Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I am getting excited about the rumors about the upcoming Samsung Galaxy tab s9. It supposedly will offer an AMOLED screen even at the 11" model which is my favorite form factor.

It is also supposed to come with the Snapdragon 8 gen 2. I am assuming it will also have ufs 4.0 and 256gb base storage. Here is hoping anyways.

If just those things are true it would offer a serious upgrade to the tab s8.

I love my tab s8 but I have always wondered why it didn't get OLED? These tablets aren't cheap and they directly compete with the iPad Pro. To have an OLED screen, competitive processor to M series although not really close, more base storage, s pen, it would be a better tablet than the base iPad Pro.

Apple will get OLED on the iPad Pro possibly next year so the time would be good to offer it before Apple does.

If the trade in deals are decent and the price stays close to the $699 then I would be very interested in picking one up.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Mariogolf

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2021
I still use my galaxy tab s6 and it works very well. I'll stick with it as I like using it more than my ipad. I also had galaxy tab 2 which worked for me for 8 years.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
@Technerd108

I'm curious how do you juggle having a iPad and an Android tablet? Do you use one while the other is charging? Or do they serve certain roles?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well people on here have more than one phone and they seem to manage using all of them.
Completely understand. Those who have more than one phone have roles for them… some use one as a personal while the other as a work phone. Some might use one phone during the weekday, while the other on the weekend.

I was curious as to what roles they have for their tablets. It wasn’t a slight against them having multiple tablets, not sure how that came across as one.

If they are like me they just take one use it for a bit then grab the other. No rhyme or reason. It's all fun.
Oh, interesting. Do you have a preference as to which one you use the most?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
@Technerd108

I'm curious how do you juggle having a iPad and an Android tablet? Do you use one while the other is charging? Or do they serve certain roles?

I have a Mac and used to have an iPhone. To use Facetime with certain family members I find the iPad is very helpful since I don't have an iPhone anymore.

Also I have a Samsung s23 Ultra so using the tab s8 is great for connectivity between my s23 ultra s8 and Windows PC. I can text from the tablet, etc.

I find that both tablets have their strengths and weaknesses.

It is hard to say that I like one better than the other. Both are a pleasure to use. The iPad with M1 chip is just insanely capable. No slowed ever.

The tab s8 has the 120hz screen and double the storage and s pen.

I got the tab s8 on sale and with a trade in so it cost me around $300.

The iPad I got with a student discount and $100 gift card.

So I was able to get both for what a iPad Pro or tab s8 ultra would cost.

I couldn't really decide which to keep as I was going to return one of them and never did.

In day to day use I like the lightness of the iPad, I like the M1 chip, but the battery life could be better although it charges pretty fast.

The tab s8 has better battery life but takes forever to charge.

The tab s8 has a slightly better screen and aspect ratio but using both it is hard to tell a big difference even with the 120hz vs 60jz.

The quad speakers on the tab s8 are better but the stereo speakers on the iPad get almost as loud without distortion and have more bass.

Apple uses less storage by default than Samsung so even with less storage I don't have a problem on the iPad.

At the end of the day I like both but I feel like the iPad will last longer due to the M1 and Apple support. If I really had to use only one tablet I don't know what I would do..

This is why I am so excited about the tab s9. With a Snapdragon 8 gen 2 and OLED screen it would make the Galaxy tablet superior in a much more clear way than the iPad.

But the iPad still will have faster chip and better GPU. It also has a better color as I love the purple. It is physically lighter which makes it easier to handle for long periods of time.

If Apple were to come out with an M2 iPad air then it would make my choice harder but the OLED screen is a big deal on a Tablet. The IPS screen on the iPad is very good but the backlight glow is annoying specially with bigger bars at the top and bottom when streaming content which I do a lot on my tablet.

Considering that I can trade in my s8 for the S9 and I will probably wait for the S9 to be on sale when I get it I can probably pay about the same as last time or maybe less. It is hard to resist a top of the line tablet in the $300 price range.

I will say that the Samsung feels more premium and better designed. The way the s pen connects to the back of the tablet on a glass strip is pretty good design. This way it will never scratch the device like the Apple pencil scratching the iPad sides which is a common issue.

