Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Similar story here. I've been working in telecom and tech since the late '90s, including speech recognition. Great living but not something I get excited about. Tech is just a tool for me.

I agree it's a tool. I want AI like the AI in Star Trek. Something to be my actual assistant. Something that learns who I am and then suggests responding to emails with a sample email I can tweak. Or something I can brainstorm with.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've used Siri. I can set a timer or a reminder in seconds. Does Siri really make it more convenient? I haven't found any compelling uses for it.
Handsfree timers when cooking are my main use of Siri lol

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
"Hey Siri, should Apple kill Siri and start over"

"I found this on the web for should Apple kill siri and start over. CHECK IT OUT". :rolleyes:

I tried to send my partner a text message from my Apple Watch Ultra via Siri walking into the coffee shop this morning. Area is 100 yds visible line of sight to a cell tower. It just froze after I said "hey Siri".

Siri is useless for all but the most basic tasks at this point, and even then it usually drops the ball. To the point where it's annoying to use it. So I typically don't use it. When I do, I'm almost always disappointed.

This "feature" has reached the point where it makes total sense to scrap it and start over. Like Windows 95. Siri is Windows ME at this point.

Kill it. Kill it with fire.

humblecoder

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2010
Are people just expecting too much from Siri?

I use Siri mainly for stuff like turning on and adjusting homekit accessories, setting timers, simple reminders, and so on. It works 98% of the time, and the other 2% is simply because it didn't hear me well due to noise in the environment or Bluetooth issues.

I think the problem is people want their computers to think for them, which almost never goes well. And believe me, using "AI" isn't going to make it much better. It'll seem better but make far more mistakes.
I mean, I'd simply like a bit more "offline" capability, and for it to stop assuming any name I say must come from my Contacts:

"I'm sorry, I don't see a [new client] in your contacts. Did you mean ...?"

No, Siri, I meant exactly what I said. Your context is just bad.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Siri could have been (and actually WAS) so much more than what Apple made Siri out to be. It's sad and pathetic what Apple did to a once great app

Reactions: macaddiict

idahohand

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
Austin, TX

Few features have promised to revolutionize the way we interact with our Apple devices as much as Siri, the company's ubiquitous virtual assistant. Launched in 2011, Siri was introduced as heralding a new era in human-computer interaction, offering an intuitive voice-controlled interface for accessing information, scheduling appointments, sending messages, and much more. The vision was grand: A personal assistant in your pocket, capable of understanding and acting upon a wide array of voice commands with ease and accuracy. So what happened?

Should-Apple-Kill-Siri-Feature.jpg

Enthusiasm for Siri has undeniably waned in the intervening years. Despite regular updates and improvements from Apple, Siri has struggled to keep pace with its advancing rivals, and in an era of generative AI chatbots and large language models, Siri's failings have only been magnified. Issues ranging from misinterpreted commands to limited contextual understanding have not only hindered Siri's usability but have also led to an almost universal perception of the virtual assistant as a source of user frustration rather than assistance. This persistent underperformance begs the question: Is it time for Apple to kill Siri and start over?

Siri's Birth Pangs

Siri's conceptual roots at Apple can be traced back to the company's early exploration of human-computer interaction. Thirty years ago, Apple commissioned a group of employees to create a video showing how in the future humans might interact with computers using spoken language. The video, known as "Knowledge Navigator," featured a professor chatting with a virtual assistant to perform everyday tasks and academic research. In one of the tasks, the professor asks the assistant to search for a five-year-old publication. The assistant pulls up an article dated 2006, suggesting the video is supposed to be set in September 2011.

The video was criticized at the time for being an unrealistic portrayal of the capacities of a virtual assistant in the foreseeable future. Yet the demonstration inspired developers Adam Cheyer, Dag Kittlaus, and Tom Gruber, who began AI research on virtual assistants at SRI International, a DARPA-funded research laboratory in Menlo Park, California. Their work would result in a spin-out called Siri, named by Kittlaus after a co-worker in Norway. (Siri is short for Sigrid, which has its origins in Old Norse for words meaning "victory" and "beautiful".)

In February 2010, Kittlaus launched Siri as an app on Apple's App Store. Steve Jobs soon began playing with the app and was impressed with how it allowed the user to search the internet by voice. A few weeks later, Apple acquired the start-up. Siri's AI backend was in place, while its voice recognition technology would be supplied by Nuance Communications. Apple subsequently released its Siri virtual assistant (in beta) for the iPhone 4S in October 2011, just one month later than the fictional future in which Knowledge Navigator had been originally envisioned.

