Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Got a cosmetic flaw on your OLED iPhone X? Would you:

• be so happy with FaceID and probably not have noticed it anyway!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
This being my first iPhone in 5 years or so, I have to say it's embarrassing how easily the screen scratches. No wonder the threads regarding screen covers is so huge. I haven't had a screen cover on a phone in forever but I may have to get one now. I expected better from Apple considering their build quality has always been excellent.

Reactions: gmcgown

Schizoide

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
iPhones feature dual-ionized glass, not Gorilla Glass which performs better against scratches. Now the iPhone's screen is capable of getting micro scratches that are easily visible under direct light, but it's well protected against deep scratches.

Last edited:

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
sadly i discovered this on my ipad pro 12.9 :( . has to be something with the new glass they're using.

my refurbed ipad 3 (4 years old next week) is scratch free, never used a screen protector.
my pro 12.9, which i thought would be just as durable so i didn't put a protector on it, got a scratch on it within a few months. it now has a glass screen protector on it but that scratch will always be there as a sad reminder of my folly.

Attachments

• IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 500

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
This being my first iPhone in 5 years or so, I have to say it's embarrassing how easily the screen scratches. No wonder the threads regarding screen covers is so huge. I haven't had a screen cover on a phone in forever but I may have to get one now. I expected better from Apple considering their build quality has always been excellent.

I do not find that it scratches easy. I have not had other than micro scratches on any of my iPhones and refuse to use a screen protector and do not "baby" my phone. I do use common sense and make sure that sharp objects do not get placed near my screen.

I would say most here are in the same boat.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
It does scratch easily but be ready for the posters who will say there screen is perfect with no scratches and been caseless and dropped 20 times. Lol.

I have had a phone since the 4S and I have never gotten a scratch. Dropped 20x20 times. (JK)

I do/did use a SCREEN PROTECTOR. Why chance it?

Reactions: AndrewR23

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I do not find that it scratches easy. I have not had other than micro scratches on any of my iPhones and refuse to use a screen protector and do not "baby" my phone. I do use common sense and make sure that sharp objects do not get placed near my screen.

I would say most here are in the same boat.
My iPhone 6 plus and it's replacements all get micro scratches fairly easily. The various Android phones havent from me experience

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You can get micro scratches from a microfiber cloth but they do not bother me and are not an issue.

Scratches would bother me but I have not scratched a single iPhone in 10 plus years.

You can't if their cleaned.... Don't even use them and is in a pocket I only put my phone in. Right now I have an iPhone 6 plus and a Google Pixel XL so I shall see if my android phone survives micro scratches better

Also don't fudge numbers because the iPhone itself is only 9 years old not 10 plus

darkside flow

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Toronto
Unfortunately, the 7 Plus screen seems to be like butter to me. I've received a replacement device for unrelated reasons, but my first phone incurred a scratch from the top right through to the bottom of the screen within 3 weeks. The culprit? microsuede on the inside of my leather pouch. I couldn't find any debris that would be responsible otherwise.

I've had an iPhone 3G, 4, 5, 5S and 6. Never used screen protectors and have never had anything but minor imperfections that you have to struggle to see. I'm hoping my replacement 7 Plus is better than the first in this respect.

techiebug

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah they will get scratches. Happened to 2 of my phones. Note that I didn't really baby it and try to just use it normally. Didn't really notice until I have it outside under the sunlight. I'll sell it next year anyway so not a big deal

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I wish apple would do something to make the oleophobic coating more resilient and scratch-resistant. On every iPhone I've owned I only need to think about the coating to scratch it. Shame.

Having said that, no screen protectors nor cases on my iPhone 6 and now 7 (since launch) and all I have are micro scratches in the coating - visible only under bright direct light.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
It does scratch easily but be ready for the posters who will say there screen is perfect with no scratches and been caseless and dropped 20 times. Lol.
Right here!

I've never used screen protectors and never had any scratches on my iPhones. My Watch is a different story... That had a few faint lines/scratches on the screen within the first month of use.

I still have a circa 2008 iPod Touch that has scratches galore both front and back.

vdor

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
My Jet Black backing (and the front glass on this one as well as my previous 6 and 6s) does have "microabrasions" as in "scratches" that can only be seen under direct sunlight or dark dull yellow lights (like my bedroom). However they don't bother me as I don't go looking for them or obsess over my phone like I used to back in the day.

I haven't had an actual, plainly visible scratch since my 4/4s days from actual drops damaging the screen. I don't use screen protectors and only use cases on certain occasions.

With that said, back then, damage to the body of the phone bothered me a lot, such as dings on the 4's antenna bands or to the chamfered edges of the 5. I don't think they would now because I actually look forward to the "Millennium Falcon" look these days. But if I had an actual plainly visible and damaging scratch (especially one I could feel) on my 7 Plus, I know that would bother me, even now.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
I baby my phones but have never needed a screen protector on an android device in the past 5 years. I've never had a noticeable scratch on the screen. I already have two small ones on my iPhone. I'm not making this iPhone vs android again, but current android phones are more durable screens. No question.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Unfortunately, I hate this about iPhones and iPads. They get micro scratches so easily and I always have a screen protector on my devices. I went and got a screen protector a few days after I got my iPad Pro, I felt like the Pencil would scratch it otherwise.

Anyway, as for the iPhone, I scratched my iPhone 4S one time and got a small micro scratch, after that, I have always had a screen protector.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I use an edge to edge protector. You can't even tell it's there really. It's easier to replace a $15 protector than a $100+ glass (assuming no AppleCare).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.