Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Capcom is trying to test the market with REVIII. If it does well on MacOS, then it is a possibility.
Bad title to test the market, isn’t it? RE Village sales were really poor and nowhere near what they expected.
No idea if that’s due to not really being a Resident Evil game anymore or because it’s graphically piss-poor looking compared to other new titles. So if more is coming, then either because they got some cash for it (RE and MH using the same engine) or because Capcom managed to salvage sales to get closer to their estimates for RE Village. If nothing is coming, it’s a failed experiment.

Or… they’re planning to enter the mobile game market for iPhones and this is their entry ticket. Don’t forget what Nintendo tried a few years ago, we had Miyamoto on stage showing of a iOS Mario game and it went nowhere in the end. I think sales were a little poor on Mario back then as well. I would have bought a real Mario game for iOS. Funny enough, Nintendo went all in back then on the Chinese market and released a full HD version of Super Mario Galaxy for the NVidia Shield.

Reactions: JMacHack

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Hmm, RE Village sold over 6m so far as of now. Not sure if that should be considered bad.
For a Resident Evil game that was released on multiple major platforms and was supposed to bring the franchise back on track, I'd say it's very bad. At least by todays standard. 10 or 20 years ago, 6M+ sales would have been great. RE2 sold about as much on PS1 in the late 90s with a bad port to the N64 which added 300k or so sales. They wanted to get back to RE4/5/6 levels, which would have required twice the amount of sales. RE7 sold more than 10M copies and even the RE2 remake which was mostly bought by hardcore RE fans such as myself sold much better.

Can't blame them for trying, but I feel a lack of effort. RE7 abandoned the classical RE franchise and went in another direction. It could have been any horror game. RE8 did the same and in addition to that, the graphics on that look like it's from a pre-2015 game which I just realized now looking at it again. It looks shockingly bad.

If Capcom would like to make up for it, full remake treatment for Code Veronica and RE0 please.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
For a Resident Evil game that was released on multiple major platforms and was supposed to bring the franchise back on track, I'd say it's very bad. At least by todays standard. 10 or 20 years ago, 6M+ sales would have been great. RE2 sold about as much on PS1 in the late 90s with a bad port to the N64 which added 300k or so sales. They wanted to get back to RE4/5/6 levels, which would have required twice the amount of sales. RE7 sold more than 10M copies and even the RE2 remake which was mostly bought by hardcore RE fans such as myself sold much better.

RE7 took almost 2 years to reach 6m and it reached 10m this year, 5 years after its initial release. RE2R took 3 years to sell more than 9m. RE Village sold over 6m in a year and it is selling faster than REVII and about as same pace as RE2R.

Reactions: Irishman and Homy

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Gotta quote myself...
Or… they’re planning to enter the mobile game market for iPhones and this is their entry ticket.
Doh, turns out they've used the exactly same engine for all their games including iOS, Windows, Playstation, Nintendo, whatever all along. So no new engine to enter the iOS market.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
RE7 took almost 2 years to reach 6m and it reached 10m this year, 5 years after its initial release. RE2R took 3 years to sell more than 9m. RE Village sold over 6m in a year and it is selling faster than REVII and about as same pace as RE2R.
RE7 sold right away and crossed 10M+ due to reduced pricing. Same for the original RE2 (not the remake), for which sales numbers were reported in March 99. RE5/6 sold more in the same year and RE4 took two years for that because it was only on GC first and after that deal with Nintendo expired came to PS2 in the same year and then the Wii Edition later which gave it another massive sales bump of 2M+ copies. In any case, Capcom expected RE Village to do much better as the return to the classical franchise.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
RE7 sold right away and crossed 10M+ due to reduced pricing. Same for the original RE2 (not the remake), for which sales numbers were reported in March 99. RE5/6 sold more in the same year and RE4 took two years for that because it was only on GC first and after that deal with Nintendo expired came to PS2 in the same year and then the Wii Edition later which gave it another massive sales bump of 2M+ copies. In any case, Capcom expected RE Village to do much better as the return to the classical franchise.

Not really sure what you are trying to argue but it is simply false in saying RE8 sold poorly because it is selling at faster rate than RE7. I expect it will cross 10m before RE7 reached that miestone.

