Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Hmm, quite a few will assume this is the foldable Galaxy X, but I don't think so. The “Samsung’s newest Galaxy device is bringing more ways to express yourself than ever before.” line has me a bit confused, and very interested.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
It seems to me like a Galaxy Camera or something. 4x being optical zoom. Or a 4x optical zoom camera attachment for the Note? I don't think it's the foldable galaxy as that will likely be unveiled at a Samsung developers conference later this year.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Well so far on YouTube and pretty much every comment section on every media page I’ve seen so far people are absolutely furious about the iPhone prices. I could have ordered a silver 256 GB unlocked Max for launch day pickup at an Apple store not too far from my house as recently as a couple of hours ago. The little Xs’s are still available for pickup in some stores. So maybe someone at Samsung is keeping an eye on all the comments from people saying “That does it, I am switching to Samsung” and going to take the lid off something that they were originally going to save for later. Doesn’t mean they will sell it, but they want to present it while the Apple angst is at an all time high.

Usually I come to these forums or see the remarks and there’s a lot of excitement for iPhones. But now all I see is “Apple is so petty, they charge $1000 for a phone and can’t even include a dongle or a fast charger.”

“I hate Apple. Apple sucks.”

It’s not a cheery atmosphere for us isheeple. And I say that term with affection.

Even I, a person who has no other hobbies to speak of at the moment, who is known to splurge on tech, had to kind of pick and choose and cut some corners from my usual “OMG go big or go home” attitude toward maxing out the storage and anything else that can be maxed out.

I even had to trade in my silver Nike LTE watch that I didn’t really want to give up yet so I can get that new series 4. Fortunately I get to keep my trusty black series 2 for the pool. No way I’m swimming with a $700 gold steel watch in a pool. I don’t care if it’s ip 68 or not. I’ve got to make this one last a couple of years for sure. No upgrading for next year.

Still, I’m not negative. I think the 2018 Apple iPhones and watches look fine. I’ve got no complaints myself. I don’t like the prices either though. Apple pushed them up even for Android enthusiasts.

I think this mystery thing is a phone but goodness knows what it could really be. It’s Samsung after all. They’re crazy like Steve Job was back in the day.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Well so far on YouTube and pretty much every comment section on every media page I’ve seen so far people are absolutely furious about the iPhone prices. I could have ordered a silver 256 GB unlocked Max for launch day pickup at an Apple store not too far from my house as recently as a couple of hours ago. The little Xs’s are still available for pickup in some stores. So maybe someone at Samsung is keeping an eye on all the comments from people saying “That does it, I am switching to Samsung” and going to take the lid off something that they were originally going to save for later. Doesn’t mean they will sell it, but they want to present it while the Apple angst is at an all time high.

Usually I come to these forums or see the remarks and there’s a lot of excitement for iPhones. But now all I see is “Apple is so petty, they charge $1000 for a phone and can’t even include a dongle or a fast charger.”

“I hate Apple. Apple sucks.”

It’s not a cheery atmosphere for us isheeple. And I say that term with affection.

Even I, a person who has no other hobbies to speak of at the moment, who is known to splurge on tech, had to kind of pick and choose and cut some corners from my usual “OMG go big or go home” attitude toward maxing out the storage and anything else that can be maxed out.

I even had to trade in my silver Nike LTE watch that I didn’t really want to give up yet so I can get that new series 4. Fortunately I get to keep my trusty black series 2 for the pool. No way I’m swimming with a $700 gold steel watch in a pool. I don’t care if it’s ip 68 or not. I’ve got to make this one last a couple of years for sure. No upgrading for next year.

Still, I’m not negative. I think the 2018 Apple iPhones and watches look fine. I’ve got no complaints myself. I don’t like the prices either though. Apple pushed them up even for Android enthusiasts.

I think this mystery thing is a phone but goodness knows what it could really be. It’s Samsung after all. They’re crazy like Steve Job was back in the day.

We see the same grumbling about prices every event. Yes, Apple is hitting a new high with the Xs Max but it's priced exactly where everyone speculated it would be for the past year. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Also, the Xr is actual priced lower than last year's 8 plus and IMO, it's a better overall phone than the 8 Plus was.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
We see the same grumbling about prices every event. Yes, Apple is hitting a new high with the Xs Max but it's priced exactly where everyone speculated it would be for the past year. I don't know why anyone is surprised.

