Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajcarr

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2017
The T3 software doesn't work for me either. I installed the T1 software in a Windows virtual machine and connected the drive to that, then turned off the password protection. I then quit the VM and mounted the T1 SSD in macOS and right-clicked on its icon, selecting Encrypt <drive name>, using Apple's encryption rather than Samsung's (it will be slightly slower, but it's portable between Macs without needing to install Samsung drivers).

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have the Samsung T3 500GB unit. I connect it to me new late 2016 15" MBP13,3. I find that at around 7.28 hours this T3 will be silently unmounted. I cannot figure out why this is happening and cause my Time Machine backups to not find the T3 after its been unmounted for some reason.

shakerlxxv

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2017
Keene, NH
I found a solution.

1. Download & install the software for T3: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/portable.html
2. The installation should prompt you that some driver is outdated and you need to upgrade, click YES.
3. Reboot
4. T1 drive should now work
5. Remove the T3 software

This worked for me ... except I would add one note. I tried to test the drive at step 4 and it was not working, the T3 Activator was just hanging after asking for the drive encryption password. After the removing the T3 software, now the drive is working like a charm again.

skairipa

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2017
installing the T3 software fixed the problem with my drive(just upgraded to Sierra)

rjwise

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2017
London, UK
The solution mentioned did not work for me. I downloaded the T3 software and during install I get the error: "t3 login activator for mac quit unexpectedly". The install completes "successfully" but does not work. I have tried a few times with reboots. I own T1 256GB portable ssd and 2015 Macbook pro with Sierra install a couple of days ago.

I had this problem too but luckily managed to solve it. It seems to be newer MacBooks that are suffering this problem. Luckily I have another older Mac running Sierra where I had already downloaded and installed the T3 activator to get my T1 working. On the newer Mac I trashed the T3 activator link from the desktop and the (bad) T3 activator software from the Applications folder. I then copied the good T3 activator software from the older computer to the new one, into the Applications folder, rebooted and then ran this version. It then downloaded an update and now runs fine with the T1.

Hope this helps.

Péjidet

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2017
Sorry to hear you're having problems. Few things are stressful as losing - or the possibility of losing - important data.

It's not much help to but I have 3 of these drives (they are fantastic!) and they all operate normally now in GM and all throughout the beta period.

Three things perhaps worth trying: -
- If you haven't already try the drive in another Mac (or a PC if it's formatted something other than HFS+).

- Another thing worth trying is to see if the disk appears in Disk Utility, even if it's not being mounted automatically.

- Last thing. With the disk unplugged open Terminal and type the command 'diskutil list', wait a few seconds and plug the drive in and run the command again. Post the results of both commands here.
[doublepost=1502010621][/doublepost]I meet the same trouble using two T1 SSD. Waiting a real solution if you have Parallels desktop ssd will mount with Windows driver and then can be used with mac OS

abystander

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2017
I just downloaded and installed the Samsung Mac software for their new T5 SSD drive (http://www.samsung.com/semiconducto...ad/portable.html?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000170), and now can finally use my T3 drive on my MacBook running Sierra 10.12.6.

Previously, installing the "T3 Activation Software" seemed to go smoothly (whether from the version supplied on the SSD drive, or the version downloaded directly from that same Samsung website), but the software immediately crashed when it then tried to auto-launch.

After downloading and installing the Activation Software now available for their T5 drive, the software successfully auto-launched, and prompted to install required drivers. Ejecting the T3 drive, and then plugging back in, resulted in the prompt to create the password protection.

JeremyRey

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2017
I did not find a solution on my brand new iMac on High Sierra (10.13.1), my T1 does not work.
I tried T3 and T5 without any luck. I tried to copy the T3 app from my old MBP with Sierra (as described on other post) but it didn't work either. I think I will remove encryption as suggested by @ajcarr.

