Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I've had my iPhone 5 for 2 years, no screen protector and I don't have a single scratch. I don't care about it being more scratch resistant because other than having a pocket full of sand I won't scratch this screen. But I do fear I could break the screen by dropping it.

I find a lot of people think that until you take off your screen protector and compare the two items side by side.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
um No. There are a few models that are domed but "most" are as Piggie says… for the very reasons Piggie implies. If the Sapphire extrudes so that it is taking the impacts directly and if it is reasonably thin (as it most certainly will be in these iPhones), it would be quick to crack or shatter. I've been in the jewelry business and the watches that use Sapphire tend to be built so that only a direct, head-on impact by something pointy (like a pole) can hit the Sapphire (and such an impact is highly unlikely when the watch is strapped to an arm of a creature that has quick reflexes and some inherent skills at avoiding head-on impacts with poles). All other angles are somewhat shielded by a metal rim that rises above the surface of the Sapphire.

I don't know about other watches, but in the case of the Rolex Submariner, the sapphire crystal sits ABOVE the bezel, by what appears to be about a good quarter millimeter or so.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I don't know about other watches, but in the case of the Rolex Submariner, the sapphire crystal sits ABOVE the bezel, by what appears to be about a good quarter millimeter or so.

Submariner is their diving watch. That piece of Sapphire is THICK. If Apple uses Sapphire as THICK as Submariner on the iPhone, it will be more resistant to shattering than generally assumed per typical "thinner"/"thinnest" objectives. However, it would look a bit funky as that thickness also magnifies the Submariner face a bit to help make it more visible underwater.

Look at the rest of Rolex's line. Submariner is an exception. Most of their line seats the Sapphire below the metal rim.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Interesting - sapphire shattering from a 3 foot drop.

How will the rumoured iWatch face hold up if I'm wearing it during sports and it takes a knock?

My watch, which I have had to nearly 5 years, has a sapphire crystal. It's been banged around quite a bit, and has not ever shattered. It also has no scratches visible with the naked eye.

----------

Who cares about impact tests? Just hold onto your phone and don't drop it. People act like it's rocket science. JUST HOLD ONTO IT!! :rolleyes:

Surely you are kidding. I HOLD ONTO my phone. But the first week I got my iPhone 5 I was walking up stairs, holding it in my hand. Caught the toe of my boot on a step and went down. The iPhone flew out of my hand and skated down the sidewalk. If you carry a phone in real life you are going to drop it at some point.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My watch, which I have had to nearly 5 years, has a sapphire crystal. It's been banged around quite a bit, and has not ever shattered. It also has no scratches visible with the naked eye.

Big difference between a watch dial at maybe 1" to maybe 2" and a big rectangle at 4.7" and 5.5".

Watch Sapphire is also typically thicker to somewhat magnify the watch face. Apple is in love with "thinner" but even if they were not, it probably wouldn't work well to magnify a LCD screen by making the Sapphire watch-like thick.

Sapphire is more scratch resistant. THAT is the big benefit. If iPhone uses Sapphire, the transparent rectangle will be even more scratch resistant than GG has been. However, as these tests imply, it is more brittle. "Bang this around quite a bit" and you'll likely be replacing a shattered screen or cutting your fingers by trying to keep using it anyway.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Big difference between a watch dial at maybe 1" to maybe 2" and a big rectangle at 4.7" and 5.5".

Watch Sapphire is also typically thicker to somewhat magnify the watch face. Apple is in love with "thinner" but even if they were not, it probably wouldn't work well to magnify a LCD screen by making the Sapphire watch-like thick.

Sapphire is more scratch resistant. THAT is the big benefit. If iPhone uses Sapphire, the transparent rectangle will be even more scratch resistant than GG has been. However, as these tests imply, it is more brittle. "Bang this around quite a bit" and you'll likely be replacing a shattered screen or cutting your fingers by trying to keep using it anyway.

If you go back and look at the message I was replying to, the OP was asking about whether it was a good idea to put sapphire on the "iWatch" if it was going to be used in activities.

I don't know (or really care) whether Apple is going to use sapphire in the new iPhone, unless it has some fantastic quality that makes my phone more magical than it is now. My current phone screen is fine, as far as I care.

But I was just answering the question about the OP's concern whether sapphire made sense on a watch.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Go to any college campus and see how many future rocket scientists have cracked iPhone screens...it's truly shocking.

I just can't comprehend how people are so clumsy. Hanging onto a phone is ridiculously easy.

----------

----------

Surely you are kidding. I HOLD ONTO my phone. But the first week I got my iPhone 5 I was walking up stairs, holding it in my hand. Caught the toe of my boot on a step and went down. The iPhone flew out of my hand and skated down the sidewalk. If you carry a phone in real life you are going to drop it at some point.