So I will probably keep my base iPad air 5th gen until Apple puts an M3 in it probably next year some time or later and upgrade the s8 this year to the S9. Then I will probably keep the S9 for a few years as well. The jump from 8 gen 1 to 8 gen 2 is pretty big and the jump from tft LCD to OLED is as well where as the iPad air might only get M2 this year and that is just not as big a deal in the iPad as the M1 is still overkill.

Apr 12, 2023
Completely understand. Those who have more than one phone have roles for them… some use one as a personal while the other as a work phone. Some might use one phone during the weekday, while the other on the weekend.

I was curious as to what roles they have for their tablets. It wasn’t a slight against them having multiple tablets, not sure how that came across as one.

Oh, interesting. Do you have a preference as to which one you use the most?
I use my iPad the most. I use the Samsung when I want a smaller, lighter tablet, or we are in our jeep exploring the backcountry.

Reactions: Technerd108

DaveOZ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
I prefer drawing on the Samsung tablets. I have a Tab S7+ and S8 Ultra. The S8 Ultra is the best tablet on the market but it is big! Great companion to the Fold.

I'm keen to see what the Tab S9 brings.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I prefer drawing on the Samsung tablets. I have a Tab S7+ and S8 Ultra. The S8 Ultra is the best tablet on the market but it is big! Great companion to the Fold.

I'm keen to see what the Tab S9 brings.

I also have the S8 Ultra, and it's going to be a hard sell to get me to upgrade to the S9 Ultra.

Reactions: Klyster

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I think upgrading any s8 larger than 11" is probably a hard sell since the larger tablets already have OLED screens. The 8 gen 1 is still more than capable and will be for a long time. So I completely agree and understand what a lot of you with the larger tabs are saying. Also since Samsung will support the tablet for several more years there is no real reason to upgrade.

My 11" is also more than capable and there is no need to upgrade even with 8 gen 1 and OLED screen. The tft LCD is amazingly good for what it is.

I was really hoping to get a Pixel tablet and sell my S8. But the Pixel tablet is a bit of a let down to me. The s8 is a better tablet already in almost every way. I was really hoping Google would have put a Tensor G3 and have more premium specs. As it is with Tensor G2, okay quad speakers, and okay screen even as much as I like Pixel UI it just doesn't cut it.

Samsung has the s pen included, Dex, better integration between devices and better update long term support. I wanted the Pixel in part hoping it might get feature drops and faster updates. I really hate that Samsung updates their premium tablets quarterly. I also have no need for a dock as I don't have any smart home devices and don't use my tablet sitting on a dock.

So if Samsung improves the storage with UFS 4.0, maybe ups ram to 12gb(probably will never happen on 11") adds OLED and for the love of God maybe adds a fun color in the mix plus 8 gen 2 and gives good trade in value then I will definitely upgrade to the S9.

I don't normally buy tablets and laptops as frequently as my phone. Tablets are generally last on my list. I just feel that the S9 with an AMOLED screen and significantly faster and more efficient processor will last longer and be more fun to use than what I have now. I would probably wait 3-5 years before I upgrade again.

Of course if Google really makes a serious tablet that could actually compete with Samsung then I might consider it but I doubt in the next couple years they will be able to compete with the S9.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Just ordered the new Tab S9. The specs are insane!
With the Snapdragon 8 gen.2 processor, 12GB RAM (512GB variant), AMOLED display and larger speakers etc it will be the perfect foil for my S23 Ultra. Shame the accessories are so expensive. I mean, £29 for the Samsung screen protector and £79 for the official folio case...ouch!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just ordered the new Tab S9. The specs are insane!
With the Snapdragon 8 gen.2 processor, 12GB RAM (512GB variant), AMOLED display and larger speakers etc it will be the perfect foil for my S23 Ultra. Shame the accessories are so expensive. I mean, £29 for the Samsung screen protector and £79 for the official folio case...ouch!

