Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KlugeTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
St. Augustin / Bonn
The very fast external Samsung portable SSD drive does not work after Installation of MacOS Sierra 10.12. The App Samsung Portable SSD does not start. This is a necessary encoding app for the operation of this drive.
Now I don´t have any contact to my encoded data.
In my family, there is another user with the same Problems for this drive.
I contact Samsung support via twitter, but i don´t get an answer yet.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
The very fast external Samsung portable SSD drive does not work after Installation of MacOS Sierra 10.12. The App Samsung Portable SSD does not start. This is a necessary encoding app for the operation of this drive.

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Few things are stressful as losing - or the possibility of losing - important data.

It's not much help to but I have 3 of these drives (they are fantastic!) and they all operate normally now in GM and all throughout the beta period.

Three things perhaps worth trying: -
- If you haven't already try the drive in another Mac (or a PC if it's formatted something other than HFS+).

- Another thing worth trying is to see if the disk appears in Disk Utility, even if it's not being mounted automatically.

- Last thing. With the disk unplugged open Terminal and type the command 'diskutil list', wait a few seconds and plug the drive in and run the command again. Post the results of both commands here.

KlugeTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
St. Augustin / Bonn
Thank you for replying.
here the results:
Last login: Sat Sep 24 15:05:57 on console

Thomass-MBP-142:~ thomaskluge$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Mac HD 499.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.1 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

0: Mac HD +499.1 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

F2407FD2-67A6-4B5E-BF4A-9EE3095EC3BF

Unlocked Encrypted

Thomass-MBP-142:~ thomaskluge$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.3 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Mac HD 499.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.1 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1 (internal, virtual):

0: Mac HD +499.1 GB disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

F2407FD2-67A6-4B5E-BF4A-9EE3095EC3BF

Unlocked Encrypted

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

0: T1_SETUP *134.2 MB disk2

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
So this part,

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

0: T1_SETUP *134.2 MB disk2

indicates the disk interface is at least being recognised; the small setup partition is there. Can you see your volume in Disk Utility?

Also, bear with me here as it may sound a bit random (and indeed it is, especially in light of the disk being recognised), but also try plugging this into a different USB port. It's just an elimination step.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Ok

What disks you see listed in the Disk Utility app? Screenshot might be best.

KlugeTJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2016
St. Augustin / Bonn
Sorry, my mac and i are "german" :)

upload_2016-9-24_23-45-49.png

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Sorry, my mac and i are "german" :)

View attachment 658846

Well I have to say that looks bad. There are no volumes listed under external, other than the Samsung setup partition.

Actually, it looks really strange. Under the "Extern" I would expect to see an entry for the disk itself, Samsung Portable SSD T1 Media, with T1_SETUP and your volume listed under that. Somewhat like this: -

Screen Shot 2016-09-24 at 2.56.48 PM.png

So, is there possibility that this either
a) The wrong disk (mixed up with someone else's)?

b) Someone has re-initialsied the disk? Used a Samsung utility on another machine?

In any case I think your data may be gone. Sorry :(

ileitch

Suspended
Sep 25, 2016

I found a solution.

1. Download & install the software for T3: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/portable.html
2. The installation should prompt you that some driver is outdated and you need to upgrade, click YES.
3. Reboot
4. T1 drive should now work
5. Remove the T3 software

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
It might be worthwhile to download the macOS 10.12.1 beta. It fixed some USB related issues for me.

DevonDude

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2016
Las Vegas, NV
I found a solution.

1. Download & install the software for T3: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/portable.html
2. The installation should prompt you that some driver is outdated and you need to upgrade, click YES.
3. Reboot

This worked great for me! Thanks for saving my bacon.
I'm using Mac OS Sierra 10.1.2 on a 13" Mac Book Pro (Early 2015)
Just add one thing: If your drive was hooked up doing the process, plug it back in after the reboot, or eject and plug back in after reboot. It didn't recognize the new driver until I did that.

nathan.l.larsen

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I had this exact same issue and it was driving me CRAZY. I got the T1 in April because it was on sale on Amazon. Seemed like a great deal, and when I was running El Capitan, it worked pretty well. So, I began using it to store some large files, i.e. photos from the last 10-15 years, all of my undergrad and grad school work, etc. Naturally, I wanted that information encrypted. I decided to use the built-in software, and set a password. However, when I upgraded to macOS Sierra this fall, I tried to access it again, and it kept giving me the Loading screen for two seconds, and then disappearing without showing any of my files. I scoured the internet, looking for some help. None of the suggestions people gave were working. I finally figured I'd do what I always hate to do, but hooked up the SSD to a Windows 7 machine at work. Sure enough, I installed the activation software on the SSD, and then was able to unlock the SSD with my password I had set in April, and permanently disabled the encryption password.

So, moral of the story is Samsung isn't probably ever going to update their software for macOS Sierra. If you can access a Windows PC, hook up your SSD, install the activation software, decrypt the SSD, move on with your life, and never buy another Samsung product ever again.

sancsell

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
South of England

macman25

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
The solution mentioned did not work for me. I downloaded the T3 software and during install I get the error: "t3 login activator for mac quit unexpectedly". The install completes "successfully" but does not work. I have tried a few times with reboots. I own T1 256GB portable ssd and 2015 Macbook pro with Sierra install a couple of days ago.

Pure Distance

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
I had the same problem. I solved it by connecting the T1 SSD to a computer that still had the previous OSX El Capitan and this computer could open the SSD and I could run the SSD Samsung software en remove the password protection. After this I could normally open the T1 on the computer running the newer OSX Sierra.

SimonWLChan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016

Nenni

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2016
I found a solution.

3. Reboot

Thanks for your suggestion.
I am having problems installing T3 software.
Below is the message i receive. Any suggestions?

T3 Log In Activator for Mac quit unexpectedly.

SimonWLChan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2016
Thanks for your suggestion.
I am having problems installing T3 software.
Below is the message i receive. Any suggestions?

T3 Log In Activator for Mac quit unexpectedly.

You might need to reboot after installation. I took the easy route, tried launching it after installation and it didn't work. I had to re-install and reboot.

Newpsman

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2016
I found a solution.

3. Reboot

Thank you for the solution. I thought my SSD crashed. It's nice to know there are good people out there who help finding simple solutions to difficult problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.