Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
Nope.

I have (went and got) a wired mouse. The Studio sees the mouse. Offers me the connect button. No amount of clicking that button with the wired mouse will make it connect. Just grays out the connect button for a minute. Then shows the connect just goes back to clickable again.

I am basing my opinion off of what I had seen in this video. Does it not work like this for you?

PowerMac5500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
I am basing my opinion off of what I had seen in this video. Does it not work like this for you?

No. Sorry. It doesn’t.

I’ve been here, done that, setting up a Mac plenty of times. I wasn’t trying to set it up at the Bonjour screen, I was trying to connect from the Bluetooth preferences panel. Oh so many times.

I had the MX mouse plugged I and it works as a wired mouse. I didn’t bother trying to setup the Bluetooth until I was “done” initial setup. Dude in the video is wrong though, unless maybe it’s just the MX vertical, but the USB c port on it works just fine as a data port. I will use it corded if I have to, but it really changes the experience, and for the price of this stuff… it should work.

Canezmd

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
What a stupid setup procedure. You shouldn't need to google or watch a YouTube video to get through setup. Why would apple assume that people will have an apple keyboard AND mouse for setup when the studio doesn't come with one?? I'm using like 3 different mice now to set this thing up.

Started with MX mouse, plugged in, no luck. Next plugged in a corded gaming mouse and that got me through migration. Now that migration is finished, the plugged in corded gaming mouse is no longer working... the mouse is lit up, but the studio is not recognizing it anymore. Tried plugging and replugging etc. Then tried to pair a Magic Mouse and the studio won't see that either. It says migration finished and I need to press the "done" button... but I can't get the studio to recognize any pointer and I'm afraid a restart might mess up the migration.

Completely ridiculous for apple to not allow for bluetooth pairing of non-apple keyboards and mice during setup for a computer that doesn't come with an apple keyboard and mouse. Just mind-boggling.

Chung123

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
NYC
i just grabbed the spare le creuset silicon round trivet from our kitchen and used that.
Cerise
i just grabbed the spare le creuset silicon round trivet from our kitchen and used that

This would be an amazing opportunity for third party accessory makers to create Mac Studio non slip silicone coasters and sell it for $19.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Also. There is no grip on the bottom of the Studio. So, when you go to plug in any cables it slides across the desk. You have to hold it and then push the cable in.

Maybe it's just me, but I always stabilize any computer with my free hand when I'm unplugging or plugging in peripherals. Just a natural tendency for me, regardless of whether the computer has rubber "feet" or not.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
The Logitech mouse (and keyboards) will work fine, like they always have, after initial setup. The problem is the Mac Studio will only accept wired mice / keyboards or Apple bluetooth mouse / trackpad / keyboard during initial setup. After the installation is setup, you will be able to add and use your Logitech peripherals like you have on previous Macs.

My Apple keyboard refused to pair with my M1 Mac Mini when I tried to set the Mini up. Had to go out and buy a wired keyboard. So even if you have all Apple peripherals, there's no guarantee something won't be screwy.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I’ve been noodling the noise issue. I think my monitor stand is just resonating the sound out at me. I’m putting baby in the corner. The cables coming out of the back are a bit much anyway. I’ll drop the second monitor down a few inches and pad the back of it, and the corner wall. That should help a little. Photo of current setup and sketch of the plan attached.

IMHO download and run one of the many fan control apps for mac (many free) to set the fan RPMs from 1300 to 1000. Tests show no degradation in temperatures and that its effectively silent.

Give it a shot just to check impact on noise if you don't want a compromised desk layout.

-d

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Once I figured out to connect the trackpad and keyboard with lightening cables it went fine. The file transfer was sort of a pain because for some reason it simply quit right in the middle after about 3 hours. Got a message that said "cannot find source, would you like to start transfer over?" NO, but it seemed I didn't have much of a choice. The second one went smoothly but did take a lot longer than a usual MBP transfer.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Also for what this is worth early on in setup I had cabled up the keyboard and magic pad. The studio asked me to double-press the power button on the back of the unit to auto-pair them over bluetooth. I did that and it worked. This was an apple keyboard and apple magic pad.

-d

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
My Apple keyboard refused to pair with my M1 Mac Mini when I tried to set the Mini up. Had to go out and buy a wired keyboard. So even if you have all Apple peripherals, there's no guarantee something won't be screwy.
The wireless Apple keyboard works as wired if you plug it in with the lightning to USB-A cable.

Reactions: bobcomer

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Aaaa, that's a shame then, I am not sure what Apple is doing... it is an older Apple keyboard, but still a legitimate Bluetooth keyboard. Shame on Apple.

I don't think it's anything intentional on Apple's part. Once I finished setting up the Mini with the wired keyboard, I was able to connect and use the old keyboard just fine (in fact, I'm using it right now). However, in this thread we're wondering if it may be causing other issues (see later posts).

vddobrev

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
Haskovo, Bulgaria
I don't think it's anything intentional on Apple's part. Once I finished setting up the Mini with the wired keyboard, I was able to connect and use the old keyboard just fine (in fact, I'm using it right now). However, in this thread we're wondering if it may be causing other issues (see later posts).
I hear you, it may not be intentional, but it reminded of the old Windows days where I had to keep a spare wired keyboard for OS re-install.

Interesting thread, I was not aware that the M1 Mac mini also crashes in sleep... I thought it was only my Mac Pro 2013 that started crashing since macOS Monterey, I started a thread about it.

Reactions: usagora

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
As for the Logitech mouse, did you have it paired via BT before on the previous computer? If so, you'll need to put the mouse into pairing mode first before you can pair it with your new computer. Make sure the house is in BT pairing mode before clicking on the 'Discover' button on BT on the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.