Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Got a cosmetic flaw on your OLED iPhone X? Would you:

• be so happy with FaceID and probably not have noticed it anyway!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shawn-mr

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I have four scratches on my launch day iPhone X. You have to be looking for them to actually see them and they can only really be seen under a bright light but they're there. I have never gotten scratches this early into owning a new iPhone so I'm quite perplexed as to how they're there seeing as I've treated this iPhone exactly the same as I did with any other iPhone.
[doublepost=1511467867][/doublepost]
I have four scratches on my launch day iPhone X. You have to be looking for them to actually see them and they can only really be seen under a bright light but they're there. I have never gotten scratches this early into owning a new iPhone so I'm quite perplexed as to how they're there seeing as I've treated this iPhone exactly the same as I did with any other iPhone.

Should be noted that I got another scratch since yesterday and I've been at home all day so hasn't been coming in and out of trousers today...

Reactions: gmcgown

westcoastech

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2015
So I just got my iPhone X 2 days ago, I got a case the second day and didn't take it out of the house until then. I got my screen protector the same day but like an idiot didn't put it on right away. I had it at work today and cleaned it with a very new microfibre cloth, if there was anything on the cloth it must have been really minor. I looked at my screen at the end of the day and all down the sides of the screen and in the top quarter section has micro scratches all over the screen. I have had many iPhones and honestly I am shocked at how many little scratches are all over the screen. I really think there is something about this new screen that scratches a lot easier.

Just for comparison, my iPhone 6s went a long while with no screen protector and was just retired and in the exact same environment, in my hoodie pocket, on my bed under my pillow, on my desk at work, not really any other place it goes. I agree micro scratches are unavoidable, but im not talking about one or two, there has to be 40-50 tiny little scratches all over my iPhone X within two days....what

Last edited:
Reactions: BrennanWDavis

rcknrog11

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
I've had my iPhone for 6 days now, and it's been in a case the entire time. I just looked down at the screen and it already has a scratch on it. I'm baffled.
I've always had an iPhone, going back to the first one 10 years ago. I haven't dropped it, and it stays in my pocket alone. No keys, nothing else in that pocket. Yet it has a scratch on the screen already. How did this happen? I'm wondering if anyone else is finding their iPhone X screen being prone to scratches.

OK, I'll bite and open myself up to ridicule. This is exactly what happened to my new X within a week. I have had every iPhone ever manufactured, Obviously the 7 plus most recently. I ran the 7 plus naked screen because I began the upgrade program so I did not really own the phone and wanted to experience feel of naked screen. The 7 plus withstood a year of use with not even a little hairline scratch, nothing. The X has lots after a week, its worth noting that I take impeccable care my stuff which certainly includes my iPhone's. To the people felt it necessary to define how scratches happen thank you so much, it was a wonderful learning experience. I'll end with this, I had the phone replaced for free under warranty at Apple store and immediately put a protector on it. The manager at the store didn't seem surprised at all by my request and didn't argue the point. Sorry for the long post and not having proper punctuation, I just wanted to chime in because the screen on the X incurs hairline scratches when naked VERY easily.

dreambiglivesimple

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2017
Correct I'm

Yeah, I guess I was just lucky for ten years. It was finally my time. I wouldn't be posting a thread if it weren't a brand new phone. My behavior hasn't changed, my usage hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed if the phone.

I completely agree with you! The screen is definitely more susceptible to scratches! I have NEVER in 10 years put a screen protector on my iPhones and I’ve NEVER had a problem with scratches, but after less than a week of owning an iPhone X, I just walked out of the Apple store with a new screen protector :(

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The 7 plus scratched really easily too

I have glass tempered on my X for this but also to prevent a shatter hopefully some day

Tgrey

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
Compared S8 and iPhone x at best buy, they are abused daily, iPhone has way more scratches, s8 is nearly perfect. I also see some very deep scratch on iPhone x in apple store, I can feel the cut with my nail, I don't know how people can make it. Apple should use better glass...

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Compared S8 and iPhone x at best buy, they are abused daily, iPhone has way more scratches, s8 is nearly perfect. I also see some very deep scratch on iPhone x in apple store, I can feel the cut with my nail, I don't know how people can make it. Apple should use better glass...

Maybe more people are handling the X in the stores than the S8. Of course, that would be true at the Apple store.

ericlin0122

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
mine has some scratches, I can live with it. if it's bad enough, I will take it back to apple to get a refurbished one, that's why I pay apple care + for. I hate screen protector.

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
i have a small scratch on the screen that is really visible under light but not visible otherwise. I normally would have thought I'd be really upset, but I honestly don't care. The phone still looks like new unless you want to get up close and inspect it with a fine tooth comb. There's no need to keep a phone 'perfect'.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I found one on mine. Kept in a microfiber bag. The oleophobic coating or whatever is getting scratched on these phones is total trash in my opinion and Apple got cheap on this phone as they seem to be doing more and more.

