Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I don't really care whether they "start over" or just totally overhaul it, keep the name, don't keep the name. I just want to stop doing this [profanity warning]:

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Like many of my MR pals said: yes, Apple should start from scratch and give this AI assistant a new name. Although I don’t think they will, as the name Siri is already pretty iconic.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
You have to keep things in perspective. This forum, like several others, vociferously advocated for how popular, ground-breaking, and sure sales-leader an iPhone mini would be.
Heh. I’m well aware that I’m in an extreme minority, but I purposely updated my mini 12 to a 13 mini because I love the form factor and know its going to be years before an *appropriately* sized iPhone will come around again 😉

Reactions: arkitect

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
I feel like I might be one of the few people who genuinely likes Siri... it's pretty good for anything that doesn't require a web search. 😅

• Love
Reactions: Fraserpatty

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm reasonably knowledgeable about how Siri and modern AI work. I have worked in the field for a long time, I studied AI in grad school way back in the 1980s and have kept up with the technology.

I don't say this to brag, but to make a point: I can talk to Siri and "she" never makes a mistake or mis interprets and the response is usually very fast.

Why? Because I know how the internal processing works and can speak so as to eliminate ambiguity and not require context. I can also pick works that are easy for Siri to interpret. I have been writing code for more than 40 years. "Code" is basically adapting your thinking into a kind of language the computer software can easily process. After 40 years it becomes second nature. I don't speak English to Siri, I speak "Sirian" to Siri. It works.

So what I am saying is that the present Siri is very useful to someone with the relevant skills. But the converse is also true "Siri is not so useful to someone without the relevant skills." I watch many people who try to use Siri and talk to it as if it were actually intelligent and understood English. These are the users who are frustrated.

It is not an age thing, I know someone over 80 who has about zero computer skills but has learned to talk in simple three word sentences. But he still gets tripped up because he thinks Siri can remember context and he has not figured out the set of hard-coded keywords that always work. Further, he has not figured out what Siri can process on-device and what has to be sent off to the cloud. On-device is faster.

I can do all of this but most people can't

Should Apple start over? No. A lot of what Siri does works well. The LAST thing we want is for Siri to become GPTchat where we can ask it for a short biography of George Washington's granddaughter "Kate". The chat program will be happy to do what you ask. But we know GW never had children. LLM and generative AI in general is good at "making up facts". We would prefer that Siri looks up facts and is able to cite references

Yes, Siri needs an overhaul, maybe a re-write but MUCH of Sir can be reused particularly the back-end that does searches and interfaces with the local OS and the front end that does acoustic processing. The text to voice system is not bad either.

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Unlike (apparently) everyone on the planet, I actually do not have huge issues with Siri and do not think that it should be killed as a brand. Note that my use of Siri is relatively frequent but also grounded in reality of what Siri is, and I am OK with that. I use it to launch music, playlists in Apple Music, send and read received texts, set reminders, ask simple questions on when this or that store closes, start directions when on Bluetooth. I use a few Siri shortcuts. That works fine too.

Most of my use is via BT or maybe CarPlay or on my Apple Watch.

Can Siri be made smarter and better? Certainly. Is it so broken it needs to be killed? Nope. Do people today think Siri should be ChatGPT? I dunno. I never expected that it should.

Personally, I am encouraged with what I read of direction (on-device language models) - which would be more important to me than asking Siri to create a PowerShell script for me.

Serqetry

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2023
Absolutlely not.. Siri has never been as bad as most people say, and she's from a time before real AI.

She's got a good name and a good voice. I look forward to her brain transplant with great excitement.

acronk

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2023
I know that's the Apple way, but if it were true re: Siri, Siri would be "right" by now. It really feels like they released it and then more-or-less abandoned it.
It's just so bad. I don't know of a worse technical product (outside of the government) that still lives today.

Reactions: macaddiict

Patroclus

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2019
I personally don’t use Siri. My wife does, every day, at work. Hey siri, call John A, call Peter B, …
Hey siri, set a timer, hey siri set a second timer
It does work. I’m curious to know from all the 10 or 100 of million request per day, how many fail?
Some tech takes a while to mature, especially when it’s related to language.
People not pronouncing correctly, accent, talking too fast , background noise …
I’ve used it on few occasion and it works, dictate a response.
My 6 years old grand son has used his grand ma phone to send us a text.
Let’s not exaggerate.
Apple just need to enhance it.
Apple already use AI in their product , and they’re probably going to add more AI in Mail, Page, and other software.

We’re so spoiled. Be patient.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
At this point I would take consistency with bad responses from Siri. I could work with consistency. No consistency with Siri today an impossible task. My solution, use the App. Consistent, visual, quickly analyze what needs to be done, your fired Siri!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
So what I am saying is that the present Siri is very useful to someone with the relevant skills.
If you have to have specialized skills to talk to a virtual assistant, it's failing.

I keep Siri in a little conceptual box where I only ask limited things of it -- "add milk to the grocery list" or "set a 15 minute timer" -- but if I try anything new, half the time I end up swearing at the thing because it's so infuriatingly dumb.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
No one has a use for 8 homepods.
Wow, you really know everyone's needs, huh?

I have an apartment and have three, in different rooms because I like to have music all over without blasting the volume from one place. Very easy to see how someone in a medium sized house could have 8.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I dictate notes which frequently use the phrase “a series of…“ and constantly have to deal with Siri suddenly activating and interrupting me. But when you do need it, it never seems to work properly. Arrgh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.