Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just got a stainless (open box) series 7 Apple Watch from Amazon during their sale. Went on my first bike ride with it today and there seems to be a much bigger discrepancy between what the trail markers (and my previous series 3) indicate versus what this series 7 does.

The trail is nine miles (according to the markers) and my series 3 would usually give read right around 8.7-8.8, which I was happy with. This series 7 was showing well under 8... did that trail three times for a total of just under 22 miles.

Is there some calibration step I am missing? I never did anything special with the series 3. Both are paired with an iPhone 11 (same device). I have location services and health tracking all enabled. Part of me is wondering if this is why it was returned? I can understand not being dead accurate, but we are talking about around a 15% discrepancy here.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Just got a stainless (open box) series 7 Apple Watch from Amazon during their sale. Went on my first bike ride with it today and there seems to be a much bigger discrepancy between what the trail markers (and my previous series 3) indicate versus what this series 7 does.

The trail is nine miles (according to the markers) and my series 3 would usually give read right around 8.7-8.8, which I was happy with. This series 7 was showing well under 8... did that trail three times for a total of just under 22 miles.

Is there some calibration step I am missing? I never did anything special with the series 3. Both are paired with an iPhone 11 (same device). I have location services and health tracking all enabled. Part of me is wondering if this is why it was returned? I can understand not being dead accurate, but we are talking about around a 15% discrepancy here.
there is this:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy​

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

are you using the apple workout app? in the Health app, if memory serves right, you can look at the datapoints for your workout, check that to ensure that it actually showing the data from your watch.

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
there is this:

Calibrating your Apple Watch for improved Workout and Activity accuracy​

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

are you using the apple workout app? in the Health app, if memory serves right, you can look at the datapoints for your workout, check that to ensure that it actually showing the data from your watch.
I'm using the Apple workout app, yes. I actually read that support thread before posting here. I seem to have ticked all the necessary boxes on that write up.

I'll have to check the health app data points. I've never done that before.

Edit: are you referencing the little map with the outline of your oath? That seems to be accurate for todays ride (as well as others)

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I'm using the Apple workout app, yes. I actually read that support thread before posting here. I seem to have ticked all the necessary boxes on that write up.

I'll have to check the health app data points. I've never done that before.

Edit: are you referencing the little map with the outline of your oath? That seems to be accurate for todays ride (as well as others)
No, in the health app, go to cycling, your workout and then show all data…and in there it shows data source.

Also while there check the data sources and the order in which they are listed… can’t remember exactly but your newest watch should be on top of the list

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Could you bring it to apple store with maybe some screenshots and maps to give you some proofs?
that's an option. Just wanted to troubleshoot before I went down that route. My wife works retail and people bring things in for all sorts of stupid things and I'm trying not to be that guy. 🤣

Reactions: fwmireault

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
No, in the health app, go to cycling, your workout and then show all data…and in there it shows data source.

Also while there check the data sources and the order in which they are listed… can’t remember exactly but your newest watch should be on top of the list
Ah, that's a screen I've never used before. I see it takes (records) multiple data points per minute. I'm not sure what to do with it though 😅.

The most recent data points were generated by the newest Apple Watch and the rest are my series 3.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
at least now you have all the right data points should you decide to contact Apple.
You might want to go through un-pair/re-pair and test it again. Support might ask you to do that anyway…

Befor there was AW I used an app on my phone to track my rides, MapMyRide but of course there are plenty others, and I certainly noticed differences between Watch and phone but couldn’t be bothered with those. You might try one and see what the delta is between phone and watch

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
at least now you have all the right data points should you decide to contact Apple.
You might want to go through un-pair/re-pair and test it again. Support might ask you to do that anyway…

Befor there was AW I used an app on my phone to track my rides, MapMyRide but of course there are plenty others, and I certainly noticed differences between Watch and phone but couldn’t be bothered with those. You might try one and see what the delta is between phone and watch
Appreciate the advice. Now that you mention it, I recall trying map my ride years ago too.

