Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
1. I’m not giving my opinion. I’m stating fact. There are 100’s or 1000’s of pages of research to back this up.

2. It doesn’t require physical damage.

3. It can be an issue with some sealed pieces. Some others might develop the issue over time. Some others might develop the issue with iOS updates. All of that is irrelevant. Once you get the issue, the only way to fix it is to change the device.

4. This is NOT software related. iPad Pro owners have this issue ever since iOS 10. No software update so far has fixed it. In rare cases for some people, sometimes software updates might fix it either temporarily or permanently. But by and large it’s a firmware issue.

Do you understand what firmware is?

It is software for your hardware. And the chances of an iOS update fixing it are slim to none in most cases.

If you still don’t believe me, I wish you luck. I do request you to drop a message here in a year or two regardless of whether you manage to fix the issue by then or not.

The good thing is, if you can prove this issue in front of an Apple genius, by means of a video or otherwise, he is very likely to swap your device no questions asked. They’ve been told to do that without acknowledging that the problem is actually widespread.

But, firmware is still software as you said yourself. And firmware can be updated. A hardware issue to me is something physical such as a screen delaminating etc. My 2017 12.9 iPad Pro is plagued with this issue. I had one replacement about a year into ownership and am now out of warranty and out of luck.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
But, firmware is still software as you said yourself. And firmware can be updated. A hardware issue to me is something physical such as a screen delaminating etc. My 2017 12.9 iPad Pro is plagued with this issue. I had one replacement about a year into ownership and am now out of warranty and out of luck.

Yes. But firmware is almost never updated with iOS updates. By that I mean real firmware. Not modem firmware.

Here is some info for you.

Had the same issue with 2 iPad Pros.

What didn’t fix them?

Multiple DFU, Multiple Reset All Settings, Restore without backup

Crazy things like Removing iCloud Account, Disabling bla bla bla

Etc

What did fix them?

Apple swapped both out for new ones. Restored those two from the same old backup that still had issues on the old iPads. And never had any problem for about 2 years now since then.

Both old iPads were defective. Both new ones from the same backup were fine.

Now tell me. Do you really think this is software?

When I say it’s firmware, it’s a technical high end discussion not meant for the average customer. Because it is possible for a problem to be firmware related and yet Apple may be able to fix it through their updates, no matter how hard they try. That’s always a possibility.

So for all practical purposes, the only solution is to swap the device out.

Reactions: DragonX

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Yes. But firmware is almost never updated with iOS updates. By that I mean real firmware. Not modem firmware.

What didn’t fix them?

Etc

What did fix them?

Apple swapped both out for new ones. Restored those two from the same old backup that still had issues on the old iPads. And never had any problem for about 2 years now since then.

When I say it’s firmware, it’s a technical high end discussion not meant for the average customer. Because it is possible for a problem to be firmware related and yet Apple may be able to fix it through their updates, no matter how hard they try. That’s always a possibility.

Wooooo calm down. Show facts and we'll believe you.
Right now the issue is clearly software and firmware related since it's happening randomly.
I suspect they must have been merging branches that doesn't have the fix.

And just for your information, yes even display/ssd/whatever has firmwares that can be updated.

[this is not a configuration issue that you resolve restoring, resetting and whatever, only a proper firmware update from apple can fix this]

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

What didn’t fix them?

Etc

What did fix them?

I’m in IT (as I’m sure many people on MR are) and I’m not sure that the topic of firmware is a high end discussion. But using different terminology, it’s either a physical issue or a programming issue. You are saying it’s programming essentially. If that’s the case, I would agree.

I‘ve had several instances where I’m typing and I hear the tap sound (I have it turned on) but no letter appears on the screen. Interestingly, my 9.7 iPad Pro has never had an issue.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Wooooo calm down. Show facts and we'll believe you.
Right now the issue is clearly software and firmware related since it's happening randomly.
I suspect they must have been merging branches that doesn't have the fix.

