Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Apple warranty is one thing. But in the EU, you have statutory rights against the seller that will usually last for around 2 years (it's quite vague), and you will lose those rights in practice if you buy from an eBay seller.

Between 12 and about 24 months I can go to the store that sold the iPhone to me (or any other phone), and ask them to fix any problems. Not quite as easy as under warranty, but it will often help. You'll lose that in practice.

With the exception from Apple as no matter how many time a device (that is under Apple Warranty) gets sold the warranty transfers to the buyer - i.e. the warranty follows the serial number.

----------

Apple is hoarding iPhones to send to their stores and starving carriers of products. Happens. Every. Time.
Up here in Canada you can buy an iPhone from any Apple store on launch day (if you want to wait in line) as long as you're willing to buy it unlocked for big $$. Carrier stores get maybe 2 or 3 phones each a day, if that.

That's to punish Canadian cell phone providers - 3 year contracts, the HIGHEST cell phone rates in the world alongside crappy coverage outside major Canadian Cities (ala Rogers).
When I lived in Canada my Rogers bill was $96/month it's now 35% less than that here in California.

colin8651

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I am confused by my order. I got up early to preorder, but kept seeing site down at the apple online store. It took an hour for me to research that the IOS store was online. I got my order in at 4:30EST and was told Oct 1 delivery.

My order says available to ship 7 days which is on or around the 19th so my unit is shipping around release day, but my shipping is 7 to 10 days from that point.

It seems that I would have my phone near release day if I just upgrade my shipping to overnight and pay more. I saw a button on check out saying get your phone faster, but wanted to get my order in ASAP to prevent further delay and assumed they were talking about waiting on a line, but now I am thinking they were talking about overnight shipping.

I tried calling Apple, but after 1.5 hours on hold I gave up. What are the thoughts here? Apple always shipped these pre ordered overnight, but it seems they are shipping 7 to 10.

rantor49

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012
I had the same thoughts. While I wouldn't not buy a phone for a mere $100 extra cost, it does annoy me. The base model spec should have been bumped to 32 GB, avoiding the need for most of us to leap to 64 GB. It would have only cost Apple a couple of bucks per phone, but lost them quite a lot of money in missed upsell potential. I hope a price war does kick off with Android at some point the future. The higher capacity iPhones just carry a ridiculous profit premium, especially now with the 6+.

But you are "leaping" to the 64gb model for the same price as last years 32gb model. Much better deal than a 32gb for the same price.

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
I am confused by my order. I got up early to preorder, but kept seeing site down at the apple online store. It took an hour for me to research that the IOS store was online. I got my order in at 4:30EST and was told Oct 1 delivery.

My order says available to ship 7 days which is on or around the 19th so my unit is shipping around release day, but my shipping is 7 to 10 days from that point.

It seems that I would have my phone near release day if I just upgrade my shipping to overnight and pay more. I saw a button on check out saying get your phone faster, but wanted to get my order in ASAP to prevent further delay and assumed they were talking about waiting on a line, but now I am thinking they were talking about overnight shipping.

I tried calling Apple, but after 1.5 hours on hold I gave up. What are the thoughts here? Apple always shipped these pre ordered overnight, but it seems they are shipping 7 to 10.

That means that they sold out of the launch day models of the device you were looking for, unfortunately. :(

NSXRebel

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2010
But you are "leaping" to the 64gb model for the same price as last years 32gb model. Much better deal than a 32gb for the same price.

Yeah, I don't get people's logic. If you were planning to get the entry model, you still get the same 16gb as the previous model. If you were planning on getting the 32gb model, well now it's doubled to 64gb for the same price. Same goes for the top capacity model. People will gripe and complain just about anything.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Yeah, I don't get people's logic. If you were planning to get the entry model, you still get the same 16gb as the previous model. If you were planning on getting the 32gb model, well now it's doubled to 64gb for the same price. Same goes for the top capacity model. People will gripe and complain just about anything.

