Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Precreate

Chiang have sword will travel.jpeg

Finger painting in sketches pro
Ti Lung eye.jpg

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Long time no post, but ..

0BCFC4E6-E69C-4256-9EDE-5C7769060DBB.jpeg

(Sorry if partial nudity / weird horror stuff is against the rules!) Still doing these on my 9.7” iPad Pro. Can’t decide which, if any iPad I should upgrade to. ^ Procreate. Occasionally I hit the layer limit, and Pixave (which I use for my reference library) sometimes complains it doesn’t have enough RAM, and I have to reboot.. So I probably need more.

DA58823A-9C56-44A8-BA26-57FC09D5327D.jpeg
^ Comic Draw, an app that doesn’t get anywhere near the love it deserves.

This is still a really inspiring thread!

Oh, artists! Realistically - does ProMotion really make any difference at all to drawing? Considering there’s not a Cintiq on the planet with crazy Refresh like that, and nobody asks for it.. I cant see how it would make a difference? I’ve never thought it wasn’t updating smoothly enough at 60fps?!

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Long time no post, but ..

View attachment 827061

(Sorry if partial nudity / weird horror stuff is against the rules!) Still doing these on my 9.7” iPad Pro. Can’t decide which, if any iPad I should upgrade to. ^ Procreate. Occasionally I hit the layer limit, and Pixave (which I use for my reference library) sometimes complains it doesn’t have enough RAM, and I have to reboot.. So I probably need more.

View attachment 827062
^ Comic Draw, an app that doesn’t get anywhere near the love it deserves.

This is still a really inspiring thread!

Oh, artists! Realistically - does ProMotion really make any difference at all to drawing? Considering there’s not a Cintiq on the planet with crazy Refresh like that, and nobody asks for it.. I cant see how it would make a difference? I’ve never thought it wasn’t updating smoothly enough at 60fps?!

Art is very nice.

ProMotion for me: made no difference. And as long as there are hardware issues with the Pro models (which hopefully will not trickle down to the new Air), I’ll buy non Pro models.

I had the RAM issues in Procreate too, so I am hoping the Mini’s 3gb of RAM will suffice. I hope I’ll be fine using Procreate in split screen on the Mini.

Great work by everyone!

This was a hands attempt more than anything else, though I am disappointed the eraser showed up as pixelated smudges.

Happy with the hands though.

F308EC44-0163-4A70-91A7-E2BFC6F671C6.jpeg

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Procreate

View attachment 829379

Sketches Pro (Pencil and finger paint doodle)

View attachment 829380 iPad Mini tests.

Happy to say I can use split screen with Procreate on the Mini 5. Looking forward to creating a lot more with this iPad...

And now sleep...
Excellent! Glad to hear that’s working for you!

I’d kind of be interested in seeing a photo or screengrab of procreate and MacRumors split on the mini, just to see how much screen you still have left. :) I like split screen a lot.. The mini is so damn cute!

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Excellent! Glad to hear that’s working for you!

I’d kind of be interested in seeing a photo or screengrab of procreate and MacRumors split on the mini, just to see how much screen you still have left. :) I like split screen a lot.. The mini is so damn cute!

Zilch. :p
60F6F1B9-8029-4308-9241-EE1D3F2D1247.png F270B748-731A-4C79-A04E-E7CDC9F68B9E.png
5C13D3F5-3250-48D1-88D2-7C08F98EB296.jpeg

I need to try drawing the image again, first attempt at this actor.

Since Procreate is the dominant app, split screen with MacRumors is tight on the Mini in landscape. Photos and Procreate aren’t a problem because I can enlarge the photo to work for me.

I rarely draw in Portrait, but if you want to see that, I’ll do a test.

I love this Mini.

Last edited:

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Zilch. :p
View attachment 829575 View attachment 829577 View attachment 829576
I need to try drawing the image again, first attempt at this actor.

Since Procreate is the dominant app, split screen with MacRumors is tight on the Mini in landscape. Photos and Procreate aren’t a problem because I can enlarge the photo to work for me.

I rarely draw in Portrait, but if you want to see that, I’ll do a test.

I love this Mini.
That’s great, and thanks that helps a lot. I hope the extra smallness lets you take it out and use it in new situations. Hmm! Procreate seems surprisingly spacious, and if even the Mini has space I should be less twitchy about upgrading mine partly to make it bigger.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but if you make a 4096x4096px square canvas in procreate how many layers Do you get? On the 9.7” I only get 8! I wonder if it scales linearly, or goes up irregularly.

I only just realised the 1TB Pros have 6GB RAM, what the heck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.