Thiago144

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
[QUOTE = "KlugeTJ, post: 23590234, membro: 1049274"] Obrigado por responder.
aqui os resultados:
Último login: sáb 24 set 15:05:57 no console

Thomass-MBP-142: lista de ~ thomaskluge $ diskutil

/ dev / disk0 (interno, físico):

#: TIPO NOME TAMANHO IDENTIFICADOR

0: GUID_partition_scheme * 500.3 GB de disco0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Mac HD 499.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650,1 MB disk0s3

/ dev / disk1 (interno, virtual):

0: Mac HD +499.1 GB disco1

Volume lógico no disco0s2

F2407FD2-67A6-4B5E-BF4A-9EE3095EC3BF

Desbloqueado criptografado

Thomass-MBP-142: lista de ~ thomaskluge $ diskutil

/ dev / disk0 (interno, físico):

0: GUID_partition_scheme * 500.3 GB de disco0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_CoreStorage Mac HD 499.4 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650,1 MB disk0s3

/ dev / disk1 (interno, virtual):

0: Mac HD +499.1 GB disco1

Volume lógico no disco0s2

F2407FD2-67A6-4B5E-BF4A-9EE3095EC3BF

Desbloqueado criptografado

/ dev / disk2 (externo, físico):

0: T1_SETUP * 134,2 MB disk2 [/ QUOTE]

Neo_x1

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2018
Australia
I found a solution.

1. Download & install the software for T3: http://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/portable.html
2. The installation should prompt you that some driver is outdated and you need to upgrade, click YES.
3. Reboot
4. T1 drive should now work
5. Remove the T3 software

I upgraded OSX on my 2012 iMac a couple of years back, iMac doesn't recognize my T1 500g anymore. I kept my work MacBook Pro 2015 using the old OS X to access T1, until IT at work forced me to upgrade OS X . I have seen discussion of using T3 driver before, but it didn't work for me then. Today, I gave another bid to try. I found above info. My iMac and MacBook Pro recognize T1 again, though the free space report doesn't seem right.

ileitech, thanks a lot!

BTW, two windows ever pop up "A program tried to load new system extension(s) signed by "Samsung Electronics" ... " you got to allow it. Second, it will ask you if you are in European counties or not? While, I'm not.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I have had the T1, the T3 and the T5, and have never had any issues; the first thing I do with a new one is to erase all the stuff Samsung puts on there and then reformat it to AFPS so that the entire drive capacity is free and I don't have to worry about drivers and such.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Clix wrote:
"the first thing I do with a new one is to erase all the stuff Samsung puts on there and then reformat it to AFPS so that the entire drive capacity is free and I don't have to worry about drivers and such."

Just to clarify:
There is no "hidden partition" on the t5 drive that "resists" erasure?
One can simply re-initialize it using Disk Utility to "wipe it clean"?

I ask because a LONG time ago, I bought a Sandisk USB flashdrive that had something called their "U3" software on it. Simply erasing it in Disk Utility COULD NOT remove this stuff -- it was on a kind of "protected partition". I had to take it back to where I bought it (remember Circuit City?), and have them remove the U3 software by mounting the drive on a PC and running a Sandisk app (worked only in Windows) that would remove the partition.
After that, it was a simple matter to erase it with Disk Utility and use it...

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Right, there isn't any hidden partition -- one can simply use Disk Utility to erase the SSD completely and set it up as desired -- in my case, now with APFS, but earlier before APFS was available, of course I used Mac OS With journaling, whatever it's called. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember having a bit of a problem with the first T1 I bought, due to user error on my part, but was able to resolve it somehow. That was several years ago. The T3 and the T5 were/are easy to convert.

Yaybe

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2015
Germany
Hello, I cannot use my ssd1. I reinstalled my MacBook Pro to the latest Osx and installed the T3 driver from Samsung.
any ideas?

remiolamoto

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2020
FR

Hello everybody, hope all of you are fine.
I do have a MacBook Pro (Retina) - 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 Go 1600 MHz DDR3.
I'm already using a SAMSUNG SSD T1 since a long time now and I'm very happy with it, but I need more storage, so I bought a T5.
I did try to install my T5, worked very well, but T1 didn't worked anymore...
So I had to remove T5 driver to let my T1 work again.
Also, since I have removed the T5 driver, I had to upgrade my T1 driver to the T3 driver (because T1 driver didn't worked anymore, don't know why...).
What can I do to use both of them ?
Many thanks for your time,
Rémi

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Uninstall / remove the special proprietary software that Samsung includes on both of them (what you are calling "the driver")...... you don't really need it and it does frequently cause problems. First thing I do when setting up a new T5 is to go into Disk Utility and reformat the drive to APFS, which gets rid of the offending proprietary stuff and gives me all the space on the drive. I use T1, T3 and T5 Samsung external SSDs on my 2018 MBP and my 2017 MacBook without any issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.