Reactions: jz0309

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
FWIW, I returned a S7 that was making horrendous tracks and WAY inaccurate distances while swimming (MySwimPro uploaded to Strava). One time it showed that I swam 3000 yards when it was really about 760 yards. The replacement watch has been perfect with zero issues.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
FWIW, I returned a S7 that was making horrendous tracks and WAY inaccurate distances while swimming (MySwimPro uploaded to Strava). One time it showed that I swam 3000 yards when it was really about 760 yards. The replacement watch has been perfect with zero issues.
does that app use GPS for swimming? I kinda doubt it but could be wrong ... my guess would be the gyroscope for arm strokes ... but you should be able with the method I mention above (Health app) to find out

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
does that app use GPS for swimming? I kinda doubt it but could be wrong ... my guess would be the gyroscope for arm strokes ... but you should be able with the method I mention above (Health app) to find out
MySwimPro (aka Apple Watch App of The Year 2016 and 2020) uses GPS when open water swimming. Here’s a screenshot from Strava mobile app of my usual 1/2 mile swim along the buoy line:

(Defective watch with bad GPS)

F770C4FB-8B71-4BA6-BA5D-67DED773D0EC.jpeg

Same swim with replacement watch:

F7D91B75-142E-40D5-9BB0-C300A78C764D.jpeg

Another thing I noticed is that the GPS signal strength indicator would bounce all over the place on the defective watch while on the beach with no obstructions, whereas now it quickly goes to green and stays there.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I appreciate the input. Seeing this had me decided on just setting up a genius bar appointment, so took it in to Apple. Long story short they swapped it out; all they needed to see was the data points, so I appreciate you helping me with how to even find them @jz0309 . I'll be going on a cycle again tomorrow morning, so that will be my first test with the new watch.

As an aside, I only just now realized that the included charger was USB-A. The previous buyer must have swapped their old charger for the C variant this was supposed to come with. Was a tad bummed, but contacted Amazon and they quickly offered a $30 refund, so that's nice. Now I need to decide if I buy the USB C cable or just enjoy the additional discount.

Anyway, will try to remember to report back here tomorrow with how the replacement watch does.

Reactions: Snide and jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I appreciate the input. Seeing this had me decided on just setting up a genius bar appointment, so took it in to Apple. Long story short they swapped it out; all they needed to see was the data points, so I appreciate you helping me with how to even find them @jz0309 . I'll be going on a cycle again tomorrow morning, so that will be my first test with the new watch.

As an aside, I only just now realized that the included charger was USB-A. The previous buyer must have swapped their old charger for the C variant this was supposed to come with. Was a tad bummed, but contacted Amazon and they quickly offered a $30 refund, so that's nice. Now I need to decide if I buy the USB C cable or just enjoy the additional discount.

Anyway, will try to remember to report back here tomorrow with how the replacement watch does.
So Apple replaced your watch that you had gotten as an open box from Amazon? On the fly in the store? Did they give you a new box, sealed or just the watch? Just curious

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So Apple replaced your watch that you had gotten as an open box from Amazon? On the fly in the store? Did they give you a new box, sealed or just the watch? Just curious
Yes, they replaced it at the store. They gave me just the watch, though they pulled it from what looked to be a new retail box, though I didn't see them break the seals (in fairness I was there with my eight and four year old so I wasn't hyper focused on what the rep was doing, but I guess there's no plastic wrap anymore so it could've been brand new? o_O). I did check the warranty with the newer serial, and that didn't change, so whatever they did on their end transferred the remaining warranty, March 2023.

Reactions: jz0309

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yes, they replaced it at the store. They gave me just the watch, though they pulled it from what looked to be a new retail box, though I didn't see them break the seals (in fairness I was there with my eight and four year old so I wasn't hyper focused on what the rep was doing, but I guess there's no plastic wrap anymore so it could've been brand new? o_O). I did check the warranty with the newer serial, and that didn't change, so whatever they did on their end transferred the remaining warranty, March 2023.
I assume it was brand new as they don't stock refurb ones in stores to the best of my knowledge. Good customer Service by Apple.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Original poster
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Replacement watch is tracking almost exactly like the series 3 I had. Did 27 miles this morning and logged 26.67 with the watch. I'm pleased enough with that!

