Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Totally disagree with this.

I was on iOS 6 for a year after iOS 7 came out. All of my apps continued to work fine. I never once complained that the devs weren't supporting me because I was on an older OS.

I'm not a gamer (I use my Macs for that) but I do use my phone for calls, texts and email. iOS 6 can still handle phone calls, iMessage/SMS and email! Facebook worked just fine too. And if it had broken I would have just used my browser.

And here's the thing. If Apple would allow that and people want to bitch about it then all they'd have to do is upgrade.

So, no, I don't buy this argument at all. Sorry!

very different for 1 year than for 3 years but you won't agree so...

If you want a phone that old and with old IOS just never upgrade it and have fun. How is Windows 3.1 by the way

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
very different for 1 year than for 3 years but you won't agree so...

If you want a phone that old and with old IOS just never upgrade it and have fun. How is Windows 3.1 by the way
I would, but the two times I needed to give Apple my iPhone for warranty replacement I got back iOS 7 and then 8 in that order. Kind of hard to stay on iOS 6 and never upgrade when the replacement phone keeps coming with upgrades and Apple won't let you downgrade.

If I could downgrade I'd have kept to myself and wouldn't even be commenting in this thread.

As to Windows 3.1, I have to say I don't know. I was always a DOS person and didn't move to Win95 until the handwriting was on the wall.

You could however, ask me how OS X 10.5.8 on my 2001 era PowerMac G4 Quicksilver is though! I'm typing this message on it and it's fantastic! :D

2015-12-19 09.35.59.jpg

Reactions: StarkCity

happyfrappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2007
Location eh?
Would you be ok if some business other than Apple told you how you could or could not use your coffee maker, your toaster or your television?

Oh sure, the customer can leave. That's always the solution! If you don't like it just leave. Otherwise just shut up and eat the crap they give you!

It worked extremely great with Green Mountain, nobody wanted K2.0 machines until 3rd party coffee places offered a jailbreak sensor cover and the company spiraled downwards from there.

When it comes to Apple they've already ruined iTunes on OS X and iOS 7+, when I got my iPhone 6S had to upgrade to the iSoreTunes and now my old iPod Touch 4th generation refuses to sync... yet a plain old iPod 5th Gen works. Apple is slowly rotting from the inside out like Microsoft, stupid moves for changing UI for little reason will just further erode loyalty/trust.

Reactions: eyoungren

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
Apple shouldn't intentionally attempt to block downgrades, but they shouldn't go out of their way to facilitate downgrades either. In other words, Apple shouldn't block the signing window for older iOS versions, but there shouldn't be any documentation or an option in Settings to seamlessly downgrade.

That way, Apple can keep most iPhone users on the latest iOS version while satisfying those audacious enough to downgrade at the same time.

Reactions: iOSUser7

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Apple shouldn't intentionally attempt to block downgrades, but they shouldn't go out of their way to facilitate downgrades either. In other words, Apple shouldn't block the signing window for older iOS versions, but there shouldn't be any documentation or an option in Settings to seamlessly downgrade.

That way, Apple can keep most iPhone users on the latest iOS version while satisfying those audacious enough to downgrade at the same time.

A nice thought but impossible to do. Why... because what happens if you call them and ask them how to downgrade.

They couldn't 'not tell' you if it were supported.

It would be great if this was supported, but I'm afraid it's a pipe dream.

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
Apple attitude on this matter frankly stinks and its not limited to iOS, its the same with OS X.

Except that it's not, of course, you can at any time install any version of OS X on your device back down to the original version the device shipped with.

Don't let those pesky facts get in the way.

Ternary

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2015
A nice thought but impossible to do. Why... because what happens if you call them and ask them how to downgrade.

They couldn't 'not tell' you if it were supported.

