Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
If it's around $1600 I'll be very interested. But I imagine we'll be looking at closer to $2k which is a hard no for me even though it probably is justified given the tech.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Oh I’m so eager to see this thing.

It may not be suited to my daily activities, not fall in my budget range & not applicable to my ecosystem, but I love how refined it’s becoming & how it’s pressuring Apple to follow suit eventually.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
The more news that gets released on the Galaxy Fold 2, the more interested I get. I figured I would be waiting a few more generations but they seem to have made a big leap forward from the first Fold.

However, the one thing I wanted to check was to see how well the Fold 1 held it's re-sale value, since I switch phones usually twice a year. The results werent great. I found mint condition Fold 1's selling for under 50% of their original price less than a year later. Thats not too far off from the norm on Samsung devices but its still worse. And when that 50% translates to losing over $1k, thats really tough to swallow.

Im not saying that eliminates it for me, but the release, price, and pre-order needs to be really special for me to seriously consider it. Just speaking for myself here. I can totally see why this phone would be appealing to other tech fans.

Reactions: 5105973

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Max weinbach seems to think pricing might be

$1750 for 256GB and 12GB of ram

$2070 for 512GB and 16GB of ram

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Max weinbach seems to think pricing might be

$1750 for 256GB and 12GB of ram

$2070 for 512GB and 16GB of ram

If thats true...it makes things very interesting. At $1750 they may be able to convince some people that would have been willing to pay ~$1400 for the Note Ultra or Iphone 12 Pro Max.

Also, that would be one hell of a markup for just more storage and ram on the 512gb version.

@The Game 161 Where did you see him say this? I looked on Twitter but didnt find anything.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If thats true...it makes things very interesting. At $1750 they may be able to convince some people that would have been willing to pay ~$1400 for the Note Ultra or Iphone 12 Pro Max.

Also, that would be one hell of a markup for just more storage and ram on the 512gb version.

@The Game 161 Where did you see him say this? I looked on Twitter but didnt find anything.

Was on vypdrive mate around 20-20 min mark

Reactions: Awesomesince86

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
You know, one of the reasons I've gotten iPhones every year used to be resale value. I think it was a 6s that I bought for like 900-1000 and sold for 800 when I got the 7, which was a great example.

I was disappointed to see that the xs max I bought for 1750 or so was actually going for 700-800 when the 11 generation rolled around. Interestingly, it's still going for 700-800 almost a year later.

I think with high priced phones comes poorer resale value, just like with cars. The more expensive, the bigger the hit will eventually be.

The more news that gets released on the Galaxy Fold 2, the more interested I get. I figured I would be waiting a few more generations but they seem to have made a big leap forward from the first Fold.

However, the one thing I wanted to check was to see how well the Fold 1 held it's re-sale value, since I switch phones usually twice a year. The results werent great. I found mint condition Fold 1's selling for under 50% of their original price less than a year later. Thats not too far off from the norm on Samsung devices but its still worse. And when that 50% translates to losing over $1k, thats really tough to swallow.

Im not saying that eliminates it for me, but the release, price, and pre-order needs to be really special for me to seriously consider it. Just speaking for myself here. I can totally see why this phone would be appealing to other tech fans.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
You know, one of the reasons I've gotten iPhones every year used to be resale value. I think it was a 6s that I bought for like 900-1000 and sold for 800 when I got the 7, which was a great example.

I was disappointed to see that the xs max I bought for 1750 or so was actually going for 700-800 when the 11 generation rolled around. Interestingly, it's still going for 700-800 almost a year later.

I think with high priced phones comes poorer resale value, just like with cars. The more expensive, the bigger the hit will eventually be.
I think there is some truth in that and also Samsung strategy differs greatly to Apple re trade-in values bundled goodies for early adopters etc etc, or those that wait ~ 6 months for a cheaper sticker price but no bundles.

When you factor in the true cost of ownership the re-sale value is not as high with IPhones as many think and additionally US has a very healthy respect for 2nd hand goods prices generally.

Many selling there Galaxy's are without all the accessories and bundles etc ie they are keeping hold of the $200-$450 goodies so the price seems low on straight sticker price comparisons

Reactions: Zito Abroad

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wow, if I had the money, this Z Fold 2 is a buy. Samsung is literally attacking all the weakness points of the original Fold (pointed out by famous youtubers).

This thing is a tech tour-de-force. Great job Samsung.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
The Samsung Galaxy Z fold 2 hits perfection with that design. It's absolutely stunning. But will never pay more than €1000 euro for a smartphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.