Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
T-MOBILE is def not the same as Verizon. I have the T-MOBILE Note 7 and the only thing they did was add 4 apps that are T-Mobile related. And one you actually want since it is for T-Mobiles Free Tuesday giveaways. All their apps can be deleted or disabled though.

I will never use Verizon. They don't give two flying fvcks about their customers, which is why they are shedding millions of their customers every quarter. And those customers are heading for T-Mobile. Their coverage area and speed has improved drastically over the 2 years since they got the 700mhz spectrum and refarmed their old 2g antennas to LTE. Right now, I am sitting at a solar array in central California, with nothing but farmland for miles and approx 40 miles from the nearest semi-large town (Fresno) and still pulling in 25mbps download and 16mbps upload, while tethering to my tablet!

Verizon and ATT don't even come close around here.

Tmobile doesn't either IMO. This last announcement when they actually increased rates with their bs unlimited plans really opened my eyes. Before those announcements they had great plans, and if they had any kind of decent reception/coverage I would have switched in a second. If you think Legere cares more about you than money, then I've got some news for you. But hold onto that old plan for as long as you can, or as long as they let you keep it.

BTW I'm not defending Verizon. I was on ATT for 10 years and honestly they treated me very well as a customer. But in the end I had a dead spot in my home and I got sick of dealing with it and switched to Verizon. So far they've been great with customer service and reception is great. I don't mind paying a bit more for better reception, but with Tmobiles new plan they are actually substantially more expensive if you need data with their new plans. It's my understanding that ATT and Verizon are targeting customers who spend more, and much of their shedding are customers who want to save. This next year will be interesting because I think customers are going to realize what a rip Tmobiles new plans are and they may see some increased churn of their own.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Tmobile doesn't either IMO. This last announcement when they actually increased rates with their bs unlimited plans really opened my eyes. Before those announcements they had great plans, and if they had any kind of decent reception/coverage I would have switched in a second. If you think Legere cares more about you than money, then I've got some news for you. But hold onto that old plan for as long as you can, or as long as they let you keep it.

BTW I'm not defending Verizon. I was on ATT for 10 years and honestly they treated me very well as a customer. But in the end I had a dead spot in my home and I got sick of dealing with it and switched to Verizon. So far they've been great with customer service and reception is great. I don't mind paying a bit more for better reception, but with Tmobiles new plan they are actually substantially more expensive if you need data with their new plans. It's my understanding that ATT and Verizon are targeting customers who spend more, and much of their shedding are customers who want to save. This next year will be interesting because I think customers are going to realize what a rip Tmobiles new plans are and they may see some increased churn of their own.
Of course businesses are in it for the money, but John Legere actually goes out of his way to meet his customers. He comes up with new ways to get new customers and keep the old ones happy.
I have 4 lines with unlimited data and 14gb of tethering (everywhere in North America BTW), free texting and 1 hour of in-flight internet on all domestic flights, and if I was on a data plan, all my music and video wouldn't count against my data plan (regardless if I tether or not). Additionally, no overage charges. I also get free stuff every single Tuesday, which is pretty nice. I am now a stock holder of T-Mobile as well. It also didn't hurt when T-Mobile gave me a very nice Asus router for free, back when they had that promotion.
Verizon and ATT don't do any of that, nor have they ever (I was with ATT for 10 years and NexTel before that). So, do you think T-Mobile gives a crap about their customers compared to what Verizon does? (Having seen what Verizon did with Google Wallet, the BS they pulled with the Nexus 7 LTE variant and Pixel C, their illegal holding of spectrum, their bloatware bs, what they have done to the Note 7, their forcing of customers off unlimited, their ugly ass branding crap, the overage charges, etc... I would say yes.)
As for coverage, no single carrier covers everywhere. But where I happen to live, T-Mobile is the best. Obviously, that won't be the case for everyone, but with the 600mhz spectrum auction coming up and T-Mobile looking to spend billions to get some, their coverage will only continue to grow. How long before Verizon has to change their ways of screwing their customers over?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Of course businesses are in it for the money, but John Legere actually goes out of his way to meet his customers. He comes up with new ways to get new customers and keep the old ones happy.
I have 4 lines with unlimited data and 14gb of tethering (everywhere in North America BTW), free texting and 1 hour of in-flight internet on all domestic flights, and if I was on a data plan, all my music and video wouldn't count against my data plan (regardless if I tether or not). Additionally, no overage charges. I also get free stuff every single Tuesday, which is pretty nice. I am now a stock holder of T-Mobile as well. It also didn't hurt when T-Mobile gave me a very nice Asus router for free, back when they had that promotion.
Verizon and ATT don't do any of that, nor have they ever (I was with ATT for 10 years and NexTel before that). So, do you think T-Mobile gives a crap about their customers compared to what Verizon does? (Having seen what Verizon did with Google Wallet, the BS they pulled with the Nexus 7 LTE variant and Pixel C, their illegal holding of spectrum, their bloatware bs, what they have done to the Note 7, their forcing of customers off unlimited, their ugly ass branding crap, the overage charges, etc... I would say yes.)
As for coverage, no single carrier covers everywhere. But where I happen to live, T-Mobile is the best. Obviously, that won't be the case for everyone, but with the 600mhz spectrum auction coming up and T-Mobile looking to spend billions to get some, their coverage will only continue to grow. How long before Verizon has to change their ways of screwing their customers over?

