Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Blue Velvet said:
£669 -- that's OK. Is there a slight time-lag between pressing the shutter and it taking the picture?
Doesn't seem to be, that's a another thing that is great. It is SERIOUSLY fast, in everyway. Startup time is virtually nothing, auto focus the same, and there is no lag to speak of. Everything is pretty much instant.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
revenuee said:
ya that rebel is got some nice tech in there ..we were playing with them at the Canon show -- that rebel is very comparable to the 20D ... then again much like the original rebel was comparable to the 100D --- especially after you hacked the firmware ... not a fan of the body design ... feels a little to small even for my hands, then was also a case with the original rebel ...

i sometimes wish my D70 had a vertical grip to give the camera a little more size, plus a vertical grip would come in handy.

But over all that rebel is a winner in my book

even though nikon, and moxiemike will probably agree with me, won my heart over years ago <-- gotta stay loyal

Yea. The rebel is a winner. So it's exciting to me to see how the big yellow N responds. Looks like the d50 & d70s for now. D200 later.

But yea. Your colors looked great though it looks like you're a weeee bit underexposed. But you'll learn that jazz

Remix of your flowers:

Attachments

• flowers1.jpg
    flowers1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 218

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
revenuee said:
i sometimes wish my D70 had a vertical grip to give the camera a little more size, plus a vertical grip would come in handy.

But over all that rebel is a winner in my book

even though nikon, and moxiemike will probably agree with me, won my heart over years ago <-- gotta stay loyal

Congrats on the 350D purchase edesignuk...

I think the same about a vertical grip for the D70. I love my D70 although I had a Film rebel before that. The F100 my sister-in-law had did it for me. Also the size and feel of the Digi Rebels pushed me away from it and towards the D70. Ill be faithful to Nikon from now on I love their equipment. Looking forward the the D70s as well as an upgrade to the D100 (if its coming). Every new camera that comes out looks amazing but it is a preference on glass and also feel. I also agree on the 50 1.8, I don't use it because i do outdoor sports but I have heard rave reviews on it.

tonyeck

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2004
Las Vegas, NV
congrats on the camera mate!

I am using a 300D at the moment and its gorgeous... The 350 D (or Rebel XT in the states) is on my list of first things to buy when I arrive in the states next week!

Check out these tutorials and make sure you start using the manual modes not the cheat settings ;)

http://photo-class.deviantart.com/

Great explanations into alot of cool settings etc

Check out my photography too

http://tonyeck.deviantart.com/

Nice cooper too.. Was just racing at rockingham speedway in a cooper S last weekend :)!

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Wow, these are seriously awesome!!!

I especially love the last one of the different color flowers... I know what to put on the inside of my mom's mothers day card!

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
printing

now those are some amazingly clear photos! how would the Rebel XT compare to the 20D? i was going to buy the older model Rebel before i saw reviews for the 20D and then they came out with the new XT and now i am confused. doesn't the new model XT have the same megapixals as the 20D? so what would make the 20D any better? or is it?

also what kind of printer would you use to print those out? my dad has a 5MP olympus camera he got a few years back and an epson photo printer for it but the prints never came out that great (always grainy or the colors were off compared to the computer screen)... now he has an HP photo printer but its only a little better. so what kind of printer should one get if they wanted to print wedding photos out; like if you were to sell your stuff what would be the best printer for that? if you guys could give me a few choices and maybe some differing price ranges that would be really helpful. i was looking at some of fuji's larger printers but could never find a price or a place to buy them; the ones that use the thermal heating. like the one at this link fujifilm

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
octoberdeath said:
also what kind of printer would you use to print those out? my dad has a 5MP olympus camera he got a few years back and an epson photo printer for it but the prints never came out that great (always grainy or the colors were off compared to the computer screen)... now he has an HP photo printer but its only a little better. so what kind of printer should one get if they wanted to print wedding photos out; like if you were to sell your stuff what would be the best printer for that? if you guys could give me a few choices and maybe some differing price ranges that would be really helpful. i was looking at some of fuji's larger printers but could never find a price or a place to buy them; the ones that use the thermal heating. like the one at this link fujifilm

If I get really good shots I like to have them printed at my local camera shop on photo chemical paper. I'm sure you can have this done about anywhere that makes film prints (although I tend to avoid the WalMart's). Amazing results. With a camera like edesign's you would be hard pressed to see the difference from film. Of course it all depends on size, resolution, etc. My 5mp yields amazing results!

