Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Today was supposed to be fun, and interesting. Instead it was disappointing and frustrating.

I “tore down” my 27” iMac setup. Reran all the needed wires, cleaned, etc. Then I set the Studio in place, then the monitor. Powered it on, and let it get through those first boots. Then I plugged in that morning’s Time Machine back up of my iMac. That’s where the fun and enthusiasm ended.

I had about 300gb used on the drive I backed up… or so I thought. I guess it took a lot of cloud files too? I wasn’t thinking… So, the backup was too big for the 500gb drive. Clean install it is. My bad. Disappointing but still my fault.

A little while later. I start reinstalling things. First up is my Logi MX Vertical Bluetooth mouse… and the Max says… NOPE. So, I spend some time researching. WTF is BTE? Ugh you dirty little…. I go to our IT dept… “Hey, you guys have an extra corded mouse?” I figured I just needed to be able to click the connect button. Nope. Try all the buttons. Restart 1/2 dozen times. Nope. Nope. Nope. So now I guess I need to use a USB port for a Unify plug… which I’ll have to go buy. Because god forbid Apple design any ergonomic options that “just work”.

On to the second monitor now… HP mouse in hand. Let’s try the usb c to hdmi cable. It works. That is… unless you run any programs. Then it shuts off. So, I look that issue up. “Usb c is not really a display connection”… ok. Undo the wire. Replace with a standard HDMI cable. Put everything back together. Appears to be working.

(Update in replies below. I think the monitor stand is amplifying the fan noise.)

What’s that sound? Fans. Mother fauker… I think I need to move the Studio to the far corner of my desk. I’ll need to redo the wires. Again. But that’s a job for another day. Now I’m thinking I’d just like one bright spot. Launch iTunes… play a song… it sounds awesome (think dual HomePod minis).

Feeling a tiny bit better. Stop the song. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Fans… ugh seriously? (I might have to rig some sound dampening near/behind it after I move it. I wanted to record audio in here…)

I was going to try the web cam, but I just couldn’t take any more disappointments.

The brightest spot of the setup was a $19 aluminum swiveling monitor stand I got off Amazon.

It’s also killing me that I have to wait until Monday (computer is at the office) to continue this amazing setup process.

UPDATE:

I picked up some glass-top numbers as recommended and they prevent the skid issue.

I relocated the box and the fan noise is much less noticeable. I suspect the sound was being amplified by my monitor stand.

There was NO connecting my Logitech mouse by Bluetooth, but I found a spare Unify dongle at home and I now have my vertical mouse back. Updated update… the scroll wheel functionality randomly stops working. Restarting seems to temporarily resolve it.

Attachments

• AC63E48A-FC50-4797-B9D2-583654762831.jpeg
    AC63E48A-FC50-4797-B9D2-583654762831.jpeg
    503.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 33DA5BFF-6D66-4BD7-9EBB-987B03ABAA61.jpeg
    33DA5BFF-6D66-4BD7-9EBB-987B03ABAA61.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 149
  • 4A7371D7-9DA5-4F6B-9FE7-F33BB9880046.jpeg
    4A7371D7-9DA5-4F6B-9FE7-F33BB9880046.jpeg
    554.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
You think there might be a reason why you appear to be the first and only person to complain about that?:)
I legitimately don’t know. I’m exhausted. Please tell me, honestly. Is it because no one is buying it? Or that everyone is already complained about it? It’s been a busy week so I’m behind on the latest.

Last edited:

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
I legitimately don’t know. I’m exhausted. Please tell me, honestly. Is it because no one is buying it? Or that everyone is already complained about it? It’s been a busy week so I’m behind on the latest.
I’ll look it up.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Good Lord! Send it back.
It’s kind of a cool opportunity for an accessory maker, or silicon case manufacturer to make a little circle holder for it. Im going to hit up Home Depot, hoping for something silicon and circular, but will settle for a small circle of the stuff that goes under carpets so they don’t slide on floors.

Reactions: m1maverick

enricoclaudio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2017

BobSc

Suspended
Mar 29, 2020
Also. There is no grip on the bottom of the Studio. So, when you go to plug in any cables it slides across the desk. You have to hold it and then push the cable in.
Thank goodness there is no grip. I occasionally have to move the studio (without a lot of space around it) a few inches. Being able to just glide it is great.

Also, knowing how relatively hard it can be to plug in a usb-c connection, I suspect that with feet you'd still have to use two hands to plug it in.

For those that want feet, it's an easy thing to do with very minimal cost. If the Studio had feet, I'd have trouble moving it as I need to. For the few times I need to temporarily plug something in, it's no big deal to use two hands to hold the computer and push the plug in. Need two hands to plug something into the Studio Display or my iMac for that matter.

