Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmedalsagheer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
I need to buy the new iPhone but with a physical SIM tray, which will not be sold in the US.
Did anyone figure out which is the best way to do so? I think shipping from Canada could be a good option but I can't find any online stores that do. Someone suggested buying from Hong Kong, which will cost around an extra $400.
Any possible ways from Canada or other cheaper countries that ship to the US?

P.S: The phone is overpriced or unavailable in many countries.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Id say if you live in US, the best option is to make a trip to Canada and buy your iPhone with SIM tray there. AppleCare should be interchangeable for the most part, and you can even do a in-store pickup or just buy in-store. Hong Kong one might have software feature limited. Other countries, well, all have their price heavily inflated.

Reactions: huanbrother

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Hong Kong one might have software feature limited. Other countries, well, all have their price heavily inflated.
Honk Kong/Macao/Malaysia/Singapore versions aren't software feature limited , it does however have an advantage of dual physical sim slots

Reactions: ahmedalsagheer

ahmedalsagheer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Id say if you live in US, the best option is to make a trip to Canada and buy your iPhone with SIM tray there. AppleCare should be interchangeable for the most part, and you can even do a in-store pickup or just buy in-store. Hong Kong one might have software feature limited. Other countries, well, all have their price heavily inflated.
It can be of the same cost or higher to make the trip, still, I believe all the iPhone versions run iOS 16 and there should be no software differences.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Honk Kong/Macao/Malaysia/Singapore versions aren't software feature limited , it does however have an advantage of dual physical sim slots
Singapore and Malaysia iPhones do not have dual physical sim. Only single sim slot/esim. The Hong Kong and China models are the only dual physical sim. The Hong Kong is the only one you want because other then the dual physical sim, it’s identical to the USA model. Do not get the mainland China model. My husband ordered mine from Expandsys in Hong Kong.

ahmedalsagheer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
I can help purchase a UK iPhone 14. Note that it will be a lot more expensive because of VAT charged here.
It costs 1309 GBP ~ $1415 for the pro max 256 including VAT from the UK, How much do you think it will cost to ship to the US?

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Singapore and Malaysia iPhones do not have dual physical sim. Only single sim slot/esim. The Hong Kong and China models are the only dual physical sim. The Hong Kong is the only one you want because other then the dual physical sim, it’s identical to the USA model. Do not get the mainland China model. My husband ordered mine from Expandsys in Hong Kong.
My 12 pro is from singapore and dual sim and has ZA in its model number

Has this changed for newer models ?

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
My 12 pro is from singapore and dual sim and has ZA in its model number

Has this changed for newer models ?
No, sorry. I meant the Hong Kong model is the only one that is identical as the USA model other than the dual physical sim. The Hong Kong model has all of the USA cellular frequencies capabilities. Sorry for miss speaking.

I use Verizon in the USA on the Hong Kong version

Reactions: calstanford

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Switzerland could be an alternative as prices for electronics are quite competitive (everything else is very expensive over here!) :
- iPhone 14, 128GB, 929 CHF = 938 US$, without shipping and taxes.
- iPhone 14 Plus, 128GB, 1'049 CH = 1'060 US$, without shipping and taxes.

PM me if you'd like to look into this idea further.

Reactions: ahmedalsagheer

ahmedalsagheer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2022
Switzerland could be an alternative as prices for electronics are quite competitive (everything else is very expensive over here!) :
- iPhone 14, 128GB, 929 CHF = 938 US$, without shipping and taxes.
- iPhone 14 Plus, 128GB, 1'049 CH = 1'060 US$, without shipping and taxes.

PM me if you'd like to look into this idea further.
Thanks, I would love to know more about shipping options and cost to the US. I'm new to the forum, how to PM someone?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
It can be of the same cost or higher to make the trip, still, I believe all the iPhone versions run iOS 16 and there should be no software differences.
Japanese model can’t turn shutter sound off. Chinese model can’t use FaceTime audio, so on and so forth.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Canada: I would just wait a month as stocks for store inventory is nonexistent right now especially pro models. When stock finally starts rolling in some cellular small phone companies will set themselves up to take are of you guys - trust me on that…Hehehehee…. A real company - pay by credit card - ship by courier with tracking and so forth.

However, right now any available stock is snapped up by everyone wanting a new iPhone just within miles of any store up here.

Mezoxin

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2022
Japanese model can’t turn shutter sound off. Chinese model can’t use FaceTime audio, so on and so forth.
8BA87C9B-9995-4D34-ADC3-2F9659ED0A6F.png
I can perfectly use both facetime audio and video

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
!!You need be careful when ordering a phone from another country. Because it may not be compatible with all the frequencies that your carrier uses in the USA!! Hong Kong version has FaceTime audio and is compatible with all USA frequencies. You’re taking a risk otherwise

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
Seems quite clear that the Ebay Canada prices reflect the demand from Americans that want/need a SIM tray.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Mainland China model and HK model are identical.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Different countries definitely have slight differences in software. US ios16 hides loud volume warning notifications in accessibility, while other countries have the option to turn it off completely in sound & haptics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.