YOU might, not me or most other people. Even falling down, it isn't hard to hold onto something.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
Much rather have shatter resistance vs scratch resistance. I have had iPhones for 7 years and have rarely scratched the glass. Its hard to scratch. Been through multiple screens though.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Most top end watches are made from saphire and they almost never smash
This is because the material used in watches is thicker and with a smaller surface area. Those can make a huge difference when it comes to actual performance.

Many watches currently use sapphire. I am under the impression that they offset the impact risk by making the glass much thicker, hence stronger. Something they cannot do with the iPhone.

Exactly

Oscartapia

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2009
These guys go on and on about sapphire as a screen, they just keep forgetting that Sapphire has many other uses. It is possible that apple may be on its way to build a new RF chip for there phones , since Silicon on Sapphire Chips have better insulation and are extremely good for RF chips and equipments.

Sapphire has uses in camera lens and these morons are still talking about the strength of sapphire as a screen glass.

I am sure apple will surprise them with sapphire totally different usage.

Yes, maybe it will have other ways to be used, BUT still yes, Apple WILL use it for the screen, but the important thing with these tests ant critics about Apple using sapphire for the screen are missing one little thing: the screen WILL NOT BE MADE JUST FROM SAPPHIRE.

There's been already some rumors about the screen being a composition of different layers, the last one made od sapphire to handle the scratches, but also reinforced with bent resistant materials, so it can handle to be bent much more, not just like the gorilla glass, but even more; there is already a video testing one of the last pieces leaked, the one that looks like a real iPhone 6 screen that is very resistant to bending.

----------

If you go back and look at the message I was replying to, the OP was asking about whether it was a good idea to put sapphire on the "iWatch" if it was going to be used in activities.

I don't know (or really care) whether Apple is going to use sapphire in the new iPhone, unless it has some fantastic quality that makes my phone more magical than it is now. My current phone screen is fine, as far as I care.

But I was just answering the question about the OP's concern whether sapphire made sense on a watch.

Actually there is already a video right here at Macrumors, and even anote about the composition of the screen, and looks like most of the people, specially those that because of their interests tell Apple is not doing good going for sapphire, BUT the point is that yes, Apple is going to use sapphire at the screen of devices sock as the iPhone and the iWatch, BUT it is not gonna be the only material the screens are gonna be made of, the screens will be a composite of layers that will provide that bending resistance that sapphire can't provide, and sapphire will give the scratch resistance capacity.

----------

I'm not sure how this applies to Apple since 1)we don't know for certain what Apple's plans are with sapphire and 2)if Apple is using it for iPhone displays we have no idea what their engineering/manufacturing process is so this test may not even be comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun).

Actually there is already a video right here at Macrumors, and even a note about the composition of the screen, and looks like most of the people, specially those that because of their interests (competition) are telling Apple is not doing good going for sapphire, BUT the point is that yes, Apple is going to use sapphire at the screen of devices such as the iPhone and the iWatch, BUT it is not gonna be the only material the screens are gonna be made of, the screens will be a composite of layers that will provide that bending resistance that sapphire can't provide, and sapphire will give the scratch resistance capacity and the extra strength.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
Most top end watches are made from saphire and they almost never smash

The use of sapphire on a phone surprises me because of the brittleness. Diamond is also brittle and easily smashed. The bend test does not seem relevant because the glass is supported from below and only has a few millimetres of travel possible. The scratch test doesn't seem such a big deal because gorilla glass resists normal things that scratch just as well. I mean no one is going to keep an iPhone in their pocket with a carborundum tipped drill bit.

The brittleness is a function of the size of the surface and also how much vibration can be wicked away to other components. In the case of a watch face, the area is very small compared to an iPhone, plus the glass can be very much thicker. Also the watch face to bezel ration is very high compared to an iPhone.

To me sapphire glass for a large phone seems to only have purpose as a marketing gimmick and I don't see Apple doing that. Maybe it will be available as an optional upgrade. So you can have it if you imagine you need it.

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
How do these people know what kind of hybrid laminates Apple have used (IF they have used sapphire).

Everyone thinks they've "got the answer", and everyone's guessing.

Give up, just WAIT.

PS: I think the screen will be transparent rubber :p

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I have to ask, have you actually had a problem of scratches on your iphone screen? I've never had a scratch on my iphone nor have I met anyone who has.

You need to get out more. My 5s has some and my wife's 5c has some big ones.

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
I've had every single iPhone. Not one has any cosmetic damage, much less deep scratches. Nor has one ever cracked or broken.

Yet amongst my friends I've seen some dropped and broken. But it's important to note that the metal body gets scratched and dented in a fall so even if the display glass didn't break, you still have ugly damage.