In my experience, when there are many possible interpretations of events, people here pick the one that most supports the conclusion they were screwed.

Carmenia83

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2012
Me too. I live in NYC and when I tried to order, I got that same foolish message but I'll be taking my work home with me Thursday evening so that I can wait in line at an AT&T store Fri morning. If you can do the same, I would advise you to do so. Don't order online from other vendors as you are guaranteed not to get it on launch day.

I got one from At&t shipping 9/23-10/2. I love the :apple:iPhone but I'm not standing in line for hours to get a one. It'll come eventually. My 5s will suffice for an extra week or two. Im more annoyed that I wasted my time getting up at 3am to order it and still am not getting it at launch.

kenroberts83

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012

True, but we're not paying extra to upgrade from the A7 to A8, or for the display to increase from 4.0" to 4.7". Seems logical that all specs should increase gradually every year, especially considering the falling cost of storage, and the increasing size of apps and other files. If I resell the 64 GB iPhone 6 next year in order to buy the 6s, I'll only get a small fraction of that $100 investment back. That's why I generally prefer the smallest size possible... but now I think the smallest size is just too small for convenient use.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
One can apply one's own mind to see the similarity in the design to previous iPhones. There is only so much one can do with a phone design that is basically a glass screen all over the front end :). What would they have made it? Triangular? :). They rounded the design (which samsung also did with the galaxy series, but what Apple also did with their previous iPhones). The most important design feature for me is the slim design they have been able to acheive and that to me is the real advantage of the new design. Even with a FIT series spigen case on my iPhone 6 is slimmer than my nexus 5 without the case. The slim profile of the nexus 5 was by far the biggest advantage for me especially with how hard i found to use it one handed with a case on (neo hybrid). Even the 6+ is much thinner than the competition and that to me is going to aid in one handed use. Samsung actually made the GS5 thicker than the GS4 and it would be quite a discussion if apple rolled out the iPhone 6 that was thicker than the iPhone 5. There is virtually nothing that is similar between the galaxy series and the iPhone 6 and 6+. A totally different OS, totally integrated services, Apple Pay, a comprehensive Touch_ID implementation and proper integration between other apple devices. Samsung absolutely sucks when it comes to services and it would be interesting to see what google does with "wallet" but whatever it is it would be fragmented and will take a lot of time to be as smooth as apple pay.

Having an iPhone 6, will it be really safe going out without carrying a wallet THIS YEAR? Moreover, will it work worldwide? This thing looks like Siri. It's barely supported outside the english language world. Another example is NFC which Nokia supports since ~2009 and currently no one knows a smart way of using it. Apple will try something with Apple Pay, but are you really convinced you'll be able to use Apple Pay everywhere you go like you do with a Credit Card? I think it will be a reality in 2017, maybe.

vomhorizon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2013
Having an iPhone 6, will it be really safe going out without carrying a wallet THIS YEAR? Moreover, will it work worldwide?

I am speaking about the US since thats what applies to me. I wouldn't still leave the wallet at home, but a lot of the retailers that have committed to apple pay are where i visit almost weekly (whole foods, Walgreens etc). If apple can totally replace the entire swipe the card business from my transactions at these places thats quite a lot of simplicity in my life. The current vendor base within the US is fairly decent and this will only expand once the companies start using this to their competitive advantage. Returns would/should also be much simpler in the future. Getting this service out internationally is going to be harder, yet the same issues would apply to other technology and/or banking companies doing the implementation and there is absolutely no reason to believe that Samsung can implement services of this nature better internationally than apple and its partners.

This thing looks like Siri. It's barely supported outside the english language world.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-pay-to-invade-china-with-help-from-unionpay-2014-09-11

Unlike SIRI (an apple specific thing), there is a sizable financial incentive for retailers to participate in apple pay or apple pay like services.

Another example is NFC which Nokia supports since ~2009 and currently no one knows a smart way of using it.