Also, the Xr is actual priced lower than last year's 8 plus and IMO, it's a better overall phone than the 8 Plus was.
I think the outcry over prices is the most overwhelming I’ve ever seen it though. My goodness even my brother-in-law went with Samsung last year. I had no idea until a few days ago. He can barely navigate his way through most of the options but he’s happy as can be. He got an S8 on steep discount somewhere. That’s not a good sign if he moved on from Apple.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I think the outcry over prices is the most overwhelming I’ve ever seen it though. My goodness even my brother-in-law went with Samsung last year. I had no idea until a few days ago. He can barely navigate his way through most of the options but he’s happy as can be. He got an S8 on steep discount somewhere. That’s not a good sign if he moved on from Apple.

Not many people were complaining when Samsung released the note 9 at $1250.

49ca37c29da0527ab157af922fd0d160.png

Samsung isn’t known to let Apple raise their prices with following suit, I expect the galaxy s10 will match the iPhone Xs price range next year.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
Not many people were complaining when Samsung released the note 9 at $1200.

Lol oh yes they were, but not as bad. A lot of people agreed it brings a lot to the table. At least I the comments I’ve seen.

The Note series is in a different class entirely. It helps they also retain a headphone jack and give away enticing free gifts. Apple just looks so petty to people for withholding some basics. Samsung will pack in adapters and nice earbuds. Google was pretty petty last year, too. Google and Apple make American companies look so miserly.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not many people were complaining when Samsung released the note 9 at $1200.

To be fair, market for the Note doesn't compare to the iPhone and considering the diminished buzz for it (my opinion only), I don't think it's going to sell very well either.

And to be clear, I'm not disagreeing that Apple's prices aren't reaching a new stratosphere but they really aren't that different from last year either. Apple has always been at the top of the industry in regards to price.

I do think the entire industry is starting to suffer from price fatigue and if anything, there might be some significant consumer pushback in the next year or two.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I’m one of the biggest grumblers every year and I still get the new iPhone. My yearly upgrade is coming up in December but I think I might just buy out my contract and upgrade early.

I’m grumbling more over the lack of new features rather than the price. We all knew it would be expensive like you said.
[doublepost=1536960384][/doublepost]
Lol oh yes they were, but not as bad. A lot of people agreed it brings a lot to the table. At least I the comments I’ve seen.

The Note series is in a different class entirely. It helps they also retain a headphone jack and give away enticing free gifts. Apple just looks so petty to people for withholding some basics. Samsung will pack in adapters and nice earbuds. Google was pretty petty last year, too. Google and Apple make American companies look so miserly.
In the UK it’s only £1099 which is less than the 2017 iPhone X 256GB. For that you get 512GB of storage, 8GB of ram, an S pen and lots of other other Samsung goodies.

The 512GB iPhone Xs Max is £1449.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
To be fair, market for the Note doesn't compare to the iPhone and considering the diminished buzz for it (my opinion only), I don't think it's going to sell very well either.

And to be clear, I'm not disagreeing that Apple's prices aren't reaching a new stratosphere but they really aren't that different from last year either. Apple has always been at the top of the industry in regards to price.

I do think the entire industry is starting to suffer from price fatigue and if anything, there might be some significant consumer pushback in the next year or two.

I agree.
Analysts are predicting Apple to sell about 86 million iPhones in 2018 , 50% is suppose to be the iPhone xr, the rest is divided between the iPhone xs and iPhone xs max; Or about 8.5 million units of the iPhone xs max per month, I think Apple can pull that off.

Don’t think the note 9 can come close to that either.

Regarding consumer pushback, i believe consumers are going to spend less and less on secondary or tertiary phones and stick to one, the dual sim might just be a Trojan horse.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Not many people were complaining when Samsung released the note 9 at $1250.

