Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
49517e025cc4497dc6309ed92b0506d2.png

8ac1b038569a4721d20e4fb22feca84e.jpg

Surprised not more interest in this

Rumoured specs

External display: 6.23 inches.
Interior display: 7.7 inches.
Display refresh rate: 120 HZ LTPO
CPU: Snapdragon 865 Plus.
RAM: 12GB.
Storage: 256GB, 512GB.
Cameras: 12MP main lens, 64MP telephoto, 12MP ultra wide lens, 2 10MP selfie cameras.
Battery Size: 4,365 mAH.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Probably will be my next phone.

I very nearly picked up the first gen but as it’s my secondary phone and it had some serious compromises, used better judgement (for once in my tech life).

This looks like a serious step up in many areas and as I don’t plan on upgrading my iPhone this year, if they knock a bit off the price compared to the first gen model, I’m going to take a hard look at picking up one of these.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Will be getting this or the Surface Duo, probably this one. It looks really good to me, and love the Z Flip I have.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My fold has turned out to be a better bargain than I thought. Given whats bundled in the box and looking past silly comparisons based on sticker price the Fold was only ever $2-300 more than other flagship phones

The reality of ownership is what counts and not knee jerk click bait reviews that have now shown to be largely unfounded

Normally I would cycle through 2 or 3 phones a year but after having a Fold every other Phone is a severe compromise as there is just no substitute for the real estate the Fold has

The silly little spec upgrades I normally chase on latest releases are inconsequential now and only the Note stylus and more stylish design gets my attention

The Fold 2 looks like it has more style becoming of it's status and leaving just the stylus as the missing piece

Fold 2 no brainier for me :)

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
That design looks great. The big question marks for me are price and battery life. That is not a large battery for a device that big.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
It looks and seems great, until you see the price. I’m not to a point where I can justify $1,500+ (hasn’t been announced but what are the odds this device is less than that) for a phone. With devices like this, I will always be a generation behind because of price — same applies for the iPhone. I’d be getting the 2019 version in 2020 once the new ones are released.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Although I'm warming up to the idea of foldables, the prices are simply out of my common sense. Will simply wait out until the tech become commoditized.

This thing needs the S pen support stat. Then it makes more sense for the asking price.

Reactions: Dingster101

kkh786

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2013
United Kingdom
I am extremely interested in the concept of the Fold form factor but I will refrain until the durability quotient is acceptable.. IP67 at least for it to be a daily driver.

I know we won't get there this year but I can wait and let the technology mature a year longer!

Reactions: Ralfi

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Even better this will come with snapdragon 865+

I get this is expensive but with contracts could pay £70-80 a month with EE discount

Think as long as the front display is like the phone it’s. Win. The front on the fold 1 didn’t look very good I must say

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Although I'm warming up to the idea of foldables, the prices are simply out of my common sense. Will simply wait out until the tech become commoditized.

This thing needs the S pen support stat. Then it makes more sense for the asking price.

I can't see Spen support happening until they move to actual folding glass rather than the current plastic panel. It is damaged too easily to support a pointy object being pushed against it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
That design looks great. The big question marks for me are price and battery life. That is not a large battery for a device that big.
Obviously YMMV but depends,

Lets say you are someone who makes and uses many calls then it's likely to be the best phone out there of flagships as you have a big battery and all you need is the little front screen

Now if you are a gamer or a video watcher then sure the downside of a more enjoyable large screen format could be 1/2 to 1 hour less

For mixed use and the most common thing we all do is switch on look for msg's/notifications and switch off, yet again the small front screen is your friend

On balance for many it evens out even with AOD active

Imagine your Iphone or Galaxy only displayed half the screen for those 10 seconds check we all do, it soon adds up, but of course you do not have that option, with the fold it is native to it's use.

Use the small or big screen as and when it suits, when your trying to stretch out that last hour of battery life till you get home for a charge the Fold again is king.

