Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
When it comes to clothing (pockets), they’re not all the same.

Sure, this Fold fits in yours ok, but some with tighter, shallow pockets are going to feel this form factor every time they take a step, especially when climbing stairs, sitting down, driving ect.
Agreed, but it's equally true of slab format phones, they do not fit all pockets :)

But the common concern is the thickness and generally that is not the limiting factor in most cases. If you can fit a Iphone max or Note in your pocket the Fold is likely to be more comfortable being slightly narrower but thicker. ie it has more room to adjust in your pocket

Of course weight and height is a different subject :)

For those little pockets there is the Z Flip LOL

Last edited:

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Not that this means anything, but a lot of the tech reviewers were guessing this will start at $2100. Which is a pretty huge gap between what Weinberg said which is $1799 or something like that. It'll be interesting to see where the price falls and what preorder deals are offered.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
My appols if my analogy or practical explanation was lacking :) I did try to respond to your points in order.

But real life experience opposed to your theorizing demonstrates otherwise, you may be surprised

There is a good reason most of us have wallets or purses that fold and no one is suggesting these should be thinner/wider and flatter to fit in our pockets because its easier
I will demo the Fold 2 when it’s available locally and report back. I’m seriously skeptical this device is comfortable to carry in a front pocket.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Anyone concerned about low screen brightness of the Fold 2?

Researching the OG Fold it seems the inside screen only goes up to 370 nits of brightness on manual mode and 560 nits of brightness on auto mode. Its OLED so I believe the high contrast helps a little with outdoor viewing but I dont know how much.

I'd have to guess that Samsung intentionally set the screen brightness that low as a balancing act in order to increase battery life, a worthy trade-off, but still disappointing what with newer phones getting in the range of 800-1000 nits of brightness ?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Anyone concerned about low screen brightness of the Fold 2?

Researching the OG Fold it seems the inside screen only goes up to 370 nits of brightness on manual mode and 560 nits of brightness on auto mode. Its OLED so I believe the high contrast helps a little with outdoor viewing but I dont know how much.

I'd have to guess that Samsung intentionally set the screen brightness that low as a balancing act in order to increase battery life, a worthy trade-off, but still disappointing what with newer phones getting in the range of 800-1000 nits of brightness ?
Trouble is many are not use to using dark mode that favours AMOLED this higher contrast helps in bright sunlight IMO

I don't find it a real issue with my Fold :)

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Thoughts on the rumor it won't be able to output full resolution at 120Hz? While unfortunate if true, I would still consider getting it and justnliving with 60Hz.

Zito Abroad

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2019
The only device that'll make me give up the Note line. Flex mode keeps getting better and better.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Thoughts on the rumor it won't be able to output full resolution at 120Hz? While unfortunate if true, I would still consider getting it and justnliving with 60Hz.
Even the Note 20 Ultra cannot do constant 120Hz at full res, so I’m not sure where did that expectation come from.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Probably not the right thread, but I love the new Flip 5g. Those colours and matte finish. Lovely. That’s how it should have been in the original.

Reactions: nospleen

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Even the Note 20 Ultra cannot do constant 120Hz at full res, so I’m not sure where did that expectation come from.
It came from the fact that the Note 20 Ultra and Z Fold2 have differing native resolutions, the latter being lower than the former.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hands on in depth of the galaxy fold 2
The style of that vid was so cringe!

But it looked like it covered a lot of the phone so I stuck with it ?

I like how the front screen can be flipped & used with the hinge on the right, making it easier for left handers to reach across the screen. There are a lot of benefits to this design that many don’t see right now & Samsung appear to be fleshing them out with every release.

Competition’s watching carefully ?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
He replied to a comment on that video asking about 1440p and 120Hz. His reply said I think it's 1080p+.

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
My money goes to any phone that supports both sub6 and mmwave and plus my budget for phones this year is 4 phones!!! Last year I think it was 1 lol. So this year it will definitely be this phone, the note ultra (waiting for me at Best Buy) and the top two iPhone 12 models!!!

Reactions: Zwhaler

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I'm having second thoughts... I like everything about the phone except I'm worried it will be hard to type on. Typing messages is one thing I use phones for the most, so having to choose between a too narrow or way too wide screen could be counterproductive. I may just skip the pre orders and wait to see one and person before buying.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm having second thoughts... I like everything about the phone except I'm worried it will be hard to type on. Typing messages is one thing I use phones for the most, so having to choose between a too narrow or way too wide screen could be counterproductive. I may just skip the pre orders and wait to see one and person before buying.
Size your KB as you wish, its not fixed

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I'm having second thoughts... I like everything about the phone except I'm worried it will be hard to type on.

It’s why it’d like it just a smidge wider. Not Windows Surface Duo wide, but enough to making typing easier.

In saying that, wouldn’t the Swiping type gestures make things easier?

Last edited:

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Size your KB as you wish, its not fixed
The screen width is fixed though, and a bit narrow. Galaxy S6 edge+ was the best screen size I ever typed on. My S10 is pretty good but not quite perfect. Not sure how the Fold 2 would be... guess I have to wait and see.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
With recent leaks of the same size iPhone notch this fall, I’m thinking of pre-ordering the Fold 2 via AT&T. I seriously don’t think it’s worth the price, but I am super curious to use this device for a week and see how I like it. Can always return it.

Reactions: Oohara

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The screen width is fixed though, and a bit narrow. Galaxy S6 edge+ was the best screen size I ever typed on. My S10 is pretty good but not quite perfect. Not sure how the Fold 2 would be... guess I have to wait and see.
True if you intend to predominantly use the front screen but in truth you don't you just get conditioned to flipping it open most of the time :)

The front screen is the ultimate AOD/Notification area although it is possible to use in anger if you so choose

Reactions: Zwhaler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.