Samsung isn’t known to let Apple raise their prices with following suit, I expect the galaxy s10 will match the iPhone Xs price range next year.
$1250 for the max storage and max ram, let’s not forget free wireless headphones on the pre orders as well. That option for Apple is over $1500 and that’s just a storage bump, not even fast charging out of the box. Nobody in their right mind can argue that Apple comes close to value for money spent this year. They ripped their customers blind this year.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
$1250 for the max storage and max ram, let’s not forget free wireless headphones on the pre orders as well. That option for Apple is over $1500 and that’s just a storage bump, not even fast charging out of the box. Nobody in their right mind can argue that Apple comes close to value for money spent this year. They ripped their customers blind this year.

Faster 3D facial biometrics, 7 nm processor, 8 core npu, stainless steel and glass, nvme storage, flat oled display with support for Dolby vision, updated cameras with computational photography, gigabit modem with 4x4 mimo, improved stereo speakers, faster wireless charging. Doesn’t feel like Apple customers are getting ripped off, looks like a solid upgrade.

What did the note 9 get over the s9?
Bigger battery and a stylus.
What did the note 9 get over the note 8?
Again not much.
To me that feels like rip off and Samsung knows it, hence the clearance items, sorry freebies thrown in for perceived added value and 50% off promotions from carriers.

Couldn’t they have atleast replaced ufs with nvme?
Or offered Dolby vision for such a big screen?
How about being able to record in 4K for longer than 5 min?

That’s not asking for much, is it?

512GB of nvme isn’t the same as 512GB of ufs not in performance or price, the price is justified.

Consumers could care less about a set of headphones Samsung threw in for free because they couldn’t sell them at retail, most just end up flooding online marketplace.
Personally I don’t see the value in that.

And I don’t see the value of another charging brick. I have so many littered around my home and office form Apple and other oems, I haven’t even taken one out of smartphone box since 2011.

I guarantee you, the ultimate version of the s10 will be priced at 1500 or over, just like iPhone max.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Comparing the note 9 to the note 8 since that’s the phone it replaced

Better processor
More ram
More storage
Better camera
Improved spen
Improved screen
Stereo speakers
Improved LTE performance
Improved facial recognition unlocking
Can be hooked to a mouse, keyboard and monitor with a simple cable and be used as a computer.

So basically improved in all areas Apple did from their last years model and then some. But didnt go and rip their customers blind at $1500+

And I have yet to hear anyone complain saying the internal storage on their note isn’t fast enough, especially considering they can actually run theirs like a windows system and have 20 windows running at once and be just fine. You can’t even run the xs max in split window!

Like I said, an idiot to think Apple gave any kind of value to justify this price point

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018

They have BOGO deals on the Note 9. They have $200 off at I believe Best Buy right now. Sams had $200 gift card. The headphones are $300 headphones they are giving out free.

Samsung gives a lot to make up for the price. Unlike Apple, they ream you to the bank.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Faster 3D facial biometrics, 7 nm processor, 8 core npu, stainless steel and glass, nvme storage, flat oled display with support for Dolby vision, updated cameras with computational photography, gigabit modem with 4x4 mimo, improved stereo speakers, faster wireless charging. Doesn’t feel like Apple customers are getting ripped off, looks like a solid upgrade.

What did the note 9 get over the s9?
Bigger battery and a stylus.
What did the note 9 get over the note 8?
Again not much.
To me that feels like rip off and Samsung knows it, hence the clearance items, sorry freebies thrown in for perceived added value and 50% off promotions from carriers.

Couldn’t they have atleast replaced ufs with nvme?
Or offered Dolby vision for such a big screen?
How about being able to record in 4K for longer than 5 min?

That’s not asking for much, is it?

512GB of nvme isn’t the same as 512GB of ufs not in performance or price, the price is justified.

Consumers could care less about a set of headphones Samsung threw in for free because they couldn’t sell them at retail, most just end up flooding online marketplace.
Personally I don’t see the value in that.

And I don’t see the value of another charging brick. I have so many littered around my home and office form Apple and other oems, I haven’t even taken one out of smartphone box since 2011.

I guarantee you, the ultimate version of the s10 will be priced at 1500 or over, just like iPhone max.

Just a question as you have some points, but if its a solid upgrade why are a lot of people not recommending the upgrade from the model X? With most reviews stating its a great upgrade which it is from the 7 or 8.

