Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Samsungs storage has been faster than Apples for years. Apple is just catching up this year with faster storage. But you do any benchmarks on the Note 8,9,S9 and they kill the iPhones when you test all the hardware and not just the cpu.
[doublepost=1537027510][/doublepost]

FYI, you aren't going to convince FFR. He is always been for Apple and against Android and changes the way he posts to make things look better his way. Researching his posts, is comical.

Yeah i know but im in the feed the troll kinda mood, it was this or *******, this won

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Just a question as you have some points, but if its a solid upgrade why are a lot of people not recommending the upgrade from the model X? With most reviews stating its a great upgrade which it is from the 7 or 8.

Because then the note 9 would also be a fantastic upgrade from say the defunct 7 or s7? Same logic applies

I had both the note 8 and now the note 9 its not a massive jump but the little additionals are well worth the extra £50 it cost over the previous model.

So lets see what i got for that extra £50, off the top of my head

Stereo Speakers
Faster Processor
faster Memory
Bigger battery with serious battery life
a spen with even more functionality (bluetooth enabled)
Dual aperture camera
Better cameras overall
Dolby Atmos support for those who care about that (not me)
Additional software Features
True Dual Sim supporting all carriers (no esim supported by few)
Faster LTE which was already fast

Oh and yeah 128gb instead of 64gb internal memory

As for NVME, im sorry but thats irrelevant in a phone for most use cases. My samsung NVME drive can read at 3500mb in my hackintosh which is great, but seriously in a phone that speed is not required to open a 16mb facebook app, and even sd cards are fast enough to record 60fps 4k so what benefit does nvme bring. Dont get me wrong its a nice to have but far from a requirement

All that for just £50 crisp ones extra. Oh and the same accessories as last year (didn't remove anything)

Also just my opinion but i do believe apple are fleecing people not only by removing dongles which cost them nothing to include, but by also not including a fast charger in the box (regardless if you have loads not every one is you!) i mean thats just seriously dumb

And then theres this

When the Note9 was released in the US it was priced $999 during keynote and translated to £899 in the uk, yet apples iphone xs was released at $1099 which translated into £1099, so unless apple uses a mysterious exchange rate no one else is aware of, they are fleecing people for an extra £100 quid give or take for nothing. That is blatantly a rip off.
A good point on the exchange rate, Apple absolutely raped Canada as well with their prices. $2k for their top storage xs max.

I know Canadian dollar is weaker than USD. But it’s not a $500 difference on the top phone

Reactions: thering1975

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well so far on YouTube and pretty much every comment section on every media page I’ve seen so far people are absolutely furious about the iPhone prices. I could have ordered a silver 256 GB unlocked Max for launch day pickup at an Apple store not too far from my house as recently as a couple of hours ago. The little Xs’s are still available for pickup in some stores. So maybe someone at Samsung is keeping an eye on all the comments from people saying “That does it, I am switching to Samsung” and going to take the lid off something that they were originally going to save for later. Doesn’t mean they will sell it, but they want to present it while the Apple angst is at an all time high.

Usually I come to these forums or see the remarks and there’s a lot of excitement for iPhones. But now all I see is “Apple is so petty, they charge $1000 for a phone and can’t even include a dongle or a fast charger.”

“I hate Apple. Apple sucks.”

It’s not a cheery atmosphere for us isheeple. And I say that term with affection.

Even I, a person who has no other hobbies to speak of at the moment, who is known to splurge on tech, had to kind of pick and choose and cut some corners from my usual “OMG go big or go home” attitude toward maxing out the storage and anything else that can be maxed out.

I even had to trade in my silver Nike LTE watch that I didn’t really want to give up yet so I can get that new series 4. Fortunately I get to keep my trusty black series 2 for the pool. No way I’m swimming with a $700 gold steel watch in a pool. I don’t care if it’s ip 68 or not. I’ve got to make this one last a couple of years for sure. No upgrading for next year.

Still, I’m not negative. I think the 2018 Apple iPhones and watches look fine. I’ve got no complaints myself. I don’t like the prices either though. Apple pushed them up even for Android enthusiasts.

