Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Hands on in depth of the galaxy fold 2

Btw heres a complete English translation I found of the video above for those interested, courtesy of Sagar in the comment section at SamMobile:
Wow wow wow!

After 1.5 years, it finally comes.

We can’t say it is the future of smartphones, but it does come from the future.

At first glance, you will already be blown away by the massive external display: 6.2 inches, 2326 * 840 resolution at 60 Hz, central punch hole camera. Compared to the small 4.6 inches counterpart of the first generation, these are massive improvements.

At 25:9 aspect ratio, it might as well be considered an ultrawide display of smartphones. It delivers more information in terms of vertical viewing. Horizontal-wise, it is very suitable for some games.

When opened, there is a 7.6 inches, 5:4 aspect ratio Dynamic AMOLED 2X display at 120 Hz made up of UTG, came with a pre-installed membrane. On the right side, there is a central punch hole camera. All 4 sides are equal. 120Hz refresh rate. Both external and internal displays support HDR10+. Compared to the first-generation Fold, it is a big leap in terms of viewing experience. The crease is a little deeper, but it doesn’t really matter when looking right in front of it.

Turning to the exterior, the phone is now boxier than the first generation. The frame used frosted metal in hairline finish, giving it quite a business feel. The power button doubles as the fingerprint reader, and can be pressed. The back of the phone is a black shiny glass. For the golden version, AG frosted glass is used instead. The substantial camera bump is worth noticing as it makes the phone wobbles on the desk. However, it can easily be resolved by a case, only that no case is available for purchase at this time. The logo of Samsung is now moved to the middle of the hinge, which appears to be engraved instead of stuck on like the first generation. This is a big improvement.

This time, the phone is equipped with a Snapdragon 865+ processor. It came with 12GB RAM and 256 GB storage, which seems a little retrogressive. The phone supports Wifi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2 but, regrettably, it still only supports one SIM card. As before, it has a pair of stereo speakers but with expanded speaker grills. This is probably the loudest pair of speakers I have ever come across on a smartphone. [different phones’ volume were compared]

All 3 rear cameras are 12 megapixels. The main one is 1/1.76 MX555 while the remaining two only have mediocre specs. That being said, combining the all new hinge which can be stopped at any desired angle with the versatile software, it can be used in quite a lot of scenarios. For example, when placing the phone on the desk to shoot pictures or clips, double tapping the empty space can move the viewfinder to ease adjusting focal length and focus. You can also take pictures using the big screen in full and use the external display as the viewfinder. Besides, there is now a rear-camera-selfie mode, which is very convenient for taking pictures and shooting vlogs. We noted that when using this mode, the internal display won’t turn on even when we hit home, which also let us to improvise the phone for navigation in cars very steadily. If you have other good ideas, you are welcome to share them with us so that we can discuss together!

We also found that both the external and internal displays can work in all 4 directions, which is quite user friendly for lefty and those who just don’t care how the phone should be picked up.

The phone has double batteries, totaling 4500 mAh, which supports 25W fast charging and 11W fast wireless charging, and reverse wireless charging. 45W is, however, not supported in the test. The battery life is quite good. More specifics would be given after testing the production version.

In sum, Z Fold 2 improved many shortcomings of the Fold: Bigger screen, glass material, all new hinge. Durability and usability are largely improved. Putting a larger screen in the pocket is no longer a dream. Although there are still some regrets, we are still happy to pronounce it the flagship phone of 2020. This is because holding it is like holding the world.

Hope this video can stir some inspiration. Please hit like if you like this video. If you want to know more about the Z Fold 2, please let us know in the comment section. You are welcome to subscribe to our channel, we will bring more contents to you guys. Catch you in the next one, bye.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Really thinking about just cancelling my Note 20 ultra order to get this. Unfortunately if it's $2000 and there are no trade in deals, I might not be able to get it and I don't want to lose out on the promotions I got for the Note.

My Note isn't slated to ship until 9/10, so I guess I can wait another week, hopefully something is announced soon.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
£1,799 for 256GB

4c4121fe03a79b0fe243defedac80115.jpg

Reactions: Fernandez21

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
£1,799 for 256GB

4c4121fe03a79b0fe243defedac80115.jpg
Probably means $1,999 US, which is what I expected. As long as they have a trade in deal where I can get the price down to around $1200-$1300, I'll be good.

If there are no trade in deals (like last year) then I'll have to pass......for now.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Probably means $1,999 US, which is what I expected. As long as they have a trade in deal where I can get the price down to around $1200-$1300, I'll be good.

If there are no trade in deals (like last year) then I'll have to pass......for now.

I think there will be trade in deals, I reserved now for now, and email says you can maximize your savings with an eligible trade in. Guess we will see.

Reactions: Fernandez21

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Do get the feeling the fold going forward will be the ultimate device....basically one with an S pen will be the future note series. Aside from the S line with the S pen

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
Do get the feeling the fold going forward will be the ultimate device....basically one with an S pen will be the future note series. Aside from the S line with the S pen

It better not be I love my Notes and I’m going to get the Fold 2!!!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It better not be I love my Notes and I’m going to get the Fold 2!!!
Think they will have S pen with S line and fold so you have choice

Dunno if next year to get fold 3but will see

For 1799 it has to have the same quality cameras as the S line

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I think I'm going to pre-order via AT&T. I can always return it if I don't love it.

I will need some time with it to see how I like it. How I like Android in its current state, etc.

I'd really rather not leave iOS and Apple, but at the same time I feel like the 12 Pro Max is going to be a rather lame update (same size notch ?) . Plus that device most likely won't be available to obtain until early to mid November.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Looks like he confirmed 120Hz at full resolution on the internal display!
Don't believe the resolution is QHD though.

Still not confirmed what the optical zoom is though.

I'm waiting for fold 3 with S pen and it having periscope lens. Will see if that happens next year

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Don't believe the resolution is QHD though.
So you think the inner panel is fixed at lower than native resolution? He played 1440p on YouTube... seems like native res plus 120Hz with 1440p playback capability. We'll find out soon enough...

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
So you think the inner panel is fixed at lower than native resolution? He played 1440p on YouTube... seems like native res plus 120Hz with 1440p playback capability. We'll find out soon enough...
It was “Adaptive” in the settings eh. So who knows what the actual refresh rate is when actually using the device.

Here’s a vid questioning the whole “Adaptive” implementation, showing you’ll hardly get 120Hz on many Apps...(Don’t be put off by the thumbnail)...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It was “Adaptive” in the settings eh. So who knows what the actual refresh rate is when actually using the device.

Here’s a vid questioning the whole “Adaptive” implementation, showing you’ll hardly get 120Hz on many Apps...(Don’t be put off by the thumbnail)...

Those browser tests are flawed. On my S20 Ultra, I get an AVG of 115 fps, and MAX of 121, doing a 10 minute test from a fps test app.

Reactions: Ralfi

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Refresh rate is 120hz and is adaptive as it has ltpo

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Only going by what max weinbech said but will find out soon on the resolution

Joho2078

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2019
I’m buying it ! But on Verizon I doubt they will have a better trade in deal than AT&T when I got my note 20 ultra ... we shall see Verizon.

bbs008

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2020
The fold 2 will have 120hz inside. it will swap to a lower refresh rate when things like youtube/ netflix/ etc are playing as it has a LTPO adaptive screen. The resolution of the inside screen is also 2213×1689 due to its aspect ratio. This means its not actually QHD but it can still play content at 1440p while running at 120hz. Its higher than 1080p but lower than a QHD+ resolution.

Reactions: The Game 161
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.