Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Yeah not great. You can enable Samsung cloud though. Also downloading Samsung pay is not a big deal. But it does highlight Samsung's lack of balls in how they completely fold to the carriers. My Note 5 on AT&T had stuff missing as well and I'm sure the Note 7 does also, I believe the AT&T version also has Samsung cloud hidden.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Yeah I read that, absolutely terrible. But they know they have the best network and rely on that. I'm curious how this year turns out for them. From what I understand even though they added subs, their profits were still down, and they also spent a crapload of money on Yahoo. I'd mention their raising data prices, but after Tmobile drastically raised theirs I don't think the spotlight is on Verizon anymore. I have a feeling Verizon won't have the best year, but they also won't change.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yet, their coverage and service is still the best out there (and this jives with my findings too). While it does suck and I wish that Samsung would be like Apple with regards to keeping Verizon junk and bloat off the phones, I still stick with them due to coverage and we get a good discount on service. The only other carrier I'd switch to (i.e. go back to) is AT&T due to service. But they do the same exact thing which is pitiful.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/23/rootmetrics-h1-2016/

Last edited:
Reactions: spinedoc77

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
You would think Samsung has enough clout at this point to avoid this. I would imagine it would be detrimental to any carrier at this point to not offer the Samsung or Apple flagship device.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Samsung needs to make a concerted effort to drive uniformity among the different carrier versions and to put forth a "standard" version irrespective of whatever carrier you use.

Until that happens, I have serious reservations buying their phones.

Who wants to buy a phone and then discover the performance and software is different because the carrier has more say then the manufacturer themselves on what it runs.

That's crazy.

Reactions: tbayrgs

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Samsung needs to make a concerted effort to drive uniformity among the different carrier versions and to put forth a "standard" version irrespective of whatever carrier you use.

Until that happens, I have serious reservations buying their phones.

Who wants to buy a phone and then discover the performance and software is different because the carrier has more say then the manufacturer themselves on what it runs.

That's crazy.

This, and the fact that they produce 2 versions with different processors. the snapdragon and exynos variants. And past evidence points to the exynos variants being better refined (speed and battery savings VS. the snapdragon version).

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I know I sound like a broken record but this is exactly why so many phones don't even register in my radar--being hamstrung by carriers. I now won't even think twice about a phone unless it can be had unlocked and carrier free. But then you often still pay a penalty because carriers will restrict functionality like wifi calling, etc, to only their sanctioned models.

And Samsung is at much at fault as the carriers because they're willing to sell their soul on the off chance that it may generate a few extra sales. If Samsung grew a pair and took a hardline stance, they could end these practices. You think Verizon, or any other carrier want to be the sole US carrier that doesn't get the next Galaxy or Note?

Reactions: gotluck

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I know I sound like a broken record but this is exactly why so many phones don't even register in my radar--being hamstrung by carriers. I now won't even think twice about a phone unless it can be had unlocked and carrier free. But then you often still pay a penalty because carriers will restrict functionality like wifi calling, etc, to only their sanctioned models.

And Samsung is at much at fault as the carriers because they're willing to sell their soul on the off chance that it may generate a few extra sales. If Samsung grew a pair and took a hardline stance, they could end these practices. You think Verizon, or any other carrier want to be the sole US carrier that doesn't get the next Galaxy or Note?

Unlocked and carrier-free are nice, but not must-haves for me. The former can be requested once the phone is paid off.

But yeah, Samsung needs to put their foot down and drive this bus. Anything less, just ain't gonna cut it.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The only thing good from Verizon LTE phones is they usually come unlocked. Getting iPhones from Verizon is actually beneficial than if you got iPhones from Sprint or T-Mobile. But it only applies to iPhones which are left unscathed. I hate Verizon bloatware and their big, ugly carrier branding. Avoid Androids on Verizon but iPhones are okay since you don't deal with bloatware or carrier branding and come unlocked.

Man, I am turned off by the Snapdragon 820 of the Note7. The best variant is limited to China which I find annoying! I want Exynos / 128gb / 6gb RAM to have the best Note7 variant. It's only about $60 more and China will get it on September 2nd. The USA models are all inferior to me. Might just have to import it from China if battery issues and hiccups start occuring often with the USA version.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Yet, their coverage and service is still the best out there (and this jives with my findings too). While it does suck and I wish that Samsung would be like Apple with regards to keeping Verizon junk and bloat off the phones, I still stick with them due to coverage and we get a good discount on service. The only other carrier I'd switch to (i.e. go back to) is AT&T due to service. But they do the same exact thing which is pitiful.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/08/23/rootmetrics-h1-2016/
Verizon is not the best out there. They are good in some places where AT&T is better in some. Personally, I have found AT&T to have the best coverage where I travel. Especially in Texas where Verizon is very spotty, AT&T rocks.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Verizon is not the best out there. They are good in some places where AT&T is better in some. Personally, I have found AT&T to have the best coverage where I travel. Especially in Texas where Verizon is very spotty, AT&T rocks.

