Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I have to admit, its gotten progressively worse. I'm usually more blown away by Alexa on my $35 Firestick than Siri my iPhone 14 Pro Max.

It's still useful, but its gotten increasingly hit or miss. Some of the most clear statements do the right thing one time, and something else the next, totally unrelated to what you asked.

Probably not directly related to Siri, but Homekit lights get screwed up for me all the time on my HomePod. A Siri command on my mobile devices or Apple TV will trigger a light as expected, but that same phrase on my Homepod tells me something is wrong. I think it has something to do with Shortcuts somehow, but I'm not sure. I had a Siri command set up with an app that was deleted, and I think my Homepod is trying to apply my voice command to the shortcut action tied to that app but no longer exists, instead of recognizing the app is gone and it should honor the names of my Homekit accessories. Deleting the App and Shortcut did not restore the Siri command that works on all other devices.

Reactions: newyorksole

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
The worst thing Apple has ever released - "It just [doesn't] work"

And by extension, Homekit is still horrible. I have 2 Homepods and 3 minis, and not of it has ever worked effciently.
There is always Apple maps.

goji99

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2017
Literally all I want from Siri is for it to understand multiple commands in one sentence and most importantly bilingual support. We speak a mix of English and Spanish at home, and if I want to ask Siri to play a song with a title name in Spanish, I have to say it in broken Spanish with what I call a "gringo accent" 😅...and even then it's unlikely it'll work on the first try.
I gotta say though, until the recent update, I'd always get a kick out of hearing English Siri attempt to read back Spanish text messages sent to me from my mother lol.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I really don’t understand the absolute fixation on Siri here.

Occasionally I ask it to call someone or set a timer. What other things do I need an “assistant” for in my daily life?

For those who compare it to things like chatGPT, are you looking for Siri to write essays for you or something?

Downvotes are easy, maybe explain what you actually want out of a “new” Siri? If I could go back to the Voice Commands prior to Siri I would 🤷‍♂️

I would too if only because they actually worked.

They made a bold promise 13 years ago that they have miserably failed on. And one that today looks almost easy. The bar is so low. It's not so much a fixation, as one of the last major "wtf is this" leftover parts of the iPhone that's not received an update.

As the article says, it's become far more stark as a problem in recent years. ChatGPT is not the same thing, but its understanding and response just show how little Siri has changed in over a decade.

So yeah, they either need to just scrap it entirely, or start over completely. At this point it is positively vestigial. Worse than vestigial.

I too ask it for only basic things like timers, or turning on lights. And I have zero confidence it will work, every time I do it. If I had to count it probably works perfectly 80-90% of the time. But that's enough to make me uncertain. Imagine if your car or computer only worked 90% of the time, tops. You'd replace it.

carswell

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2023
There is always Apple maps.
At least Apple Maps, unlike Siri, has gotten much better since the early fiasco. I'm often choosing it over Google Maps these days, finding the latter way too cluttered. Siri is still a fiasco.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
If you're actually open to expanding your view on this and understanding the potential people see in voice assistants, then I can tell you that you're exhibiting a poor understanding of what voice assistants are for. Watch the 30 year old video embedded in the article that inspired the developers of Siri, and Steve Jobs in acquiring it, and you'll get a better idea.

Want specific use cases?

• I recently had to plan a complex trip involving half a dozen stops with between 20 to 30 possible cities in which I could stop. I set chatGPT on my kitchen table and spent an hour speaking with it in natural language, with long pauses in between, suddenly remembering some possibilities while I was cooking and just speaking as if I was talking with a person with access to all the knowledge of the internet. It helped me pick my itinerary in a collaborative fashion, with a complex series of requisites. I seriously would've spent days iterating on this plan, spending tons of time on my own googling destinations, reading blogs, looking up weather patterns and I still wouldn't have thought of everything.