The reason Apple is changing material is their desire for bragging rights and fat profits. It's typical Apple maneuvers.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I feel apple will surprise all by coming up with a totally new usage of sapphire like building silicon on sapphire chips, i seriously hate this ******** comparing sapphire with gorilla glass. Plus the assumption that apple will use stock sapphire without any treatment.

We are trying to draw some conclusion for a specially treated glass against whatever cheapo sapphire Kyocera tossed into their phone. Really strange video and even weirder to post it here. I considered reporting the article for trolling.

----------

Oh brother. :rolleyes: But we'll all hope this is true. I've never heard of any kind of Sapphire treatment that makes it substantially less brittle. The very thing about it that makes it harder to scratch than GG is what makes it more brittle in an impact. If Apple switched to Diamond, it would be even more scratch resistant and even more brittle on impact.

Or, Apple sees how much profit is being made by third parties selling generic replacement screens and realizes that selling parts only available from Apple can be a lucrative way to grow profit per unit sold. Personally, I suspect Sapphire is much more about this than anything else but will be happy to be proven wrong if Apple's "tempering", "chemically" and "lasers" have yielded some kind of previously unknown breakthrough that brings more impact resistance (than GG).

I have not covered an iPhone screen in 6 years and never had one scratch, so I am not all that excited about a more scratch resistant screen. However, even if you are an expert in the treatment of gems and materials it would not mean much if you had not heard of treatment to make saphire less brittle. It is more than a bit arrogant to assume just because you don't know something, it doesn't exist.

You don't know that Apple is going to even use sapphire in a phone, but you seem completely willing to assume they are going to based on what some guy on the Internet said. You are even willing to go so far and divine a motivation for them to do so.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm not sure how this applies to Apple since 1)we don't know for certain what Apple's plans are with sapphire and 2)if Apple is using it for iPhone displays we have no idea what their engineering/manufacturing process is so this test may not even be comparing apples to apples (pardon the pun).

Agreed. These premature tests are…. premature. The Testers don't even have an official release copy of the iPhone 6 which (supposedly) has the final sapphire material.

The tests could be more meaningful if the testers actually had an actual official release product (iPhone 6) and then compared its screen's structural integrity compared to (say) an iPhone 5S. But that's not going to happen for at least a few more weeks.

iPhone 6 might (likely) be announced on Sept 9, but the final product shipments might not be delivered until a few weeks after.

----------

How do these people know what kind of hybrid laminates Apple have used (IF they have used sapphire).

Everyone thinks they've "got the answer", and everyone's guessing.

Give up, just WAIT.

PS: I think the screen will be transparent rubber :p

Personally the final iPhone 6 screen material will be the same as in latex condoms. But Apple cannot promise that it protects you from STD.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Personally I'd rather have it be more scratch resistant than impact resistant. I'm also going to have a case on my phone, which should help in drops, but the screen will always be susceptible to scratches unless you throw on an annoying screen shield.

Very true. One is more likely to scratch the screen through it's daily use than drop it. We buy cases to ensure good grip and drop protection for our phones, but they always get scratched in purses, pockets, etc.

myforwik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2014
You woudl think they would focus on hardness. Clearly the point of sapphire is to prevent scatches, especially from metal and rocks.

Also note that the iphone6 does not have the screen set in, so a warping of the case should not shatter the glass.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
The use of sapphire on a phone surprises me because of the brittleness. Diamond is also brittle and easily smashed. The bend test does not seem relevant because the glass is supported from below and only has a few millimetres of travel possible. The scratch test doesn't seem such a big deal because gorilla glass resists normal things that scratch just as well. I mean no one is going to keep an iPhone in their pocket with a carborundum tipped drill bit.

The brittleness is a function of the size of the surface and also how much vibration can be wicked away to other components. In the case of a watch face, the area is very small compared to an iPhone, plus the glass can be very much thicker. Also the watch face to bezel ration is very high compared to an iPhone.

To me sapphire glass for a large phone seems to only have purpose as a marketing gimmick and I don't see Apple doing that. Maybe it will be available as an optional upgrade. So you can have it if you imagine you need it.

Makes me wonder, too. Apple's engineers surely compared all the characteristics of sapphire to Gorilla Glass before Apple partnered with GT Advanced Technologies, and there's a lot we don't know yet about their plans. Personally, I'd favor shatter resistance over scratch resistance over resistance to bending.

----------

Me: 50 years driving, 0 accidents.

Consider yourself lucky. No matter how defensively you drive, there's nothing you can do about the driver who rear ends you because they're not paying attention. That's also true with cell phones. Even if you're careful, someone can bump into you and cause you to drop it. That's almost happened to me a few times. Back when I used belt clips, I had my iPhones detach and fall occasionally, which is why I stopped carrying them that way. It's easy to label anyone with a cracked screen as careless, but it's not always so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.