I had AT&T since the Cingular days and now Verizon since mid-2015. No issues with either. I switched because in my office building, I got poor AT&T signal (I was next to a window too). But I haven't had an issue with Verizon. Great coverage everywhere I travel in Texas and beyond. Heck, it's great having data at major sporting events where on AT&T, I couldn't get anything :) Glad AT&T is working out for ya, though. They are a virtual tie throughout most of the country.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
The only thing good from Verizon LTE phones is they usually come unlocked. Getting iPhones from Verizon is actually beneficial than if you got iPhones from Sprint or T-Mobile. But it only applies to iPhones which are left unscathed. I hate Verizon bloatware and their big, ugly carrier branding. Avoid Androids on Verizon but iPhones are okay since you don't deal with bloatware or carrier branding and come unlocked.

Man, I am turned off by the Snapdragon 820 of the Note7. The best variant is limited to China which I find annoying! I want Exynos / 128gb / 6gb RAM to have the best Note7 variant. It's only about $60 more and China will get it on September 2nd. The USA models are all inferior to me. Might just have to import it from China if battery issues and hiccups start occuring often with the USA version.

With the rumors leading up to the note 7 supposedly having things like 6gb ram, 4000+mah battery, even some rumors of a 4K screen and upgraded cpu its something they basically have the us note 7 with the innards of the s7 yet are releasing an upgraded note 7 in China so soon. Imo it just seems like a rushed attempt to beat the iPhone release. Nothing wrong with it but it is what it is. Other than the reported lag/average battery life most people really like the note 7.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013

Verizon out bid everyone for the lowest frequency bands available to get the best service and penetration through buildings.its plain and simple.the lower the frequency the farther it will go.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Verizon out bid everyone for the lowest frequency bands available to get the best service and penetration through buildings.its plain and simple.the lower the frequency the farther it will go.
This may be true but I found that Verizon was absolutely terrible indoors (South Florida) compared to AT&T. I jumped to Verizon after 5 years with AT&T and just jumped back this month after only 4 months with Verizon. Hated their coverage locally.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

at&t has been an issue with indoor coverage for me, I've had them for years and always found when inside my house, hospitals, auditoriums, etc I'd often have no signal at all. I just switched to Verizon to see if they are better, but it's too soon to tell.

Reactions: grkm3

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
after found out this my question is T-Mobile same or not ???
T-MOBILE is def not the same as Verizon. I have the T-MOBILE Note 7 and the only thing they did was add 4 apps that are T-Mobile related. And one you actually want since it is for T-Mobiles Free Tuesday giveaways. All their apps can be deleted or disabled though.

I will never use Verizon. They don't give two flying fvcks about their customers, which is why they are shedding millions of their customers every quarter. And those customers are heading for T-Mobile. Their coverage area and speed has improved drastically over the 2 years since they got the 700mhz spectrum and refarmed their old 2g antennas to LTE. Right now, I am sitting at a solar array in central California, with nothing but farmland for miles and approx 40 miles from the nearest semi-large town (Fresno) and still pulling in 25mbps download and 16mbps upload, while tethering to my tablet!

Verizon and ATT don't even come close around here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160827-070125.png
    Screenshot_20160827-070125.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 129
Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

theinstructor

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2007
which is why they are shedding millions of their customers every quarter. And those customers are heading for T-Mobile.

I WISH that was true but Verizon would have to change if they lost millions of customers. They have not changed a thing.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
T-MOBILE is def not the same as Verizon. I have the T-MOBILE Note 7 and the only thing they did was add 4 apps that are T-Mobile related. And one you actually want since it is for T-Mobiles Free Tuesday giveaways. All their apps can be deleted or disabled though.

I will never use Verizon. They don't give two flying fvcks about their customers, which is why they are shedding millions of their customers every quarter. And those customers are heading for T-Mobile. Their coverage area and speed has improved drastically over the 2 years since they got the 700mhz spectrum and refarmed their old 2g antennas to LTE. Right now, I am sitting at a solar array in central California, with nothing but farmland for miles and approx 40 miles from the nearest semi-large town (Fresno) and still pulling in 25mbps download and 16mbps upload, while tethering to my tablet!

Verizon and ATT don't even come close around here.

xlte does well I hit 85 down 35 up in some areas where I live.i also have unlimited data and grandfatgered in but if it wasn't for that I would leave Verizon.

Screenshot_20160816-154743.png

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
xlte does well I hit 85 down 35 up in some areas where I live.i also have unlimited data and grandfatgered in but if it wasn't for that I would leave Verizon.

View attachment 646962

I get those same speeds in NYC area with T-mobile. When traveling outside of NY or upstate, I average around 30dwn 20up. Same goes with SoCal area.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I WISH that was true but Verizon would have to change if they lost millions of customers. They have not changed a thing.
They have been loosing millions in churn rate to T-Mobile every year, but since they had the Lions share of customers, they simply raise prices on the remaining customers to compensate. As long as the revenue and profit remain high, Verizon will keep doing what it wants, even if it means fleecing it's current customers. But with a churn rate averaging 1.3 per quarter between T-Mobile and Verizon, they will start feeling the pinch in under 5 years.

Link: https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-...ion-customers-for-second-consecutive-year.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.