Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
What exactly is wrong with these companies working with automakers (or designing their own cars) and integrating what we already use?

I say widen the ecosystem. If I’m allowing Apple or Google to track where I’m going or what I’m searching for anyway, why not have software working fluently all the way across the board (or dashboard).

Shoot, Apple can build my dash with cellular included. I can get in, have all songs, phone numbers and saved data in my car. Face ID to unlock and let’s go. Leave the phone at home.

Orange Bat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2021
If anyone here has ever used a manufacture’s attempt at allowing a phone to connect to a car they know how bad the experience can be. Why not allow companies that have experience and know how to do it right take on the task? My 2014 Toyota’s phone connection never worked right and we gave up on it pretty quickly. Let’s not puncture the balloon before it’s blown up.

Someyoungguy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2012
I just want to have nice things. Is it anti-completive to be innovative and provide solutions that people want?
If the entire dash is CarPlay, you will not have the freedom to install any app that Apple has not approved. People who buy BMWs and Hondas and Fords are not deciding to live in the walled garden like we do when we buy iPhones. I think that is the point.

BrownyQ

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2021
USA
The car makers can also just... step their game up when it comes to the UI in their vehicles?

But why bother putting in that effort when Apple and Google already have a head start, are quicker to update and adapt, and are more than willing to cut them in on the business as a marketable selling point?

Until I find a vehicle with an interface that trumps CarPlay, I'd prefer to use CarPlay, and lacking such a feature is an immediate dealbreaker.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
If the entire dash is CarPlay, you will not have the freedom to install any app that Apple has not approved.

I’d surely want Apple to approve all apps because the last thing I’d want to do is install an app from a “rogue” App Store and then all the sudden my car veers into oncoming traffic. So yeah, Apple please verify and approve EVERYTHING.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
This is very welcome. It won't solve anything, but at least it shines a bright light on where things are headed.

• Disagree
Reactions: NetMage

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
If the entire dash is CarPlay, you will not have the freedom to install any app that Apple has not approved. People who buy BMWs and Hondas and Fords are not deciding to live in the walled garden like we do when we buy iPhones. I think that is the point.
People who buy BMWs and Hondas and Fords can continue to use the native dash systems then.
Senator needs to stay in her lane (pun intended).

Cancelled
Jul 18, 2022
If it’s Apple, Google or Amazon working with manufacturers, who says that the entire dash only has to be CarPlay/Android/Alexa?

I would think they’d offer the same thing they do with the “CarPlay/Android/Alexa compatible” dashes and stereos we already have? If you don’t like the interface, switch it to manufacturer’s.

But if Apple makes a car and you plan on buying it, you pretty much know what you’re getting into software wise. What apps will be allowed and so forth. I think them only allowing certain apps is needed. People are distracted enough.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
There will never be a dash that only allows CarPlay. It'll just be an option if you want to plug in your iPhone, if you want it. Otherwise it'll just display the manufactures default dashboard, and you can easily install any app from the Ford AppStore you want :).

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Yet no mention of Tesla that runs proprietary software makes you purchase services from them even if you already own them and software locks features.
If you don't like that, you go buy another car. If Apple, Google, Amazon take over the entire auto industry, just like with cell phones, you will have no real choice.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

wood1208

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2015
Senator, instead of wasting time to look into Apple,Google,etc; you should investigate and shutdown Tik-Tok who has tools built by Chinese government for surveillance and tiktok is collecting and passing young Americans info/data to Chinese government.

djphat2000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2012
It’s not about the vehicle, it’s about every Toyota, Honda and Ford having an “Apple or Google dashboard.”
So we go from every Toyota, Honda, and Ford having a crap system that they all suck at making. To having 2 that are at least somewhat customizable?
Almost every infotainment system these cars have today SUCK. We are far away from the days when we could easily replace a system for an Alpine or Pioneer (insert your favorite brand here) etc. Everything is integrated now. And you don't get to choose either. Well, you get to pick if you want Navigation or not. Which in turn causes a $2k upsell on the next level up radio. If not more.

I'm not saying that allowing Apple or Google exclusive access to this will be the answer. However, it sucks today. It has sucked for some time. We need another option.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
I’d surely want Apple to approve all apps because the last thing I’d want to do is install an app from a “rogue” App Store and then all the sudden my car veers into oncoming traffic. So yeah, Apple please verify and approve EVERYTHING.
Or I enter the freeway and suddenly my car dies because it needs to reboot and I forgot my Apple ID. 😫

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
So tech companies should stay out of vehicles and leave the dash to the auto manufacturers? Yeah, that's what we need, more of the abomination that is Ford Sync. :rolleyes:

If you really want to help consumers, Senator Warren, how about passing federal legislation that prevents states from forcing automakers to use the antiquated dealer (middleman) system of selling vehicles and finally letting automakers sell direct to consumers via their websites?

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Senator, instead of wasting time to look into Apple,Google,etc; you should investigate and shutdown Tik-Tok who has tools built by Chinese government for surveillance and tiktok is collecting and passing young Americans info/data to Chinese government.
Someone tried doing just that a couple years ago but was shouted down for racism.

Can't recall his name atm but I do remember he was pretty high up on the leadership of America chain..

Reactions: icanhazmac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.