Because then the note 9 would also be a fantastic upgrade from say the defunct 7 or s7? Same logic applies

I had both the note 8 and now the note 9 its not a massive jump but the little additionals are well worth the extra £50 it cost over the previous model.

So lets see what i got for that extra £50, off the top of my head

Stereo Speakers
Faster Processor
faster Memory
Bigger battery with serious battery life
a spen with even more functionality (bluetooth enabled)
Dual aperture camera
Better cameras overall
Dolby Atmos support for those who care about that (not me)
Additional software Features
True Dual Sim supporting all carriers (no esim supported by few)
Faster LTE which was already fast

Oh and yeah 128gb instead of 64gb internal memory

As for NVME, im sorry but thats irrelevant in a phone for most use cases. My samsung NVME drive can read at 3500mb in my hackintosh which is great, but seriously in a phone that speed is not required to open a 16mb facebook app, and even sd cards are fast enough to record 60fps 4k so what benefit does nvme bring. Dont get me wrong its a nice to have but far from a requirement

All that for just £50 crisp ones extra. Oh and the same accessories as last year (didn't remove anything)

Also just my opinion but i do believe apple are fleecing people not only by removing dongles which cost them nothing to include, but by also not including a fast charger in the box (regardless if you have loads not every one is you!) i mean thats just seriously dumb

And then theres this

When the Note9 was released in the US it was priced $999 during keynote and translated to £899 in the uk, yet apples iphone xs was released at $1099 which translated into £1099, so unless apple uses a mysterious exchange rate no one else is aware of, they are fleecing people for an extra £100 quid give or take for nothing. That is blatantly a rip off.

Reactions: iSilas and Sevanw

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Comparing the note 9 to the note 8 since that’s the phone it replaced

Better processor
More ram
More storage
Better camera
Improved spen
Improved screen
Stereo speakers
Improved LTE performance
Improved facial recognition unlocking
Can be hooked to a mouse, keyboard and monitor with a simple cable and be used as a computer.

So basically improved in all areas Apple did from their last years model and then some. But didnt go and rip their customers blind at $1500+

And I have yet to hear anyone complain saying the internal storage on their note isn’t fast enough, especially considering they can actually run theirs like a windows system and have 20 windows running at once and be just fine. You can’t even run the xs max in split window!

Like I said, an idiot to think Apple gave any kind of value to justify this price point

Samsungs storage has been faster than Apples for years. Apple is just catching up this year with faster storage. But you do any benchmarks on the Note 8,9,S9 and they kill the iPhones when you test all the hardware and not just the cpu.
[doublepost=1537027510][/doublepost]
Just a question as you have some points, but if its a solid upgrade why are a lot of people not recommending the upgrade from the model X? With most reviews stating its a great upgrade which it is from the 7 or 8.

Because then the note 9 would also be a fantastic upgrade from say the defunct 7 or s7? Same logic applies

I had both the note 8 and now the note 9 its not a massive jump but the little additionals are well worth the extra £50 it cost over the previous model.

So lets see what i got for that extra £50, off the top of my head

Stereo Speakers
Faster Processor
Bigger battery with serious battery life
a spen with even more functionality (bluetooth enabled)
Dual aperture camera
Better cameras overall
Dolby Atmos support for those who care about that (not me)

Oh and yeah 128gb instead of 64gb internal memory

All that for just £50 crisp ones extra. Oh and the same accessories as last year (didnt remove anything)

Also just my opinion but i do believe apple are fleecing people not only by removing dongles which cost them nothing to include, but by also not including a fast charger in the box (regardless if you have loads not every one is you!) i mean thats just seriously dumb

And then theres this

When the Note9 was released in the US it was priced $999 during keynote and translated to £899 in the uk, yet apples iphone xs was released at $1099 which translated into £1099, so unless apple uses a mysterious exchange rate no one else is aware of, they are fleecing people for an extra £100 quid give or take for nothing. That is blatantly a rip off.

FYI, you aren't going to convince FFR. He is always been for Apple and against Android and changes the way he posts to make things look better his way. Researching his posts, is comical.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.