Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Now it’s no longer just the E.U.

Now we just need some big fines going Apple’s way when they inevitably bastardize it with some new MFi none-sense.

We’re probably going to get USB 2.0 speeds from all our current USB-C to USB-C and Thunderbolt cables when used with iPhones 15 and 15 Pro, even the USB-C and Thunderbolt we’ve gotten with iPad, MacBooks, or bought from Apple stores.

All will be limited to 2.0 unless we buy Apple’s all-new ”Magic Cable” for iPhones 15, now with even more MFi nonsense and 75% more model specific limitations.

😩

• Wow
Reactions: Doug Vann

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Indeed, I would almost bet money that Apple will screw us over big style with this. And I know it is capitalism, free enterprise, whatever you want to call it, but stuff like that should be banned. We should be able to get full speed no matter which make of cable we use.

I really hope I am proven wrong, but I highly doubt it. Apple are top of the tree when it comes to unethical money grabbing greedy practices like this.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
Indeed, I would almost bet money that Apple will screw us over big style with this. And I know it is capitalism, free enterprise, whatever you want to call it, but stuff like that should be banned. We should be able to get full speed no matter which make of cable we use.
You'll find that most USB-C phones out there don't transfer at full speed. A large portion of them are still limited to USB 2.0 speeds

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
This makes a lot of sense. I hope that at the very least every manufacturer of consumer electronics and scientific equipment is forced to adopt USB-C as a standard charging input. I work in a lab space and the amount of chargers we have for different devices or holdouts from new companies that still use parallel or serial connections is absurd.

• Haha
Reactions: iOS Geek

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
I can't wait to here how fast USB-D will be!
depends on the protocol, since USB-A/B/C/D.... doesn't say anything about it's speed.
it only determines the physical shape and pin out of the connector.
the USB 1.x, 2.x, or 3.x protocols are the indicators of their actual speeds.
so USB-A could actually be faster than USB-C if it was USB 3.2 and the latter USB 3.0 or even just 2.0, or they could be equally fast if both were using the same protocol.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Had enough of these USB-C/Lightning Port posts… Apple should be courageous again and mandate full wireless only connections and go port-less for their next iPhone.

Reactions: iOS Geek

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I'm looking forward to getting rid of cables once the iPhone hits USB C. Just need a Magic Keyboard, AirPods with USB C. Also my dang Logitech Superlight Pro uses micro-USB....

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Had enough of these USB-C/Lightning Port posts… Apple should be courageous again and mandate full wireless only connections and go port-less for their next iPhone.
No thanks. Port less just means another charging cable

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
No thanks. Port less just means another charging cable
I was kinda only being half serious. Although I am already full wireless with my phone I wouldn't actually be bothered if the next iPhone had a USB-C or Lightning Port. I'd be plugging it up either way.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
I was kinda only being half serious. Although I am already full wireless with my phone I wouldn't actually be bothered if the next iPhone had a USB-C or Lightning Port. I'd be plugging it up either way.

I rather take Xiaomi 120W wired charging or USB-PD supports up to 100W charging.

Not some slow ass wireless charging, not mention both iPhone and Pixel limits wireless charging to slow ass 7.5W if not attached to their stupid first party wireless charger.

Reactions: maerz001

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I rather take Xiaomi 120W wired charging or USB-PD supports up to 100W charging.

Not some slow ass wireless charging, not mention both iPhone and Pixel limits wireless charging to slow ass 7.5W if not attached to their stupid first party wireless charger.
I never find the need to charge during the day as my iPhone 13 has more than enough battery to last me. The only situation that I am aware of that would require someone to constantly charge is CarPlay which I do not have. MagSafe is pretty good though. I think it's 15-20w and it does charge my phone relatively quickly.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
doesn't wireless charging combine the disadvantages of slow charging times and the heat produced by fast charging, killing the battery earlier though?
which of course will not affect those who will replace their phones every year, or second anyway, other than having their charges taking longer

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
doesn't wireless charging combine the disadvantages of slow charging times and the heat produced by fast charging, killing the battery earlier though?
which of course will not affect those who will replace their phones every year, or second anyway, other than having their charges taking longer
I have never noticed my phone becoming hot with MagSafe. I think the puck is far more efficient than the regular charging pad so less heat gets produced.

I have had my iPhone 13 since January 2023 and have been charging via MagSafe every single night. I only used a wired fast charger twice which was really just to check my lightning port was in working order.

Happy to report that my battery life is still at 100%.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
i see. have to admit that i never used wireless charging myself and only read about it producing more heat. and it's not that my iPhone is not getting pretty warm by charging it wired.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
i see. have to admit that i never used wireless charging myself and only read about it producing more heat. and it's not that my iPhone is not getting pretty warm by charging it wired.
I think the difference between wired and MagSafe is negligible. I still plan on getting a battery replacement within 2 years as even phones charged on a 5w Apple charger still require a battery replacement after a couple of years of use.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
my previous (Android!) phone's battery lasted me 12 years.
sure, it was not that great anymore, but still surprisingly good for that amount of time.
my ~1.8 years old iPhone 13's battery is currently at 98% i think, so still a long way until it will need a replacement.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
depends on the protocol, since USB-A/B/C/D.... doesn't say anything about it's speed.
it only determines the physical shape and pin out of the connector.
the USB 1.x, 2.x, or 3.x protocols are the indicators of their actual speeds.
so USB-A could actually be faster than USB-C if it was USB 3.2 and the latter USB 3.0 or even just 2.0, or they could be equally fast if both were using the same protocol.

‘I have no need for additional speed. I do not download or upload large files. USB is just for charging for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.