Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
If you don't like that, you go buy another car. If Apple, Google, Amazon take over the entire auto industry, just like with cell phones, you will have no real choice.
You always have a choice. Like the choice of purchasing a basic flip phone that includes physical buttons. I feel like your argument is saying "I want iOS and Android features without having to use iOS or Android."

chouseworth

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2012
Wake Forest, NC
Calm down, Granny. We know the midterms are only six days away. Your asking for rigorous oversight regarding Apple, Google, and Amazon taking over the “entire auto industry” might just be just a hair premature. You should be more focused on oversight into the news and entertainment industries, which are a much more immediate concern.

Last edited:
Reactions: NetMage

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Will someone please tell Senator Warren that she should focus on anti-competitive behavior from Amazon and Facebook, and leave Apple alone? I for one WANT Apple creating my dashboard interface.

(Moderators removed the first line in which I gave you some insight about yourself).

Just remember that before announcing the ad privacy measures the sweet and innocent Apple met with Facebook for a multibillion dollar deal, which clearly Facebook did not accept. And Amazon? Well just last week there were news on a current anticompetitive case alongside Apple. On the same note Apple takes a huge amount of money from Google to make it the default web browser. Wake up man.

Last edited:

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021

United States Senator Elizabeth Warren this week penned a letter [PDF] to antitrust officials at the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department, requesting that they investigate "Big Tech's expansion into the automotive industry." Warren specifically called out Google, Apple, and Amazon, saying that the companies are setting themselves up to be a "one-stop shop for automakers," for data collection, cloud storage, analytics, in-car navigation, voice assistants, and autonomous driving collection.

Apple-car-wheel-icon-feature-yellow.jpg

In the letter that was shared by Vox, Warren says that Google, Apple, and Amazon are leveraging their market power in digital app markets, mobile operating systems, and data infrastructure to become "the dominant players in the automotive sphere," which Warren says has "alarming implications for developers, workers, and consumers."

Warren highlights Apple's June 2022 CarPlay announcements, where the company debuted the next-generation CarPlay platform that will "reinvent the car experience" and integrate more deeply with in-vehicle hardware. She also points out that Google has entered into a partnership with Ford that will see Ford using the Android Automotive Operating System, and Amazon is developing autonomous driving systems.

The senator claims that Apple and Google's expansion into cars threatens to spread "anticompetitive mobile app markets practices" to automobiles, citing in-app purchase requirements and the fact that CarPlay and Android Auto apps must be approved by Apple and Google, respectively, before being allowed into vehicles.

Allowing Big Tech into the automotive industry could "stifle a nascent industry" and price developers out of the market.Warren is asking the FTC and the DOJ to use their authority to address concerns as they emerge and "prevent further overreach by Big Tech companies." She says that without "proactive and rigorous oversight," Google, Apple, and Amazon will "bring their anticompetitive, anti-consumer, and anti-labor practices to the automotive sector."

Apple's CarPlay system has been in vehicles since 2014, and it has become ubiquitous, with most major vehicle manufacturers supporting the feature in modern cars. Apple is also working to expand further into automobiles with a full autonomous vehicle, a project that has been in development for many years now. Current rumors suggest that some kind of Apple-branded vehicle could be introduced as soon as 2025.

Article Link: Senator Asks FTC and DOJ for 'Rigorous Oversight' Into Apple, Google, and Amazon's Expansion Into Automobiles
Lets ban all apple google or tesla car play

And use Huawei Car play. Problems solved.

• Haha
Reactions: PlayUltimate

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
I don't have an issue with this due to the cars themselves being produced by another company. A Toyota Corolla or a Chevy Silverado are not Apple products like an iPhone so Apple's level of control/influence warrants the oversight.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Sounds like its not so much carplay/androidwhatever but the concern that amazon/google/apple will sell the driving behavior data. Prob not a bad line of questions but I don't like the way its worded and doubt the auto manufacturers with their own solutions would not be similarly tainted.
Reasonable comment that people don’t want to recognize.

