Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
I want to enlarge my workspace by increasing the resolution. To make more windows fit on the screen. I would like a resolution of 2880 x 1620 pixels (16: 9).

I need HiDPI (x2) resolution in order to take screenshots in high resolution. So it would be great to do 2880 x 1620 pixels in HiiDPI
Got it,

This isn't how it works. You cannot run the monitor at an "actual" resolution of higher than its specifications. You can increase the virtual resolution.

So your best option is to have a resolution of 2560 x 1440 in HiDPI, which is a virtual resolution of 5120 x 2880 which builds a HiDPI resolution in SwitchX. Have you tried this?

Reactions: Evdenek

Thebnt

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
Got it,

This isn't how it works. You cannot run the monitor at an "actual" resolution of higher than its specifications. You can increase the virtual resolution.

So your best option is to have a resolution of 2560 x 1440 in HiDPI, which is a virtual resolution of 5120 x 2880 which builds a HiDPI resolution in SwitchX. Have you tried this?
This will only work on the intel macs not M1. Unless you monitor actually supports 5120 x 2880

Reactions: Evdenek

Evdenek

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
Got it,

I've tried various methods, nothing helps.

I have a Mac on Intel, there you can set any resolution that I want.

Can some kind of HDMI snag adapter help me?

oakcharles19

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Put the plug in the HDMI port. Connect another port, usb-c, dp, whatever, to your desired monitor. Treat the fake 4k HDMI display as your “internal monitor”. You’ll be creating the HIDPI res for the plug. Then you’ll be mirroring to the actual display.

Let’s say Amazon prime then you can return it if it doesn’t work :)
Hello!

Would this one work? It is the closest thing available at my local electronics store (not in the US). I have a ViewSonic 2K display, works great with my PC, not so great with my M1 Mac Mini. So, I need HiDPI.

Thanks!

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
This will only work on the intel macs not M1. Unless you monitor actually supports 5120 x 2880
I don't understand that to be the case.

I currently run my monitor at 6016 x 2538 which is HiDPI of 3008 x 1269 with the active output resolution on my monitor running at native 5120x2160. My monitor doesn't support the 6016 x 2538 resolution natively, but that doesn't matter because it's a virtual resolution.

That being said, I haven't really attempted to generate HiDPI resolutions on anything lower than 4K native resolution, so perhaps this approach doesn't work for 2k/1080p and 1440p monitors.

Thebnt

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
I don't understand that to be the case.

I currently run my monitor at 6016 x 2538 which is HiDPI of 3008 x 1269 with the active output resolution on my monitor running at native 5120x2160. My monitor doesn't support the 6016 x 2538 resolution natively, but that doesn't matter because it's a virtual resolution.

That being said, I haven't really attempted to generate HiDPI resolutions on anything lower than 4K native resolution, so perhaps this approach doesn't work for 2k/1080p and 1440p monitors.
Phil, buddy.. appreciate the enthusiasm on this thread but you are not a relatable person. The majority of us have 2k displays or sub 4K displays on this thread. You’re probably one of the only people here using a 6k monitor. Yet you behave like one of us.. you are simply not relatable and stop confusing everyone! Please purchase a 2k monitor or something like that immediately and then show us this kind of energy and excitement in responding to everything. And find a HiDPI fix for us please.. I have more faith in you than apple at this point

Reactions: turbineseaplane

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
Phil, buddy.. appreciate the enthusiasm on this thread but you are not a relatable person. The majority of us have 2k displays or sub 4K displays on this thread. You’re probably one of the only people here using a 6k monitor. Yet you behave like one of us.. you are simply not relatable and stop confusing everyone! Please purchase a 2k monitor or something like that immediately and then show us this kind of energy and excitement in responding to everything. And find a HiDPI fix for us please.. I have more faith in you than apple at this point
Sure - I have an old LG 34UM95 which I will boot up and test with. I'll report back.

To clarify, this thread is about achieving scaled resolutions on the internal display on a MacBook. I've previously written an entire guide in this thread that delivers the solution (though using an app!). So hopefully my enthusiasm hasn't been too much in vain.

Thebnt

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
Sure - I have an old LG 34UM95 which I will boot up and test with. I'll report back.

To clarify, this thread is about achieving scaled resolutions on the internal display on a MacBook. I've previously written an entire guide in this thread that delivers the solution (though using an app!). So hopefully my enthusiasm hasn't been too much in vain.
No it hasn’t at all. Sorry if I came across rude, my comment was just so you don’t get the image of being the sole rich guy with a 6k monitor on this thread. Thanks again for the effort.. keep us posted if you got the LG monitor to display HiDPI

tommiy

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2015
The 6k being discussed is the virtual MAC resolution rather than the actual resolution. As explained with HiDPI the virtual is a multiple of the physical. Here the physical is only 3008x1260 or less than 4k. This resolution gives a usable text size mapped to a 4k resolution. If you go full 4k then the text is very small. This is visible in the system report under graphics/displays. For instance, when I run my 4k monitor at 2560x1440with HiDPI the virtual is, in fact, 5120x2880 which is reported in the system report. Its all part of the retina display scaling. High Resolution Explained: Features and Benefits (apple.com)

Thebnt

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
The 6k being discussed is the virtual MAC resolution rather than the actual resolution. As explained with HiDPI the virtual is a multiple of the physical. Here the physical is only 3008x1260 or less than 4k. This resolution gives a usable text size mapped to a 4k resolution. If you go full 4k then the text is very small. This is visible in the system report under graphics/displays. For instance, when I run my 4k monitor at 2560x1440with HiDPI the virtual is, in fact, 5120x2880 which is reported in the system report. Its all part of the retina display scaling. High Resolution Explained: Features and Benefits (apple.com)
fine so it’s a 5k monitor running 3008x1260 at 2x. No need to explain HiDPI geez… what about the rest of us with sub 4K displays? Are we to be left in the cold with no HiDPI options? Figure it out Tommy

Ajcn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Awesome.