• My team and I had a sudden problem on Black Friday when one of our top SKUs developed a packaging issue. We had the same product in a sample size that could meet demand for the popular product so we sat down to work the problem and re-brand multiples of the sample sizes as a limited edition travel kit. We had a basic idea but given the urgency to fix the problem, we didn't have time to iterate on it – we needed it solved immediately. I took out my phone, put in the middle of the team and we collaborated on brainstorming, with chatGPT acting as an idea taker, and bouncing off options. It didnt solve the problem for us, instead it helped us work together by making connections between the team members' ideas and coming to a single solution. It didnt replace us, it became a powerful tool to improve how we worked.

• Last one: Siri's initial solution was to take requests and go out and take care of the details, saving you time, serving as a memory notetaker and researcher of your own life, while preserving privacy by doing it all on device.
User: I'd like to go out for dinner tonight, there was this place I passed by last week. I took a picture of it, it had a red umbrella, remember?​
Siri: I found it in your pictures. That was Sandro's Kitchen, you passed by on Thursday. Would you like me to book a reservation for two tonight at 8? I see that you're off work at 5. That should give you a few hours to get home, get ready and arrive at 8.​
User: Yes. Wait.. let's do 7:30. I want to grab a bottle of wine on the way.​
Siri: I've reserved a table for two at Sandro's Kitchen for 7:30 and added it to your Calendar, with an itinerary with a stop over at a wine store.​

Impossible with the old Siri, this is now a completely realistic scenario, made even more powerful by Apple's access to all of your data, including photos, maps, calendar, contacts and apps like OpenTable. It's not about making mashed up photos or writing essays for you, it's about serving as an actual assistant so you can spend your time doing more enjoyable things.
What's with the pointed attitude? You found some extremely useful use-cases, professionally, for chatGPT. That's great!

Personally, for my line of work, I'd have some qualms about using personal device AI for work functions but that's an aside that's not really relevant here...

Regarding your Siri outline, that's more in line with what I expect Apple is working on. Again, not something I'd ever be personally using, but there's a concrete use-case there that resides outside the hype-cycle with AI that is clearly happening in the news and Wall Street.

Reactions: gusmula

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
You found some extremely useful use-cases, professionally, for chatGPT. That's great!

Personally, for my line of work, I'd have some qualms about using personal device AI for work functions but that's an aside that's not really relevant here...

Regarding your Siri outline, that's more in line with what I expect Apple is working on. Again, not something I'd ever be personally using, but there's a concrete use-case there that resides outside the hype-cycle with AI that is clearly happening in the news and Wall Street.

I typically don't mix my personal life with work, but chatGPT doesn't have access to my Apple ecosystem data so I use it across both as a tool with access to internet knowledge, not necessarily my own, other than what I tell it, sandboxed in individual conversations.

We're built on Google Workspace at work so we've started integrating Gemini into our workflows. In Shopify, we use Magic and Sidekick. We have a small team and limited resources to hire until we scale way up. Leveraging AI has enabled us to shift some of our team members away from the mundane tasks and customer support interactions to more productive – and in their opinion more gratifying – roles. It's been a game changer, all positives, no negatives.

In my personal life, I'm very much looking forward to consolidating the chatGPT roles I've quickly integrated into my life, back into native Apple, where Apple will have access to the full breadth of my data and usage history across all my devices. I trust it to preserve my privacy, unlike chatGPT.

This isn't just Wall Street "hype". I'm always thrown off to find people unaware of the potential of this technology. People don't realize how much things are about to change. That 30 year old video is just the tip of the iceberg. This will be bigger than the command line to GUI transition, bigger than PCs to smartphones.

Rockin Robin

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
London, UK
Siri, play some jazz is the limit of my use. For radio, control, weather, news please consider Alexa. If you ask Siri the height of Everest, it sends you a link. Hapless!

Apple2501

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
Impossible. It’s never worked so you can’t kill it. 18 is supposed to be onboard, but does that mean it won’t have access to the internet for answers? So it’s just gonna try to set calendars and text people. The problem is we all thought we were getting a personal assistant but instead we got a glorified speak and spell.