Alot of times it is even cheaper than printing at home. :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Congrats there E! This is a really great camera! We can't seem to keep them in stock.

I just got a new toy, a Olympus C-8080. It was our store demo and got a great deal on from my boss. I tested it out in the store only so far.

And with what I having going on in my life at this point, taking pictures is on a very low priority (as some may know, I am separating after 13 years. It is the best for both of us. As an update for some that know what is going on, he is fine with it. I am getting emotional as the clock ticks down, it was my choice. But can't get too down, I have a new place to setup, and an old one to sell). My postings here on MR are my release at this point. A great family here.

Let me know if I can answer anything for you.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Chip NoVaMac said:
Congrats there E! This is a really great camera! We can't seem to keep them in stock.

I just got a new toy, a Olympus C-8080. It was our store demo and got a great deal on from my boss. I tested it out in the store only so far.

And with what I having going on in my life at this point, taking pictures is on a very low priority (as some may know, I am separating after 13 years. It is the best for both of us. As an update for some that know what is going on, he is fine with it. I am getting emotional as the clock ticks down, it was my choice. But can't get too down, I have a new place to setup, and an old one to sell). My postings here on MR are my release at this point. A great family here.

Let me know if I can answer anything for you.

hey Chip, i didnt know that was happening, but remember that you have a family here in us so dont be afraid to post some threads to talk about whatever, good luck and i wish you the best

On Topic: i am still waiting to get myself a digital camera....need to save money....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
OT: Thanks

PlaceofDis said:
hey Chip, i didnt know that was happening, but remember that you have a family here in us so dont be afraid to post some threads to talk about whatever, good luck and i wish you the best

On Topic: i am still waiting to get myself a digital camera....need to save money....

Many thanks there. To go off a bit, I felt that this was something that I wanted to share with just a few close friends here directly. Though I haven't been too shy at mentioning some of the changes as side notes to other threads. As zero hour nears I might take your suggestion. :)

Back on topic: Don't let others sway you in going higher than you want. The C-8080 that I just got is an awesome camera. Some quirks, but for most they are not an issue - unless you are the type to want to argue that one car that goes 6.0 in 0 is better than one that goes 7.0 in 60. Add to that many camera shops are now selling used digital cameras.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
trouble to come

Hey edesignuk

Sorry, I feel real sorry for you ;)
You have just entered the real world of digital photography.
DSLR = end of your social life ;)

I have had 2 Sony point and shoot digital cameras. When I got my Canon 10D, I started spending more time in Photoshop than in the pubs with my friends.

Next on your list to check out:
nik filters
fred miranda actions and plug-ins
dreamlist of Canon lenses

Enjoy your photography

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
PlaceofDis said:
i am still waiting to get myself a digital camera....need to save money....

I never used to take photos because it was just far too hard to get the fil developed and lets face it, I'm a pretty impatient jew so I grabbed myself a really cheap digital Kodak. It's made photography just that little bit extra and now I'm always taking happy snappies of whatever. Take the plunge, Macs were made to store your iLife and that includes photos. ;)

Sorry, back to edesign, they're some really cool photos. I've never seen a blue sky in the UK and I just assumed you'd shipped it over here along with the convicts. ;)

If i liked cats I'm sure I'd appreciate the photos that little bit more but...

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
spacepower7 said:
Next on your list to check out:
nik filters
fred miranda actions and plug-ins
dreamlist of Canon lenses

Enjoy your photography

Couldn't agree more. By the way, that dreamlist of canon lenses is what is really going to burn the wallet ;) .

For the time being try a circular polarizer..... it is amazing what that piece of glass can do :D

oldpismo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
UK
One of the new Canon inkjet printers will do a good job of the printing. I have just got the ip5000 and that is doing really nice photo jobs.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Nice pics man.

And thanks for sharing resources everyone, it comes in handy for someone like myself who is also basically a newbie.

Also had a question about the EF 50 f1.8 II lens that was recommended. What does this lens offer that you cannot achieve with the stock lens that comes with the camera? I'm pretty lens illiterate and just wanting some more information on what else is available for my camera ;)

xcalibur

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
Wow, I seriously had no idea there were so many photography enthusiasts on this forum! :) Anyways, I recently got a 300D as I couldn't justify the difference in price in the 350D. I paid around £450 for mine so the 350 would have been £200 more. The two main additional features on the 350 to me would probably me the extra 2 MP and the much faster boot up time.

