Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Having worked at home for over a year and only returning for 2/3 days each week in 2022 I decided to get a new standing desk. Wanted to have the chance to move more. It finally arrived today, mostly done. Just need to figure out the cabling and tidy all that up.

The most obvious point which I never really thought through? When the desk goes up, so do the cables :)

Apologies for the poor lighting, will post another shot in daylight once I am done.

using a laptop for work, PC is under the desk and the M1 Mac Mini to the right with my Synology 4-bay NAS.

IMG_0603.JPG

Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
1623419110213.png

Not completely satisfied with cable management yet. Still a work in progress. Debating getting a small couch and replacing the chair (which isn't as comfortable as it looked). need a better floor covering/protection.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I think my top is too small. I just picked a 'that will do' option but I have way more available space. Easy to change though.

andy2141

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
UK
Having worked at home for over a year and only returning for 2/3 days each week in 2022 I decided to get a new standing desk. Wanted to have the chance to move more. It finally arrived today, mostly done. Just need to figure out the cabling and tidy all that up.

The most obvious point which I never really thought through? When the desk goes up, so do the cables :)

Apologies for the poor lighting, will post another shot in daylight once I am done.

using a laptop for work, PC is under the desk and the M1 Mac Mini to the right with my Synology 4-bay NAS.

View attachment 1791022
Nice.

I’m looking for a laptop stand like that for my work laptop. Is it generic or custom to the laptop model?

Reactions: LeeW

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Nice.

I’m looking for a laptop stand like that for my work laptop. Is it generic or custom to the laptop model?

This one

I like it as it is adjustable and has 4 hex underneath to secure it, so you can be as specific as you want in terms of how tight it fits. Good solid build quality as well. Will fit any laptop, even quite thick ones.

Reactions: andy2141

keeper

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2008
Wife has took over mine and made a mess, The important thing when using one is to stand straight with the height set correctly, very easy to start leaning on them.

Attachments

• E2A71E09-B215-46D4-A1E7-4EE036BA3374.jpeg
    E2A71E09-B215-46D4-A1E7-4EE036BA3374.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 169

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
This is my non-functioning standing desk... still working on getting parts from the company under warranty. We just got our flooring done, so I painted my office and bought a new desk. The boxes on the desk are my Vesa desk mounts for my monitors.

The left side will be my 3440x1440 144hz Photography-Video Editing/Content Creation/Streaming/Gaming Setup, and the right side will be my Tri-Monitor 1920x1080 120hz Discord/Multitasking/Everything else Setup.

After I get my Desk working, it will be cable managed under the desk, with just the power and ethernet cable showing a little. I'll also have a 4k tv mounted about my tri-monitors... similar to my old tri-monitor set linked above... and I have other things planned for my office that are still in boxes not visible in pic. When I have everything setup... I might repost in this thread.

vivodesk.jpg

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
I deeply wanted to turn my desk into a standing one (custom maple top I stained, Ikea Alex drawers). Ikea sells the foundation for doing that but they're all too deep. My desk is 24" deep. Very jealous of those able to stand. Tired of sitting in the same spot this last year.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Got my RMA'd parts to fix my standing desk on Tuesday, and finished my office/gaming room over the weekend. Lot's of planning to cable manage a stand up desk, so it doesn't yank out cables from components and electric sockets. Very happy how everything came out... but my setup still isn't 100% complete yet.

Standing position:
deskstand.jpg

Low position:
desksit.jpg

Perfect height for my IKEA Poang chair with 4" casters:
desksitchair.jpg

Why did I put wheels on my IKEA Poang chair and use as an office/gaming chair? If you look at the bottom and back of the chair, I have 2 Aura Sound bass shakers mounted on this chair. If you ever watched movies, listen to music, or game with this chair setup... you would understand. Feeling that bass with headphones is amazing, and I don't bother anyone in the house. I think the Poang chair is perfect for bass shakers, because the design of the chair is like it's isolated from the ground. The bass hits hard with this chair.

JackMark

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2022
Oh yes, I understand you very well; I, too, could not find a good desk for a long time. When quarantine started, I started working at home. At first I worked at a desk in the dining room, but it was very uncomfortable. So I started looking for a good desk. I was very lucky, and I came across one website https://eurekaergonomic.com/gaming-desk-aed-72-studio-with-keyboard-tray/, where I saw an amazing desk. I ordered it and was very happy with it; it is a pleasure to work with.

Last edited:

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
My desk is still going strong and loving it. Never got a bigger top in the end. The amount of standing I do is probably too much but I am a lot of calls and tend to move around the house and talk. Find that even if I am sitting, as soon as I go on a call I feel the need to stand :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Just got an Uplift desk.
I've been tempted for uplift. I mentioned in another standing desk thread that
a. I have a teak desk that has sentimental value, I bought it something like 40 years ago from a long defunct Scandinavian furniture store
b. I'm not sure how much standing I'll do while I work, once the newness wears off. When I used to work in an office, I would frequently stand, walk around and even put my keyboard up high to type as I stood. I don't know if that habit would reappear.

Reactions: LeeW and SteveJUAE

LeeW

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I'm not sure how much standing I'll do while I work, once the newness wears off. When I used to work in an office, I would frequently stand, walk around and even put my keyboard up high to type as I stood. I don't know if that habit would reappear.

I opened this thread in June 2021 and so far still standing, typing this standing at my desk. I do sit often enough but what I find is that after sitting for a while I want to stand for a while. YMMV but I don't think I could go back to a desk without the option to stand.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Thank you guys for sharing your photos. Some of the sets inspired me to improve my own. I am looking at one manufacturer of adjustable computer desks. They have a fairly wide selection. And they look quite modern. I really don't know what to look for in the first place. This is a rather expensive purchase for me. I wouldn't want to make a mistake with the choice.
Start with Ikea, they have a good selection of configurations and use them as a price benchmark IMO

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
IMG_0274.JPG

2020 MacBook Air M1 running everything. The desk legs are wrapped in clear tape in the event one of my cats has an...ahem...accident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.