Kay_Ess

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2022
If human users were smart enough to know what Siri can do we wouldn't be discussing this. Siri is perfect if you know what it can do. Simple.
I know it can’t tell me what it can do. It can’t even give me examples of what it can do, let alone examples of what other Apple apps can do.

jdoyle

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
Siri as a product/feature name is so on the nose and a metaphor for frustrating interaction with devices. I say scrap it and start over.

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2020
51.531011,-0.023979
I don’t think Apple should kill Siri or rename it. Everyone knows the name and so is a brand in itself. Making improvements with AI and showing off what Siri can now do will change the image of Siri. The same thing happened to Maps; it was unusable when it came out but now is a viable option, rather than Apple giving up on it.

I have found Siri more useful and intelligible than when it came out initially. Yes, the improvements and have been slow and few and far between, but has gotten better. I don’t think it is worth it for Apple to publicly admit Siri is a failure by changing the name when it can still improve it and turn it around

Reactions: Fraserpatty and nnc

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Short Answer: Yes
Long Answer: Yes

Using Siri is such a frustrating and unsatisfying experience.
it’s pretty sad. I have 4 HomePods/minis. each since they first launched and they started out great. Siri wasn’t bad.

I expected them to improve over time and the HomePods along with Siri in general are just so damn annoying and getting worse and worse.

all I use Siri for is to play music and tell me the weather. it feels like Apple just doesn’t even care about either product.

if Siri and all of the HomePods don’t get better this year then I’m switching to something else.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
With fire.
Every time i have a run-in with Siri, it feels like using a 2007 service that never worked as well as a 1997 text-to-speech application. Every time i see an instsll trying to turn it on by default, i’m always surprised it still exists.

i think originally twas supposed to learn from our speech & lingo. Instead it seems to have devolved to an illiterate 7yo. I wonder if as ai floods the web with regurgitated watered-down aggregated content & seo hijacking, it poisons its own well and the whole of the internet becomes a useless, forgettable landfill.

Last edited:

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
Siri is an easy name to call, the problem is behind it and it's where Apple should work to improve it.

Reactions: Fraserpatty

Barcamatic

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2023
Please kill it. I’ve been an Apple user since the first Macintosh was released. Siri is by far the most frustrating experience I’ve ever had with any Apple product. If Apple decides not to take swift action it will surely fall so far behind even the most loyal user will eventually jump ship to less frustrating and more useful platforms.

DFWHD

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
Kill it and start over. For my family, it is a joke and useless. Half the time it does something different than what we ask it (play a song, send a text, get directions...). I guess that means she "thinks different" :)

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Siri, play some jazz is the limit of my use. For radio, control, weather, news please consider Alexa. If you ask Siri the height of Everest, it sends you a link. Hapless!
Your Siri is dumber than mine. Just asked my HomePod the height of Mount Everest and I got an answer in less than a second. Same with iPhone.

Reactions: nnc

Speller23

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2018

Few features have promised to revolutionize the way we interact with our Apple devices as much as Siri, the company's ubiquitous virtual assistant. Launched in 2011, Siri was introduced as heralding a new era in human-computer interaction, offering an intuitive voice-controlled interface for accessing information, scheduling appointments, sending messages, and much more. The vision was grand: A personal assistant in your pocket, capable of understanding and acting upon a wide array of voice commands with ease and accuracy. So what happened?

Should-Apple-Kill-Siri-Feature.jpg

Enthusiasm for Siri has undeniably waned in the intervening years. Despite regular updates and improvements from Apple, Siri has struggled to keep pace with its advancing rivals, and in an era of generative AI chatbots and large language models, Siri's failings have only been magnified. Issues ranging from misinterpreted commands to limited contextual understanding have not only hindered Siri's usability but have also led to an almost universal perception of the virtual assistant as a source of user frustration rather than assistance. This persistent underperformance begs the question: Is it time for Apple to kill Siri and start over?

Siri's Birth Pangs

Siri's conceptual roots at Apple can be traced back to the company's early exploration of human-computer interaction. Thirty years ago, Apple commissioned a group of employees to create a video showing how in the future humans might interact with computers using spoken language. The video, known as "Knowledge Navigator," featured a professor chatting with a virtual assistant to perform everyday tasks and academic research. In one of the tasks, the professor asks the assistant to search for a five-year-old publication. The assistant pulls up an article dated 2006, suggesting the video is supposed to be set in September 2011.