It would be great if this was supported, but I'm afraid it's a pipe dream.
Apple could resolve this by stating somewhere that software downgrades count as "unauthorized modifications of iOS," meaning that it'll void your warranty/service claims. This will likely dissuade many users from downgrading and allow them to disregard, but not anger, potential downgraders.

fit24

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2015
I don't have an iOS 4S or 5 but I don't believe Apple will allow downgrades; what criteria determines which devices are allowed to downgrade to which iOS version? I think it's simpler and easier for Apple to manage and support one iOS version.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it's simpler and easier for Apple to manage and support one iOS version.
Except that they don't.

There are plenty of people out there with older devices on versions of iOS all the way back to 4. And they expect support. And Apple supports them.

I can't iMessage my mom on her iPhone 4 because she's still using iOS 4.x!

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
100% yes. Its our devices and downgrading should be permitted imho. Upgrading your phone or other idevices feels a bit like Russian roulette to me. Sometimes it doesn't work out for the best and you end up trasing your own device. I no longer jump on board to upgrade anymore.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
so, to all the people complaining about this, were you not aware that apple did not have a way to downgrade your software version before you purchased your last iOS device?

I don't think lots people aware that. At least I have came across many people asking if they can go back to pervious version.

This is exactly reason I am moving away from iPhone entirely. Yes, I have iPhone 6S, but I rearely use it. And I have flashed different ROM on my Android phone to suit my needs. If I am not happy with the stock ROM, then I flash to different one (I did exactly samething with Zenfen 2). Grantlg not lot people know how to flash ROM, but at least it is doable and relatively easy.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Apple will always disallow this by citing security concerns. IMO this should always be up to the user, provided they are given sufficent arning (not hard to just make me click "yes I am ***** sure" a dozen times before allowing a downgrade. Barring some law, they won't ever do it though./

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Except that they don't.

There are plenty of people out there with older devices on versions of iOS all the way back to 4. And they expect support. And Apple supports them.

I can't iMessage my mom on her iPhone 4 because she's still using iOS 4.x!
I ask, because I don't know...
You mentioned Apple still supports older iOS. In what capacity? In the limited experience that I have had bringing devices in with older firmware, the first step to troubleshooting has always bee to update to the latest firmware, irrelgardless of my wishes. Are you saying they will repair and troubleshoot devices running iOS 4.0 (just using your example), or am I misunderstanding>?

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It worked extremely great with Green Mountain, nobody wanted K2.0 machines until 3rd party coffee places offered a jailbreak sensor cover and the company spiraled downwards from there.
Completely off topic, but I read this so I am commenting lol.

We just got a 2.0 because our seven year old keurig finally crapped out. It actually makes much better coffee than the first one ever did (really, I was amazed), but there was an issue with some of our biodegradable pods; some don't read and give an error.

I wrote kurig and they basically sent me a $50 check. I removed the foil off of a pod that works and just put that over these pods as well. I wasn;t about to throw away ten boxes of pods that I bought fopr $2 each, but I did want to hear what keurig would say, and was pleased.

The 2.0 reader was a dirty move, but I can understand why they did it considering companies were essentially stealing their technology and not paying them. In the end, only the consumer suffered though, and I think they realized that. They even make self fillable pods now that work with the 2.0 system. It isn't really serving their goals as I think they hoped.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I ask, because I don't know...
You mentioned Apple still supports older iOS. In what capacity? In the limited experience that I have had bringing devices in with older firmware, the first step to troubleshooting has always bee to update to the latest firmware, irrelgardless of my wishes. Are you saying they will repair and troubleshoot devices running iOS 4.0 (just using your example), or am I misunderstanding>?
My mother had an issue with her 4 the last time she was here. This was before I knew about the Accesibility issue where you could zoom in on your screen.

She was running iOS 4. We showed up at my local Apple store and despite the fact that she was using iOS 4 the genius recognized her situation, did not advise her to update before touching her device and quite simply showed her how to rectify the situation.

She was in and out in a few minutes but got the support and help she needed. With no advice to update.

Now, yes they do advise updating. And if you have a hardware issue or something that's more involved than showing you around the OS they are probably going to ask you to do that.

But Apple had no problem handling an issue that was occuring on iOS 4.x for my mom that didn't require updating.

