Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Rowhammer, Spectre and Meltdown have all shown the ability to leave the virtual environment.

Even using throwaway VMs isn't a safe we a first thought.
Scanning the file first with a good AV, then opening in a VM should be a very good (nothing's perfect) way of keeping safe. Yes, he could get infected with an unknown virus. But since it's unknown, there's going to be little protection regardless of what he does.

Alternatively, he can download it on a Mac, which will be largely immune to Windows-based viruses, then once he's inspected the file contents, he can move what's necessary.

But we all know this... I'm not sure what answers the OP is looking for.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
I agree, and i also use Windows 10. I just want to note that if you are scared that you catch a virus because of a .RAR archive you have downloaded, you might wanna stick to macOS.
Important question:
Is it possible for a virus to have the ability to infect different machines running Linux, macOS and Windows 10?

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Important question:
Is it possible for a virus to have the ability to infect different machines running Linux, macOS and Windows 10?

Most viruses should only be able to infect a particular operating system, but some can also infect multiple operating systems at once.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Most viruses should only be able to infect a particular operating system, but some can also infect multiple operating systems at once.
I see, but how likely is it for a virus to infect Linux, MacOS and Windows 10?

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening before my computer, whether it's a Linux, MacOS or Windows 10 machine from being infected?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

Is there a way I can prevent this from happening before my computer, whether it's a Linux, MacOS or Windows 10 machine from being infected?

Why are you asking all these questions? Where are you getting these files from? In the last few years every single malware caught on my computer's had been contained within spam email.

What are you doing that makes you this concerned?

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg

What antivirus do you have?
Why are you asking all these questions? Where are you getting these files from? In the last few years every single malware caught on my computer's had been contained within spam email.

What are you doing that makes you this concerned?
I'm wondering this too, as, even when I've downloaded files of questionable legitimacy, I've known what should be inside of them, which then helps me determine if it's something I need to trash immediately (my antivirus also helps with that decision).

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
What antivirus do you have?

I'm wondering this too, as, even when I've downloaded files of questionable legitimacy, I've known what should be inside of them, which then helps me determine if it's something I need to trash immediately (my antivirus also helps with that decision).

Sorry, I'll try to clear up my nervousness about these .RAR files:

I'm not downloading anything that's illegitimate, but they're not from an official source I highly trust like downloading files from Apple.com.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro's most recent anti-virus.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Sorry, I'll try to clear up my nervousness about these .RAR files:

I'm not downloading anything that's illegitimate, but they're not from an official source I highly trust like downloading files from Apple.com.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro's most recent anti-virus.
Ok, you should be fine. While statistics show that more Windows computers have gotten some sort of malware, that's only because there are more computers running Windows than there are computers running the Mac OS. Windows 10 should catch anything I'm pretty sure, but if you want to be doubly certain then I know VirusTotal, an online file scanner, was linked earlier in the thread. It's always smart to be cautious, so I applaud you for that. Not many users have the "better safe than sorry" attitude ;)

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Thank you for your replies!

The PC I want to download the .RAR files is Window 10 Pro PC with all the recent updates and it's running the built-in anti-virus that's made by Microsoft and comes with Windows 10.

I was just thinking this:

Is it safer for me to buy a 3rd party anti-virus App like from Norton or McAfee???

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Is it safer for me to buy a 3rd party anti-virus App like from Norton or McAfee???

Heaven's no! Neither of those are decent options these days - they may do OK in scanning but they've both got bad reputations as being resource hogs, temperamental and overall not fit for purpose.

To be brutally frank I think you're being way way way too paranoid about this. You're far more likely to get hit by an infected email these days then you are some RAR file.

The AV solution built into Windows 10 these days is much better than the older versions.

However if you must look at alternatives then Malware Byes, Sophos and BitDefender are some of the better solutions out there.

Also: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2020/

Last edited:

AppleSmack

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
I remember some months back on these forums, there was someone asking for recommendations for an external drive. Despite all the great answers and advice, and the even greater patience of many, the thread somehow ran to about 80 increasingly-frustrated replies before the mods locked it.

I wonder if OP is that same user with a different name.

Edit: this thread, 105 posts! https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=13661&share_type=t&link_source=app

Which External Hard Drive for Backup and Which Backup Program is Best?

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Heaven's no! Neither of those are decent options these days - they may do OK in scanning but they've both got bad reputations as being resource hogs, temperamental and overall not fit for purpose.

To be brutally frank I think you're being way way way too paranoid about this. You're far more likely to get hit by an infected email these days then you are some RAR file.

The AV solution built into Windows 10 these days is much better than the older versions.

However if you must look at alternatives then Malware Byes, Sophos and BitDefender are some of the better solutions out there.

Also: https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/windows-10/april-2020/
Great! Thank you for your input.

I guess my question about which anti-virus to use on Windows 10 would be a massive discussion by itself?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
This is obviously not desperate as the first post was 5 weeks ago....... ?
I think everyone is still a bit confused as to what these files actually are.
Is it data, software, movies.......?

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
This is obviously not desperate as the first post was 5 weeks ago....... ?
I think everyone is still a bit confused as to what these files actually are.
Is it data, software, movies.......?

Oh nothing like that. The files aren't copyrighted material and are completely genuine.

I just keep reading about how users will download files from websites and assume they're safe when they actually contain malicious files like spyware.

I only trust a few places to download files from like Apple's official website.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Oh nothing like that. The files aren't copyrighted material and are completely genuine.

I just keep reading about how users will download files from websites and assume they're safe when they actually contain malicious files like spyware.

Can you tell us the source of the files, e.g. what website they're from?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017

You're being massively over paranoid.

In 30+ years I could count the number of times a download has been malicious on the fingers of one hand.

Emails? Now there's a place where I've received more attempts.

But downloads? No... You seriously need to ratchet down this concern.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

Not an issue. You just scan any downloaded file with your virus scanner before you do open it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.