Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I have updated my Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 last night. After updating my Mac, I see a flicker on my screen a white box appeared on the center of the screen for a second. Then, I watched videos or movies on YouTube/Netflix using Safari, there is a weird flickering on my screen. It just looks like screen brightness goes up and down continuously. Exiting and re-entering to fullscreen fixes the problem.

Is there anyone who also experience this issue after updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.6?

EDIT: It is fixed after upgrading to macOS Catalina.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I have updated my Early 2015 13" MacBook Pro to macOS Mojave 10.14.6 last night. After updating my Mac, I see a flicker on my screen a white box appeared on the center of the screen for a second. Then, I watched videos or movies on YouTube/Netflix using Safari, there is a weird flickering on my screen. It just looks like screen brightness goes up and down continuously. Exiting and re-entering to fullscreen fixes the problem.

Is there anyone who also experience this issue after updating to macOS Mojave 10.14.6?

Haven't experience this issue in 10.14.6. Just tested few videos with different players, browsers.

No flickering or artifacts in both window and full screen mode.

P.S. hardware as per my signature

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Haven't experience this issue in 10.14.6. Just tested few videos with different players, browsers.

No flickering or artifacts in both window and full screen mode.

P.S. hardware as per my signature

Well, this issue does not happen immediately after I enter the fullscreen. This happens after few minutes. Moreover, it is very likely that this is because of buggy graphics driver so this should only be experienced on Intel Iris Graphics 6100 or something.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Well, this issue does not happen immediately after I enter the fullscreen. This happens after few minutes. Moreover, it is very likely that this is because of buggy graphics driver so this should only be experienced on Intel Iris Graphics 6100 or something.

I see, then need some Iris 6100 users to help the test. I don't have that.

But I can play more videos (and play longer) to see if I can hit any bug.

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland

I don't have the issue on my 2015 MacBook Pro 15" without dGPU (model 11,4). My System Information lists my graphics card as Iris Pro.

adamofoz

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
2015 13" mbp same flickering during full screen videos, sometime a pink line too. started with 10.14.6 as well, in safari, not tried another browser. (with intel iris 6100)
[doublepost=1565813129][/doublepost]Actually, i think it might be related to screen brightness auto changing as it happened quite reliably for a while as i walked between the laptop and a window.

Last edited:
Reactions: levanid

EternalSynergy

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2019
Same problem on my Macbook Pro 13 2015. Flickering screen on fullscreen youtube in Safari. I have red flickering vertical line more on the left side of screen. No issues on fullscreen videos in Chrome and Firefox. Issue appeared after updating to MacOS 10.14.6.

Reactions: Marinier

glitch626

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2019
Just started experiencing this on my 2015 21.5 Retina 4K iMac (with Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200) today. Seems to be a problem with every browser/website/player. I've tested for it in QuickTime, Safari (Youtube), Chrome, and iTunes. Almost looks like the display is trying to enter sleep mode, repeatedly. Vertical video in QuickTime does appear to work properly in full screen, though.

Thanks for the tip about exiting and re-entering.

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
In my case when i watch youtube videos and i stop moving the mouse, the colours are changing and they look warmer but when i watch Netflix and i stop moving the mouse, the quality of the videos is going down and i can see the artifacts when there's dark scene. If i start moving the mouse, it's back to good quality, no artifacts and so on. I had that in 10.14.4, it was fixed in 10.14.5 and now it's back again.

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
In my case when i watch youtube videos and i stop moving the mouse, the colours are changing and they look warmer but when i watch Netflix and i stop moving the mouse, the quality of the videos is going down and i can see the artifacts when there's dark scene. If i start moving the mouse, it's back to good quality, no artifacts and so on. I had that in 10.14.4, it was fixed in 10.14.5 and now it's back again.

Reported this bug to Apple last week, haven't heard a response yet.

Reactions: levanid

Lion_Mini_Yosemite_rMBP

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2018
Nashville, TN

I encounter this issue, with both Netflix and Youtube as you stated, but only when I have "Night Shift" enabled, otherwise it operates normally. Are you having this issue when Night Shift is off?

tkris96

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Actually I know this thread is one month old, but did you happen to figure out what was causing the problem? I recently bought an early 2015 second-hand Macbook Pro and these kind of bugs suddenly started happening not just when I watched full-screen video in Safari but also when I was using other applications. These were more like red-blue-red lines across the screen or part of the screen appearing for milliseconds. Most frequently the screen bugged when I was watching full-screen video in Safari and if I was changing the brightness the bug could be reproduced easily (every time I changed the brightness in Safari while watching video full-screen it happened). None of the other browsers bugged out the screen, I tried Firefox and Chrome but I think if I install Chrome it also causes the bug to happen even in desktop mode when using other apps (I don't know how). For further research I updated to the newest macOS, Catalina beta, and the weird screen-flicker still happens in Safari, but didn't happen when on the desktop so at least half of the problem is gone but this time I didn't install Chrome (only Firefox) because I was thinking that maybe it could be the application that is carrying the bug over to the desktop and other apps (can't be sure about it but I don't want to corrupt the current OS with installing Chrome and enabling the possibility that the bug appears and carries over to my desktop and other apps again). So this is the whole story for me that I figured out. If anybody is still reading this thread it would be nice if you could give me and the others some feedback on what is the current state of this problem with you. :)

adamofoz

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2019
Hi well im still on 10.14.6 and still having the issue on full screen safari video. i just avoid doing it now. if you had those vertical lines on your desktop i would look into hardware problems wasn't there an issue with screen cables being a smidge too short? its definitely only ever happened for me in safari full screen video

tkris96

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2019
Hi well im still on 10.14.6 and still having the issue on full screen safari video. i just avoid doing it now. if you had those vertical lines on your desktop i would look into hardware problems wasn't there an issue with screen cables being a smidge too short? its definitely only ever happened for me in safari full screen video