As for price as I have noted before it's only $2-300 more than an equivalent maxed out Iphone like for like only those opting for a Note the delta is larger

I do miss the Spen of the Note not for note taking but accuracy when annotating photo's for site amendments for my friend that builds houses

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Obviously YMMV but depends,

Lets say you are someone who makes and uses many calls then it's likely to be the best phone out there of flagships as you have a big battery and all you need is the little front screen

Now if you are a gamer or a video watcher then sure the downside of a more enjoyable large screen format could be 1/2 to 1 hour less

For mixed use and the most common thing we all do is switch on look for msg's/notifications and switch off, yet again the small front screen is your friend

On balance for many it evens out even with AOD active

Imagine your Iphone or Galaxy only displayed half the screen for those 10 seconds check we all do, it soon adds up, but of course you do not have that option, with the fold it is native to it's use.

Use the small or big screen as and when it suits, when your trying to stretch out that last hour of battery life till you get home for a charge the Fold again is king.

As for price as I have noted before it's only $2-300 more than an equivalent maxed out Iphone like for like only those opting for a Note the delta is larger

I do miss the Spen of the Note not for note taking but accuracy when annotating photo's for site amendments for my friend that builds houses

If you make a lot of call this is the best phone out there? I disagree. Its going to be much more uncomfortable and less ergonomic than a lot of other flagship phones. But then again, if you make a lot of calls, you probably are using a headset so this is a moot discussion.

For media consumption I think its the best phone (if money is not an option). Sure battery life wont be as great as some others but thats the tradeoff when you have a giant screen and still try to keep the phone relatively thin. My comment on battery was that I'm worried that if you primarily use the inner screen, then that battery size has me worried. But as long as battery life is respectable then its fine.

As far as pricing goes, I dont understand where you're getting your numbers from. The top model/storage iPhone is $1450. The only model Fold is $1980. Unless math has changed, thats a $530 difference which gets even larger when you take into account tax. So its roughly a $600 increase over the top model iPhone or Note. Thats significant. Not only that, but we dont even know the price of the Fold 2. But considering the Fold 2 is rumored to have larger, higher refresh screens and 5G, I dont see the price dropping. If anything, I could see it increase. Theres not much incentive for them to bring the price down because this is still very much a niche device that mainstream wont buy even if they cut price to say $1700, so they might as well keep it at $2000 or more because the audience that will buy it for $1980 wont be deterred if its increase $100 or so.

The device looks great, dont get me wrong, but I just dont see myself buying one unless it drops around the $1500 range and for the tech in this phone, I dont see that happening. And Samsung probably would be dumb to drop it that low in all honesty. They have no competitors in the foldable market so they can charge the premium.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
If you make a lot of call this is the best phone out there? I disagree. Its going to be much more uncomfortable and less ergonomic than a lot of other flagship phones. But then again, if you make a lot of calls, you probably are using a headset so this is a moot discussion.

For media consumption I think its the best phone (if money is not an option). Sure battery life wont be as great as some others but thats the tradeoff when you have a giant screen and still try to keep the phone relatively thin. My comment on battery was that I'm worried that if you primarily use the inner screen, then that battery size has me worried. But as long as battery life is respectable then its fine.

As far as pricing goes, I dont understand where you're getting your numbers from. The top model/storage iPhone is $1450. The only model Fold is $1980. Unless math has changed, thats a $530 difference which gets even larger when you take into account tax. So its roughly a $600 increase over the top model iPhone or Note. Thats significant. Not only that, but we dont even know the price of the Fold 2. But considering the Fold 2 is rumored to have larger, higher refresh screens and 5G, I dont see the price dropping. If anything, I could see it increase. Theres not much incentive for them to bring the price down because this is still very much a niche device that mainstream wont buy even if they cut price to say $1700, so they might as well keep it at $2000 or more because the audience that will buy it for $1980 wont be deterred if its increase $100 or so.