And what is to suggest that Nokia or anyone else tried to do what apple is doing? Apple did not look at this through the technology of " hey lets add this NFC thingy to our device and develop some rudimentary capability and call it a day". Apple went beyond and in fact started backwards i.e. developing a relationship with banks, retailers and other financial institutions before offering this capability to its hardware. Moreover, if you look at what apple has done with the Touch_ID acquisition they have worked at solving a problem which others have attempted (other technology companies that compete with apple such as google, nokia, samsung etc) to touch just superficially. Over the last few years they have gone in and acquired a capability (TID), started working with credit card companies, banks and retailers (starting in the US and moving outwards) and developing a simple, more secure and non-intrusive method to make payments through NFC both on the new iPhones and the Apple Watch. Quite different from what Nokia has done or what Samsung did with the whole high profile announcement with Paypal. Its the level of detail that often takes longer and makes apple appear as if it is playing catch up. People were criticizing them for launching touch ID for just apple store and unlock while samsung made a breakthrough agreement with paypal etc etc. All this time apple was working at solving a much deeper problem when it came to secure payment using credit cards and technology. The result is Apple Pay.

Apple will try something with Apple Pay, but are you really convinced you'll be able to use Apple Pay everywhere you go like you do with a Credit Card?

It has to start somewhere, NO? 200K outlets before year end in the US is quite a large size from which to build on. Like I said, this isn't a gimmick that is there to entice customers, if you look at the time and money (authentech) that has gone into this, it is clear that apple is clearly interested and committed in cracking the Next Generation of "payments". Whether high market penetration is achieved in 2015, 2016 or 2017 is rather immaterial. Most of us in the US will benefit to some degree through apple pay before the year end. Expect this to only expand next year (in the US). Chinese companies are also partnering with apple and it appears they are aiming to make headway in other markets as well. Some markets are easier to tackle while others have been traditionally harder (Same was and is the case with iTunes, streaming movies, streaming radio, subscription music and what not) but that doesn't exclude a very large number of people from taking benefit from such service whether that is 4 out of 10 daily transactions or all 10.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
That's to punish Canadian cell phone providers - 3 year contracts, the HIGHEST cell phone rates in the world alongside crappy coverage outside major Canadian Cities (ala Rogers).
When I lived in Canada my Rogers bill was $96/month it's now 35% less than that here in California.

Can attest. My Telus bill is about 90 bucks a month, but it's grandfathered, so I have one of the only unlimited data plans for iPhone in Canada, I think. Cell phones in Canada truly suck for coverage and price.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

I got the same message but my interpretation was different. It says, "Available to ship: 7- 10 business days", which I took to mean, it will ship 7-10 business days AFTER the release date which is Sept 19. That means Nov 29-Oct is when it ships. Thus, the estimated delivery date of Oct 1-Oct 6.

mamak

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2011
beantown
To address some of the current discussions

- bigger phone -
We do so much more on phones now. For some people, their phone is their primary internet device, and while for many of us, the internet is a small part of what a computer does, for the majority, it's the reason for owning a computer - which brings us back to - the bigger the better. I never bought into Apple's line of we make little phones so you can use them one-handed, that was just their excuse for not making larger phones 2 years ago when it was clear, Samsung was getting a disproportionate amount of sales simply because of bigger screens and Apple had dropped the ball on screen size. Masters of spin, Apple turned their failure into a meme that was parroted by fanboys all over the world.

- did anyone get a Plus for delivery on 19th? -
I haven't seen anyone expecting to get a Plus on 19th. I don't think they're available in numbers (per the rumours) IF AT ALL and pre-order is just a way to push buyers out a few weeks, to preserve what little stock they have for stores on launch day.

I'm considering cancelling my order and going to a store, just to see if they have any Plus stock at all. I don't believe they do and the Plus is actually delayed, but Apple didn't have the balls to admit it.