I think this mystery thing is a phone but goodness knows what it could really be. It’s Samsung after all. They’re crazy like Steve Job was back in the day.
You know as well as I (and everyone else), what is posted online is a small sampling of the vocal minority. Not the silent majority.

The Note 9 clearly validated the higher prices Apple charges, whether one believes their (either Apple or Samsung) phones are worth the price or not.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
You know as well as I (and everyone else), what is posted online is a small sampling of the vocal minority. Not the silent majority.

The Note 9 clearly validated the higher prices Apple charges, whether one believes their (either Apple or Samsung) phones are worth the price or not.

I agree and to be fair 1k+ for a phone is, lets be honest stupid money. Regardless if its Apple or Samsung or whomever, I got 400 off trading in my note 8 which is a little less than ebay but no risk so i thought what the hell (plus a juicy ppi came in). If there was no trade in then i doubt i would have been bothered to upgrade as the 8 was a nice device

Reactions: I7guy

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Probably 4 product lines being introduced......they still have the high end chrome OS devices to introduce for this year, the bixby smart speaker, windows 10 devices (possible galaxy book replacements), and a introduction of their foldable phone technology and true prototype. (Product diversity and innovation....something lacking with other big brand companies:apple:;))
[doublepost=1537035713][/doublepost]
Well folks, looks like this is the A9 Pro, according to Jon Rettinger on Twitter.

https://www.technobuffalo.com/2018/09/14/samsung-galaxy-a-series-announcement-october-11/

It's a real event now according to the verge...so it's not just this.....this can easily be released with online advertising

Last edited:
Reactions: Cryates

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
It's a real event now according to the verge...so it's not just this.....this can easily be released with online advertisin
Ah, good to know. Jon Rettinger kinda sucks anyhow, so I was hesitant to post that to begin with.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Samsungs storage has been faster than Apples for years. Apple is just catching up this year with faster storage. But you do any benchmarks on the Note 8,9,S9 and they kill the iPhones when you test all the hardware and not just the cpu.
[doublepost=1537027510][/doublepost]

FYI, you aren't going to convince FFR. He is always been for Apple and against Android and changes the way he posts to make things look better his way. Researching his posts, is comical.

Aren’t you the poster that claims your note 8 is 5g.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I heard they are announcing the A9 Star Pro with 4 cameras, not sure if true. Maybe the rumored flexible phone? That would be pretty cool to see.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
@FFR is there going to be any point where you let other people find value where it fits them? You're seemingly on this witch-hunt against folks who find the Note9 more valuable to them. Not everyone is going to agree with you, and not everyone will agree with me, and that's okay. The things you care about (you might be the only person dragging on and on about ufs vs nvme), may not be things anyone else cares about. I've yet to see you say one positive thing about the Note9, nothing but throwing negatives back in others faces. To you, maybe it's not worth a dollar, but you can't seem to accept the fact that other folks see the iPhone in the same light. These are personal tools, and every person can spend their money where it's valuable for them.

Somehow, as much as you clearly hate Samsung, you continue finding yourself in this forum of all forums.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
@FFR is there going to be any point where you let other people find value where it fits them? You're seemingly on this wittch-hunt against folks who find the Note9 more valuable to them. Not everyone is going to agree with you, and not everyone will agree with me, and that's okay. The things you care about (you might be the only person dragging on and on about ufs vs nvme), may not be things anyone else cares about. I've yet to see you say one positive thing about the Note9, nothing but throwing negatives back in others faces. To you, maybe it's not worth a dollar, but you can't seem to accept the fact that other folks see the iPhone in the same light. These are personal tools, and every person can spend their money where it's valuable for them.

Somehow, as much as you clearly hate Samsung, you continue finding yourself in this forum of all forums.

Sure find all the value you want, I was discussing hardware don’t know why people take it personally.

Ufs vs nvme are standards one is better than the other, Samsung will eventually adopt it for their smartphone line.

I have been in the industry a long time and have a lot of friends that work for Samsung as well as Apple and google. None of them take it personally as some do here.

I have even attended some of Samsung past unpacked events.