Actually I don't think it's hardware because since I updated to Catalina Beta the problem disappeared. It only happens in full-screen Safari since then.

gnommak

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2019
I can confirm that screen flicker is back in Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88)
It's happens only in Chrome when I go to YouTube full screen and stop moving mouse, after 2 seconds the screen will flicker from 1 to 3 times. Also sometimes I have red or white vertical lines. This will immediately disappear if I move the mouse or exit full screen.
I tested this with internal and external monitors over HDMI or DisplayPort, same issue on all connections.
I have MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015) with Intel Iris 6100 graphics.
Issue can be seen on my video:

akshaysalunke13

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2019
I’m having this issue on MBP 13” 2018 on MacOS 10.15.2. When I play a video in full screen in any app/website(YouTube, Netflix, QuickTime) the screen flickers after a few moments. The flicker is very subtle and stops when video is paused or not full screen.

daniel113004

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2020
i have a 2015 macbook pro 13 inch 128 GB it happens to me and I've called apple about it but the process of me talking to them has been very long I've been complaining to them for almost 2 years at first i took my computer to the store and they replaced the display logic board and fan and the second time i took it the replaced the display now at this point i got tired of them and just downgraded from catalina all the was to yosemite and updated to high sierra which is the last update that did not have this issue so its something new they are using and they are trying to make me go in again but i say no because it has to be software since it also happens on my dads MacBook air and my apple care just expired so at this point i feel like getting a touch bar mac book pro to eliminate the hassle i think this is their way of telling us to update
[automerge]1578110424[/automerge]
I’m having this issue on MBP 13” 2018 on MacOS 10.15.2. When I play a video in full screen in any app/website(YouTube, Netflix, QuickTime) the screen flickers after a few moments. The flicker is very subtle and stops when video is paused or not full screen.
for me the flickering in catalina is subtle and happens in the dark while in mojave the flickering happens when you have something bright infant of the sensor let me know if you have found a fix

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Dunno if this post of mine helps anyone but I updated my MBP (early 2015") from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.6 and short while after that noticed that when watching a movie in iTunes the screen would flicker constantly from normal to brighter screen (kinda hard to explain...). I did some research and discovered that turning off subtitles helped a bit to minimize the flicker but it was still there. Also not using fullscreen helped. But as I wanted to use subtitles and fullscreen while watching movies, I continued seeking answers to this effin' annoying bug and FINALLY I FOUND A SOLUTION: all I had to do was to go to Settings - Accessibility - Display -> Change the size of the cursor bigger! After that little change, the flickering stopped :D

guzzy92fs

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2020
Dunno if this post of mine helps anyone but I updated my MBP (early 2015") from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.6 and short while after that noticed that when watching a movie in iTunes the screen would flicker constantly from normal to brighter screen (kinda hard to explain...). I did some research and discovered that turning off subtitles helped a bit to minimize the flicker but it was still there. Also not using fullscreen helped. But as I wanted to use subtitles and fullscreen while watching movies, I continued seeking answers to this effin' annoying bug and FINALLY I FOUND A SOLUTION: all I had to do was to go to Settings - Accessibility - Display -> Change the size of the cursor bigger! After that little change, the flickerin
[automerge]1579416830[/automerge]
This solution works, fixed a 15" 2015 pro in Catalina. Thanks. But how did you figured out that the issue was with the cursor size?!!! You rock!!

Reactions: Chrisgp123

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
[automerge]1579416830[/automerge]
This solution works, fixed a 15" 2015 pro in Catalina. Thanks. But how did you figured out that the issue was with the cursor size?!!! You rock!!

Thanks for the compliment :) but I didn't figure it out myself, I just did some tedious Googling with many different search phrases (all relating to flickering in mac OS) and luckily came across a link that had the right solution.

Kinda annoying that Apple hasn't fixed this issue if it occurs in Catalina too :/

Pattaya

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Dunno if this post of mine helps anyone but I updated my MBP (early 2015") from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.6 and short while after that noticed that when watching a movie in iTunes the screen would flicker constantly from normal to brighter screen (kinda hard to explain...). I did some research and discovered that turning off subtitles helped a bit to minimize the flicker but it was still there. Also not using fullscreen helped. But as I wanted to use subtitles and fullscreen while watching movies, I continued seeking answers to this effin' annoying bug and FINALLY I FOUND A SOLUTION: all I had to do was to go to Settings - Accessibility - Display -> Change the size of the cursor bigger! After that little change, the flickering stopped :D

This solution worked on my Mac mini connected to TV, thanks very much for passing on this tip, you’re a star.

I still can’t quite believe that the solution actually worked, but it 100% does, thanks again.

Reactions: Chrisgp123

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2020
You Saved my day Lady!!!!
Thank you Very much... It works... It even happened on my latest 2019 Retina macbook air on macOS Catalina 10.15.4
RIP Steve...
EDIT:Not working again after a restart...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.