Sold my iMac off yesterday and will be a few other products shortly. This version of iOS and the quality of products lately are just bad.

Reactions: gmcgown

ajmolino

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
I've had my iPhone for 6 days now, and it's been in a case the entire time. I just looked down at the screen and it already has a scratch on it. I'm baffled.
I've always had an iPhone, going back to the first one 10 years ago. I haven't dropped it, and it stays in my pocket alone. No keys, nothing else in that pocket. Yet it has a scratch on the screen already. How did this happen? I'm wondering if anyone else is finding their iPhone X screen being prone to scratches.
[doublepost=1512073023][/doublepost]Same issue here. Had the phone for 2 week. The X is either on my desk or in my suit pocket. When the screen is locked (dark), I can see small scratches all over the face. My 7 after a year of use in the same way had not one screen scratch.

nyccynner

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
[doublepost=1512094722][/doublepost]
I just had the same thing happen and it sucks. I have no idea how it happened either.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The 7 plus scratched really easily too

It did? My point is, I'm not sure how someone can say something easily scratches based on how they treat their device. My 7+ never had scratches on the aluminum or display. But again, I'm more cautious with my devices and no, I don't use screen protectors or cases.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Pmaddocks86

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2017
From reading this thread, it seems people are forgetting the element of circumstance when complaining about the X scratching easier than other iPhones. Just because you went a year on an older phone with none, does not automatically exempt you from getting scratches on your new phone. In that time you clothes have probably gotten older, collected a bit of sand or other particles in your pockets that were not there before.

I get it, you’ve spent 1000+ on your phone and you want it to always remain perfect, but the external factors are always changing even if you think you are babying it the same as before.

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
These phones are coming pre scratched from Apple. That should say how easily they are scratched. And I have a case already. Going to reserve two new ones and start playing the phone lottery again. Too much money for such a wonky bit of quality control. It’s like my coating is failing on the screen and I’ve never seen this before. Hopefully this isn’t something like the MacBook experienced.

Reactions: myrtlebee

BrennanWDavis

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Dallas, TX
UPDATE: I brought my phone in to Apple, explained the situation, and they replaced it for free. Went directly to the Zagg kiosk and had them install an ugly $50 screen protector. I still hate the look of the screen protector, and always will. But at least it's better than having a scratch and a chip.

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
UPDATE: I brought my phone in to Apple, explained the situation, and they replaced it for free. Went directly to the Zagg kiosk and had them install an ugly $50 screen protector. I still hate the look of the screen protector, and always will. But at least it's better than having a scratch and a chip.

so you rather look at an ugly screen protector all day long (which will scratch as fast or even faster than the original screen) just to remove the screen protector in 2 yrs and trade in a phone with a pristine screen when trade-in places don't care at all about "micro-scratches" ????

SilverVito

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
so you rather look at an ugly screen protector all day long (which will scratch as fast or even faster than the original screen) just to remove the screen protector in 2 yrs and trade in a phone with a pristine screen when trade-in places don't care at all about "micro-scratches" ????

Just like buying car seat covers. I don't get it!

Reactions: jimmy_uk

texasstar1981

macrumors regular
May 4, 2015
Just like buying car seat covers. I don't get it!

At least with a pristine interior your car resell value is slightly better vs modestly used seats ...

But NOBODY cares about “micro-scratches” only visible in bright light , at a steep angle and with the display off - when buying a 2yr old used phone

SilverVito

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2016
At least with a pristine interior your car resell value is slightly better vs modestly used seats ...

But NOBODY cares about “micro-scratches” only visible in bright light , at a steep angle and with the display off - when buying a 2yr old used phone
[doublepost=1512159362][/doublepost]Maybe, but as with the phone, you're not getting the full use of the product you have bought. Just looking after it for someone else's benefit.

Personally, the phone, as with the car seat (it was just an example), I would rather use them as they were designed to be used.

thevinegru

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
These threads amaze me.

It’s only glass but it does not scratch itself.

Yes, it's funny how people(you) get so defensive over a company they have no affiliation with. I've had a 6+ with a bumper and nothing over the screen for years. It has exactly ONE scratch. I have an X for a month, also with a bumper, and it already has 20 little scratches and a little gouge.

There's an issue with the glass...

BarrettF77

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2015
I don’t like looking at scratches. That doesn’t serve the next person. Especially when the phone came this way.

I also feel like the more that get returned for this the more Apple will see customers aren’t ok with cheap oleophobic coatings. Or whatever it is they are using.

It’s not like we are dropping them.

Reactions: myrtlebee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.