And just for your information, yes even display/ssd/whatever has firmwares that can be updated.

[this is not a configuration issue that you resolve restoring, resetting and whatever, only a proper firmware update from apple can fix this]

I didn’t say it can’t be updated. Apple doesn’t do it. That’s what I meant. They simply don’t care because they care about 99% customers not the 1% with defective stuff.
[automerge]1587642942[/automerge]
I’m in IT (as I’m sure many people on MR are) and I’m not sure that the topic of firmware is a high end discussion. But using different terminology, it’s either a physical issue or a programming issue. You are saying it’s programming essentially. If that’s the case, I would agree.

I‘ve had several instances where I’m typing and I hear the tap sound (I have it turned on) but no letter appears on the screen. Interestingly, my 9.7 iPad Pro has never had an issue.

This is the issue I had. I wrote above what fixed it and what didn’t.

The only solution for you is to take it to Apple.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Then I challenge you to prove me wrong. Let us see you help these people with defective iPads.

I'm not required to do that. Anyone who makes a claim is required to prove it: it's known as "burden of proof".

You asking me to disprove your claim is known as the "burden of proof fallacy".

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I didn't know there was such a thing as "real" vs. "modern" firmware. I'd be curious to know what you mean by this as, as far as I know, firmware is firmware, no matter what it's serving as a medium between and whether it can be updated or not.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I didn't know there was such a thing as "real" vs. "modern" firmware. I'd be curious to know what you mean by this as, as far as I know, firmware is firmware, no matter what it's serving as a medium between and whether it can be updated or not.

I meant modem firmware and all they update because everybody needs it.

They don’t update stuff like corrupted firmware that only affects 1% of devices.
[automerge]1587646742[/automerge]
I'm not required to do that. Anyone who makes a claim is required to prove it: it's known as "burden of proof".

You asking me to disprove your claim is known as the "burden of proof fallacy".

There is proof. You need to open your eyes for that.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Oh. Forget it. T-Online.de just got frozen again when I swiped back from a news to the main site

There are multiple bugs that modern iPhones/iPads may face.

The one I was talking about is a hardware issue.

The one you’re talking about might not be. Because the issue you’re talking about has happened to every single one of my iOS devices since iOS 11, sooner or later.

Apple hardware is buggy like hell. Some of it is hardware, some of it is software, some of it is firmware. Somethings don’t matter. Some might make devices unusable. It’s all luck.

Luckily in your case, not sure, until you describe your issue in detail. But your issue seems different than some others in this thread.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
The one I was talking about is a hardware issue.

Maybe you are talking about some other issue/bug. Please prove this is an hardware issue.
I don't think anyone will believe you because you said you know without providing any evidence to support what you sustain.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Maybe you are talking about some other issue/bug. Please prove this is an hardware issue.
I don't think anyone will believe you because you said you know without providing any evidence to support what you sustain.

I don’t care. Start using Google. Can’t spoon feed everything.
[automerge]1587660409[/automerge]
i won’t share dozens of links. Here’s one. Don’t go by the title. Read the full thread.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I don’t care. Start using Google. Can’t spoon feed everything.
[automerge]1587660409[/automerge]
i won’t share dozens of links. Here’s one. Don’t go by the title. Read the full thread.

I don't think that this is the same issue that we are talking about.
We are talking about it happening specifically when scrolling on certain apps (which for me are Instagram and Apollo) since there is something happening in the background, maybe some animation or some re-render, that blocks the UI responsiveness like it did with iOS12 on EVERY device even on the springboard while opening/closing folders.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I don't think that this is the same issue that we are talking about.
We are talking about it happening specifically when scrolling on certain apps (which for me are Instagram and Apollo) since there is something happening in the background, maybe some animation or some re-render, that blocks the UI responsiveness like it did with iOS12 on EVERY device even on the springboard while opening/closing folders.

