Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
It’s not I’ve loged into all three…lxde session and lxde are the only environments installed so when you log into lxde it gives you the broken desktop that you see in the photo…if you click default session logs you into the lxde xsession with out the modifications to the desktop

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
When you click any session this is what you get I did a fresh install on my iBook and PowerBook using the latest net install just to prove a point

Attachments

• IMG_9100.jpeg
    IMG_9100.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
If you loginto vanilla lxde it is the same desktop that you see in the screenshot above where it’s broken and then the other option is xsession. That brings up the your lxde icon selection with a vanilla lxde panel at the bottom with only your mint icons selected and half the taskbar is missing….then if I switch to lxde mint it shows the mint theme with icons but again still half the screen panel is missing and desktop glitches and icons disappear…

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2023
there’s other threads with people experiencing the same thing but like I said your preseed it makes the base Debian even more none useable because of the added theme and applications that do not open.

Yumiko Noua

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
sorry for the off-topic but, when will be released the sealion v32.4.1 for powerpc 32 linux? thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
Not sure what you are exactly asking, so here are some explanations.

1) I mostly use the default palemoon preferences because it's already fairly well optimized. I just made some sealion specific adjustments to it.

2) I also use a custom hosts file (/etc/hosts) to block ads system-wide along with eMatrix to block unwanted scripts and CSS elements.

3) If you don't use a custom hosts file I recommend uBlockOrigin to block ads.

Both ublock and ematrix are found in the sealion-extras.zip on GitHub.

Hope that answers your question.
Can you provide a copy of your /etc/hosts file? I would like to use it as well.

Yumiko Noua

macrumors regular
May 24, 2022
This weekend. It takes much longer to build for PPC Linux than x86 Linux and intel Mac. My 12 core MacPro can build Sealion in 11 minutes. My powerbook G4 takes 18 hours. My G5 takes 3 hours. Patience grasshopper. ;-)
okay, thanks for the answer!

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands

xeno74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
I had to softlink libffi.so.6 to libffi.so.8. You use an old Debian to compile. Could you please provide details how you build this package? I want to rebuild SeaLion with the right library.
I compiled it on Fedora 28 Server PPC64 with GCC 8.3.1. It needs GCC 7.1 or newer. I have to upgrade GCC because I used GCC 6.4.1 for compiling Arctic Fox 43.0 for Linux PPC64.

SeaLion build instructions: forum.hyperion-entertainment.com

Reactions: Jeroen Diederen

xeno74

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2018
Berlin
I compiled the new SeaLion 32.5.0 for old 32-bit Linux distributions like Void PPC without AltiVec support today.

Download: sealion-32.5.0.linux-powerpc-void-gtk2.tar.bz2

.mozconfig

Code:
export CC="gcc -m32"
export CXX="g++ -m32"
mk_add_options PYTHON=/usr/bin/python2
mk_add_options AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf-2.13

# Set GTK Version to 2 or 3
_GTK_VERSION=2

ac_add_options --target=powerpc-linux-gnu
ac_add_options --host=powerpc-linux-gnu 
ac_add_options --with-system-jpeg 
ac_add_options --enable-application=navigator
ac_add_options --enable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-jxl
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-devtools
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --disable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-gconf 
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-precompiled-startupcache 

export MOZ_TELEMETRY_REPORTING=0
export MOZ_ADDON_SIGNING=0
export MOZ_REQUIRE_SIGNING=0

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I compiled it on Fedora 28 Server PPC64 with GCC 8.3.1. It needs GCC 7.1 or newer. I have to upgrade GCC because I used GCC 6.4.1 for compiling Arctic Fox 43.0 for Linux PPC64.

SeaLion build instructions: forum.hyperion-entertainment.com
“The command "mach" requires Python2.7, which is no longer available on Debian Sid and openSUSE. This means it is no longer possible to build SeaLion on new distributions.

But we could build it on old distributions like Void PPC32 or on Fedora 28 PPC64.”

Thanks for your work xeno74, it is appreciated much. I hope that we can keep on building these packages, as they rely on older stuff. It might be a good idea to have a building system with older software, to be able to keep building. I think my MintPPC live image is of the bullseye period. You can add packages from snapshot.debian.org and make a debian build system instead of the Fedora one. Just an idea.

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
I can also build python2.7 in a sid environment and install it in sid. I also have an iMac G5 with software of the bullseye time on it. This machine was used to produce the live image at the time. It could also be used to build.

Reactions: xeno74

Jeroen Diederen

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2019
The Netherlands
An annoying feature of SeaLion is the fact that I cannot click away the "All files have finished downloading" window. Is there a solution to this apart from killing the process in a terminal ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.