Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
That’s great, and thanks that helps a lot. I hope the extra smallness lets you take it out and use it in new situations. Hmm! Procreate seems surprisingly spacious, and if even the Mini has space I should be less twitchy about upgrading mine partly to make it bigger.

Sorry for the barrage of questions but if you make a 4096x4096px square canvas in procreate how many layers Do you get? On the 9.7” I only get 8! I wonder if it scales linearly, or goes up irregularly.

I only just realised the 1TB Pros have 6GB RAM, what the heck?

Procreate: Also 8 layers for 4096x4096 on the Mini, I suppose that is the maximum layers allowed for that size.

When I split screen Procreate, I give Procreate 2/3rds of the screen and second app 1/3, no matter the iPad size.

The 6gb of RAM in the 1TB iPad Pros are supposedly for storage management only. There’s some discussion of that in other threads here.

The Mini size will let me commute with it a lot easier than any other iPad. I love it.

5A1B0454-C68C-4C8B-9791-631A9A53DDF4.jpeg

And a doodle I did in Sketches Pro with the Pencil.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Thanks again! Ah that’s interesting about the layers not increasing yet, I suspect they have to manually add support for new models and more layers will be freed up in the next update. 3GB is a new thing they’ve not had to think about outside of procreate pocket I guess.

I like those pattern brushes!

08kx250f

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Two questions if you guys could help me out...

1. Can you export drawings from iPad as SVG or to adobe illustrator? I'm trying to make web icons.
2. Do y'all think they're will be a new iPad in 2019 as I'll be in the market for a new iPad pro in about 1-2 months.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

1. Can you export drawings from iPad as SVG or to adobe illustrator? I'm trying to make web icons.
2. Do y'all think they're will be a new iPad in 2019 as I'll be in the market for a new iPad pro in about 1-2 months.
1. Affinity Designer exports SVG among other things.

2. Your guess is as good as mine. Apple just released updated iPads 2 weeks ago. It’s possible the pros get updated this fall but based on past update schedules, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK

Personally I doubt they’ll update the pro this year. They’re already so damn far ahead of any competition and it’d almost be wasting an iteration on what could only realistically be minor changes at this point. They’d end up with a situation akin to the iPad 3, introducing important new tech, then releasing a fancier version too soon afterward.

My gut (which isn’t exactly trustworthy, I have Crohn’s disease, lol) tells me these pros aren’t getting updating until at least mid 2020.

08kx250f

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Personally I doubt they’ll update the pro this year. They’re already so damn far ahead of any competition and it’d almost be wasting an iteration on what could only realistically be minor changes at this point. They’d end up with a situation akin to the iPad 3, introducing important new tech, then releasing a fancier version too soon afterward.

My gut (which isn’t exactly trustworthy, I have Crohn’s disease, lol) tells me these pros aren’t getting updating until at least mid 2020.

Thanks for the input. I picked up one today. I think it's still a good time to buy.

Reactions: mixel

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
Well, No matter how much I shake my fist at Apple for my iPads not working out, it’s my preferred way to draw so I am debating trying an Air or -gasp- an 11” iPad Pro.

This sketch convinced me to reconsider...

View attachment 832725 View attachment 832726
Nice as always! A relative bought my daughter the new Air for her birthday, and I’m a bit jealous, haha. It seems pretty much perfect, no issues at all and that little bit of extra screen is nice. I’m still on my 9.7” Pro, and likely to stay on it until I can justify an 11”. I still love this little thing though, after reading problems people have with them sometimes it’s really nice knowing mine behaves itself. Never had to get repairs or return anything.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Nice as always! A relative bought my daughter the new Air for her birthday, and I’m a bit jealous, haha. It seems pretty much perfect, no issues at all and that little bit of extra screen is nice. I’m still on my 9.7” Pro, and likely to stay on it until I can justify an 11”. I still love this little thing though, after reading problems people have with them sometimes it’s really nice knowing mine behaves itself. Never had to get repairs or return anything.
That’s awesome your 9.7 iPP has held up. That’s all I want, an iPad that allows me to draw with no issues. I do not need the bells or whistles. I’ll use mom’s 2018 for awhile and wait until the Air is on sale etc. I cannot justify an 11” when I am needing a new Mac too.

Mom’s is holding up (only the occasional freeze in Procreate).

At least I know to film my issues now. Why I did not do that with the last three iPPs/Mini I tried is beyond me, but there you go.

Reactions: mixel

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
That is amazing! Hope you make a living with your art work.
[doublepost=1555856764][/doublepost]
I hear you. I have the 9.7 Pro also and still works great. Would have upgraded this year but not going to do it with all the screen issues that have been reported.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac and Smici
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.