The issue you’re talking about isn’t hardware I think. That happens to all iOS devices. The hardware issue is the keyboard issue that also exhibits while scrolling, but randomly in all apps.

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
exactly the beta is better than iPadOS 13.4.1.

Guys just have a look at the following thread. It started 3-4 years ago. Every time the update comes out - since iOS 12!, especially the betas, there are tons of users claiming it solved their problem....but after the final version the same users, also the new users find their devices are experiencing the same touch screen freezing problem again (me included). I've seen it at least 15 times.

I lost hope a year ago after 2nd replacement that had the same problem. All the software updates are accidental. It's a hardware issue for the most people. The only way to fix it is for Apple to fix their manufacturing process. But they never did it.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
Guys just have a look at the following thread. It started 3-4 years ago. Every time the update comes out - since iOS 12!, especially the betas, there are tons of users claiming it solved their problem....but after the final version the same users, also the new users find their devices are experiencing the same touch screen freezing problem again (me included). I've seen it at least 15 times.

I lost hope a year ago after 2nd replacement that had the same problem. All the software updates are accidental. It's a hardware issue for the most people. The only way to fix it is for Apple to fix their manufacturing process. But they never did it.
If it's not happening during the beta phase it's obiovously a software issue. Probably they are merging some branch that has the issue just before the final release (it could also be the one that removes the feedback app), and since they are probably not using final versions inside they never get to experience the bug.

Reactions: 0992672

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Do you understand what firmware is?

It is software for your hardware. And the chances of an iOS update fixing it are slim to none in most cases.

Yes. But firmware is almost never updated with iOS updates. By

The irony being here is that you apparently do not understand what modern firmware is.

The days of firmware being low level stuff like BIOS updates are long past.

iOS updates ARE firmware updates. In the same way most routers run a form of Linux and their firmware updates update the OS and any associated chips.

MacOS updates are invariably split into 2; updates of the OS on the disk, and firmware updates of any requisite chips (although I suspect even that line is getting blurred now as Apple move to further protect and segregate the OS from the user)

With iOS there is no 'disk' to speak off, so it's all basically firmware.

Don't believe me? Goto https://ipsw.me/ where they reference "Download current and previous versions of Apple's iOS, iPadOS, watchOS, tvOS and audioOS firmware and receive notifications when new firmwares are released."

So yeah, you'll forgive me if I decide to ignore your self declared "expert" status.

Reactions: lgjay and seadragon

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
If it's not happening during the beta phase it's obiovously a software issue. Probably they are merging some branch that has the issue just before the final release (it could also be the one that removes the feedback app), and since they are probably not using final versions inside they never get to experience the bug.

I don't mean it's not happening during beta phase. It does happen during iOS beta phase or any other iOS updates. The problem goes away and comes back temporarily. And sometimes it looks like that when you updated it goes away, but no. It comes back again and again no matter the updates.

Dandman911

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2020
This issue is definitely software related.. I bought a new iPhone which worked perfectly and updated to the new iOS 13.4 days later that’s when I noticed the same issue started for me, it’s sporadic in nature and the Input to the touch screen lags for Few seconds and returns to normal.
Yet my old phone that’s not updated and 4 years older doesn’t suffer from this at all.

I researched the net And countless forums etc and it’s not the same issue as the unresponsive screen issues they’ve posted as in theirs fully freeze and requires a phone Reboot to unfreeze.

this doesn’t respond to a hard reset and the hardware in this phone was tested to be fine.
The logic board wouldn’t just break within a few weeks nor would the screen calibration without physical damage being dropped.
the words of an actual qualified phone technician someones who’s opinion actually holds some merit.

Reactions: 0992672

DragonX

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2013
Can it be caused by screen protectors?

Probably for some it could be. But for example I've never used any screen protectors, but still had this issue with several devices, on different versions of iOS. And I had this issue out of the box on one of the iPads, so it's not software related either.

For most folks it's a hardware related issue connected to the touch screen failing to work normally after some time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.