I don't think that the steps around mirroring are necessary. I've been able to insert custom resolutions into the dedicated external monitor since the early Beta's of 11.3 without needing to take those steps. Both on the internal and external monitor.

The issue is that you still cannot insert any resolution above 6016 pixels wide. Even using your new method.

I'm assuming your monitor is not a higher resolution than 6016 pixels wide?
Do you mean you have been able to add custom resolutions with HiDPI for a 2k external monitor? How?

Ajcn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2021
Sorted! I have got HIDPI working on an external QHD monitor at whatever res I want on an M1 MBP!
Also @ 144hz, despite preferences reporting different. Will also work for your Ultrawide.

SwitchResX -> create a custom resolution for INTERNAL display. Make it 2x the resolution you want, i.e. 3840x2160 for 1080p. Save it and reboot.

Then, connect your laptop up to your monitor. Select the SwitchResX icon in the menu bar at the top. Activate the custom HIDPI res for your internal monitor.

Once you've done that, press "turn video mirroring on", also in the switchres menu bar. This makes the display menu in Mac preferences behave weirdly (pictured below), but it does the trick! Obviously you can only use your external monitor, and not your internal one (they show the same thing) but who cares.

Screw you Apple! And your attempts to destroy the QHD monitor!

Sidenotes:
Since you can’t use clamshell, my advice would be to turn off the keyboard backlight, turn the screen brightness of the internal display down enough so that it’s off, and make sure the touch bar is off so it doesn’t get unnecessary use. I know this sucks, but Apple has a “budget” monitor coming up soon and this is a ploy by them to make us buy that. On Reddit, there are people stating that they’ve thrown out their QHD monitors due to this.

(This should definitely be possible on a Mac Mini. You’ll have to use a 4K EDID spoofer HDMI plug. And then make a custom res for that, and then mirror that - analogous to the internal display.)
How did you enable high refresh rate of 144Hz? There is no option for it when creating scaled resolution in SwitchResX

I used your method and it works for enabling HiDPI but did a UFO test and it shows the display refresh rate to be at 60Hz?

Evdenek

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021
How can I enable 3200 x 1800 pixels HiDPI on my LG 4K monitor?

I can choose this solution without HiDPI, but I cannot enable HIDPI on the Mac M1.

RDPRDP

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2013
I have an M1 Mini with a LG 34UM95 over Thunderbolt, and there is no HDPI available. I use SwitchResX, use the latest beta, and am on the Big Sur Beta program (11.4). No solution provides the HIDPI modes I used to have on my old Intel High Sierra setup using the same monitor. For my eyes I like 2580 x 1080 HIDPI (5160 x 2160). But I can't do that, so just use 2580 x 1080 non HDPI. I dream of how it used to be. Maybe a solution in the future... who knows.

RDP

Thebnt

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
Hey guys! So i got a dummy hdmi plug for my mac mini. It has the option to output resolution at 3840x2160. Still there's no HiDPI options. Shouldn't mac os natively offer HiDPI since I'm at 4k resolution? I've even tried switchresX but to no avail. I can use 4k resolution but everything iis microscopic in size. Please help!

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
Hey guys! So i got a dummy hdmi plug for my mac mini. It has the option to output resolution at 3840x2160. Still there's no HiDPI options. Shouldn't mac os natively offer HiDPI since I'm at 4k resolution? I've even tried switchresX but to no avail. I can use 4k resolution but everything iis microscopic in size. Please help!
yeah thats weird.

if you have a 4k monitor, you should be able to get a HiDPI option natively without having to mess around with any settings or 3rd party options.

I would say have you checked your wiring situation ?

jaziCo

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2009
SoCal (Orange County)
Would this work then?

Did this ever work for you? If so, whats the setup look like ?

Thebnt

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2021
yeah thats weird.

if you have a 4k monitor, you should be able to get a HiDPI option natively without having to mess around with any settings or 3rd party options.

I would say have you checked your wiring situation ?
I've checked everything. The hdmi dummy plug goes in directly via the hdmi port, the display is connected to the mac mini via usb-type c to displayport, tried type-c to hdmi as well.

I can mirror the headless dummy plug's resolution of 3840x2160 to my 1440p monitor, but it still doesn't show any hidpi options..

The hdmi dummy shows up as "Mi TV" on my mac mini.. as seen in the images below it has all of these high resolution options available but no hidpi options even via switchresx... please help someone

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 5.12.23 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 5.12.23 AM.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 124
  • Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 5.11.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 5.11.50 AM.png
    821.3 KB · Views: 122
Reactions: itsphilgeorge

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
Do you mean you have been able to add custom resolutions with HiDPI for a 2k external monitor? How?
No. I have not been able to do that explicitly.

Did you manage to get this working?

(apologies on delay - was away)

itsphilgeorge

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2020
I've checked everything. The hdmi dummy plug goes in directly via the hdmi port, the display is connected to the mac mini via usb-type c to displayport, tried type-c to hdmi as well.

I can mirror the headless dummy plug's resolution of 3840x2160 to my 1440p monitor, but it still doesn't show any hidpi options..

The hdmi dummy shows up as "Mi TV" on my mac mini.. as seen in the images below it has all of these high resolution options available but no hidpi options even via switchresx... please help someone
Hey there - Apologies for the delay here.

Looks like you would need to insert a custom HiDPI resolution in using SwitchResX.

Have you already tried that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.