Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
There's mixed reviews about upgrading from the 14PM to the 15PM. 🤔 Yes the 15PM has a 5x optical zoom; is a bit lighter in weight and feels smaller. However, is it better for 14PM users to actually wait for the 16PM next year? Any clues how it will be? Anyone with experience in iPhone upgrades?
The 15 PM is a substantially better phone than 14 P; the 16 PM will no doubt be better still. Unequivocally. However whether upgrading is worthwhile is a personal financial decision. I chose to upgrade 14P-->15PM and consider it a very worthy upgrade. YMMV.

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro

Clamjuice65

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2023
If you have a 13PM or 14PM keep your device save your money . Now If your carrier is giving crazy credits for your older devices and dont mine being locked in 2+ yrs to receive the credit then by all means upgrade

Surfsalot

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2023
Every year they are a bit better, but other than a supposedly better camera bit faster, they do exactly the same thing.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
There's mixed reviews about upgrading from the 14PM to the 15PM. 🤔 Yes the 15PM has a 5x optical zoom; is a bit lighter in weight and feels smaller. However, is it better for 14PM users to actually wait for the 16PM next year? Any clues how it will be? Anyone with experience in iPhone upgrades?
If you are an avid photographer, then I’d say yes to the upgrade. I’m a photographer and I can tell a big difference in camera Quality, The average user will not. As a photographer, I have a trained eye for detail, color, & quality of the imaging sensor of the camera. I believe the new sensor of the 1x camera is around 1” which is 20-25% larger than the sensor in the 14 pro max. Night mode is much better, especially when shooting the night sky.

The 5x camera with its new 25% larger sensor and higher ISO sensitivity is very helpful and more useful to me. The 3x on the 14 pro / Pro max is only good in good lighting, otherwise it’s noisy and remains unchanged since the iPhone 12 Pro. So for me, I upgraded specifically for the better camera quality. The look and feel of the new iPhone is a bonus.

I actually had to put a 15 pro max in my hands to test the camera and to see if there was any significant difference over the 14 pro series camera because I wasn’t planning to upgrade. Doing so changed my mind. I take a lot of photos with my iPhone and use ProRAW exclusively along with other third party apps to give me more creative control over my cameras. Sometimes external lighting for portrait photography is used. So if you fit this category and level of photography, then I’d say upgrade, otherwise the 16 pro series will be best to wait for.

• Haha
Reactions: Phillyphil0302

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
No one who has last year's flagship ever needs to upgrade to the current one. Keep your phone for 2 or 3 years, or even longer. There's no reason to spend several hundred dollars every year (assuming you sell or trade in your old phone, more if you don't) just for an imperceptibly better processor, camera, and a few other minor things. Then in less than a year the 16PM will come and you'll want that. It's just the shiny new toy effect.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
If you are an avid photographer, then I’d say yes to the upgrade. I’m a photographer and I can tell a big difference in camera Quality, The average user will not. As a photographer, I have a trained eye for detail, color, & quality of the imaging sensor of the camera. I believe the new sensor of the 1x camera is around 1” which is 20-25% larger than the sensor in the 14 pro max. Night mode is much better, especially when shooting the night sky.

The 5x camera with its new 25% larger sensor and higher ISO sensitivity is very helpful and more useful to me. The 3x on the 14 pro / Pro max is only good in good lighting, otherwise it’s noisy and remains unchanged since the iPhone 12 Pro. So for me, I upgraded specifically for the better camera quality. The look and feel of the new iPhone is a bonus.

I actually had to put a 15 pro max in my hands to test the camera and to see if there was any significant difference over the 14 pro series camera because I wasn’t planning to upgrade. Doing so changed my mind. I take a lot of photos with my iPhone and use ProRAW exclusively along with other third party apps to give me more creative control over my cameras. Sometimes external lighting for portrait photography is used. So if you fit this category and level of photography, then I’d say upgrade, otherwise the 16 pro series will be best to wait for.
Sorry, but the main 1x camera sensor between the 14 Pro and 15 Pro is the exact same Sony IMX803 48 MP quad bayer sensor.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
If you are an avid photographer, then I’d say yes to the upgrade.

If you're an avid photographer, then you're using a real camera. A mirrorless, or even an older DSLR (like I have) will smoke any phone camera, from any company, anytime of the day.

Reactions: Surfsalot

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I upgrade my phone annually as an annual tradition. So, I upgraded my iPhone 14 Pro Max to 15 pro max. Despite no major changes, I love it. Awesome lighter weight.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
If you're an avid photographer, then you're using a real camera. A mirrorless, or even an older DSLR (like I have) will smoke any phone camera, from any company, anytime of the day.
Yes but the iPhone is way more fun to use!!
I have a Sony A7RV with the 50mm f/1.2 GM, the Sigma 85mm DG DN, and the Sigma 105mm f/1.4, all fast glass.

I like to push my iPhone to the limit and see what I can do. A majority of the time, I can out shoot photographers with DSLR’s with just my iPhone. Yeah, I’m that good.

Reactions: Student of Life

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Sorry, but the main 1x camera sensor between the 14 Pro and 15 Pro is the exact same Sony IMX803 48 MP quad bayer sensor.
I’m not sure, the sensor on the 1x 15 pro max shows a different flare (reflection within the sensor) compared to the 14 pro. The iPhone 15 pro / max sensor reveals more low light details and has more dynamic range. Yes it’s still 48mp and it’s better. Software can only do so much.

nathasnajperowa

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2016
I'm in the minority, but I definitely like stainless steel and its premium feel compared to titanium, which only covers 1mm of the frame.
Titanium is great for a watch where its weight on the wrist is important, I really like the stainless steel in the iPhone 14 PM, as well as the deep purple color.
The iPhone 15 PM is made of aluminum like the non-pro series, only with a titanium coating on the frames. The inner frame/plate is aluminum.
The iPhone 14 PM is built like a tank - the outer frames are made of stainless steel, and the inner frame/plate is also made of stainless steel.
Additionally, it has a more durable structure in drop and bend tests.
I think that these design flaws will disappear in the 16 PM model, so I prefer to wait for additional benefits such as USB-C and a better camera, as well as improved durability of the device structure and better passive cooling.
Stick with my 14 PM and wait for 16 PM

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Well, that's probably true for professionals in that profession, but have you seen some of ToddH's photos with his iPhone's?
My favorite internet picture was a portrait of a coal mine worker taken at the beach on a film camera in 1984. No way to tell that headshot was not a digital camera - it looked sharp and great.

For newbie, used sony camera with lens + m1 air can do much more for $1200 versus having just 1 phone. Even then, ToddH is invested in gear, which again outweighs the cost of just an iphone. At the same pace scary fast was shot on iphone 15 pros, but regular person wouldn’t be able to replicate the lights used there with a cost in hundred thousand dollars.

parajba

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
I have the PM14 and my wife just got the 15PM. It’s really the same phone. Circa 20g lighter, same screen, can’t see any difference in performance, I will surely wait. I mean, it’s very nice, but so is the PM14.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Good photographer’s don’t shoot with iPhones
Dumb! Who lied to you about that? A photographer like myself can out shoot or do just as well against a photographer with a Sony or Nikon using my iPhone. I’ve already done that. Sure there are lens limitations, but seriously, strange comment! The iPhone is seriously underestimated these days.

Did you know that the October Apple event for the new MacBook Pro laptop was shot entirely on the iPhone 15 Pro Max?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.