Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluffalo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2020
Has anyone been able to succesfully use the MacOS Screen Sharing.app, sending a request to another users' AppleID *on a different network* lately?

It used to work for me fine, but the last two times I've tried to use it, the remote user accepts the request, the remote users' screen appears and then I get a connection failure error message. I can still see a "snapshot" of the remote users screen but clicking the close button on the error message then quits the screen sharing app.

I spoke to apple support and the person I got was unfamiliar with the fact that screen sharing is built in to MacOS and wasn't of much help, and kept saying that the documentation says the remote computer has to be on the same network.

It never used to be the case, so I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing what I'm experiencing.

In this instance, both macs are M1, running 13.3.1.

Firewall disabled makes no difference
allowing screen sharing app to have screen recording permissions makes no difference
allow screen sharing is enabled
remote management disabled (from what I understand it's either screen sharing or remote management that can be enabled, not both at the same time)

Is it a bug introduced in Ventura?
Hoping someone can replicate this before I try calling Apple again.
Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.