Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Recall her claim to indigenous heritage whilst DNA tests resulted in an ancestry of 1/1024th.

The only identity her testing proved is that she's 100% politician.
But through all her folklore they still lover her in MA.

4tune8chance

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Brisbane, Australia

United States Senator Elizabeth Warren this week penned a letter [PDF] to antitrust officials at the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department, requesting that they investigate "Big Tech's expansion into the automotive industry." Warren specifically called out Google, Apple, and Amazon, saying that the companies are setting themselves up to be a "one-stop shop for automakers," for data collection, cloud storage, analytics, in-car navigation, voice assistants, and autonomous driving collection.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-yellow.jpg

In the letter that was shared by Vox, Warren says that Google, Apple, and Amazon are leveraging their market power in digital app markets, mobile operating systems, and data infrastructure to become "the dominant players in the automotive sphere," which Warren says has "alarming implications for developers, workers, and consumers."

Warren highlights Apple's June 2022 CarPlay announcements, where the company debuted the next-generation CarPlay platform that will "reinvent the car experience" and integrate more deeply with in-vehicle hardware. She also points out that Google has entered into a partnership with Ford that will see Ford using the Android Automotive Operating System, and Amazon is developing autonomous driving systems.

The senator claims that Apple and Google's expansion into cars threatens to spread "anticompetitive mobile app markets practices" to automobiles, citing in-app purchase requirements and the fact that CarPlay and Android Auto apps must be approved by Apple and Google, respectively, before being allowed into vehicles.

Allowing Big Tech into the automotive industry could "stifle a nascent industry" and price developers out of the market.Warren is asking the FTC and the DOJ to use their authority to address concerns as they emerge and "prevent further overreach by Big Tech companies." She says that without "proactive and rigorous oversight," Google, Apple, and Amazon will "bring their anticompetitive, anti-consumer, and anti-labor practices to the automotive sector."

Apple's CarPlay system has been in vehicles since 2014, and it has become ubiquitous, with most major vehicle manufacturers supporting the feature in modern cars. Apple is also working to expand further into automobiles with a full autonomous vehicle, a project that has been in development for many years now. Current rumors suggest that some kind of Apple-branded vehicle could be introduced as soon as 2025.

Article Link: Senator Asks FTC and DOJ for 'Rigorous Oversight' Into Apple, Google, and Amazon's Expansion Into Automobiles
What do you expect, can you imagine the $h1t$how with individual car manufacturers developing their in-house systems. Every time you change brands you have to learn a whole new system. Leave the IT to the professional.

Reactions: buddhistMonkey

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
It’s not about the vehicle, it’s about every Toyota, Honda and Ford having an “Apple or Google dashboard.”
I would love this. Most car companies have horrible software. Some still don't even have touch screens and have these wheels you have to turn with your hands to slowly navigate through clunky, laggy interfaces. Let the software makers do what they do best. And while I wouldn't want to use Android, it's probably preferably over most auto maker software. And I think it's cute that she's concerned about the privacy implications, as if Google isn't tracking every single one of their users in their car already via their Android device.

--

We need younger politicians who understand tech to run these committees on this stuff. I wish that 90% of politicians weren't over age 60 or whatever that statistic is. We should have representatives of different ages, maybe four different voting blocks based on your current age range: 18-33, 34-49, 50-65, 66+

Last edited:
Reactions: buddhistMonkey

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Some still don't even have touch screens and have these wheels you have to turn with your hands to slowly navigate through clunky, laggy interfaces.
Would be interesting if auto makers put F1-style steering wheels in cars. After Lewis Hamilton developed them, the design became pretty ubiquitous.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, big companies surely receive quite a bit of attention from various sides.
I for one support government heavily regulating this massive expansion by apple google amazon into automobiles. Specifically, self-driving. But, I doubt Elizabeth Warren has any semblance of plan in mind as of today yet. Screaming can only go so far you know. :rolleyes:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What's wrong with that? I love having Apple Car play on my Audi. Makes everything easier. I bet you she uses Apple Car play every day too for navigation purposes. Perhaps, she wants all modern cars in 2023 to come with a CD player.

View attachment 2106828

Who is she going to target next? Siri & Alexa?
Naw. It won’t be complete unless it had a record player. You know hipsters, vinyl and all that.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Calm down, Granny. We know the midterms are only six days away. Your asking for rigorous oversight regarding Apple, Google, and Amazon taking over the “entire auto industry” might just be just a hair premature. You should be more focused on oversight into the news and entertainment industries, which are a much more immediate concern.
Look at the bigger picture here. She may have been paid by members of said auto industry, because they don’t want to R&D that new Apple thing.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Isnt she the politician who didnt even seem to know which company owned what apps?

Doesnt inspire confidence in any of her words.

Sick of politicians worldwide interfering in tech where they clearly have no idea or expertise.
Yes we need standards (and the move to USB C is a good example - if only USB C was then set at minimum data transfer rates as well as the plug... hahaha oops they forgot to spec that bit in as well. Shame Apple on going cheap with new iPad on that point. Seems just a bit nasty and poor sportsmanship to half do something).

Next I guess she will be forcing Tesla to make their software available to other car makers or wanting CarPlay and Android in Teslas to give customers choice...

Why is tech suddenly so different to any other product?
We dont make KFC sell Mac burgers.
Customers choose the product and where to buy it for other items. Why is tech "special"?
Or are governments worried tech companies know more about their customers than the government does? ;)

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I would pay 5k if I could have CarPlay in my Tesla. The Tesla interface is truly miserable compared to others.

So while at it, go after Tesla for not allowing other OSes in their car. /s
And go after Tesla for not giving other car drivers the ability to install Tesla software in other cars if they desire.
You might not like (and I agree there are bits I would change in our Model 3 as well) but why should we (or Tesla) not service everyone? Warren wants a level playing field... maybe people everywhere should start to level the playing field on politicians they elect and not just wealthy, entitled, sponsored ones? ;)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
And go after Tesla for not giving other car drivers the ability to install Tesla software in other cars if they desire.
You might not like (and I agree there are bits I would change in our Model 3 as well) but why should we (or Tesla) not service everyone? Warren wants a level playing field... maybe people everywhere should start to level the playing field on politicians they elect and not just wealthy, entitled, sponsored ones? ;)
I want the Lucid Air UI in the Tesla. Come on Mrs. Warren, make it happen! Lickety Split!

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
It’s not about the vehicle, it’s about every Toyota, Honda and Ford having an “Apple or Google dashboard.”
And yet GM, Ford, and Stellantis, not to mention Mercedes, BMW, VW-Porsche et Al, Toyota, Honda, Tesla, Hyundai, Kia, etc. all have their own software, databases, etc. So where, pray tell, is this “market power” of which she speaks?

Does this same scrutiny apply to all the other automotive parts and components that are widely sold to all the manufacturers (some private labeled, some not), engines, batteries, braking systems, tires, computer chips, and so much more.

This is nonsense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.