Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hey guys,

I'm sorry to be making a thread about this, but I spent all day searching for answers and I couldn't find any help.

I need to download many .rar files to my Windows 10 PC. My big fear is that these .rar files will contain some malware/spyware/malicious software and my Windows 10 PC will be infected. How can I take safety measures and check that these .rar files are safe before I open them? ?

My Mac needs to be repaired so I only have access to Windows 10 computers :(

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited:

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
You want to use WinRAR (or WinZip or 7-Zip) to open the archives. Also make sure to have an anti-virus program. Any malware should be automatically quarantined / deleted after the extraction of your files. Anti-Virus software can also detect viruses hiding in archives before you decide to open / extract the archive.

Reactions: iMi

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
You want to use WinRAR (or WinZip or 7-Zip) to open the archives. Also make sure to have an anti-virus program. Any malware should be automatically quarantined / deleted after the extraction of your files. Anti-Virus software can also detect viruses hiding in archives before you decide to open / extract the archive.

Thank you but I already have the apps needed to open the .rar files. However, my concern is that my Windows 10 PC will be infected when I open one of these .RAR files.

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
If the rar isn't password protected check it with an anitvirus software on your PC or online?

Beside that: your antivirus software should take care of it anyway when you open it.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
If the rar isn't password protected check it with a anitvirus software on your PC or online?

Beside that: your antivirus software should take care of it anyway when you open it.
There is no password protection on these .rar files.

What's the safest way for me to open these .rar files? Just scanning them with the anti-virus before I open them?

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
There is no password protection on these .rar files.

What's the safest way for me to open these .rar files? Just scanning them with the anti-virus before I open them?

Yes, that should do the trick. Besides, what makes you think that your .rar files are infected? Most .rar files should be safe anyways.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
The safest way is to only open zip,rar files etc from a trusted source.
It sounds like your chancing something...... ;)
How do you NOT know what is on them...?

Reactions: Mr_Brightside_@

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Yes, that should do the trick. Besides, what makes you think that your .rar files are infected? Most .rar files should be safe anyways.
Thank you for your reply.

It just seems so easy for a hacker/malicious person to insert some spyware/virus/malware into a .RAR files.

I'm even more worried about this because I need to download so many .RAR files so while downloading the .RAR files I may accidentally download one .RAR file that contains a some virus/spyware/malware... ? :eek:

EDIT: Which OS would be the safest for me to use to open these .RAR files? Linux, Windows 10 or Mac OS?

Last edited:

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I don't see anything particularly different or risky about opening a RAR file. Downloading and opening almost any file type might cause problems. If they are in one directory just run a good virus program on that directory.

Running a virus scan on downloaded or newly acquired files is just good practice.

Reactions: Elitegate

grmlin

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2015
Why do you have to download so many rar files from a source you don't trust in the first place? Anyway, you could use a live linux to download and test the files if you want to be safe.

Reactions: Elitegate

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Thank you for your reply.

It just seems so easy for a hacker/malicious person to insert some spyware/virus/malware into a .RAR files.

I'm even more worried about this because I need to download so many .RAR files so while downloading the .RAR files I may accidentally download one .RAR file that contains a some virus/spyware/malware... ? :eek:

EDIT: Which OS would be the safest for me to use to open these .RAR files? Linux, Windows 10 or Mac OS?

You are welcome. MacOS is the safest, very user-friendly.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I was debating on whether to chime in on this or not, but I will if not for any reason other than to just give my take on it. Opening RAR files isn't inherently risky. There isn't anything particularly bad about them and, as has already been stated, any file has the potential to do something to your system. From my experience (and I've opened many files from random sources on the internet) I have found that you are fine as long as you have a good antivirus program. I use Avast! and it has really responsive real-time protection. Additionally, when I want to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt that a program isn't bad, I use its file scanner to scan the file. Not once has it done me wrong. You don't have to use Avast! and I assume any reputable antivirus would work. In short, you should be fine opening the RAR file as long as you have good antivirus and, if you want to be sure beyond a reasonable doubt, use the file scanner (most antivirus programs have one). :)

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Windows and Linux are safe as well, and regardless of the platform, one would be best served by practicing safe computing by not opening any file type if you're not completely sure its safe. It doesn't matter if its, a RAR, Doc, XLS, or executable.

I agree, and i also use Windows 10. I just want to note that if you are scared that you catch a virus because of a .RAR archive you have downloaded, you might wanna stick to macOS.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I agree, and i also use Windows 10. I just want to note that if you are scared that you catch a virus because of a .RAR archive you have downloaded, you might wanna stick to macOS.
While I see where you're coming from, the truth is that viruses exist for all computers and all operating systems. It just depends on how malicious and harmful they are. Saying that Windows computers are more likely to catch a virus is like saying that the average lifespan of smokers is longer than that of non-smokers. Both are accurate, but an explanation of the data is lacking and can therefore be misleading. I agree with @maflynn here. The best protection is practicing safe browsing and, especially in cases like this, a good virus scanner/real time protection system.

It is a bit curious though why the OP doesn't know whether the files would be infected or not.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
My thoughts exactly.
Any sensible person wouldn't go near a file (especially compressed) from some random source.
But then some people will click anything if they can get it free........?
This is exactly what scammers feed off.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Thank you but I already have the apps needed to open the .rar files. However, my concern is that my Windows 10 PC will be infected when I open one of these .RAR files.

Why? What's so special about these files that other files do not have?

Opening a rar archive is no more, or less, at risk than any other sort of archive file - be it cpio, tar, 7zip, zip or any of the other archive file types out there...

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
The point is that the OP doesn't even appear to know what is on them......!
If it's a purchased item and it's a .rar download, then it's fine (if it's from a trusted source)
If your just grabbing random stuff from the dark net then good luck........?

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
The point is that the OP doesn't even appear to know what is on them......!
If it's a purchased item and it's a .rar download, then it's fine (if it's from a trusted source)
If your just grabbing random stuff from the dark net then good luck........?

I have downloaded countless .rar files over the years and i never had problems with viruses. But i also use an anti-virus... and i don't download random stuff from shady websites. I developed a good eye for common scamming tactics.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I use its file scanner to scan the file.

Before I touch a file (including vendor app files) which I have acquired via download or via any other method, I manually scan that file with Sophos. I do have real-time scanning, so it is likely overkill, but just want to be sure it gets the green light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.