Fiction vs. Reality

Apple marketed Siri as more than just a tool — it was your intelligent assistant ready to help with a variety of tasks. Whether setting reminders, sending texts, making phone calls, or finding information online, Siri aimed to streamline it all with a simple voice command. There was nothing like it at the time and the initial results were impressive, but the underlying promise was that Siri would not only understand you but also learn from you, becoming more efficient and personalized over time.

siri-phil-schiller.jpeg

Regular iOS updates in the intervening years have worked towards making Siri more effective and realizing its original promise. Whenever a new iOS feature comes along, Apple usually ensures that it works with Siri, and these days it can be used to identify songs, get driving directions, send money via Apple Pay, and control HomeKit products, to name just a few of its skills. In 2021, Apple announced that Siri would work offline by default – whenever possible, it would process user requests on-device, with the same quality of server-based speech recognition.

siri-iphone-4s-examples.jpg

However, even now, the assistant that was supposed to understand context and grow with the user still faces significant challenges with context, understanding, and integration, regardless of whether it pings Apple's servers or processes requests locally. Many Apple device owners often say it struggles with even basic commands. Indeed, many users believe that, at least in some areas, Siri's abilities have gotten worse over time, especially since the release of iOS 17.

Michael Tsai's blog has done a good job of recording users' more recent frustrations with Siri. Here are just a handful of serial issues some users have recently reported:
  • Setting timers instead of alarms.
  • Bungling music requests (even for purchases that Siri has local access to).
  • Delayed responses over fast data connections.
  • Nonsense responses to conversion requests.
  • Creating notes instead of reminders.
  • Acknowledging requests without acting on them.
  • Overwrought punctuation when dictating.
  • Inability to consistently control smart devices.
The list could go on. But has Siri really gotten more stupid? Could most issues be put down to fringe use cases, or over-expectations in a brave new world of chatbots powered by immensely resource-heavy large-language models? Consider what Walt Mossberg said in 2016, writing for The Verg... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Should Apple Kill Siri and Start Over?
I will happily give my opinion...I use Siri every day and love it. It recognizes my voice when used on HomePods to create reminders, appointments, etc. on my account instead of my wife's. It controls my HomeKit devices at our home and our investment properties with ease. It isn't perfect. It sometimes mis-hears what I say especially related to music selections. But overall, Siri is indispensable to me. Can't imagine driving without using Siri to read/respond to texts, set destinations, call people, etc. It has been of benefit to me. When people complain about it, I love to listen to how they interact with it. So often they will be using phrases that are incredibly unclear, or speak way too quickly that even a human cannot understand what they are saying. IMO people just need to slow down and speak clearly and Siri will do so many great things. Besides if Alexa is the alternative, then I am out of the digital assistant market. I value my privacy and trust Apple to protect it.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I only use it for kitchen timers and probably only 50% of the time. I did use it more for texting in the early days and to be fair it can be quick but I think I found it as more of a gimmick.

ApAx

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2023
United States
I really don’t understand the absolute fixation on Siri here.

Occasionally I ask it to call someone or set a timer. What other things do I need an “assistant” for in my daily life?

For those who compare it to things like chatGPT, are you looking for Siri to write essays for you or something?

Downvotes are easy, maybe explain what you actually want out of a “new” Siri? If I could go back to the Voice Commands prior to Siri I would 🤷‍♂️
Siri used to be really good at executing smart home tasks via my HomePod mini. Now it just gives an error tone or simply does nothing with so much consistency I just made a bunch of shortcuts on my iPhone instead. When I ask Siri to run one of those shortcuts, it frequently tells me it cannot find that device in my home. But I can open the Home app and control the device just fine.

When I ask Siri information about current events, or basic web searches, it makes me read through unhelpful "results" on my iPhone instead of reading aloud an answer like other voice assistants do.

All of these things worked well with Siri prior to iOS 16. Since then, it get worse each year.

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
Siri is absolutely horrible. And this piece was written by someone living in the USA. If you’re not living in the USA or are using Siri in a different language, you have even less options. People aren’t even using it on their Apple Watch (anymore) even though using fingers to control an Apple Watch is clunky at best.

Yes, Apple should start over and we should really question Apple about why it got so bad. The Speakable items in good ol’ Mac OS X had more power than current Siri with their roots going back 25 years!

Reactions: Morod and arkitect

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I really don't care. I hardly use Siri as it is besides simple things like timers, play a song and no problems with it. I don't need an AI anticipating or anything trying to "help" me by screwing up. And would disable that crap if possible.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
I never use Siri and when I do in the car she typically says, “This is what I found, check it out!”
If they replace her I hope it is with something that we don’t have to waterboard information out of ‘em.

Anappleaday29

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2022
The foundation for a good assistant is there, but they should really dedicate some manpower to actually improving it.
And it does need a new name.
They could call Siri "Sirious" instead

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
The only thing I dislike about Siri is that my car requires it to be on for Carplay to function. I never use it.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
“Hey siri, should apple EOL you?”

I’m sorry I don’t know a Siri.

Take whatever you can reuse with Siri, scrap it and rename it.

patlee2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016
Texas, USA

Few features have promised to revolutionize the way we interact with our Apple devices as much as Siri, the company's ubiquitous virtual assistant. Launched in 2011, Siri was introduced as heralding a new era in human-computer interaction, offering an intuitive voice-controlled interface for accessing information, scheduling appointments, sending messages, and much more. The vision was grand: A personal assistant in your pocket, capable of understanding and acting upon a wide array of voice commands with ease and accuracy. So what happened?