The Plus would have been an outstanding phone 2 years ago, but it's barely adequate this year. As it is, we're stuck with an 8MP camera (that'll be 6 years in a row, and that's just not acceptable in technology, especially at Apple's prices) and 1GB of RAM, which wasn't enough last year and certainly isn't enough this year, much less for 2 years expected life of the phone. Not to mention it makes a mockery of a 64 bit CPU's only advantage being addressing more than 4GB or RAM!

2 years ago there were rumours and mockups of a 5" iPhone, and Apple leaked that expectation away, but it doesn't change the fact that a 5" phone was needed then and 5.5", 8MP, 1GB RAM now, smacks of penny pinching and margin hogging. It also proves the value of the ecosystem, because the specs are laughable.

If Apple didn't do the 5.5, I would have bought a 1520, despite all the downsides I could live with a 20MP camera and an even bigger screen. I use the phone all day and night, and… the bigger the better. Avoiding Google is almost worth the pain of Microsoft.

-Thinness really is important-
You get a lot of people saying make it a few mm thicker and give me 2 days battery life. While I'm the first to complain about camera MP, thinness is really important, partly for weight, but mostly to make larger phones easier to hold and operate. The 5 didn't feel much bigger because reach across the increased screen size was mitigated by a smaller depth dimension.

- my 50¢ worth -
iCloud Wet Dream is looking pretty shaky for iOS 8 and Yosemite.
In one week we've had the total failure of Apple streaming the Event and what somebody called Gruber called "the online store crapping itself so utterly is just embarrassing".

Apple is not inspiring any confidence in their cloud products, yet AGAIN. In fact, it's getting Microsoft ludicrous now - it's bad now, but the next version will be better…

Maybe there was UNPRECEDENTED demand, both on event day and pre-order day, but guess what? There's going to be UNPRECEDENTED demand on iCloud EVERY DAY with iOS8/Yosemite. Google and Amazon don't go down because their entire business depends on it. Apple can pretend their business doesn't depend on cloud services, but increasingly, customer satisfaction will be linked to reliability of Apple's services. See also my comments above about customers paying Apple prices for the services, because the hardware doesn't justify it. iCloud mail doesn't need to be instantaneous, but iMessage CANNOT go down, not even for 30 seconds. Putting photos and all documents in the cloud is going to require UNPRECEDENTED reliability for Apple services, and there's no evidence Apple is capable.

iOS and Yosemite ßetas have not even begun testing iCloud Wet Dream!!! It's clear there will be a staggered rollout, after both OSes are released, but it's all still unknown. The only hard data is that Apple has not succeeded YET, this last week included. And I'm beginning to doubt everything promised will be rolled out, much working with 100% reliability before iOS9 and OS X.11 are due.

If you remember the scene in Hudson Hawk… Things look bad, coach.

If Cook didn't do the equivalent of Jobs' town hall ball-roasting over Mobile Me this week, and have the responsible teams justifying their lives much less their employment, his beloved Customer Sat is going to be deader than the aforementioned co-founder.
And we might as well all have Windows phones because Apple's much loved usability will be a thing of the past.

Being in Australia, brings an interesting perspective to the two failures this week. The stream was 3am, and Apple Australia couldn't provide working streams from the website or for TV. That's just INCONCEIVABLE for 3am !

The store debacle was even more noticeable here because there was no staggered pre-order rollout. Normally New Zealand and Australia, two small populations get the store open at midnight, and stores open progressively as midnight rolls around the globe. For reasons completely unknowable - and no I don't subscribe to incompetence, I always look for conspiracy, before I ascribe incompetence to the smartest company in the world - they deliberately allowed the entire globe to hit the store at once.

This is my take - Apple had no Plus phones, so they moved the pre-order to all-at-once so that the confusion would hide the fact that the Plus wasn't actually available for a month. It's the equivalent of releasing bad news while something else is dominating the news cycle - try to hide it in the confusion. Likely the flack will be even worse this year, and the best option is to go back to last year's option - no pre-order.

