Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
^ ^

Unless you get a Nexus device. Then you get updates directly from Google and don't have to worry about carrier nonsense. Then it's like the iPhone in that way ... you get updates right away and don't have to wait.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
^ ^

Unless you get a Nexus device. Then you get updates directly from Google and don't have to worry about carrier nonsense. Then it's like the iPhone in that way ... you get updates right away and don't have to wait.
Right! Because Google makes the Nexus, correct?

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Right! Because Google makes the Nexus, correct?
Yes, exactly. :)

Anyway back to the main topic ... yes I think they should ... the user should be able to make that choice, not Apple. When an OS upgrade makes a device almost unusable, it is unfair to punish a user for having an older device. But planned obsolescence is Apple's business model, so this is never going to change.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It has been the norm and not the exception at the Apple store I go to (Arrowhead Town Mall, Glendale, Arizona). I took a TiBook in there once to have them confirm it was dead and a 17" PowerBook in 2009 to ask for screws and they accomodated me each time.

It is why it was so disappointing in September to get an arrogant genius who was not about customer service. But in the six years I've gone there that was one time out of many. So, I call it a fluke.

I can't say this is the norm for every Apple store, but it sure is for the one I go to.
That's awesome! Glad they're taking care of you :)

My experiences have been good, but the two times my mom had to take her phone in the first thing they did was claim an update had tohappen (we did it, it wasn't the problem lol but we also didn't NOT want to update).

The first time it was in THousand Oaks, CA. Second was Nashua, NH (but stores in Nashua are notorious for only caring about getting sales since MA folks hop the boarder to avoid taxes lol). That Nashua store has some pretty arrogant A holes though, in general. I was there for the iPhone 6 Plus launch (have been to all launches except the 6s plus which I ordered over the phone to get launch day) and it was the worst experience I have ever had. Unruly crowd was part of it, but the managers were just being completely rude to people threatening to not give them phones. Then they just picked a random person in the crowd to be the front of the line and didn't care who had been there how long. ANyway.... too large of a tangenet. I need to move to AZ lol.

Reactions: eyoungren

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yes, exactly. :)

Anyway back to the main topic ... yes I think they should ... the user should be able to make that choice, not Apple. When an OS upgrade makes a device almost unusable, it is unfair to punish a user for having an older device. But planned obsolescence is Apple's business model, so this is never going to change.
I just got rid of our iPad mini because iOS 8 crippled it (that and we never used it beforehand). I jailbroke it to try and get some more life out of it but it was just painful to use. Got $150 out of it somehow, so that's fine for me lol.

I wish the "rules" of PCs applied to phones and tablets. The world would riot if Apple or Microsoft forced no downgrades on desktops and laptops. They'd riot, too, if they told people they could only buy applications sold through ONE store. Here people are on these pages screaming about net neutrality when, IMO, Apple has already set a dangerous software distribution and lincensing precedent. I am not claiming Apple is breaking laws here (they may or may not be, I do not know). I'm just saddened by how much we have, as consumers, accepted incredible restrictions when compared to how things were a decade ago.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's awesome! Glad they're taking care of you :)

My experiences have been good, but the two times my mom had to take her phone in the first thing they did was claim an update had tohappen (we did it, it wasn't the problem lol but we also didn't NOT want to update).

The first time it was in THousand Oaks, CA. Second was Nashua, NH (but stores in Nashua are notorious for only caring about getting sales since MA folks hop the boarder to avoid taxes lol). That Nashua store has some pretty arrogant A holes though, in general. I was there for the iPhone 6 Plus launch (have been to all launches except the 6s plus which I ordered over the phone to get launch day) and it was the worst experience I have ever had. Unruly crowd was part of it, but the managers were just being completely rude to people threatening to not give them phones. Then they just picked a random person in the crowd to be the front of the line and didn't care who had been there how long. ANyway.... too large of a tangenet. I need to move to AZ lol.
I'm just glad that these were my first experiences. I tend to not do well with bad service. I may still continue to give a company my business but I often find a different store to do so. Just changed my McDonalds this week because the store I went to on Monday decided that they needed to do system upgrades during the lunch hour which meant my gift card was useless because they started doing all transactions by hand, cash only.

Who does that (system upgrades in the middle of the day with customers in store)?

So, yeah, glad my experience was positive with Apple from the beginning. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.