Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Now, I am a complete newbie to photography, so maybe I'm just easily impressed :eek:

I just got a Canon 350D (aka, Digital Rebel XT) yesterday, and today is the first chance I've had to play with it. Well, the sun came out, so I ran down the field at the end of my road to have a play :D

Click for large (3456x2304) :eek: :cool:

This is on fully-auto, in Landscape mode...I'm very pleased :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Haven't toyed around with one of the new Rebels yet, but got good use out of my old one before trading up tp the 20D. You'll love it.

Be sure to get yourself an EF 50 f1.8 II, best $60.00 you'll spend.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Saw your post earlier in the camera thread. Looks very nice... spring has come to Essex!

I'm very pleased for you.

*between gritted teeth while seething with jealousy*

:D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
iGary said:
Be sure to get yourself an EF 50 f1.8 II, best $60.00 you'll spend.
Right now, that means completely nothing to me...I'm such a n00b! :eek: But I'll look in to it, thanks :)
Blue Velvet said:
Saw your post earlier in the camera thread. Looks very nice... spring has come to Essex!

I'm very pleased for you.
hehe, thanks :)
*between gritted teeth while seething with jealousy*

:D
I wouldn't worry, sun stayed out for 5 minutes, gone again now *sob* :(

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
One more vital piece of equipment for the Keira-stalking... get yourself an ultra-long lens and you'll be ready to go. :)

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
edesignuk said:
Now, I am a complete newbie to photography, so maybe I'm just easily impressed :eek:

I just got a Canon 350D (aka, Digital Rebel XT) yesterday, and today is the first chance I've had to play with it. Well, the sun came out, so I ran down the field at the end of my road to have a play :D

Click for large (3456x2304) :eek: :cool:

This is on fully-auto, in Landscape mode...I'm very pleased :)

That second shot is stellar. I can see in about mmmm 1 month you'll be buying polarizers, 50mm lenses (i agree--nikon or canon, the 50 1.8 is the one thing both users seem to agree on-- great lenses!) wide angles, telephotos, timers, graduated neutral density filters.... haha

no seriously. you have a good eye there, and you'll only get better. g'luck with that cam.

m

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Moxiemike said:
That second shot is stellar. I can see in about mmmm 1 month you'll be buying polarizers, 50mm lenses (i agree--nikon or canon, the 50 1.8 is the one thing both users seem to agree on-- great lenses!) wide angles, telephotos, timers, graduated neutral density filters.... haha

no seriously. you have a good eye there, and you'll only get better. g'luck with that cam.

m

Yeah, isn't it funny how that works?

I outgrew three bags this year. :rolleyes:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
One more vital piece of equipment for the Keira-stalking... get yourself an ultra-long lens and you'll be ready to go. :)
;)

:eek: :D
iGary said:
EF 50 f/1.8 II

Seriously, though, congrats on the camera.

A couple of sites which will help your learning curve:

http://www.fredmiranda.com
http://www.dpreview.com
http://www.luminouslandscape.com

Enjoy! :D
Thanks, I'll be sure to check the lens and those sites out :)
Moxiemike said:

m
hehe, well, I hope so...or do I, oh dear, another money pit! :eek:

Car needs a clean, but wow, I'm serioulsy blown away by this, even the dirt is clear :D

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
edesignuk said:
;)

Car needs a clean, but wow, I'm serioulsy blown away by this, even the dirt is clear :D

hah! Nice. Well, with the 350, a Mini, Keira and some Macs... you definitely need to just buy the December Quarter bag from crumpler. It'll hold your XT, a bunch of lenses AND keira. ;)

Don't be like gary and keep "upgrading' your bag. ;)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
edesignuk said:
;)

When you get the 50 1.8 stop it all the way down, everything after "E" in COOPER will be out of focus. :eek:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Modeling shoot...

...with my cat! :eek: :p

I just can't get over the clarity of the image even at full size. On other cameras (Fuji S602 + the little Canon iXUS i) you have to zoom out quite a bit from actual size to get anything like the clarity of these images when at actual size. I'm stunned.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
edesignuk said:
Modeling shoot...
...with my cat! :eek: :p

Cute cat!

Doing that smoochy 'I'll just rub my head on this handy branch thing that just makes me look even more adorable'...

What's his/her name? Please don't say it's Keira... :eek: :p

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
What's his/her name? Please don't say it's Keira... :eek: :p
lol, I might have to put a stop to this whole Keira thing, I think it's getting out of hand :eek: heh heh...

Her name, well, the clue is in the file name ;)

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
You seem to be a natural photographer and you selected a nice camera--no wonder you are impressed. But then, you are a man of many talents.

How did Rosie get the notch in one ear? And what is the electronic-looking-device on the post behind the tree?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
JDar said:
How did Rosie get the notch in one ear?
hmmm...never actually noticed that before :eek:
And what is the electronic-looking-device on the post behind the tree?
Energy saving light bulb. It should have a cover over it, but where we have been cutting down that tree it got kocked off :eek:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Sorry to bore anyone :eek: I know, I keep saying it, but I really am just amazed at the HUGE difference between this and other cameras I have used.

Amazing colour:

He's not impressed:

I got lucky with my timing, grrrrrrrr:

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
ya that rebel is got some nice tech in there ..we were playing with them at the Canon show -- that rebel is very comparable to the 20D ... then again much like the original rebel was comparable to the 100D --- especially after you hacked the firmware ... not a fan of the body design ... feels a little to small even for my hands, then was also a case with the original rebel ...

i sometimes wish my D70 had a vertical grip to give the camera a little more size, plus a vertical grip would come in handy.

But over all that rebel is a winner in my book

even though nikon, and moxiemike will probably agree with me, won my heart over years ago <-- gotta stay loyal

vieoray

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
edesignuk said:
hmmm...never actually noticed that before

(about the notch in the ear)...

how did you get your cat? as in, did you find her or did you actually get her from somewhere, like a shelter or something. usually a notch in the ear means the cat was once a feral cat. vets put the notch in.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
That is one sweet camera and those are some awesome pics!

You should start uploading them to spymac or somewhere for backgrounds etc ... Love nice backgrounds me :p

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Holy image clarity and depth batman, that's seriously impressive. Much better than I'd expect, and loads better than scanning in normal photos or asking Kodak for a photo CD.

Now I want a digital camera too. I've no use whatsoever for one, but I'm sure I can find one.

AppleMatt

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
edesignuk said:
I know! :eek: :D And bare in mind, I have absolutely no idea what I'm even doing :eek: :p

Speaking of baring... reveal to us how much you got it for and where from then. :)

Am keen to get a new camera for the office this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.