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
When I read the first political comment, I knew I would use up all my daily downvotes. Jesus, let a politician be concerned for once! Usually Americans don't notice anti-competitive behavior until they live in a capitalist dystopia.
Easy,

Let’s set a rules and make the USA government the only decision maker for any car play of a car selling in USA.
And the government can change their decision whatever & whenever they want.

Anti-trust problems solved.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I think Sen Warren's thoughts are a bit over the top however it is a decent point.
The ability to link my phone/device to my vehicle is a good thing.
To have that company become my dash or the software controlling my vehicle is another.

Something for the "auto makers develop ..." posters, one of the most common questions buyers have is "Will this use ..." for their new car/truck/suv.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage and deific

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
To all those who think the government should stay out of how how tech companies leverage their platforms I encourage you to think ahead about the possibilities. In addition to some amazing advancements, an unregulated market can lead to pretty awful things like needing to pay a subscription to use the air conditioning in a car you've purchased or even to start it.

This concept is starting in other areas and it's not something I personally want to see spreading.

This objectivist/libertarian nonsense only works in Ayn Rand books.

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
I think Sen Warren's thoughts are a bit over the top however it is a decent point.
The ability to link my phone/device to my vehicle is a good thing.
To have that company become my dash or the software controlling my vehicle is another.

Something for the "auto makers develop ..." posters, one of the most common questions buyers have is "Will this use ..." for their new car/truck/suv.
Your logic fail. Buyer ask because they use that particular OS phone.

Not because the company controlling your dash =,=

• Haha
Reactions: I7guy and dk001

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
To all those who think the government should stay out of how how tech companies leverage their platforms I encourage you to think ahead about the possibilities. In addition to some amazing advancements, an unregulated market can lead to pretty awful things like needing to pay a subscription to use the air conditioning in a car you've purchased or even to start it.

This concept is starting in other areas and it's not something I personally want to see spreading.

This objectivist/libertarian nonsense only works in Ayn Rand books.
This is even worst answer.

The best solutions for car will be…all dash must use USA government one….and the dash is analog and nothing digital

Problems solved.

It is like how government control the car plat number

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
You always have a choice. Like the choice of purchasing a basic flip phone that includes physical buttons. I feel like your argument is saying "I want iOS and Android features without having to use iOS or Android."
No, that's not it. Once they embed themselves into the auto market, you won't be able to buy a car whose infotainment doesn't run on Android, Alexa, or CarPlay. Maybe Tesla may be the only alternative.

Xiaojohn

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2021
No, that's not it. Once they embed themselves into the auto market, you won't be able to buy a car whose infotainment doesn't run on Android, Alexa, or CarPlay. Maybe Tesla may be the only alternative.
Ask goverment to control that dash. No need discussed. It is something like the milleage calculator in the car. Lock key by government.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Car manufacturers are not forced to put CarPlay, etc, on their dashboards. They can develop their own technologies as well. It's not like Ford, Chevy, Toyota, Hyundai are mom and pop shops.
In this environment of incessant cost "efficiency" nobody builds their own anything if they can source it for cheap from someone else.

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
So we go from every Toyota, Honda, and Ford having a crap system that they all suck at making. To having 2 that are at least somewhat customizable?
Almost every infotainment system these cars have today SUCK. We are far away from the days when we could easily replace a system for an Alpine or Pioneer (insert your favorite brand here) etc. Everything is integrated now. And you don't get to choose either. Well, you get to pick if you want Navigation or not. Which in turn causes a $2k upsell on the next level up radio. If not more.

I'm not saying that allowing Apple or Google exclusive access to this will be the answer. However, it sucks today. It has sucked for some time. We need another option.
Maybe go spend some time on the Volvo forums. Most prefer Volvo Sensus in their old XC60 to the Android system in their new one.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is even worst answer.

The best solutions for car will be…all dash must use USA government one….and the dash is analog and nothing digital

Problems solved.

It is like how government control the car plat number
That's not what is being proposed. There is no US government platform nor do they want to create one. A few private companies can flourish but can't be allowed to lock down an entire industry, control it and charge whatever they want.

Go back to reading the Fountainhead.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage and dk001
Take your time guys, Apple and others are moving so slow your children will be the one enforcing this oversight thing.
Agreed!

I figured out why...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.