The planet should cancel their pre-orders and call Apple's bluff. You can line up at a store, but last year, anyone who rocked up after midday could get anything except a gold phone, no waiting. Show us your stock, Apple!

I think we'll find that this year, the obvious most popular model - plain old 64GB Plus Grey, is as scarce as the gold phone was last year. Everyone wants it and I don't believe there's any stock. Apple is in deep do do, all because they didn't think they could stand the bad PR and lost sales due to a delay on the Plus phones. Even worse, Apple has lost integrity by not being truthful with their customers. Treating customers with that much contempt is the beginning of the end for a company like Apple.

Cook buckles too easily to Wall St, and this has cemented it. Cook has no integrity now, he has no mind and spine of his own, he's controlled by the stock market and internet whingers. Cook told the truth last year - you'll have to wait for the 5s and apparently couldn't handle the flack (it's a way to artificially boost sales of the 5c, etc), because he went "the other way" this year… And that's not good, either for Apple or its customers.

Dare I say it - Jobs had the stones to take it on the chin, because Wall St and internet whingers are just idiots in places of power, but the new gentler Apple wants to make everyone happy, at the risk of losing their essence in the process.

Info was incorrect

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Motorola had a finger swipe sensor on the back of their phones years ago.

Yeah, that was the precise reason why Samsung put the sensor on their phone. It had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the iPhone had a sensor

It's been on laptops for years but swipe reader are more than a decade old technology. Samsung would've added long before S5 and yet they waited until Apple did something.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I applause Apple to causing other non-Apple shipments to cease until we've had out turn first, but there are still delays....

Seems there is no such thing as "no delays", since most won't get there's till October.

Apple probably made more than it's weight in gold, there are just that many more customers who want them.

Apple can never win, can they :)

rdgreen88

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
I just ordered mine this morning, my wife got Delivers: 9/19 by Standard Shipping for the iPhone 6 128GB Gold (GSM). Unfortunately mine says: Delivers: Oct 2 - Oct 7 by Standard Shipping for the iPhone 6 128GB Space Gray (GSM) hopefully they crank out some units and send my phone faster!!!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
By the way, the iPhone 6+ holds some of the original Galaxy Note design.

Look at that "rounded everything" feel.

You can't be serious.

Apple's iPhone 6 and 6+ "copies" Apple's own original design. Which Samsung subsequently copied for the Galaxy and Note. You might remember, that's what the lawsuit was about.

FWIW, Samsung started running a commercial today about how the Note was "ahead of its time". What they probably didn't intend was that it reminds everyone how much the early Note designs copied the original iPhone designs.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I am a little late on this, but I setup a table of all the order estimates from apple.com (Currently US).

http://orderobsession.com/

It was a pain looking at the ship times on the website for all the models. This list is updated automagically every hour. If you are wondering why that domain name, it was something I did back during the iPhone 5 release and the Retina Macbook Pro.

Enjoy!

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I think Apple really ramped it up this year thinking there would be enough, and there still weren't.

And I think they really underestimated the demand of the 6+, from a poll I saw, it seems to be about 50/50 on 6 vs 6+...I'm betting Apple figured it wouldn't be anywhere near that even.

I don't think it is equal as much as people who want the 6+ (like me) really want the 6+. We're taking them at the first shot we can, and our demand will peter out heavily after Christmas.

I'm actually not heartbroken about the delays. Let the bugs get worked out. The first month of iphones always is the problem one!

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
You can't be serious.

Apple's iPhone 6 and 6+ "copies" Apple's own original design. Which Samsung subsequently copied for the Galaxy and Note. You might remember, that's what the lawsuit was about.

FWIW, Samsung started running a commercial today about how the Note was "ahead of its time". What they probably didn't intend was that it reminds everyone how much the early Note designs copied the original iPhone designs.

Typical Samsung fashion.

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
I ordered my iPhone 6 at 12:46am PT 9/12 from AT&T's website and my shipping date is 10/13/14 - 10/31/14. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.