Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
S22 ultra screen protector from whitestone Installed since release and no lifting.

b562cc8d5aa75d9087df5e3259924e90.jpg
Mine didn't lift either, but man did it chip....

Gotta say though, it did the job.

Reactions: Berries-A-Million

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Ok guys bare with me here :oops:, I must admit i got caught up in the Apple hype. I ordered the 14 Pro Max, Apple Watch Ultra and AirPods Pro 2 once the Apple event was over. The 14 Pro Max arrived, i have to say that over the few daysi had with it, i have been massively disappointed. I found myself preferring to use my S22 Ultra. To cut a long story short, i have now sent back my 14 Pro Max and cancelled the Apple Watch Ultra pre-order. The Airpods Pro 2, i might keep when they arrive tomorrow as i can use them with my S22 Ultra.

I definitely got caught up in the Apple hype of the September event. But overall I’m a lot more impressed with my S22 Ultra than i was with the 14 Pro Max, for the first time EVER, i have sent an Apple product back.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I definitely got caught up in the Apple hype of the September event. But overall I’m a lot more impressed with my S22 Ultra than i was with the 14 Pro Max, for the first time EVER, i have sent an Apple product back.
Yeah, most fall victim of the Apple hype that’s nothing to be ashamed of lol… but what was the reasoning behind purchasing the 14PM? And what were you disappointed with?

Reactions: 5105973 and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Yeah, most fall victim of the Apple hype that’s nothing to be ashamed of lol… but what was the reasoning behind purchasing the 14PM? And what were you disappointed with?
Mainly because I watched the event and I saw the camera upgrade and dynamic island. In reality the camera isn't much better from the 13 Pro Max (not that's noticeable anyway). The dynamic island just isn't very practical, when you have to reach up and touch the top of the display, in reality you can just open the app and do what you need to do.

Overall I was dissapointed with the battery life, which was worse than the 13 Pro Max. The always on display, just seems like the screen has been dimmed and its too distracting.

• Wow
Reactions: 5105973 and yui4

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The dynamic island just isn't very practical, when you have to reach up and touch the top of the display, in reality you can just open the app and do what you need to do.
Interesting. I thought the Dynamic Island is more of a dynamic widget… a user doesn’t necessarily have to interact with it, but provides information. I think the feature will be more useful when Live Activity arrives for it on iOS 16.1.

Overall I was dissapointed with the battery life, which was worse than the 13 Pro Max. The always on display, just seems like the screen has been dimmed and its too distracting.
Yeah, I’ve noticed people claiming to have worse battery life primarily with AOD on. For which I can understand since having that feature could impact battery life, but I have AOD set to “tap to show” on Android… I don’t have it set to “show always.”

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Ok guys bare with me here :oops:, I must admit i got caught up in the Apple hype. I ordered the 14 Pro Max, Apple Watch Ultra and AirPods Pro 2 once the Apple event was over. The 14 Pro Max arrived, i have to say that over the few daysi had with it, i have been massively disappointed. I found myself preferring to use my S22 Ultra. To cut a long story short, i have now sent back my 14 Pro Max and cancelled the Apple Watch Ultra pre-order. The Airpods Pro 2, i might keep when they arrive tomorrow as i can use them with my S22 Ultra.

Unless you are big on photography and shot in pro raw you may not notice a big difference. sounds like samsung have converted you:) glad it has worked out

Reactions: 5105973 and Dave245

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Interesting. I thought the Dynamic Island is more of a dynamic widget… a user doesn’t necessarily have to interact with it, but provides information. I think the feature will be more useful when Live Activity arrives for it on iOS 16.1.

Yeah, I’ve noticed people claiming to have worse battery life primarily with AOD on. For which I can understand since having that feature could impact battery life, but I have AOD set to “tap to show” on Android… I don’t have it set to “show always.”
You don’t have to interact with it, it’s just there. Using it isn’t as nice and seem less as the event made it out too be. It takes up more room on the screen than the old notch did. The simple hole punch on the S22 Ultra is much better as it’s less noticeable and it doesn’t take up as much room.

Battery life just hasn’t been good at all, even with the AOD turned off, it just wasn’t as good as my old 13 Pro Max was. I;m definitely sticking with the S22 Ultra.

Reactions: yui4

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Unless you are big on photography and shot in pro raw you may not notice a big difference. sounds like samsung have converted you:) glad it has worked out
Definitely they have, there is just something about the S22 Ultra that pulls me back towards it. I have to admit, for fitness the Apple Watch is better. I just couldn’t justify spending £849 on a watch that i would only use for daily runs and the London Marathon.

Reactions: jamezr

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
You don’t have to interact with it, it’s just there. Using it isn’t as nice and seem less as the event made it out too be. It takes up more room on the screen than the old notch did. The simple hole punch on the S22 Ultra is much better as it’s less noticeable and it doesn’t take up as much room.