Thanks for everyone's input. And, of course, thanks to Apple for the excellent and speedy customer service!

Reactions: ufomism and jz0309

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
My series 7 is also reporting way off measurements in open water swimming.

I covered more than 2 kilometers along the coast and the Workout app measured barely 1. I did the same distance running near the water and it measured 2.4 km.

Should I get it replaced?

parseckadet

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Denver, CO
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have your iPhone with you during a workout it will use that for GPS instead of the watch to save battery on the watch. If you want to be certain that you're not using your phone's location you need to either leave it behind, or turn off bluetooth in the settings app (doing it from control center isn't enough). And you need to think back to your rides with the series 3. Did you have your phone during those?

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
My series 7 is also reporting way off measurements in open water swimming.

I covered more than 2 kilometers along the coast and the Workout app measured barely 1. I did the same distance running near the water and it measured 2.4 km.

Should I get it replaced?
I would try the free MySwimPro app, as it has a GPS signal indicator - wait it’ll it’s green before starting swim. With the built-in Workout app or Strava, etc, there’s no way to tell how well the watch has locked onto satellites. if you still get poor measurements with good (ie conformed) GPS reception, I would definitely replace the watch.

Reactions: osplo

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have your iPhone with you during a workout it will use that for GPS instead of the watch to save battery on the watch. If you want to be certain that you're not using your phone's location you need to either leave it behind, or turn off bluetooth in the settings app (doing it from control center isn't enough). And you need to think back to your rides with the series 3. Did you have your phone during those?

No, I did not have the iphone with me while swimming, and neither had the iPhone while running across the shore.

osplo

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
I would try the free MySwimPro app, as it has a GPS signal indicator - wait it’ll it’s green before starting swim. With the built-in Workout app or Strava, etc, there’s no way to tell how well the watch has locked onto satellites. if you still get poor measurements with good (ie conformed) GPS reception, I would definitely replace the watch.

I may try it but I don't see why the GPS could not be engaged during swims in open water and always in any other workout. Well, I can think of reasons, as the watch will be submerged (a bit) during strokes. But minimally.

It works well with pool swimming, but I think that it is not using the GPS as it requires you to indicate the length of the pool.

Frankly, I don't want to use another app. But I will try the one you mentioned just to see the results. But even if it works with that one I am not happy about it.

Does anyone here use the Apple workout app for open sea swimming? Does it work properly?

Monkswhiskers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2018
I may try it but I don't see why the GPS could not be engaged during swims in open water and always in any other workout. Well, I can think of reasons, as the watch will be submerged (a bit) during strokes. But minimally.

It works well with pool swimming, but I think that it is not using the GPS as it requires you to indicate the length of the pool.

Frankly, I don't want to use another app. But I will try the one you mentioned just to see the results. But even if it works with that one I am not happy about it.

Does anyone here use the Apple workout app for open sea swimming? Does it work properly?
I have nothing but stellar results open water sea swimming. This was not always the case, in previous software versions I would start the Watch, go in and sometimes the distance would jump to a large distance before I had even started (eg. 0.5mi). This would take a few stop/start goes to rectify, but of a pita once in the water (especially if cold conditions).
I always turn Bluetooth off in settings on the watch these days just in case.

Snide

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
I would try the free MySwimPro app, as it has a GPS signal indicator. With built in app or Stava, there’s no way to tell how well the watch has locked onto satellites. if you still get poor measurements with good (ie conformed) GPS reception, I would definitely replace the watch.

I think you missed my point, which is that you want to ensure that you have a SOLID GPS LOCK BEFORE YOU START. This is also why DC Rainmaker waits 15 seconds after starting recording to begin his swims. Another app, MotionX-GPS also has an indicator to show when it has a GPS lock.

Having a solid GPS lock is particularly important before swimming, since the watch is only getting a brief signal during the recovery part of the freestyle stroke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.