From the s5 unveiling:
3ab5786bafdf10748835c970b692a86b.jpg

0cdbe8b653934190f8bf12dad4a4def6.jpg

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
Aren’t you the poster that claims your note 8 is 5g.

AT&T and other companies say it is, EOD.
[doublepost=1537038616][/doublepost]
Sure find all the value you want, I was discussing hardware don’t know why people take it personally.

Ufs vs nvme are standards one is better than the other, Samsung will eventually adopt it for their smartphone line.

I have been in the industry a long time and have a lot of friends that work for Samsung as well as Apple and google. None of them take it personally as some do here.

Laugh, they don't need to adopt it. Samsung's is already faster. I also have friends that work at Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, and so on. But you on the other hand are the only person here that is so negatively emotional about other phones that aren't Apples, that it makes every conversation not fun to have on this site. Honestly, you need to go away as you ruin this site.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

From the s5 unveiling:
3ab5786bafdf10748835c970b692a86b.jpg

0cdbe8b653934190f8bf12dad4a4def6.jpg
Eh, I don't take it personally at all. I just see you rehashing the same bullet points over and over to anyone who thinks the Note is worth their money moreso than the iPhone. People don't need to hear the same rehashed points over and over again to make the right decision for them. If it works for you, that's great and I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

I use my free throw-in headphones every day btw fwiw.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
When fanboys think they know more than the top SSD manufacturer. Perhaps Samsung chose UFS for mobile for the combination of performance and lower power consumption.

Even Vivo Nex with UFS 2.1 is already faster than iPhone X.

UFS 3.0 is even faster with max total data rate of 2900 MB/s vs UFS 2.1 1200 MB/s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Flash_Storage

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
When fanboys think they know more than the top SSD manufacturer. Perhaps Samsung chose UFS for mobile for the combination of performance and lower power consumption.

Even Vivo Nex with UFS 2.1 is already faster than iPhone X.

UFS 3.0 is even faster with max total data rate of 2900 MB/s vs UFS 2.1 1200 MB/s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Flash_Storage

That’s great and all, but it won’t change the fact the iPhone X sold a ton. It won’t change the fact the XS will sell too.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
That’s great and all, but it won’t change the fact the iPhone X sold a ton. It won’t change the fact the XS will sell too.
Yeah, and no one said they wouldn't...? It's funny how sales get brought into a conversation that was never about sales. I also don't think anyone (except FFR, apparently) is rushing to buy an iPhone because "oh my god it has nvme!". They buy iPhone for the other hundred reasons.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, and no one said they wouldn't...? It's funny how sales get brought into a conversation that was never about sales. I also don't think anyone (except FFR, apparently) is rushing to buy an iPhone because "oh my god it has nvme!". They buy iPhone for the other hundred reasons.

I am just saying because it was a comparison between a Vivo and iPhone X w/ UFS storage. If storage writing speeds were really significant, then it would factor into sales. If anything, it's a conversation point and could be something an Arstechnica could explain why it's important for a Samsung or a Vivo product.

I brought in sales because when people compare an iPhone to an Android device, it's not the same comparison. Apple products may have some inherent advantages, like FaceID and the 7nm processor, but they're lacking elsewhere. RAM, flash storage writing speeds, quick charge speeds, etc.

Those things aren't needed for Apple to make the sales, so it's not a fair comparison because they're not going to stick all the best of the best tech in there. Notice how Band 71 LTE just got into an iPhone XS/XS Max/XR along with dual sim capabilities? All that stuff has been on Android for a little bit longer, so of course Apple is going to overhype inclusions like dual SIM tech.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I am just saying because it was a comparison between a Vivo and iPhone X w/ UFS storage. If storage writing speeds were really significant, then it would factor into sales. If anything, it's a conversation point and could be something an Arstechnica could explain why it's important for a Samsung or a Vivo product.

I brought in sales because when people compare an iPhone to an Android device, it's not the same comparison. Apple products may have some inherent advantages, like FaceID and the 7nm processor, but they're lacking elsewhere. RAM, flash storage writing speeds, quick charge speeds, etc.

