Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vicness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2014
South Africa
Do you think it's necessary to have screen protection on your iphone and ipad? I tried putting on mine, and it just ends up looking like bubbles and dust

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
Do you think it's necessary to have screen protection on your iphone and ipad? I tried putting on mine, and it just ends up looking like bubbles and dust

That's probably because you are doing it incorrectly. There are several methods to doing it properly, and if you are unable, take it to a mall kiosk. They do it there.

To answer the question, YES you need a screen protector. The new tempered glass models are probably the best way to go for now. But yes you need a screen protector. They are hugely important. Your installation was probably just incorrect.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I am wicked careful with my electronics and only clean them with iKlear and a microfiber cloth - but even as careful as I am, my iPhones and iPads get surface scratches on the glass. On my phones, I definitely use screen protectors. I had one on my iPad until just recently when a keyboard cover interfered with it. Right now my iPad is without a screen protector.

However as much as I do recommend screen protectors, they are garbage with a yucky install. I am very patient and really good at getting no bubbles or dust underneath the screen protectors. My co-workers will bring in their phones to me to put on their screen protectors. Hehe.......

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
3 iPads and two iPhones in my house and not one screen protector or scratch. If you look after your stuff you don't need one.

Same here. My wife's iPad 2 is still in great condition and the screen doesn't have a single scratch on it. I had 3 iPhones already and 1 iPad for myself and I only used a screen protector on my 1st iPhone and it was a pain.

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
Same here. My wife's iPad 2 is still in great condition and the screen doesn't have a single scratch on it. I had 3 iPhones already and 1 iPad for myself and I only used a screen protector on my 1st iPhone and it was a pain.

I'm glad you've been lucky, but don't you think that you would be safer if you have a <$10 screen protector on it? I just think that safety is very important, especially if you plan on selling your device once you get a new one...

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I'm glad you've been lucky, but don't you think that you would be safer if you have a <$10 screen protector on it? I just think that safety is very important, especially if you plan on selling your device once you get a new one...

I definitely am a proponent of screen protectors as surface scratches do occur. When I see the posts that say they never get scratches on their screens and they don't use protectors, I'm scratching my head. I've had 4 different iPhones and 3 different iPads. I am really so careful with my electronics and usually it will take a few weeks from getting a new model phone or iPad for my favorite screen savers to be released. So my screens are only naked for a couple of weeks. And I am just so careful with them - use only clean hands and only clean the screens with iKlear and a clean microfiber cloth. Even so, in just a couple of weeks I can always see tiny surface scratching. Not noticeable looking straight on but when holding the dark screen up to the light and moving it around. So I'm really perplexed on how those without the protectors can claim they never get scratches.

I always have a screen protector on my iPhone as it's always being slipped in and out of a purse or in a pocket in my car. I really like the Bodyguardz Pure glass protector. For my iPad I usually like the Power Support Crystal clear protectors. I had one on my iPad but recently it got bunched when using a keyboard so I took it off and my iPad is now without one. I think I'm going to continue with the iPad without a protector. I usually get top trade in at Best Buy and I'll see if it makes a difference next year with this iPad not having a protector.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

I don't think it's luck. My wife doesn't have one and she puts hers in her purse with all her other stuff and the screen is fine also. And it's not a safety issues if the screen gets scratch on it. I haven't sold any of my devices either, I just pass them down to the kids or another family member.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
3 iPads and two iPhones in my house and not one screen protector or scratch. If you look after your stuff you don't need one.

Agreed. I was obsessed with a screen protector on my new 4S in 2011, but after 5 protectors and never getting one quite right. I got made and just went without it.

Long store short:

2 years on iPhone 4S with no protector - no scratch
2 years on iPad 3, never with a protector - no scratch

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
Agreed. I was obsessed with a screen protector on my new 4S in 2011, but after 5 protectors and never getting one quite right. I got made and just went without it.

Long store short:

2 years on iPhone 4S with no protector - no scratch
2 years on iPad 3, never with a protector - no scratch

I just had an argument with a guy on another thread about cases, and their importance. Here, with screen protectors--- I think they are useful. If you find yourself unable to apply one, take it to the mall, and ask them to do it. They do hundreds of them. They just helpe keep your phone protected, should you ever decide to sell it. If you don't sell it ever, fine, but I think they help.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I just had an argument with a guy on another thread about cases, and their importance. Here, with screen protectors--- I think they are useful. If you find yourself unable to apply one, take it to the mall, and ask them to do it. They do hundreds of them. They just helpe keep your phone protected, should you ever decide to sell it. If you don't sell it ever, fine, but I think they help.

I agree with you. The screen protectors definitely help. And I truly don't believe that it is possible to not get surface scratches if you use the screen at all. I've had co-workers tell me that they never get scratches. When I show them their screens under a light - they can then see the surface scratching that is there. At the end of the day, it's a personal decision. If you don't want scratches - use a screen protector. If you don't care or you can't see scratches - then don't bother with a screen protector.

Right now I'm running without one as my iPad is 9 months old and not totally brand new and perfect anymore. I have some tiny, tiny nicks on the shiny bezel of the iPad and the back of my iPad had one very teeny, weeny black dot when I got it brand new. I didn't see it until I got the iPad home so I didn't imagine they would swap it out. I covered it up with a white carbon fiber skin. Actually like the look of the skin and it makes the iPad have a better grip. So although my iPad is still looking pretty, it's not perfect anymore and I won't be holding the screen up under the light to see the surface scratching. I'm kind of over it. I'll be interested to see if I get any difference in trade in value for this iPad.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here

Not a bad idea about using the mall guys.

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
Even better. Buy it at the store and have them do it. The reason I don't use screen protectors is because I can't put them on correctly and I'm too lazy to go anywhere to have someone do it for me.

That's a good idea. Most people do that, but they usually are cheaper on the internet. But if you just get it at the mall, then I say that's pretty good :)

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014

Yes. You need a screen protector. I agree with most people on this thread, just take it to a mall or a store, and they will do it properly.

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
I put mine on (if not at the mall) using the hinge method. Look on youtube, its really easy. All you need is some tape, I'd say its worth it. You can avoid a lot of the bubbles and dust with proper installation. Just a thought :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
IMO, it's recommended but not necessary. If you are careful you should not have a problem. A screen protector saved my iPad when a small screwdriver accidentally flew out of my hands and landed tip first on the screen protector and it damaged the film but not glass. It's a personal choice and neither choice is wrong, it's up to you.

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
IMO, it's recommended but not necessary. If you are careful you should not have a problem. A screen protector saved my iPad when a small screwdriver accidentally flew out of my hands and landed tip first on the screen protector and it damaged the film but not glass. It's a personal choice and neither choice is wrong, it's up to you.

It's just an added insurance to the device. Mind you, cheap insurance.

caseycicada

macrumors member
May 27, 2014
I stand by my original post- it's a good idea. Most of the issues with screen protectors are easy to bypass.

I certainly agree. It's easy to put them on correctly. Most people just don't read the instructions before installing, and that is what causes the issues.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My Mini which I have been using without a screen protector has already developed a small nick on the screen. I have no idea how it got there as I baby the device. Thankfully i'm within my 15 day return window at Walmart so i'll get it exchanged.

vulcanvillalta

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2014
Good is subjective. It's up to the individual to determine what precautions he/she prefers to use. I prefer using them. Not everyone does.

I appreciate that, but I mean, how can you not see the perks of having it? It just doesn't make sense to me. Use protection. Have insurance. It's just a good idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.