The video was criticized at the time for being an unrealistic portrayal of the capacities of a virtual assistant in the foreseeable future. Yet the demonstration inspired developers Adam Cheyer, Dag Kittlaus, and Tom Gruber, who began AI research on virtual assistants at SRI International, a DARPA-funded research laboratory in Menlo Park, California. Their work would result in a spin-out called Siri, named by Kittlaus after a co-worker in Norway. (Siri is short for Sigrid, which has its origins in Old Norse for words meaning "victory" and "beautiful".)

In February 2010, Kittlaus launched Siri as an app on Apple's App Store. Steve Jobs soon began playing with the app and was impressed with how it allowed the user to search the internet by voice. A few weeks later, Apple acquired the start-up. Siri's AI backend was in place, while its voice recognition technology would be supplied by Nuance Communications. Apple subsequently released its Siri virtual assistant (in beta) for the iPhone 4S in October 2011, just one month later than the fictional future in which Knowledge Navigator had been originally envisioned.

Fiction vs. Reality

Apple marketed Siri as more than just a tool — it was your intelligent assistant ready to help with a variety of tasks. Whether setting reminders, sending texts, making phone calls, or finding information online, Siri aimed to streamline it all with a simple voice command. There was nothing like it at the time and the initial results were impressive, but the underlying promise was that Siri would not only understand you but also learn from you, becoming more efficient and personalized over time.

siri-phil-schiller.jpeg

Regular iOS updates in the intervening years have worked towards making Siri more effective and realizing its original promise. Whenever a new iOS feature comes along, Apple usually ensures that it works with Siri, and these days it can be used to identify songs, get driving directions, send money via Apple Pay, and control HomeKit products, to name just a few of its skills. In 2021, Apple announced that Siri would work offline by default – whenever possible, it would process user requests on-device, with the same quality of server-based speech recognition.

siri-iphone-4s-examples.jpg

However, even now, the assistant that was supposed to understand context and grow with the user still faces significant challenges with context, understanding, and integration, regardless of whether it pings Apple's servers or processes requests locally. Many Apple device owners often say it struggles with even basic commands. Indeed, many users believe that, at least in some areas, Siri's abilities have gotten worse over time, especially since the release of iOS 17.

Michael Tsai's blog has done a good job of recording users' more recent frustrations with Siri. Here are just a handful of serial issues some users have recently reported:
  • Setting timers instead of alarms.
  • Bungling music requests (even for purchases that Siri has local access to).
  • Delayed responses over fast data connections.
  • Nonsense responses to conversion requests.
  • Creating notes instead of reminders.
  • Acknowledging requests without acting on them.
  • Overwrought punctuation when dictating.
  • Inability to consistently control smart devices.
The list could go on. But has Siri really gotten more stupid? Could most issues be put down to fringe use cases, or over-expectations in a brave new world of chatbots powered by immensely resource-heavy large-language models? Consider what Walt Mossberg said in 2016, writing for The Verg... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Should Apple Kill Siri and Start Over?

Few features have promised to revolutionize the way we interact with our Apple devices as much as Siri, the company's ubiquitous virtual assistant. Launched in 2011, Siri was introduced as heralding a new era in human-computer interaction, offering an intuitive voice-controlled interface for accessing information, scheduling appointments, sending messages, and much more. The vision was grand: A personal assistant in your pocket, capable of understanding and acting upon a wide array of voice commands with ease and accuracy. So what happened?

Should-Apple-Kill-Siri-Feature.jpg

Enthusiasm for Siri has undeniably waned in the intervening years. Despite regular updates and improvements from Apple, Siri has struggled to keep pace with its advancing rivals, and in an era of generative AI chatbots and large language models, Siri's failings have only been magnified. Issues ranging from misinterpreted commands to limited contextual understanding have not only hindered Siri's usability but have also led to an almost universal perception of the virtual assistant as a source of user frustration rather than assistance. This persistent underperformance begs the question: Is it time for Apple to kill Siri and start over?