I'm on the lookout for a decently priced macro lens. Any recommendations? Also, like the first poster, I'm also kind of a newb and am very confused with how to rate a macro lens. Lenses have a focus length so my initial impression was that the lens with the lowest focus length should be the best? I know this is the wrong interpration but could someone shed some light on why? Would really appreciate it. I've been reading around and apparently a good macro lens has a 1:1 ratio something of that sorts?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
xcalibur said:
Wow, I seriously had no idea there were so many photography enthusiasts on this forum! :) Anyways, I recently got a 300D as I couldn't justify the difference in price in the 350D. I paid around £450 for mine so the 350 would have been £200 more. The two main additional features on the 350 to me would probably me the extra 2 MP and the much faster boot up time.

I'm on the lookout for a decently priced macro lens. Any recommendations? Also, like the first poster, I'm also kind of a newb and am very confused with how to rate a macro lens. Lenses have a focus length so my initial impression was that the lens with the lowest focus length should be the best? I know this is the wrong interpration but could someone shed some light on why? Would really appreciate it. I've been reading around and apparently a good macro lens has a 1:1 ratio something of that sorts?

Buy the Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 macro. you'll love it, it's useful as a light, all around lens (though slightly slow to focus) and it's INCREDIBLY sharp.

$249 and worth every cent.

m

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm, edesign, I don't know whether I should be more jealous of your camera or your shooting skills... :) Nice. I think DSLR is moving to my summer list, and I've decided that it's definitely a better monetary investment than upgrading my iBook. Can't wait to see more about the D50.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Completely jealous guys. Especially of you eDesign! It's sunny in essex.. its thunderstorms in wales! Ok.. i lie.. it's sunny here at the moment... for now.

Anyway, starting to think my 3 year old Kodak DX3900 is passé now. The picture quality from these Pro cameras is amazing. My friends always "oohhh" and "ahhhhs" at iPhoto slideshowing our digital photos, but with one of your babies I dunno what noises they'll be making ;)

Toodle pip for now

Off clubbin in the land of sheep.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Moxiemike said:
Buy the Sigma 50mm f2.8 1:1 macro. you'll love it, it's useful as a light, all around lens (though slightly slow to focus) and it's INCREDIBLY sharp.

I have the Sigma 50mm 2.8 and agree that its really sharp. Moxiemike wasn't kidding when he said it's "slightly" slow to focus - it's a real dog. I use manual focus because the autofocus is far too slow. It's a good lens for the price though - 1:1 is really close, and for really small macro work, you probably need to be using manual focus anyway so you can get exactly what you want in focus (at large apertures such as 2.8, you're looking at only millimeters of depth in focus)
I agree with others on the Canon 50mm f/1.8 though :) it's a great low-light lens.
Congrats on the 350D!

Deefuzz - with the 1.8 you can take photos without a flash in lower light (indoors, for example). With my 20d I can push the ISO up and get some really sharp low-light shots (out in the city only illuminated with street lights, or indoors) without a tripod.

Deefuzz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
St. Louis, MO
MacManDan said:
Deefuzz - with the 1.8 you can take photos without a flash in lower light (indoors, for example). With my 20d I can push the ISO up and get some really sharp low-light shots (out in the city only illuminated with street lights, or indoors) without a tripod.

Awesome...thank you much!! So it is a good low-light lens. Will it do good macro shots too? Or should I splurge for a second lens specifically for macro shots?

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Deefuzz said:
Awesome...thank you much!! So it is a good low-light lens. Will it do good macro shots too? Or should I splurge for a second lens specifically for macro shots?

Not too great for macro shots. Its closest focusing distance is 1.5ft (.45m) its the difference between getting a close picture and getting an insanely close picture.
I recommend the 1.8 first, because it definitely has more uses and the focusing isn't glacially slow. It's also cheaper, and macro lenses are a bit specialized. Most people like macro for bugs, or flowers ... me? I like circuits (see attached file). I must admit my macro has been sitting in my bag largely neglected since my last contracted product shots. Sigh.

Attachments

• IMG_4078.JPG
    IMG_4078.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 215
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.