Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
There's mixed reviews about upgrading from the 14PM to the 15PM. 🤔 Yes the 15PM has a 5x optical zoom; is a bit lighter in weight and feels smaller. However, is it better for 14PM users to actually wait for the 16PM next year? Any clues how it will be? Anyone with experience in iPhone upgrades?

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Well I've updated to a 15 Pro Max from a 14 Pro Max and, to be honest, some of the features of the older phone are actually a little better:
- On the 14, iOS is actually more stable. On the new phone I get minor bugs and slowdowns using the camera and Photos app which don't appear on the 14 PM. I know because I had them both using the same software at the same time.
- The 3x zoom on the old phone is actually a little more usable if you're not always very far away from your subject. 5x seems best for outdoors or at events.
- The old phone simply doesn't get as warm.
- The 24MP photos from the new phone look just the same as the old 95% of the time.
- The phones have the exact same screen and seem to run at the exact same speed for normal tasks.

Yeah no real need to upgrade this year. Night mode photos are a little better and you can take portrait pics that also have the 'live' setting turned on which is great if you have kids - that's my reason for the upgrade. If that's not your use case then there are no major benefits.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
New features are hard to come by on phone upgrades. The Ti frame on the 15 is not a big a deal to me. I have never considered the ProMax heavy. The Ti is more for a selling hype and not a Great Leap Forward. I bought the 15 PM for the 5X camera which I love. Not sure what they are going to do for the 16 but see no giant leap so Imsay get the 15 now if you care about the camera. If not keep what you have.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I have moved from 12PM to 15PM. To be true, except 5X zoom (2.5 in 12PM) and Macro capabilities, photos don't make much difference, at least when viewing on mobile screen. I do miss the HDR on/off capabilities I had in 12's camera app. So, it wasn't actually a necessary for me to go for 15PM. So, If you have a 14PM, you don't need a 15PM.

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
This is sort of an end loaded question that will vary from person to person. Everyone values things differently. Its ultimately your money so do what you want. You will always be chasing the latest technology, so the longer you wait, the less time you have to enjoy what's currently available. That being said, if you have the spare cash go for it. I really wouldn't recommend it if I were you to upgrade from the 14 PM unless your one that always like to have the latest and greatest.

Student of Life

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2020
If it's a one year difference you really shouldn't update unless you want to, it's more of a want vs a necessity. Or some crazy trade in deal with your provider that doesn't rip you off etc. UBC C and the 5x zoom are nice but unless there is a size increase or something that would fundamentally change the iPhone experience, there is little need to change from a pervious year model.

Reactions: koigirl

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have been of the view (for several years now) that iPhone upgrades should be done every 2-3 years at least now.
We have reached a peak whereby the small updates do not justify the extra cost for a yearly upgrade cycle. I upgraded from a 13PM to a 15PM, but even then I do not feel like I have had a good upgrade. My 13PM was performing perfectly fine. Had my family not needed newer handsets (they get passed down the chain) then I would have happily stuck with my 13PM for at least another year.

raythompsontn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2023
I say those with the 12 and above should wait.
I upgraded from a 13 Pro. Xfinity offered me $830.00 for my old phone and applied a $370.00 credit to my account. I have no idea why the credit and did not expect the credit. Between the monthly credit (the $830) and the additional credit the phone cost me nothing.

Had it not been for what Xfinity offered me I would not have traded. I find no significant improvements between the 13 Pro and the 15 Pro based on the way I use the phone.

Only the actual user can make the decision and what I, or anyone else does, is of little relevance. Upgrade and be happy. Don't upgrade and be happy.

Reactions: koigirl and Chidoro

Flamingdeathbolts

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2023
Differences are so minimal year to year. I personally upgrade every 3 years and that is when I notice the most improvements in picture quality and smoothness of phone functions.

Reactions: Ralfi

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Yes, especially since next year includes a major form factor update.

In general, it's best to wait at least 3 gens before upgrading. This year is especially true given the 15 is the last of the iPhone 12-style design.

mrmister

Suspended
Dec 19, 2008
If you want to be a yearly upgrader, there's the IUP for that so that you can just always be at the top.

Nordman 52

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
Just made the jump from iPhone 14 PM to 15 PM, and no regrets whatsoever. Hated the 14pm battery, but the 15 PM's looking more solid. The blue titanium is a real showstopper—classy as heck. Experience-wise, it's pretty much the same. Never bother with the action button; gotta hold it down, which just feels like too much effort for a feature I rarely use. I wanna press and boom, something happens.

I'm a serial iPhone swapper, sell 'em for good cash, toss in a couple hundred euros, and voila—the latest model without burning a hole in my pocket. I love dabbling in new tech, so why not? The battery alone on the 15 PM made me forget the 14pm nightmare.

Downsized from 512GB to 256GB this time. Cloud storage is my jam now, and I'm pickier with pics and vids. No more hoarding bulky files that are impossible to find in the chaos of too much stuff.

Y'all, dump that 14PM pronto, and if you've got cash to burn, just mosey on past the 16. The 15PM's a keeper – solid as a Lone Star sunrise. No heating hullabaloo here, and the camera's smoother than a two-step. As for the 14P, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, bless their heart.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Just made the jump from iPhone 14 PM to 15 PM, and no regrets whatsoever. Hated the 14pm battery, but the 15 PM's looking more solid. The blue titanium is a real showstopper—classy as heck. Experience-wise, it's pretty much the same. Never bother with the action button; gotta hold it down, which just feels like too much effort for a feature I rarely use. I wanna press and boom, something happens.

I'm a serial iPhone swapper, sell 'em for good cash, toss in a couple hundred euros, and voila—the latest model without burning a hole in my pocket. I love dabbling in new tech, so why not? The battery alone on the 15 PM made me forget the 14pm nightmare.

Downsized from 512GB to 256GB this time. Cloud storage is my jam now, and I'm pickier with pics and vids. No more hoarding bulky files that are impossible to find in the chaos of too much stuff.

Y'all, dump that 14PM pronto, and if you've got cash to burn, just mosey on past the 16. The 15PM's a keeper – solid as a Lone Star sunrise. No heating hullabaloo here, and the camera's smoother than a two-step. As for the 14P, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, bless their heart.
Interesting cos you posted just the contrary:

„I sold my 14 PM, and now I regret it. This generation is disappointingly underwhelming. Resale values might take a hit next year since many will opt for used 14 Pros or skip this generation and go straight for the 16 Series.“

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
There's mixed reviews about upgrading from the 14PM to the 15PM. 🤔 Yes the 15PM has a 5x optical zoom; is a bit lighter in weight and feels smaller. However, is it better for 14PM users to actually wait for the 16PM next year? Any clues how it will be? Anyone with experience in iPhone upgrades?
Never upgrade from one years flagship to the next years.

The hype train of the 15 series has already passed (unless you’re on websites like this 24/7 with a FOMO frame of mind), so your 14PM is still in the top two iPhones ever released.

If you have more important things to spend money on (chances are you do), do that.

Reactions: Sorinut

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Still loving everything about my 14PM. Sure I'd have liked the weight difference and the extra zoom, but I don't use my phone often enough for it to matter. I was blabbing on about the 5x zoom and how I was thinking of upgrading after only a year and a friend asked me how many pictures I actually take with my phone that would benefit from it. Definitely not enough to justify an upgrade of a phone that is still amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.