The device looks great, dont get me wrong, but I just dont see myself buying one unless it drops around the $1500 range and for the tech in this phone, I dont see that happening. And Samsung probably would be dumb to drop it that low in all honesty. They have no competitors in the foldable market so they can charge the premium.
You forget I have the advantage of real usage and I do not claim it is the best phone for all cases like any phone it has it's pro's and cons depending on your usage

I simply addressed your concerns on battery :)

As for price you made the classic error of looking just at sticker price and not whats in the box/supplied

To get even close the IPhone you have to add a case, set of wireless ear buds and Apple Care that is circa $400 in anyone's books so your $600 delta is down to $200 as I had previously noted

BTW I do not use a headset

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
You forget I have the advantage of real usage and I do not claim it is the best phone for all cases like any phone it has it's pro's and cons depending on your usage

I simply addressed your concerns on battery :)

As for price you made the classic error of looking just at sticker price and not whats in the box/supplied

To get even close the IPhone you have to add a case, set of wireless ear buds and Apple Care that is circa $400 in anyone's books so your $600 delta is down to $200 as I had previously noted

BTW I do not use a headset

I did not make the "classic error". I used retail prices as its the most accurate metric to compare. Your breakdown operates under the assumption that everyone buys Applecare or needs wireless earbuds. Sure, its cool that those things are included but lets be real here, you are just trying to make subtractions to justify spending a ton of money on the Fold which is unnecessary. Whats supplied in the box doesnt change that the price you have to pay to get this device in your hands is ~$2000. Sure you can sell the headphones and get maybe $100 back, but you're still looking at a $500 difference.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I did not make the "classic error". I used retail prices as its the most accurate metric to compare. Your breakdown operates under the assumption that everyone buys Applecare or needs wireless earbuds. Sure, its cool that those things are included but lets be real here, you are just trying to make subtractions to justify spending a ton of money on the Fold which is unnecessary. Whats supplied in the box doesnt change that the price you have to pay to get this device in your hands is ~$2000. Sure you can sell the headphones and get maybe $100 back, but you're still looking at a $500 difference.
I think you find you are making the reverse assumption and regardless of this the items are in the box and they are not with Apple so your simplistic comparison is not valid

The real cost of ownership is what matter if you want to be real. For most, they buy cases and screensavers etc and many owners high end units also buy extra cover. Samsung often bundle these items where Apple does not

I agree the price you pay is for compulsory inclusion but that does not distract from the fact their value is included

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think you find you are making the reverse assumption and regardless of this the items are in the box and they are not with Apple so your simplistic comparison is not valid

The real cost of ownership is what matter if you want to be real. For most, they buy cases and screensavers etc and many owners high end units also buy extra cover. Samsung often bundle these items where Apple does not

I agree the price you pay is for compulsory inclusion but that does not distract from the fact their value is included
then it probably comes with a charger huh? Apple is said to not include chargers any longer :-(

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
When the second version looks this good, I honesty can't wait till the third version. It's been my plan all along to move to a foldable, and the third gen Galaxy Z Fold has been my plan.

20200729_132116.jpg
20200729_132207.jpg

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
Looks very nice. I’d be somewhat concerned about it’s long term reliability....and price!

In my opinion, only three phones can command a $1000+ price. Those three phones would be the Note line and the two foldables from Samsung. I have no problem with price if the product is worthy. Cutting edge tech is necessary for the mainstream products to improve, and that cutting edge tech costs more money than the usual "been there done that" phone.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
In my opinion, only three phones can command a $1000+ price. Those three phones would be the Note line and the two foldables from Samsung. I have no problem with price if the product is worthy. Cutting edge tech is necessary for the mainstream products to improve, and that cutting edge tech costs more money than the usual "been there done that" phone.
Well I hope it's soon I can tell you about the Fold 2 when I trade in my Fold 1 :)

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Wow that looks gorgeous! If it had pen support I’d definitely consider purchasing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.