Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Maybe somebody can help explain this... a network expert?

What possible explanation could there be for it working all day after a full hub reboot and then stop working overnight?

• Both the router and Apple TV must be rebooted daily.
• The Apple TV must be powered down during the entire router reboot.

After this tedious reboot procedure, full remote HomeKit remote functionality is restored, but only until the next day.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Hopefully 16.4 will be released soon. I am curious to see if it fixes these issues. I really don’t know how Apple allowed HomeKit to become so broken. Things should just work.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Hopefully 16.4 will be released soon. I am curious to see if it fixes these issues. I really don’t know how Apple allowed HomeKit to become so broken. Things should just work.

It's like some sick joke where we're tricked into an experiment that's perpetually stuck flipping between alpha and beta testing.

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Updated iOS and tvOS to 16.4....

ATV updated and rebooted first. Then after iPhone updated/rebooted, I check Home app and lock appears normal. Then on my iPhone, I shut off Wifi and BT - lock still appears as normal and operational.... that's a successful test of remote functionality. (router last rebooted earlier today before updates)

However, I will not declare it "fixed" until it survives overnight without needing any more router or hub reboots.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
It made the overnight.

For the first time in 7 weeks, the remote HomeKit functionality is working again without a hub reboot. Issue seems to be fully resolved with yesterday's tvOS 16.4 update.

Now I have choices:

1. Just stop accepting tvOS updates ... and/or

2. Not know if/when to apply each tvOS update.

If your refrigerator stopped making ice for 7 weeks, or your car's fuel gauge stuck at 40% for 7 weeks, solely due to firmware, this kind of thing would be unacceptable. But apparently, home automation is just an ongoing experiment in the basement at Apple headquarters, while the emoji team gets the top floor. Great job!

5807458526_dc54025065_b.jpg

Last edited:

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Schlage Sense still working great under the tvOS 16.4 update.

But wow... just wow... I am blown away at how carelessly Apple has treated us with HomeKit updates and the new architecture. IMO, 16.2 and 16.3 were nowhere near ready for release when they were. If it's broken, immediately roll it back; that would seem logical. Instead, Apple just left us hanging for 3-½ months.

Last edited:

sptv1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2023
Oddly I am having the opposite problem. I just updated everything to 16.4 (including ATV) and NOW one of my two Schlage Sense locks is getting the dreaded NO RESPONSE message. The problem started randomly. Everything was fine. Then I updated my system to 16.4 (all except the one ATV that this lock was syncing to). The lock started misbehaving, so I updated the ATV to 16.4 yesterday, and now it won't sync at all. My other Schlage Sense lock is working fine.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Oddly I am having the opposite problem. I just updated everything to 16.4 (including ATV) and NOW one of my two Schlage Sense locks is getting the dreaded NO RESPONSE message. The problem started randomly. Everything was fine. Then I updated my system to 16.4 (all except the one ATV that this lock was syncing to). The lock started misbehaving, so I updated the ATV to 16.4 yesterday, and now it won't sync at all. My other Schlage Sense lock is working fine.

Are both Schlage locks on the same Schlage firmware? 4.31 ?

Did you try anything I previously had done in this thread?

• Try rebooting your router while the the ATV (and all Home hub devices) are powered down.

• Try removing and reinstalling batteries in the lock which forces it to reboot.

• Try logging your ATV out of all iCloud services, Apple Store, etc., reboot ATV and log back into everything.

• Try removing ATV from HomeKit and adding it back.

So far, these suggestions do not require losing anything or starting over.

Last resort, delete the lock from HomeKit, do a factory reset on the Schlage lock, and start over. For a Schlage Sense, hold the Schlage icon button on the exterior keypad while removing/reconnecting batteries. This wipes everything clean except the factory default programming codes. Then add the Schlage directly to the Home app using the HomeKit code.

The Schlage app is not required until you want to update firmware, add user codes, or change lock options. Once you add the lock in HomeKit, then it should appear automatically within the Schlage app. If one desired, the Schlage app can be deleted and everything still works (I verified), but you will not be able to see battery, firmware, history, or edit user codes or options.

BTW: I never created a Schlage Account because the security of such is questionable. Without a Schlage Account, you can still use the Schlage app, however, you cannot add a lock using the Schlage app. Without a Schlage Account, the lock can only be added to HomeKit via the Home app.

Last edited:

sptv1

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2023
After a lot of trouble shooting, I narrowed it down to the Schlage lock that was working, was in the room with the CONNECTED HUB (a HomePod). When I brought the non-working lock into that room, it worked too. When I took the working lock into the garage (where the non-working lock was), it stopped working. In the end, I unplugged all my hubs (4 HomePods and 2 ATVs). I have the connected hub in the garage now, and everything seems to be working (for the moment). The likely fix was the complete system reboot, because now both Schlage's are working, one in the garage (with the connected hub) and one in the living room (with a standby hub).

Reactions: sparky672

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
I have the same problem here. My Sense lock was working perfectly for years before updating to iOS 16.2. Since then, no more notifications when my lock is used to lock or unlock and no remote access (no response from device).