I'm surprised they didn't give away the keyboard cover for free this time.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Yeah it’s hard to see why anybody would go from s8 ultra to s9 ultra Just for the slighter upgraded chip but the regular S9 moving to OLED is a good step up

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah it’s hard to see why anybody would go from s8 ultra to s9 ultra Just for the slighter upgraded chip but the regular S9 moving to OLED is a good step up
Thing is, the LCD display on the S7 and S8 is awesone. The best non-AMOLED display ever. I'm upgrading for the NEW processor and double RAM.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Pretty much cricket's?

Anyone pre-order the tab s9 11"? This is the model I am most interested in since it had a TFT LCD display before and now has AMOLED.

Of course any other models too.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Pretty much cricket's?

Anyone pre-order the tab s9 11"? This is the model I am most interested in since it had a TFT LCD display before and now has AMOLED.

Of course any other models too.
I'm reading your post on the 11" Tab S9 right now.
I also have the Tab S7 with the LCD display. Both are great IMO. I'm not an LCD hater, especially the high quality 120Hz refresh rate displays that Samsung use. Both types of display have their pros and cons.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
I'm reading your post on the 11" Tab S9 right now.
I also have the Tab S7 with the LCD display. Both are great IMO. I'm not an LCD hater, especially the high quality 120Hz refresh rate displays that Samsung use. Both types of display have their pros and cons.
I completely agree. I don't think all the mini led snobs get that all display technology comes with trade offs. None are perfect and all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I am not a hater of a good LCD screen either. My son has a iPhone 11 and the LCD screen on that phone has been amazing. I also have an tab s8 and it has a great TFT LCD screen.

So AMOLED would be nice. Only a little more than $200 with trade in for the base model 11" which is upgraded to 256/12gb over my current 128/8 set up.

Supposedly you are also getting larger speakers, slightly bigger battery, under display fingerprint sensor.

I think the 11" is the model to get.

Reactions: sunking101

lyunmac

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2011
Trading in my Tab S8 Ultra for the S9 Ultra. It does feel a bit smoother just like my S23 Ultra. Something about the screen color is better too but I can't tell why lol. Love the beige color and I bought Samsung's folding cover for travel.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That privacy screen was a great touch and a good smart move by Samsung. Writes like paper even better than the PaperLike according to a lot of review plus you can take it off whe we you please so it doesn’t affect media or gaming or anything else you want to do including productivity apps.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Trading in my Tab S8 Ultra for the S9 Ultra. It does feel a bit smoother just like my S23 Ultra. Something about the screen color is better too but I can't tell why lol. Love the beige color and I bought Samsung's folding cover for travel.
The book cover or the keyboard cover?
I bought the book cover for my 11" S9 and it's really heavy. It makes using the tablet a much poorer experience. I want to use the Tab naked but am wary of scratching it so unsure which way to go.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
The book cover or the keyboard cover?
I bought the book cover for my 11" S9 and it's really heavy. It makes using the tablet a much poorer experience. I want to use the Tab naked but am wary of scratching it so unsure which way to go.
Why do you need the keyboard all the time?

Just have the keyboard for when you need to be productive and the rest of the time just buy an inexpensive case?

Unless you need to use the keyboard all the time?

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Oh I see.

MoKo Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab S9 11-Inch 2023 (SM-X710/716B/718U) with S-Pen Holder, Hand Strap, Pocket, Multi-Angle Viewing Folding Stand Folio Cover Case for Galaxy Tab S9 2023, Blue Starry Sky https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Samsung-11-Inch-SM-X710-Multi-Angle/dp/B0CBRRY26J

Here is just one example of many on Amazon. Doesn't add too much weight. Unfortunately most cases that have a screen cover are going to add some weight.

I find it so odd that the Samsung case adds so much weight. That really does discourage use. Maybe you could return it? If it was free then you could sell it on Swappa or eBay and then buy another case that is a better fit.

No reason for a case to ruin a great tablet!

Amazon also usually has a generic magnetic case for the galaxy tab s8 and in some time should also have one for the S9 which costs a lot less and from what I have read for the s8 is not heavy?

Otherwise there are a lot of generic cases for around $20 in different designs and there are some with just a case on the tablet but no cover for the screen which are very cheap and some with a "military" build and can cost a bit more depending.

Last edited:
Reactions: sunking101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.