Those things aren't needed for Apple to make the sales, so it's not a fair comparison because they're not going to stick all the best of the best tech in there. Notice how Band 71 LTE just got into an iPhone XS/XS Max/XR along with dual sim capabilities? All that stuff has been on Android for a little bit longer, so of course Apple is going to overhype inclusions like dual SIM tech.

Sales are irrelevant.

Reactions: iSilas

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Sales are irrelevant.

On the contrary, they're important enough to discuss. Notice how HTC is getting closer to irrelevance and obscurity? Notice how Samsung is the most dominant force in the Android sphere? Notice how lethargic Apple can be and still make crazy sales? Without the market shaped as it is, we couldn't discuss why the XR has a 850p display or why Samsung may push its foldable display tech to a later point in time.

For starters, Samsung pushed curved displays and allowed itself to test the market. Since their products are super popular, they know they could push foldable display tech and possibly sell a ton of the product.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
On the contrary, they're important enough to discuss. Notice how HTC is getting closer to irrelevance and obscurity? Notice how Samsung is the most dominant force in the Android sphere? Notice how lethargic Apple can be and still make crazy sales? Without the market shaped as it is, we couldn't discuss why the XR has a 850p display or why Samsung may push its foldable display tech to a later point in time.

For starters, Samsung pushed curved displays and allowed itself to test the market. Since their products are super popular, they know they could push foldable display tech and possibly sell a ton of the product.

But the iPhone selling more than any other phone says nothing about the quality of the iPhone. HTC going bankrupt says little about the quality of their phones.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

I think the storage issue was brought up because originally FFR claimed that there were no new features on the note 9. When someone pointed out having 512GB of internal storage as an improvement it was rubbished as being slow and inefficient and not as good as the storage on the iPhone. No one is saying that having UFS makes a phone better than the iPhone or that it will suddenly outsell the iPhone.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
It is a sad state of affairs as well as amusing how people get so personal over a brand.and whilst both camps have there cheerleaders the vitriol on here sometimes ott.

I was on xda site which is a dev site and mainly android. And someone was discussing why they were not getting the new pixel and felt there next choice would be an iPhone x.

And the response from the forum was pretty much..you got to get what is best for you and enjoy it. No foaming at the mouth.

I dont like iOS, I dont like getting less for more price/features specs imho but I can appreciate how nice iPhones look and how good the eco system is.

And I would never knock someone choice cos its none of my business and not my money.

Is the note 9 a perfect phone, not at all it's missing something, and anyone who had the note 7 will understand that as the 7 was the perfect marriage of hardware and software, and I dont have the same attachment to it with the 8 or 9.

Whatever Samsung releases will hopefully spur companies to push forward and hopefully apple will come up with some fresh ideas too and bring a bit of excitement back to the game, otherwise we are just going to enter the cycle amd and Intel fell into, stagnation and that benefits none.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It is a sad state of affairs as well as amusing how people get so personal over a brand.and whilst both camps have there cheerleaders the vitriol on here sometimes ott.

I was on xda site which is a dev site and mainly android. And someone was discussing why they were not getting the new pixel and felt there next choice would be an iPhone x.

And the response from the forum was pretty much..you got to get what is best for you and enjoy it. No foaming at the mouth.

I dont like iOS, I dont like getting less for more price/features specs imho but I can appreciate how nice iPhones look and how good the eco system is.

And I would never knock someone choice cos its none of my business and not my money.

Is the note 9 a perfect phone, not at all it's missing something, and anyone who had the note 7 will understand that as the 7 was the perfect marriage of hardware and software, and I dont have the same attachment to it with the 8 or 9.

Whatever Samsung releases will hopefully spur companies to push forward and hopefully apple will come up with some fresh ideas too and bring a bit of excitement back to the game, otherwise we are just going to enter the cycle amd and Intel fell into, stagnation and that benefits none.

Well said. There are absolutely small (thankfully) contingents of supporters for specific OEMs (<cough>Apple and Samsung<cough>) who see them as incapable of doing no wrong and either never acknowledge their preferred company's shortcomings or any positive aspects of their competitors. I've just learned to tune them out and let them fade into the background....or just hit the ignore button. ;)

Makes discussions around here far more pleasant and useful.

Reactions: thering1975
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.