ATV updated to tvOS 16.4 and iPhone updated to 16.4.1. Rebooted all devices but same problem.

I see sparky672 had his problem resolved when he updated to tvOS 16.4 but it didn't work for me. What did you do? I'm very frustrated trying to look around for a solution and by trying different things. Do you receive notifications on your phone as well from your lock?

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
sparky672 had his problem resolved when he updated to tvOS 16.4 but it didn't work for me. What did you do?

Everything that I had tried I posted here in this thread. I did not simply update to 16.4. Before that, I got it working each day by doing a reboot procedure involving the router and Apple TV, which is described in detail. Then after updating to 16.4, daily reboots were no longer required. Have you already updated to the new HomeKit architecture?

Last resort, do a Schlage factory reset and re-add the lock. You will only lose a couple settings and user codes from the Schlage app.

Last edited:

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
I did read and tried everything you did... This is why I was asking. I found this thread and was happy to see I was not alone having this issue. But it seems that nothing fixed it for me yet.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
I did read and tried everything you did... This is why I was asking. I found this thread and was happy to see I was not alone having this issue. But it seems that nothing fixed it for me yet.

You may need to factory reset the lock. Are you using the new HomeKit architecture?

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Yes I am using the new architecture and like I said, I tried everything you did, so yes, I did make a factory reset as well. also tried to delete the lock from HomeKit, did a factory reset on the Schlage lock, and started over but without success.

Oh and do you receive notifications since you got success having retrieved full remote control of your lock?

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
Yes I am using the new architecture and like I said, I tried everything you did, so yes, I did make a factory reset as well. also tried to delete the lock from HomeKit, did a factory reset on the Schlage lock, and started over but without success.

Oh and do you receive notifications since you got success having retrieved full remote control of your lock?

Yes, I have full remote control of my lock including (HomeKit) notifications and status. Everything is back to normal like it was before 16.2.

FYI, for lock status notifications, I only care about them from the Home app; I have the Schlage app's notifications disabled.

You may have to dump this back on Schlage tech support, since the Sense model is still being sold and advertised as fully working with HomeKit as long as you have an Apple Home hub.

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Yeah me too I'm using the Home app to lock and unlock and for the notifications as well. I'm using the same configuration than you. I barely use the Schlage app.

I think I will try it over again. I have nothing to lose.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
I think I will try it over again. I have nothing to lose.

Delete the lock from HomeKit first. Removing the batteries. Before putting the batteries back in, shut down all Apple Home hubs and reboot router. When router comes back, power up Apple Home hubs. Then finally, hold the outdoor Schlage button while inserting the batteries... this last step wipes the lock back to factory default.

Schlage app should show no locks. Start in Home app... add the lock using the HomeKit code. Then a few minutes after it's added to HomeKit, open the Schlage app and your lock should already be back in there. Then Schlage app is the only place you can set user codes and other lock options.

FWIW, months ago I had an issue where lock would go unavailable in Home app, but ONLY while I was watching TV. I simply had to replace the HDMI cable. Apparently, you can get interference from crappy HDMI cables that can disrupt the Bluetooth signal between the lock and the Apple TV.

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
I never had trouble accessing the lock with the Home app at home before watching TV, etc.

For the rest, I will try the steps once again but not today. My kids will shout at me if they lose WiFi for one second! lol
It might take a while before I try but I'll keep people posted.

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
I got it working again. However, I didn't have to reset my lock. I removed the accessory from the Home app and added I it back. That's it. The lock now works perfectly. I receive notifications again and the lock work remotely as well.

The only drawback is the fact that I had to add back my personal code to unlock again in the Schlage app. The previous code had been deleted. Strange.

Anyhow, everything is back to normal. Thanks for the support.

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2004
The only drawback is the fact that I had to add back my personal code to unlock again in the Schlage app. The previous code had been deleted. Strange.

They have it designed that way. When you remove it from HomeKit, the lock is automatically removed from the Schlage app. Then when you add it back into HomeKit, the lock automatically appears in the Schlage app and you have to re-add the user codes and all the settings. You'd think these things would be stored in the Schlage app or the lock, and re-appear when re-added, but they are not. I believe this proves all Schlage user codes and lock setting are stored in HomeKit when using HomeKit.

However, I didn't have to reset my lock. I removed the accessory from the Home app and added I it back. That's it. ... The only drawback is the fact that I had to add back my personal code to unlock again in the Schlage app.

Okay... this part is really strange since you had to reprogram your user codes, it sounds like you actually did a factory reset after all.

You cannot add it back to HomeKit without a factory reset because the lock will not be discoverable after punching in the HomeKit code.

CyberDynamite

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2023
Thanks for the information about having to re-enter the code in the Schlage app. This makes sense. However, not all the settings were lost in that app because the personalized name I had given to the lock was still there. Only the code was missing.

But I can ensure you I didn't make a factory reset. I didn't even touch the lock when I removed and added it back in the Home app. The Home app re-discovered the lock without any problem, then I entered the Homekit code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.