That's all I'm trying to say.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
My mother had an issue with her 4 the last time she was here. This was before I knew about the Accesibility issue where you could zoom in on your screen.

She was running iOS 4. We showed up at my local Apple store and despite the fact that she was using iOS 4 the genius recognized her situation, did not advise her to update before touching her device and quite simply showed her how to rectify the situation.

She was in and out in a few minutes but got the support and help she needed. With no advice to update.

Now, yes they do advise updating. And if you have a hardware issue or something that's more involved than showing you around the OS they are probably going to ask you to do that.

But Apple had no problem handling an issue that was occuring on iOS 4.x for my mom that didn't require updating.

That's all I'm trying to say.
Wow, that's amazing customer service. Do you think that is the norm? My gut still tells me she got a really nice (and knowledgeable) employee.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Wow, that's amazing customer service. Do you think that is the norm? My gut still tells me she got a really nice (and knowledgeable) employee.
It has been the norm and not the exception at the Apple store I go to (Arrowhead Town Mall, Glendale, Arizona). I took a TiBook in there once to have them confirm it was dead and a 17" PowerBook in 2009 to ask for screws and they accomodated me each time.

It is why it was so disappointing in September to get an arrogant genius who was not about customer service. But in the six years I've gone there that was one time out of many. So, I call it a fluke.

I can't say this is the norm for every Apple store, but it sure is for the one I go to.

Reactions: lordofthereef

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I have an iPhone6S yet until there is a jailbreak for 9.2 I've been using a newly acquired iPhone5 on iOS6.1.3
It's about as fast and there is nothing yet I miss going back a few generations and somethings I miss and am grateful to
have again.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have an iPhone6S yet until there is a jailbreak for 9.2 I've been using a newly acquired iPhone5 on iOS6.1.3
It's about as fast and there is nothing yet I miss going back a few generations and somethings I miss and am grateful to
have again.

No need to explain. iOS 6 is a reason in and of itself. ;)

Reactions: AppleFanatic10

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Something slightly odd, I am not "forced/option" to upgrade with that dreadful settings icon badge reminder. I plug into iTunes and am running WIFI, yet unlike in the past, it hasn't automatically downloaded. Not sure why, but I am pleased.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Something slightly odd, I am not "forced/option" to upgrade with that dreadful settings icon badge reminder. I plug into iTunes and am running WIFI, yet unlike in the past, it hasn't automatically downloaded. Not sure why, but I am pleased.
Automatic downloading of upgrades didn't happen until iOS 7. :D

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Question - I know fewer Android users upgrade that Apple users but. Does Android let users downgrade several versions - so if an Android phone is on version 5 does Android let users downgrade to 3 with a supported software from Android(or their actual phone vendor)? Do they sill provide security and other type updates for 2 or more versions old?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Question - I know fewer Android users upgrade that Apple users but. Does Android let users downgrade several versions - so if an Android phone is on version 5 does Android let users downgrade to 3 with a supported software from Android(or their actual phone vendor)? Do they sill provide security and other type updates for 2 or more versions old?
I don't know why you'd want to. The older the Android version, the crappier it gets, lol. iOS seems to be the opposite. Older versions like iOS 6 were very fast. Having said that, you can root your Android and put whatever custom ROM you want on your device if your device is capable. I prefer the Nexus phones for this because Google makes it very easy to do this. And yes you can downgrade as long as the downgrade is supported on that device. They don't lock you out of older versions, the version just needs to support that device.

Example: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images?hl=en

You can downgrade the 6 down to 5.0. You can downgrade the 7 all the way back to 4.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You can downgrade. The carriers and manufacturers make it a little difficult to find System Downgrade images but it's doable.

As far as support, that's up to the manufacturer and your carrier.

You have to understand that while Google provides the basic Android OS the carriers and the manufacturers can modify it to suit their liking. That includes locking some stuff.

In the same way, Google does not control support - because it's not Google you are getting your device (and Android) from.

The story is entirely different however if you buy a device direct from Google. Google devices come unlocked and there is none of the crapware you get from the carriers and manufacturers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.