Battery life just hasn’t been good at all, even with the AOD turned off, it just wasn’t as good as my old 13 Pro Max was. I;m definitely sticking with the S22 Ultra.
I have also been disappointed with the 14 pro max. Exact same use as my 13 pro max, which I never had to charge before going to bed and now it’s on charge around 5pm to get me through. Still got a few days in which to return

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m really happy with my 14 Pro max but I came from a 13 Pro that had wonky cameras and a display that made me physically sick. Which in turn meant I’m really coming from iPhone 11 and SE3.

I am disappointed the camera can often overprocess the delicate ambiance caused by lighting in certain scenes. There are therefore times I prefer the cameras on my iPhone 11 and SE3. But overall I’m happy with it.

I’m getting fantastic battery life in use. In standby the s22 Ultra might be better on standby, but where I live, not in use. I’ve always struggled a bit with batteries out here due to poor signal strength.

And now they apparently just brought 5G out here like in the last few days! The new modem is less thirsty.

That’s all I bought from Apple during the hypefest lol.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011

It’s been a while since I had a s22 ultra, how is the battery life for yourself now. Iirc we’re both in the uk so would be same exynos chip

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It’s been a while since I had a s22 ultra, how is the battery life for yourself now. Iirc we’re both in the uk so would be same exynos chip
I really like my S22 Ultra, the battery life has been good. For example I took mine off charge at 4am this morning, it's now 2:45pm and I have 57% left. I have listened to some music for just over an hour, send a lot of mesages on WhatsApp, a few emails and browsed the Web.

I also prefer the design of the Ultra, to me it looks better than the iPhone. The cameras are also better, with that 100x zoom. Granted that rarely gets used, however at 10x it still looks better than the iPhone 14 Pro Max did.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I really like my S22 Ultra, the battery life has been good. For example I took mine off charge at 4am this morning, it's now 2:45pm and I have 57% left. I have listened to some music for just over an hour, send a lot of mesages on WhatsApp, a few emails and browsed the Web.

I also prefer the design of the Ultra, to me it looks better than the iPhone. The cameras are also better, with that 100x zoom. Granted that rarely gets used, however at 10x it still looks better than the iPhone 14 Pro Max did.
Initiated the return for my 14 pro max with 02 and got an s22 ultra being delivered tomorrow or Wednesday. Going to give it another go as I’ve got the 14 days return policy to give it a good run

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

The S22 Ultra looks like a 2022 flagship. The iPhone 14 looks like something from 2016.

Reactions: Dave245

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The S22 Ultra looks like a 2022 flagship. The iPhone 14 looks like something from 2016.
I’ve said this elsewhere: The iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max actually now look to me like very thin point and shoot cameras with really huge displays. The lenses now take up so much of the chassis especially on the smaller Pro. They don’t really look like smartphones anymore when viewed all around. I think that’s true of some Chinese phones I’ve seen, too.

Reactions: sunking101

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
That only seems to happen to people who store the phone, those of us who use them seem fine. I have had no issues with my S22 Ultra swelling or even overheating.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
That only seems to happen to people who store the phone, those of us who use them seem fine. I have had no issues with my S22 Ultra swelling or even overheating.
S22 Ultra is still too new. Most people are starting to see this 2 years into ownership. So most S20 series phones are starting to bulge now.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
S22 Ultra is still too new. Most people are starting to see this 2 years into ownership. So most S20 series phones are starting to bulge now.

But from what i‘ve seen so far its only devices that have been stored, not ones that are being used. It definitely needs to be looked into by Samsung. If it is the case the devices bulge in storage and it’s happening with devices that are 2 years old, most people are either using their phone or have upgraded to the latest one.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
But from what i‘ve seen so far its only devices that have been stored, not ones that are being used. It definitely needs to be looked into by Samsung. If it is the case the devices bulge in storage and it’s happening with devices that are 2 years old, most people are either using their phone or have upgraded to the latest one.
Stored or not stored it shouldn’t be happening. I say Samsung users especially outside the western world keep their phones much longer than 2 years so this will be a huge concern for Asian market.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
My mother iPhone X had battery that bulge (had to replace the screen and battery because of this)… to think it only happens to Samsung is being dishonest, maybe it happens a lot quicker to Samsung phones. But Apple and other OEMs is not immune to this.

Sweatypalms557

Suspended
Sep 18, 2022
My mother iPhone X had battery that bulge (had to replace the screen and battery because of this)… to think it only happens to Samsung is being dishonest, maybe it happens a lot quicker to Samsung phones. But Apple and other OEMs is not immune to this.
looks like an issue more prevalent with Samsung phones for sure. Plenty of evidence of it. Not surprising after Note 7 explosions and airlines banning the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.