Should-Apple-Kill-Siri-Feature.jpg

Enthusiasm for Siri has undeniably waned in the intervening years. Despite regular updates and improvements from Apple, Siri has struggled to keep pace with its advancing rivals, and in an era of generative AI chatbots and large language models, Siri's failings have only been magnified. Issues ranging from misinterpreted commands to limited contextual understanding have not only hindered Siri's usability but have also led to an almost universal perception of the virtual assistant as a source of user frustration rather than assistance. This persistent underperformance begs the question: Is it time for Apple to kill Siri and start over?

Siri's Birth Pangs

Siri's conceptual roots at Apple can be traced back to the company's early exploration of human-computer interaction. Thirty years ago, Apple commissioned a group of employees to create a video showing how in the future humans might interact with computers using spoken language. The video, known as "Knowledge Navigator," featured a professor chatting with a virtual assistant to perform everyday tasks and academic research. In one of the tasks, the professor asks the assistant to search for a five-year-old publication. The assistant pulls up an article dated 2006, suggesting the video is supposed to be set in September 2011.

The video was criticized at the time for being an unrealistic portrayal of the capacities of a virtual assistant in the foreseeable future. Yet the demonstration inspired developers Adam Cheyer, Dag Kittlaus, and Tom Gruber, who began AI research on virtual assistants at SRI International, a DARPA-funded research laboratory in Menlo Park, California. Their work would result in a spin-out called Siri, named by Kittlaus after a co-worker in Norway. (Siri is short for Sigrid, which has its origins in Old Norse for words meaning "victory" and "beautiful".)

In February 2010, Kittlaus launched Siri as an app on Apple's App Store. Steve Jobs soon began playing with the app and was impressed with how it allowed the user to search the internet by voice. A few weeks later, Apple acquired the start-up. Siri's AI backend was in place, while its voice recognition technology would be supplied by Nuance Communications. Apple subsequently released its Siri virtual assistant (in beta) for the iPhone 4S in October 2011, just one month later than the fictional future in which Knowledge Navigator had been originally envisioned.

Fiction vs. Reality

Apple marketed Siri as more than just a tool — it was your intelligent assistant ready to help with a variety of tasks. Whether setting reminders, sending texts, making phone calls, or finding information online, Siri aimed to streamline it all with a simple voice command. There was nothing like it at the time and the initial results were impressive, but the underlying promise was that Siri would not only understand you but also learn from you, becoming more efficient and personalized over time.

siri-phil-schiller.jpeg

Regular iOS updates in the intervening years have worked towards making Siri more effective and realizing its original promise. Whenever a new iOS feature comes along, Apple usually ensures that it works with Siri, and these days it can be used to identify songs, get driving directions, send money via Apple Pay, and control HomeKit products, to name just a few of its skills. In 2021, Apple announced that Siri would work offline by default – whenever possible, it would process user requests on-device, with the same quality of server-based speech recognition.

siri-iphone-4s-examples.jpg

However, even now, the assistant that was supposed to understand context and grow with the user still faces significant challenges with context, understanding, and integration, regardless of whether it pings Apple's servers or processes requests locally. Many Apple device owners often say it struggles with even basic commands. Indeed, many users believe that, at least in some areas, Siri's abilities have gotten worse over time, especially since the release of iOS 17.

Michael Tsai's blog has done a good job of recording users' more recent frustrations with Siri. Here are just a handful of serial issues some users have recently reported:
  • Setting timers instead of alarms.
  • Bungling music requests (even for purchases that Siri has local access to).
  • Delayed responses over fast data connections.
  • Nonsense responses to conversion requests.
  • Creating notes instead of reminders.
  • Acknowledging requests without acting on them.
  • Overwrought punctuation when dictating.
  • Inability to consistently control smart devices.
The list could go on. But has Siri really gotten more stupid? Could most issues be put down to fringe use cases, or over-expectations in a brave new world of chatbots powered by immensely resource-heavy large-language models? Consider what Walt Mossberg said in 2016, writing for The Verg... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Should Apple Kill Siri and Start Over?
“Hey Apple” 😏😌

mac*jedi*g

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
Dorthy, from The Wizard of Oz asking Siri, instead of Scarecrow: “What would you do with a brain if you had one?”

Siri answered: “I have found several web results if care to switch to your iPhone to view them.”
🫣🤷🏽‍♂️
Enough said. You be the judge.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Outside of using voice commands while driving I still have no use for a voice interface for my phone. Maybe LLMs will change that because they solve the “discoverability” issue (by making almost anything you say actionable). But I’ll always prefer the certainty of using the touch UI to specify what I want vs saying something and praying the right outcome happens.

This isn’t a Siri issue. I have the same issue with Google assistant and Alexa.

Reactions: carswell
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.