Like I said, hang onto that plan because it's now obsolete. Legere understands PR and does all the social media and meet and greets, but it's just that PR. Does he honestly care about you personally. No, he's a CEO who has to show his shareholders that he is making them a profit. He's very smart and I respect and admire the way he's built up the customer base, but I feel as if he built it up then pulled the rug out from under them.

I'm still not defending any carrier, but I've gotten lots of stuff with ATT. Free phones, not cheap ones, refunds, bill adjustments, phone accessories, extra data, etc. These all add up, but the only reason I got them was because they wanted to keep me paying them, same as Tmobile. Their customer service is excellent, they answer the phone right away and I speak with someone who lives in the US and speaks English. They've always replaced faulty phones, even sometimes out of warranty.

If Tmo coverage is great in your area then I'm jealous, or rather I was jealous with the old plans they had. You're definitely sitting nicely with that plan. I would have probably agreed more with you before Legere announced the new plans. Now Tmobile isn't the uncarrier anymore, they are just another one of the carriers.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Verizon out bid everyone for the lowest frequency bands available to get the best service and penetration through buildings.its plain and simple.the lower the frequency the farther it will go.

Like I said, that has nothing to do with coverage. AT&T still kills Verizon in many rural places like in Texas.
[doublepost=1472394723][/doublepost]
I had AT&T since the Cingular days and now Verizon since mid-2015. No issues with either. I switched because in my office building, I got poor AT&T signal (I was next to a window too). But I haven't had an issue with Verizon. Great coverage everywhere I travel in Texas and beyond. Heck, it's great having data at major sporting events where on AT&T, I couldn't get anything :) Glad AT&T is working out for ya, though. They are a virtual tie throughout most of the country.

I travel all over Texas, and had to switch to AT&T because I was stuck in so many places without coverage. I have yet to be without coverage with AT&T. Try traveling to rural areas of Texas, like West Texas. You will see my point.
[doublepost=1472395002][/doublepost]

I actually wish I could switch to T-Mobile here, but they literally have no coverage. Spotty all over town. When we moved here 3 years ago (Abilene, TX) the movers driver mentioned that he couldn't get a signal to call us to let us know what time he would arrive because his phone had no signal. :( And he was just south of town a little.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I actually wish I could switch to T-Mobile here, but they literally have no coverage. Spotty all over town. When we moved here 3 years ago (Abilene, TX) the movers driver mentioned that he couldn't get a signal to call us to let us know what time he would arrive because his phone had no signal. :( And he was just south of town a little.
Yeah, I realize I'm luckier than many people when it comes to T-Mobile coverage. It is taking time, but I know the coverage is getting better all the time all over the country. When I first got T-Mobile 2 years ago, the coverage was absolute crap. Then they refarmed the 2g towers and got the 700mhz low band frequency going and now it is the best and rock solid. Hopefully, after the 600mhz auction is over and T-Mobile gets those bands up and running along all the major freeways throughout the US, their coverage should equal that of ATT and Verizon. Last I heard was 2018 was their goal to have everything in place, then they are supposed to incorporate 5g by 2020-2022.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Like I said, hang onto that plan because it's now obsolete. Legere understands PR and does all the social media and meet and greets, but it's just that PR. Does he honestly care about you personally. No, he's a CEO who has to show his shareholders that he is making them a profit. He's very smart and I respect and admire the way he's built up the customer base, but I feel as if he built it up then pulled the rug out from under them.

I'm still not defending any carrier, but I've gotten lots of stuff with ATT. Free phones, not cheap ones, refunds, bill adjustments, phone accessories, extra data, etc. These all add up, but the only reason I got them was because they wanted to keep me paying them, same as Tmobile. Their customer service is excellent, they answer the phone right away and I speak with someone who lives in the US and speaks English. They've always replaced faulty phones, even sometimes out of warranty.

If Tmo coverage is great in your area then I'm jealous, or rather I was jealous with the old plans they had. You're definitely sitting nicely with that plan. I would have probably agreed more with you before Legere announced the new plans. Now Tmobile isn't the uncarrier anymore, they are just another one of the carriers.

For 9 years, I was with ATT. For the most part, my coverage was very good. However, at work, it was very spotty. When T-Mobile came up with the 10 GB per line, I tried them and was surprised that I got very good coverage at work. Also, in the metro area and at home, coverage was better. So, last year, I switched. The coverage is really good and the plan is great. T-Mobile Tuesdays are great! However, I agree with you that the new plans are terrible. If they make me switch, I will leave.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.