Siri's Birth Pangs

Siri's conceptual roots at Apple can be traced back to the company's early exploration of human-computer interaction. Thirty years ago, Apple commissioned a group of employees to create a video showing how in the future humans might interact with computers using spoken language. The video, known as "Knowledge Navigator," featured a professor chatting with a virtual assistant to perform everyday tasks and academic research. In one of the tasks, the professor asks the assistant to search for a five-year-old publication. The assistant pulls up an article dated 2006, suggesting the video is supposed to be set in September 2011.

The video was criticized at the time for being an unrealistic portrayal of the capacities of a virtual assistant in the foreseeable future. Yet the demonstration inspired developers Adam Cheyer, Dag Kittlaus, and Tom Gruber, who began AI research on virtual assistants at SRI International, a DARPA-funded research laboratory in Menlo Park, California. Their work would result in a spin-out called Siri, named by Kittlaus after a co-worker in Norway. (Siri is short for Sigrid, which has its origins in Old Norse for words meaning "victory" and "beautiful".)

In February 2010, Kittlaus launched Siri as an app on Apple's App Store. Steve Jobs soon began playing with the app and was impressed with how it allowed the user to search the internet by voice. A few weeks later, Apple acquired the start-up. Siri's AI backend was in place, while its voice recognition technology would be supplied by Nuance Communications. Apple subsequently released its Siri virtual assistant (in beta) for the iPhone 4S in October 2011, just one month later than the fictional future in which Knowledge Navigator had been originally envisioned.

Fiction vs. Reality

Apple marketed Siri as more than just a tool — it was your intelligent assistant ready to help with a variety of tasks. Whether setting reminders, sending texts, making phone calls, or finding information online, Siri aimed to streamline it all with a simple voice command. There was nothing like it at the time and the initial results were impressive, but the underlying promise was that Siri would not only understand you but also learn from you, becoming more efficient and personalized over time.

siri-phil-schiller.jpeg

Regular iOS updates in the intervening years have worked towards making Siri more effective and realizing its original promise. Whenever a new iOS feature comes along, Apple usually ensures that it works with Siri, and these days it can be used to identify songs, get driving directions, send money via Apple Pay, and control HomeKit products, to name just a few of its skills. In 2021, Apple announced that Siri would work offline by default – whenever possible, it would process user requests on-device, with the same quality of server-based speech recognition.

siri-iphone-4s-examples.jpg

However, even now, the assistant that was supposed to understand context and grow with the user still faces significant challenges with context, understanding, and integration, regardless of whether it pings Apple's servers or processes requests locally. Many Apple device owners often say it struggles with even basic commands. Indeed, many users believe that, at least in some areas, Siri's abilities have gotten worse over time, especially since the release of iOS 17.

Michael Tsai's blog has done a good job of recording users' more recent frustrations with Siri. Here are just a handful of serial issues some users have recently reported:
  • Setting timers instead of alarms.
  • Bungling music requests (even for purchases that Siri has local access to).
  • Delayed responses over fast data connections.
  • Nonsense responses to conversion requests.
  • Creating notes instead of reminders.
  • Acknowledging requests without acting on them.
  • Overwrought punctuation when dictating.
  • Inability to consistently control smart devices.
The list could go on. But has Siri really gotten more stupid? Could most issues be put down to fringe use cases, or over-expectations in a brave new world of chatbots powered by immensely resource-heavy large-language models? Consider what Walt Mossberg said in 2016, writing for The Verg... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Should Apple Kill Siri and Start Over?
eh? Maybe start with itunes first????

elliotmoore91

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2019
With all this attention around A.I and the fact that Apple is trying to build on this further, I honestly think it would be a great opportunity to scrap Siri in its entirety and introduce a new one.

Siri's reputation among its customers and the industry in general is just embarrassing. To the point where is barely offers value, especially when compared to competitors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.