Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adodas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2023
Hello,
after abandoning the CSAM scanning I’m wondering if Apple is scanning other data on iCloud for any purpose. Apparently they do scan iCloud mail for suspicious content but what are the consequences? Do they close the account? Do they report users straight to law?
Does anyone have further information?

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’d be surprised if they do more than scanning for spam at the moment. The backlash of the public, on these other privacy invading measures was quite intense I think.

Adodas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2023
I’d be surprised if they do more than scanning for spam at the moment. The backlash of the public, on these other privacy invading measures was quite intense I think.
Agree 👍
Is there an information of or how many customers they reported to law on their own? Not due to a search warrant e.g.
Im doing a research for an article at university and the major tech companies are not very cooperative apart from their transparency reports.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
no expert here, but as long as it is encrypted at rest with no key to unlock on their hands, it should not be possible to scan for contents, no?

on the other hand, no-one exactly knows what is happening on your phone, when the data needs to be actually unencrypted while in use.
you have to take the companies words for it.

also, don't want to be the tinfoil hat wearer here and don't say it is, because i have no idea, but in theory it could be possible that they can legitimitely boast "hey, we're not scanning for CSAM contents on your devices! (because we are scanning for everything!)"

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apparently they do scan iCloud mail
If you're concerned about scanning, then, I would recommend an email provider that is more privacy minded then Apple

ProtonMail and Tutanota, are two such providers. I have ProtonMail and I'm very happy with them, but Tutanota is very well reviewed as well.

Adodas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2023
If you're concerned about scanning, then, I would recommend an email provider that is more privacy minded then Apple

ProtonMail and Tutanota, are two such providers. I have ProtonMail and I'm very happy with them, but Tutanota is very well reviewed as well.
Thanks for the tipp!
I’m just collecting as many information as possible :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.