Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Got a cosmetic flaw on your OLED iPhone X? Would you:

• be so happy with FaceID and probably not have noticed it anyway!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
for this price should be sapphire glass which is much more resistant for scracthes

gmcgown

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
I am having the same issue. Funny to read all the fanboys responses. Apple support is no help either. The screen scratches way to easily. I have owned many devices by other manufacturers and have never experienced this so quickly. Who wants to slap a screen protector on a gorgeous screen. Normal use will cause some scratches but mine is covered after only a month. What kind of garbage is apple peddling to people? Also face ID only works about 75% of the time. You are not alone this is an issue.

cinder

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2004
Seattle
I also now have 6 micro scratches on my iPhone X screen. One is very noticeable when the screen is off.

I have never used a case.
However, I am extremely OCD about my iPhone and have zero scratches on my 7, and maybe 2-3 total across my previous six iPhones.

It has only been in my pocket or sitting on my desk, typically face up on a clean leather mouse pad.

This is very concerning to me.

Reactions: gmcgown

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Funny to read all the fanboys responses.

I'm not sure where the "fanboy" comment is coming from. Some of us have never experienced a scratch on any iPhone we've owned. Maybe we're luckier than others; I don't know.

I'm not doubting that some folks have scratches their iPhone X, but personally, I don't have this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547

Beiron

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2015
The replacement unit arrived yesterday at Apple Store, Singapore, and the great folks there called me to have my unit recalled and exchanged. Service was terrific. The matter was handled by the apple manager personally. I was blown away. Thanks... I'm following up with other thread starters on their reports on scratches on the iPhone X.

The microscopic grooves on my iPhone X were very localised and could either be caused chemically or by an implement with similar microscopic elements. Regular or normal use should not cause the screen to be so unusually damaged in such a fine manner it can't be felt or easily seen. So, I am glad that Apple engineers have taken an interest with my feedback.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
after about a month my screen is full scratches, mostly visible with screen off or in bright light.
Had all iPhones since the 3GS, never ever experienced the amount of scratches as now only after a month with my X.
My (daily)usage with the X is the same as ever with other iPhones, no difference what so ever.

Reddit and macrumors is full of these same experiences.
The glass on this X is definitely much much more (and quicker) prone to scratches.

''yeah, then use a screenprotector'' is the answer of many people.
I have never ever used a screenprotector with my previous (much cheaper then the X!!) iPhones.
But yeah, it makes sense....just use a screenprotector on the highest prized iPhone in history. smh

alau0115

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
Markham, ON, Canada
It looks like the chemical coating is defective or it is not very durable. In fact, a high quality screen protector (particularly those tempered glass) with high quality oleophobic coating always beat the factory oleophobic coating Apple supplies. It is much smoother.

Agreed what Relentless has said that fine particles can cause marring on the screen over a period of time if they are left for too long and improper wiping method is exercised. To add, if your fingers are dry enough, human skin residues could be left on the screen and they are only visible under strong white light.

Reactions: Beiron

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I have the same issue. Embarrassing for Apple to put out such poor quality.

Except others have not had the results you have had, so clearly it's variable and not consistent across the board just because what you read on a tech forum. I don't think Apple's quality is depending solely based on what you read on here, they sell millions of iPhones a year, which I can attest my display has no scratches and I do not use a screen protector.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I am having the same issue. Funny to read all the fanboys responses. Apple support is no help either. The screen scratches way to easily. I have owned many devices by other manufacturers and have never experienced this so quickly. Who wants to slap a screen protector on a gorgeous screen. Normal use will cause some scratches but mine is covered after only a month. What kind of garbage is apple peddling to people? Also face ID only works about 75% of the time. You are not alone this is an issue.

You're disgruntled about your display scratching, yet for others who have had no issues with their displays, are considered fanboys? That seems rather lopsided of a response. Regardless, my experience is contrary to yours. I don't have any scratches on my display and I do not use a screen Protector.

Also, You're saying your display is covered with scratches only after months use, that would be a direct result of your own doing. The iPhone doesn't scratch by itself. It comes down to how you treat your iPhone and what its subjected in order for it to scratch, which could be a result of what's inside your pocket or debris that you can't physically see.
[doublepost=1512726955][/doublepost]
for this price should be sapphire glass

Not quite. That would cost the consumer a lot more money if Apple did produce a sapphire given the size of iPhone displays, which wouldn't be economical given the price point of where smart phones are today . Even to manufacture a sapphire display that large would be difficult to mass produce, which is a slower and much more time-consuming process.

"Even producing sapphire in the kind of quantities Apple will need to (especially if it opts to use it for iPhone), the cost will still likely be around three to four times that of Gorilla Glass."

https://www.cultofmac.com/267068/everything-wanted-know-sapphire-glass-afraid-ask-qa/amp/

Last edited:
Reactions: Gathomblipoob

ARSC

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
SS scratches easily even if you put and remove the case. This is pretty bad.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It does scratch easily but be ready for the posters who will say there screen is perfect with no scratches and been caseless and dropped 20 times. Lol.

Lol i always take these claims with a grain of salt, Some of these people might be actually using their phones without any case or protector just because they might not care due to several possible reasons but personally as someone that actually owns the phone(i paid 1200$+ for my 256gb X ), i have a crystal clear screen protector on mine and i use the minimal apple leather case on my iPhone X, i don't see myself using it without these 2 accessories. I feel like people that get their phone every year from these installment plans from their carriers and don't actually OWN the phone as they're paying monthly payments essentialy "renting" the phone is the reason why some of these poeple could care less and use their phone caseless

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
[doublepost=1512726955][/doublepost]

Not quite. That would cost the consumer a lot more money if Apple did produce a sapphire given the size of iPhone displays, which wouldn't be economical given the price point of where smart phones are today . Even to manufacture a sapphire display that large would be difficult to mass produce, which is a slower and much more time-consuming process.

"Even producing sapphire in the kind of quantities Apple will need to (especially if it opts to use it for iPhone), the cost will still likely be around three to four times that of Gorilla Glass."

https://www.cultofmac.com/267068/everything-wanted-know-sapphire-glass-afraid-ask-qa/amp/

speculation, source is subjective

gmcgown

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Except others have not had the results you have had, so clearly it's variable and not consistent across the board just because what you read on a tech forum. I don't think Apple's quality is depending solely based on what you read on here, they sell millions of iPhones a year, which I can attest my display has no scratches and I do not use a screen protector.

Read the thread. It's obviously a problem fanboys.

Reactions: Beiron and Geert76

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Read the thread.

I did and my posts are peppered throughout this thread variously with input on all sides. Also, You didn't answer the questions asked of you. However, Being dismissive is not constructive for discussion because you're upset over your own damaged display and the fact Apple won't help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: calderone

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
speculation, source is subjective

There is no speculation about the cost of Sapphire being produced. It's not economical and it will cost the consumer that much more money compared to what smart phones already cost today. Not to mention, sapphire being produced is a longer process and more time consuming.

j800r

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Coventry, West mids, England
I agree with some people here. If you’re that concerned about scratches, get a screen protector. I’m fine without myself.

Bear in mind any major scratches appearing on the device are gonna be caused by you. This display is supposed to be the toughest glass yet so I don’t it would scratch any easier than previous displays.

nikpawlak

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2010
Mooresville NC
I keep my phone in a leather sleeve and it has micro scratches. I notice the first few a week after getting the phone. Now after 2 months of regular use you can see where I swipe to scroll. This hasn't happened with any of my previous phones going back to the original iPhone. Ive never had to use a screen protector before. The most expensive iPhone shouldn't require a screen protector to prevent your bare finger from scratching the glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.