Reactions: Irishman

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Not really sure what you are trying to argue but it is simply false in saying RE8 sold poorly because it is selling at faster rate than RE7. I expect it will cross 10m before RE7 reached that miestone.
I'm saying Capcom expected it to do better, that's all. They also expected RE7 to sell better. Both didn't live up to their expectation, which I absolutely understand as it's not classical RE anymore and fans are disappointed. It's the same for Nintendo, Super Mario Run sold about 6M copies and was abandoned due to poor sales. They expected this to do much, much better. It took Odyssey to get Mario back on the track and it will take a "proper" Resident Evil game to do the same for the franchise.

Since Capcom is using the same engine for all platforms now, RE Village is a "cheap" port for them. However, they'd probably do much better bringing Monster Hunter World over which clocked in 25M+ sales for two titles.

Kpjoslee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I'm saying Capcom expected it to do better, that's all. They also expected RE7 to sell better. Both didn't live up to their expectation, which I absolutely understand as it's not classical RE anymore and fans are disappointed.

RE7 was a disappointment initially but it was selling steadly enough to cross 10m (it didn't go well with hardcore RE fans, but received well enough outside of their hardcore base) and actually made a positive impact on RE8 sales. RE8 more or less sold well within Capcom's expectations, and I am simply arguing that it isn't a correct statement in saying it sold poorly.

it will take a "proper" Resident Evil game to do the same for the franchise.

They are catering to that audience by releasing remakes of their beloved RE1-4. I like the direction of where RE is heading.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Or… they’re planning to enter the mobile game market for iPhones and this is their entry ticket. Don’t forget what Nintendo tried a few years ago, we had Miyamoto on stage showing of a iOS Mario game and it went nowhere in the end. I think sales were a little poor on Mario back then as well. I would have bought a real Mario game for iOS. Funny enough, Nintendo went all in back then on the Chinese market and released a full HD version of Super Mario Galaxy for the NVidia Shield.
Super Mario Run? I'm pissed because it was an excellent game, but it seems too many dumb dumbs were actually expecting the whole game to be free when the game was "shareware"... try the first world for free, and pay a one time fee of $10 to unlock the full game. From then on, it was only the "free-to-play" with MTX pay model :(

It makes sense for Nintendo to NOT have their full fledged games on iOS (and the greater mobile + tablet). People have argued you can always connect external controls, but there doesn't seem to be a large market for that. I like how SMR is optimized for phones. They didn't try to shoehorn an entire, AAA Mario game into a phone or tablet. Another issue is Nintendo has their own hardware. They want people to buy their hardware for those games, not unlike how Apple wants people to buy their hardware for specific features. "People who love software should make their own hardware" was that Steve Jobs quote.

Homy

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2006
Sweden
Mac is getting Resident Evil Village. Seems like Apple talked to Capcom (maybe threw some money their way?).

Wonder if Capcom will do Monster Hunter in MacOS.
Mac is also getting No Man's Sky and Grid Legends. Psychonauts 2 was recently released for Mac too.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
It’s not my kind of game. But I’m glad they are not totally ignoring the gaming potential of the Apple Silicon Macs.
Honestly I prefer the older Resident Evil games (or the current remakes of the older ones). RE Village isn’t fun for me.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Assuming the Steam version gets the Mac release, is no one else excited about trying No Mans Sky on macOS vs Steam Deck?

I am somewhat concerned about RE8 though. I can't seem to find the post now, but what I saw seemed to indicate the game uses MetalFX to do 1080p on the M2 and 4k on the Studio. Or at least the sentence seemed to read that way.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Assuming the Steam version gets the Mac release, is no one else excited about trying No Mans Sky on macOS vs Steam Deck?

I am somewhat concerned about RE8 though. I can't seem to find the post now, but what I saw seemed to indicate the game uses MetalFX to do 1080p on the M2 and 4k on the Studio. Or at least the sentence seemed to read that way.

For my taste, the form factor of the Steam Deck is closer to the iPad Mini or an iPhone than a Mac, so, if I’m trying one or the other, the Mac will win, every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.