Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
That's funny, she's fighting the last war. None of those players are big in the auto space, except for Amazon/AWS and that's mainly because they're the backend.

Senators...if they actually had a clue they'd be dangerous.

Reactions: NetMage

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
That's not what is being proposed. There is no US government platform nor do they want to create one. A few private companies can flourish but can't be allowed to lock down an entire industry, control it and charge whatever they want.

Go back to reading the Fountainhead.
Why they need spend so much time/energy to debate and find a lot excuse to convince other people.

Let the government create one new and apply to all. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: AlexMac89

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
Will someone please tell Senator Warren that she should focus on anti-competitive behavior from Amazon and Facebook, and leave Apple alone? I for one WANT Apple creating my dashboard interface.
No one is forcing anyone to use Amazon, Facebook, or Apple, and Google for that matter. (I quit facebook six years ago, so problem solved. There are other online stores to buy things from and there are other search engines people can use.) If people don't like their business practices they can simply stop using their products and services. That is the free market solution to this problem. IMO it is unfortunate we have become so dependent on government to do everything for us. Another example is the requirement of grocery stores to charge for plastic bags that CA voters passed into law a few years ago. I started using re-usable cloth bags years before this law went into effect, no government mandate necessary.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
To all those who think the government should stay out of how how tech companies leverage their platforms I encourage you to think ahead about the possibilities. In addition to some amazing advancements, an unregulated market can lead to pretty awful things like needing to pay a subscription to use the air conditioning in a car you've purchased or even to start it.

This concept is starting in other areas and it's not something I personally want to see spreading.

This objectivist/libertarian nonsense only works in Ayn Rand books.

Whilst it's not "needing to" and it's not "air conditioning", in the UK, you can rent the heated seats in your BMW as an alternative to paying upfront

From £15/month with discounts for longer rentals... https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/shop/ls/dp/Seat_Heating_SFA_gb

Or how about a heated steering wheel heating, from £10/month

Activated remotely once you've used its shopping cart and they've confirmed the contract

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
How about asking the car industry to have a minimal of 40-50 miles a gallon for all their stuff vs the still standard 20-35 if you are lucky.

Edit: why the dislikes/anger?

Back in 2018/3019 my old car had a recall on it. I was given a 2018 Toyota Camry. A four cylinder full size car getting 45 gpm on the highway. My current car is a midsized crossover getting ~25 gpm.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2022
I don’t think it will be Tim Cook driving the Apple Car. We’re going to have to rely on Siri to do the whole driving. 😂
Yeah that would be hilarious:

Siri: ‘One sec..’, ‘On it, still working, something is taking too long here…’ ‘Sorry, it seems that you have to take a bus to get to your destination’

Tim: 🤯

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
1. Economy in the tank.

2. Hyperinflation.

3. Central bank induced worldwide recession.

4. Russia wants to start World War III.

So yeah, let's look at things like CarPlay and talk about pregnant men! That's a surefire winner in a few days at the ballot box!!!

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Sounds like its not so much carplay/androidwhatever but the concern that amazon/google/apple will sell the driving behavior data. Prob not a bad line of questions but I don't like the way its worded and doubt the auto manufacturers with their own solutions would not be similarly tainted.
They probably have that data already from phone map apps.

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
If the entire dash is CarPlay, you will not have the freedom to install any app that Apple has not approved. People who buy BMWs and Hondas and Fords are not deciding to live in the walled garden like we do when we buy iPhones. I think that is the point.
How is this really any difference than what the situation was when Verizon chose what apps I could install on my flip phone. No system created by an auto manufacturer will allow anything to be installed; someone will always be the gatekeeper. And especially in the car, the need for software control and isolation will be critical. The question then becomes, "who should control what can be installed?"

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
This idiot knows NOTHING about tech not anything else. She needs to go sit in a corner.

Not just tech. She wants to control everyone and everything everywhere. She thinks she knows better than every individual does to make a choice for themselves. She needs to stay out of the way.

Her motto seems to be: You are too stupid to decide something for yourself, but you can vote for me to do it. Authoritarian.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I definitely have the capacity to get where Warren is coming from. As more and more things require operating systems, those who have spent years developing ecosystems around their OSes are poised, very intentionally so, to prove incredibly necessary/powerful in whatever segment they step into. And with great power comes the potential for great corruption. I get it. We need informed, thoughtful, relevant checks and balances to try and create an environment where abuse is not tolerated and, when uncovered, adequately addressed. However, I feel there are far more pressing issues at the moment, in the U.S., to tackle than electric cars OSes.

That said, I will never have any interest in a Meta car, or a Prime car. Ever. As a conscientious, intentional and unapologetic 30-yr supporter of the benefits a Walled Garden approach affords, I have zero issue with an Apple car - except, likely, the price tag. 😜

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
The letter Senator Warren wrote should definitely increase her popularity among must voters and will be remembered comes election day

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
This is even worst answer.

The best solutions for car will be…all dash must use USA government one….and the dash is analog and nothing digital

Problems solved.

It is like how government control the car plat number

I have checked out a few new vehicles lately and digital dashes are really well done in some cases.
Analog needs to go.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Myopic reactions, ad hominem attacks, false equivalence, and reductio ad absurdum arguments reveal the ignorance and cognitive bias of many MR members.

Companies that collect data on consumers should be held accountable for their business practices, especially when that data is collected without transparency and/or explicit permission by those affected.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage and deific

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
No one is forcing anyone to use Amazon, Facebook, or Apple, and Google for that matter. (I quit facebook six years ago, so problem solved. There are other online stores to buy things from and there are other search engines people can use.) If people don't like their business practices they can simply stop using their products and services. That is the free market solution to this problem. IMO it is unfortunate we have become so dependent on government to do everything for us. Another example is the requirement of grocery stores to charge for plastic bags that CA voters passed into law a few years ago. I started using re-usable cloth bags years before this law went into effect, no government mandate necessary.

Actually you are being "forced".

To perform my job, keep in touch with family, friends, etc., to keep in contact with financials, medicine, etc., you are pretty limited to MS, Apple, or Google. Add a carrier in there for many.

Pick one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.