Reactions: xgman

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
@PowerMac5500 it's a shame it didn't go smoothly for you. I must have lucked out and didn't have any issues setting mine up. I did, however, catch a video on YT talking about the Logitech bluetooth adapter not working - so I was prepared for that ahead of time.

Right now I am running HDMI out to one 4K display, and using a Newertech (OWC) USB-C to DisplayPort adapter to connect to the second 4K display - and everything looks and works great.

These are extremely nice machines, in my opinion. I am really happy with mine.

aurora_sect

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2022
No need to wait for any genius to come up with something when you can solve this issue with $2. Mine doesn’t move even 1mm ?

View attachment 1988660

I did something similar to this on day 1.

I had a really bad time connecting a mouse and keyboard; it took about an hour. Pretty smooth sailing after that. Hope your experience improves, OP.

Reactions: PowerMac5500

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
I did something similar to this on day 1.

I had a really bad time connecting a mouse and keyboard; it took about an hour. Pretty smooth sailing after that. Hope your experience improves, OP.
Thank you.

It’s hard to remember in the moment, especially when expectations are high, but you‘re right. We’ve tackled so many hurdles like these.

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
I’ve been noodling the noise issue. I think my monitor stand is just resonating the sound out at me. I’m putting baby in the corner. The cables coming out of the back are a bit much anyway. I’ll drop the second monitor down a few inches and pad the back of it, and the corner wall. That should help a little. Photo of current setup and sketch of the plan attached.

Attachments

• 4960F41A-5201-4C10-8FD9-8DA16C223233.jpeg
    4960F41A-5201-4C10-8FD9-8DA16C223233.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 167
  • 19E18F08-BC6C-4A84-A916-0ED13149CE87.jpeg
    19E18F08-BC6C-4A84-A916-0ED13149CE87.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
@PowerMac5500 it's a shame it didn't go smoothly for you. I must have lucked out and didn't have any issues setting mine up. I did, however, catch a video on YT talking about the Logitech bluetooth adapter not working - so I was prepared for that ahead of time.

Right now I am running HDMI out to one 4K display, and using a Newertech (OWC) USB-C to DisplayPort adapter to connect to the second 4K display - and everything looks and works great.

These are extremely nice machines, in my opinion. I am really happy with mine.
Thanks. I bet it is. I’m just bummed I didn’t get to really try it out/finish the setup before quitting time. And really not happy about the Logitech mouse situation. I can’t go back to a regular mouse after a vertical, and the MX from Logi is the best. ?

I know my title is a little inflammatory, but that was my unfortunate experience today. It’s not my final opinion on the machine. I just wish it hadn’t gone that way lol. And frankly, I just wanted to talk about it with this forum’s fine folks. So, thank you again.

Maybe someone on here will avoid a few mistakes I made when they set theirs up.

AdamSeen

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2013
Also. There is no grip on the bottom of the Studio. So, when you go to plug in any cables it slides across the desk. You have to hold it and then push the cable in.
It was a known issue, a few reviewers commented on it. But seems it was fixed on later production runs because the one I had had a thicker grip that prevented it sliding.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks. I bet it is. I’m just bummed I didn’t get to really try it out/finish the setup before quitting time. And really not happy about the Logitech mouse situation. I can’t go back to a regular mouse after a vertical, and the MX from Logi is the best. ?

The Logitech mouse (and keyboards) will work fine, like they always have, after initial setup. The problem is the Mac Studio will only accept wired mice / keyboards or Apple bluetooth mouse / trackpad / keyboard during initial setup. After the installation is setup, you will be able to add and use your Logitech peripherals like you have on previous Macs.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
It was a known issue, a few reviewers commented on it. But seems it was fixed on later production runs because the one I had had a thicker grip that prevented it sliding.

This is the first I had heard of this. I would think my Mac Studio is a pretty recent build (purchased April 3 in person from Apple Store) and it is pretty slippery. At first I thought it was strange that it slid so easily on the desk, but then realized that previous Mac Minis did the same. My 2013 Mac Pro, on the other hand, was very grippy.

My Mac Studio does not exhibit any fan noise issues, so I won't worry about not getting a slip resistant Mac and will just use the tip provided by @enricoclaudio

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
The Logitech mouse (and keyboards) will work fine, like they always have, after initial setup. The problem is the Mac Studio will only accept wired mice / keyboards or Apple bluetooth mouse / trackpad / keyboard during initial setup. After the installation is setup, you will be able to add and use your Logitech peripherals like you have on previous Macs.
Nope.

I have (went and got) a wired mouse. The Studio sees the mouse. Offers me the connect button. No amount of clicking that button with the wired mouse will make it connect. Just grays out the connect button for a minute. Then shows the connect button goes as clickable again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.