Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marinier

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2017
Ukraine, Kharkiv city
Same problem on my Macbook Pro 13 2015. Flickering screen on fullscreen youtube in Safari. I have red flickering vertical line more on the left side of screen. No issues on fullscreen videos in Chrome and Firefox. Issue appeared after updating to MacOS 10.14.6.
Was like this? I'm on Mojave 10.14.6 and I started to see these red lines but never appearing wile watching video, especially fullscreen video. Although wile I am using other apps (multiple working spaces) it happens sometimes. There was a week I was making my MacBook sleep through the night and waking up in the morning to continue my work (each day). By the end of week these red lines appeared really often. I even had an opportunity to record a video with dozens of times these lines appeared. This is why I think it may be related somehow to a sleep mode and software lags. At first I thought it may be a hardware issue, but stress-tests with GPU/CPU-loads revealed no correlation with these red lines.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    3 MB · Views: 234
  • 2.png
    2.png
    3 MB · Views: 282

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Any update/follow up?

It is fixed for me after Catalina update and the report marked as closed. I believe the glitch you are having is different issue and does not happen on my devices. You should report it with all the diagnosis and possible video recording.

gustavo_tostes

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2020
I think I have this problem on my MacBook Pro 13" 2015 (i5 2.9 GHz, 16gb 1867 MHz, 128gb SSD, Iris Graphics 6100). I'm on Mojave 10.14.6, anybody know if really fixed this on Catalina 10.15.X ?

dreadlord

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
I think I have this problem on my MacBook Pro 13" 2015 (i5 2.9 GHz, 16gb 1867 MHz, 128gb SSD, Iris Graphics 6100). I'm on Mojave 10.14.6, anybody know if really fixed this on Catalina 10.15.X ?

I have the same device and all graphical issues has been fixed since I upgraded to Catalina.

h1234d

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
Dunno if this post of mine helps anyone but I updated my MBP (early 2015") from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.6 and short while after that noticed that when watching a movie in iTunes the screen would flicker constantly from normal to brighter screen (kinda hard to explain...). I did some research and discovered that turning off subtitles helped a bit to minimize the flicker but it was still there. Also not using fullscreen helped. But as I wanted to use subtitles and fullscreen while watching movies, I continued seeking answers to this effin' annoying bug and FINALLY I FOUND A SOLUTION: all I had to do was to go to Settings - Accessibility - Display -> Change the size of the cursor bigger! After that little change, the flickering stopped :D
Lol this still works in Big Sur, thanks!

Reactions: inkhorn

FlorinDumitrasc

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2021
The trick with the coursor really works, and I have another solution tried by me: Disable the auto-brightness for the screen. I know that it’s not a Pleasant solution, but that happens because of the ambient-light senzor. You can try to cover the senzor (near camera), and you will see that the flickering starts at that moment. So my conclusion is, there’s a software issue with that sensor.

Reactions: Bi3fcJMc

natepf

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
he/him. minnesota, u of m tc
The trick with the coursor really works, and I have another solution tried by me: Disable the auto-brightness for the screen. I know that it’s not a Pleasant solution, but that happens because of the ambient-light senzor. You can try to cover the senzor (near camera), and you will see that the flickering starts at that moment. So my conclusion is, there’s a software issue with that sensor.
This only works until restart. But holy **** I just got my Mac back from an entire logic board repair (on warranty thank god) for this issue, but it wasn’t solved and I’m kinda furious this just happens

natepf

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2021
he/him. minnesota, u of m tc
Today I got my Mac back from a LOGIC BOARD REPLACEMENT I was given after saying I had this issue. (It only happens on intel integrated graphics by the way.) Now finding out I was researching the wrong issues and this is actually common. God. At least I got my logic board replaced for free after a year of intensive use at the end of the day ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

IGI2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Dunno if this post of mine helps anyone but I updated my MBP (early 2015") from Sierra to High Sierra 10.13.6 and short while after that noticed that when watching a movie in iTunes the screen would flicker constantly from normal to brighter screen (kinda hard to explain...). I did some research and discovered that turning off subtitles helped a bit to minimize the flicker but it was still there. Also not using fullscreen helped. But as I wanted to use subtitles and fullscreen while watching movies, I continued seeking answers to this effin' annoying bug and FINALLY I FOUND A SOLUTION: all I had to do was to go to Settings - Accessibility - Display -> Change the size of the cursor bigger! After that little change, the flickering stopped :D
Your piece of advice worked.

My setup:
Safari 15.1
macOS Monterey 12.0.1
MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Mid 2015

Thanks!

ton_adam

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
Thanks for the compliment :) but I didn't figure it out myself, I just did some tedious Googling with many different search phrases (all relating to flickering in mac OS) and luckily came across a link that had the right solution.

Kinda annoying that Apple hasn't fixed this issue if it occurs in Catalina too :/

Many thanks. Finally a solution, changing the mouse pointer. Unbelievable.

And this with the brand new macOS Monterey OS. Old MacBook Pro though: Early 2015.

theron85

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2022
I know this is old but I had this problem now and have found a permanent fix that does work after MacBook is restarted. I changed screen resolution to 1440 x 900. Screen flickers in all other resolutions available when full screen and subtitles enabled.

mrhat999

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2022
I still have this problem that iFoure mentioned in their post on Early 2015 Macbook Pro. When watching high res video content, there will be very short but very bright, white flashes. Its hard to get on camera since the camera will balance it out automatically, but it's definitely there especially in darker scenes.

It only happens on full screen and only when no other content is displayed except for the video. For example, when I set the cursor on the play button so that the Menu of the webplayer does not hide itself, then there will be no flashes at all.

Only one of the mentioned fixes works for me: Changing cursor size in accesibility menu. Turning off the automatic brightness, cursor wiggle or battery options does not do a thing for me. When I adjust the size of the cursor however, I can literally see how the whole image of the video is recomposed, while the sound even clearly cuts out for a second, until the video resumes without the bright flashes. However, this is not persistent and the flashes will come back eventually.

What can be the cause? Its a hassle to have to navigate to the cursor menu all the time. This problem has been around on my machine since over 2 years and none of the system updates on this period have made a difference as far as I can tell.

What's with the cursor that might upset the Quartz Compositor so much? Is it possible to reset the compositor somehow ?

thanks

wellwh0

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2022
I'm having same problem on early 2015 MacBook Pro 13" running Monterey 12.6.1. I'm having this laptop from 2015 and it had flickering issue from day one. It flickers white flashes. Flickering happens on Firefox, Chrome and Safari. Solution that worked for me is turning off hardware acceleration on Chrome than it stops. It really is pity considering price of laptop when it was new. Probably my last Mac, quality considering price for me isn't there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.